Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Oxygen tank regulator

cheeky monkey
2005-10-02, 11:04am
Wondering why the pressure changes (low pressure guage) while I am using it? I get it all dialed in sweetly and then within 10 minutes or so it has jumped up to twice the pressure I started with! Any ideas? I have performed all my leak tests and everything was fine. I even read the manual (ha - YES) and saw nothing in it about that. The propane guage stays just fine, it is the oxy that is a problem. ](*,)

Mr. Smiley
2005-10-02, 12:41pm
Not sure exactly why it would do this, but I would suggest calling a local welding shop. I know my guys service regulators, so they should have an answer if one doesn't come come along here. :D

Dale M.
2005-10-02, 7:30pm
Does it stay at the "jumped up" pressure or does it vary as time goes on?

Dale M.

cheeky monkey
2005-10-03, 5:00pm
it seems to stay at the jumped up pressure. Like if i set my propane to 3 and my oxy to 5 the oxy goes up well beyond 10 within maybe 15 minutes? I am usually so busy playing i lose track of time but now i see it happen every time. It as BRAND NEW set up, new hoses , regulators etc. Any ideas? :confused:

MikeAurelius
2005-10-04, 5:30am
Look at the 2nd dial of the regulator, the one that shows the line pressure going to your torch. What is the maximum pressure shown on the guage?

I'm guessing you have a high pressure regulator, and the problem is that you are trying to set a pressure for which the regulator is not accurate. This is a fairly common problem and can be resolved by purchasing a low pressure regulator from a local welding shop - they may need to order it, but for lampworking on glass, you need a regulator that has a maximum pressure of between 30 and 60 PSI.

If your regulator goes to 120 or higher, you are trying to set a pressure in the lower 5% of the regulator range, and they are just plain not designed to work properly that low.

cheeky monkey
2005-10-04, 10:02am
I sure hope I have the right regulator! I got the hoses, torch and regulators from the glass shop that teaches beadmaking and glass working and sells all the supplies. I am at work right now and will check this out when I get home.

cheeky monkey
2005-10-21, 6:27am
I found mention several times of setting the pressure higher than what my torch says to do. It has somethign to do with utilizing the regulatros correctly? Here is what one Arrow Springs says: "We recommend the following pressures:"
· 20 to 25 pounds for oxygen
· 10 to 15 pounds for propane

So i'll try it. It appears the 'standard' is 3 propane, 5 oxy but i have also seen deviations. What are y'all doing? (I have a new Mini CC- instructs say 3-5 ratio)