Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Soldering with My Minor Torch

Virginia
2007-05-08, 6:47pm
Hi, Ok, this is just the star of this tutorial - want to get it started, and then will take photos as I go along, actually making some of these Findings. There are things that you need, and I have posted pictures of them, but it beats having to buy an entire new torch. I find that this is easier and cleaner than using my Acetalyne and oyxgen as I HATE the soot involved with Acetalyne. A Lot of jewelers that I know have switched to propane, as it is considerable cleaner. By the way - I have 40 years experience as a custom Gold and Jewelry designer, gold and silversmith, wax carver, stone setter, etc. etc. Over the years I have done work for such people as the elder Mrs. Nordstrom and Fox's fine Jewelry, and have worked inhouse for many large Jewelers and designed lines of jewelry for several Manufactures. I barely touch the stuff anymore, as glass has stolen my life!!! - BUT, if you read some thread, you will find that a lot of the big jewelry shows, won't accept your work, no matter how great it is, unless you make your own findings. Find your own style and have a ball - I have put pics of three styles I have used recently - and will start with those photos and then move onto the tools and chemicals you need. - Virginia

Virginia
2007-05-08, 6:56pm
Ok, the first Chemical you will use is a Borax. This will keep the fire scale off and make the solder flow well, and just generally makes things work better. You mix it with denatured Alcohol, and keep it in a glass jar with a tight lid. Depending on what I do, I either dip the pieces I am working with into the jar of Borax, or else I use a brush to put the borax on what I am soldering, if it is a larger piece. You then put what you are soldering into the flame and burn off the mixtures. Do this carefully, if you have left too much on, the alcohol will drop off, BURNING!!! - so do be careful.

Next, you need a flux, that you put only on the joint you are soldering. This makes it possible for the solder to flow and if you place it carefully on just where you are soldering, it helps control where the solder flows.

Third - after you have soldered something, you drop it into an acid bath. Nearly every jewelery I know uses a old crock pot to hold their acid in. You mix it in water and the crock pot keeps it warm. I am currenly using a small "wax" crock pot that I got at a garage sale. It works great - will show it in the pics of doing the actual soldering.

Virginia
2007-05-08, 7:05pm
I included a picture of my jewelry monster - I love it - it is part of a very expensive piece of equipement, but you can get much less "extra hands" thru most jewelry supply places. You just need it to have two ends, so that it holds what you are soldering together, while you bring it to the torch, since you are moving your work, instead of your torch.
Also in the one photo is my very messy solder block, you can get them in all kinds of shapes and sizes. Tweezers that are closed, that you pinch to open, a solder pic, but a real graphite pencil point works even better, and a solder cutter.

Virginia
2007-05-08, 7:06pm
oh, yeah, that doesn't have anything to do with jewelry, that is my little lap dog, trying to kiss my Dad -

Virginia
2007-05-08, 7:09pm
these are the beginning componets of a simple SS closure. I will show you how I make and cut the links and will take photos of the process of soldering them - this is all for toady - as I am exhausted from putting togther a storage shed that took four days instead of the few hours they said it would, LOL, I didn't really believe them did i????#-o

anyway, more tomorrow or the next day - Virginia

Starrr
2007-05-08, 9:13pm
Virginia,

This is great! I'll be following the thread as you post more.

bubblebabeuk
2007-05-08, 11:49pm
This is a fab idea! I'll be watching with interest, I rated it as well! but I can't seem to right click the text and copy, to do myself a printed copy of the tut? I don't understand why? I'm on Firefox maybe its that?

Okay my PC was just possessed, its working now! PMSL! how very odd!

rainygrrl
2007-05-09, 9:02am
Thanks for doing this Virginia, and I love the bonus picture of your dad and puppy!

LAJ
2007-05-09, 9:13am
Virginia, you're the best! Thank you SO much for posting this!

Raven Wylder
2007-05-09, 9:21am
Thank you so much! I'll be stalking this thread!

Armstrong
2007-05-09, 9:50am
Great, thanks for this! I haven't bought an additional torch for soldering yet, was planning on doing that next week. With this thread I may not have to!

Ana

Wonker
2007-05-09, 10:10am
wow...this is terrific. Thanks for all of the work in getting this going.

Virginia
2007-05-09, 10:13am
Thanks for your kind comments - I am going to do some MAJOR soldering on a HUGE silver bracelet in a few weeks. On my regular torch, I could never have gotten as much heat as I would need, but will be able to get it on my minor. With silver, the solder will NOT flow, untill the entire piece is hot enough - whereas with Gold, the solder will flow in just the spot you put heat. If I was still soldering tiny heads into jewelry, and doing more delicate gold work, I would still use my regular torch. Just cause I would need more control than bringing the piece to the torch, but I think if you are just doing simple soldering, you really wouldn't need a second torch - V

Islandgirl
2007-05-10, 2:56am
Can you show us a picture of your torch and how you hold it when your soldering... I know that requires a second person to take the picture but that's my problem I use my minor for soldering silver but it's still attached to the base so that I have something to hold onto!

Lynne

Just Nancy
2007-05-10, 4:13am
My mother used to do jewelry and I watched her for hours with her torch. (Kind of like a hot head on a bottle of propane, but not really.) She worked mostly in silver. (Except for my wedding rings, and specific requests.)

I recently asked about her tools and for instructions. She's forgotten everything she knew. I'm thrilled to see your pictures. Even if I never do a thing it is a trip down memory lane. Thanks.

Beautiful work.

Sarabella
2007-05-10, 4:47am
Thanks Virginia - I did some silversmithing a number of years ago and sure could use a refresher - can't wait to see what's next!

Sally

Virginia
2007-05-10, 8:29am
Hi, I was going to finish this today, but the gallery called, I have to work for them today, but tomorrow, I will finish this thread.
Lynne - I am going to take pics of the entire process - as best I can. I do leave my torch in place - that is why I love my "jewelry monster", it holds onto the work while I bring it into the flame. You can get much cheaper models - I will post some pics of some of the "other hand" models you can use - it just has to have two ends - More tomorrow, I am afriad, off to the gallery for today - V

Virginia
2007-05-13, 9:07am
Ok, pics later today!!! off to work on them right now. - V

jaccarney
2007-05-14, 8:41am
i went out yesterday and bought my very own 'jewelry monster' so i'm all set and waiting with slobbering mouth for the rest of the tutorial :) too exciting!!

Glass Gardens
2007-05-14, 7:24pm
Thanks so Much Virginia! I took a silversmithing class about 15 years ago and still have all the chemicals and silver and I think I only need the flux. I was having a dilema about acetlyne tanks. Now this opens a whole new world with what I already have. Now I just have to set up polishing wheels. Thanks again.

Juliac
2007-05-17, 7:05am
Hi Virginia, hope you are well. I'm looking forward to your tut. Will you be doing a basic jump ring solder? I would love to learn about that.
Julia

smutboy420
2007-05-17, 8:11am
Nice.
I see a lot of cross over from metal to glass and visa versa.
I my self ran a silver casting shop for about 10 years before getting in to glass. Latly I have been playing around with wax casting. And also building casting equiptment.

bubblebabeuk
2007-05-17, 9:19am
Any progress on this? really look forward to see this tutorial finished.

fyrebeadz*
2007-05-18, 8:34am
I'm wondering the same.............

flamemoth
2007-05-19, 6:44pm
This is such a generous undertaking, I can't wait to see this in its entirety. Hope all is well with you Virginia...we're all waiting with bated breath..:)

LAJ
2007-05-20, 7:40pm
Virginia, I hope all is well with you. I'm a little bit concerned since last week you posted that you were off to take pictures & would post them later. It's now a week later & we haven't heard from you. No pressure, I'm just checking to see if everything's OK.

Virginia
2007-05-23, 9:13am
Sorry - was on my way out to do this and Dad called (85) and needed help, had to run do that - it is why I am living here. Then the gallery called - Nelsons wife is really ill - had to work there all week, and as some of you know, my health isn't all that good, so I have just been in a state of collapse - got this bit of an update, and then discovered I don't have any tiny saw blades, so hopefully I will be able to pick some up today, and get going on this - REALLy appologise for all you that are waiting - will get it squeezed in somehow - Anyway - these are really simple tools for making jump rings - you can buy expensive stuff, but this is a old clamp I got at a garage sale - sterling silver wire and one of my mandrels - you can find all kinds of round things the size of the jump rings you want to make - the big thing is to cut them with a thin saw blade, NOT clip them - that will be coming next - thanks for your patience - Virginia

LAJ
2007-05-23, 10:04am
Virginia, no need to apologize. I was just getting worried about you. I'm glad everything's OK. You're doing US a favor, so take your time. As much as I'd love to see this tutorial, there's no need for you to stress yourself over it.

beadgal1
2007-05-23, 10:18am
Thank you for taking time to post on soldering...I also have a minor torch,
sell my beads in my jewelry, but have not done any soldering of linking jump
rings. How do you protect your finished piece of jewelry when soldering?
maureen reenie beads

hannabiggs
2007-05-23, 10:21am
This is so exciting! Thanks for doing this Virginia.

G.L.McBead
2007-05-23, 11:16am
You say to use Borax but in the pic. it's Boric Acid.
I get mixed up easy,wich one is it?
Thanks,
G.

Blair
2007-05-23, 11:46am
Good to know you're OK! Life has a nasty habit of getting in the way sometimes, don't it? :grin: I know we all really appreciate you posting this info!

bubblebabeuk
2007-05-23, 1:22pm
Thanks for taking the time to keep plowing on with this, hope your other issues get sorted out for you soon! Hugs

fyrebeadz*
2007-05-23, 4:29pm
take your time sweetie, take care of yourself first!!!!!! None of us is going anywhere so whenever you get around to posting this info is fine!

Raven Wylder
2007-05-23, 7:42pm
Oh gosh, hon! No need to apologize, take your time - you're doing a favor for us by even writing this up. Donna's right, whenever you get around to posting is perfectly fine!

caspertorch
2007-05-23, 8:09pm
Ooooooooo I just saw this....WOW thanks Virginia! Can't wait to see it all! What a Big project...

Juliac
2007-05-25, 2:56pm
Glad to see you post Virginia. Take your time, please don't feel pressured. This is wonderful.

Virginia
2007-05-28, 1:21pm
Ok, next step - I am going to make a large link necklace - I luckly have a tapered mandrel I use for big links but you can use a large mandrel. At the local hardware store, they have hollow stainless steel mandrels, already cut - don't know what they are ment for, but that is where I get may larger stainless steel mandrels - there are at the welders scrap pile.
Anway - I put a little instructions on the pictures. Just wind tighly and evenly. With the large links, I hammer the links lightly, it helps they stay in the right shape.
I have a very fancy thing to hold onto the links while I cut them, but used that same old plyers, so you can see you can do this without a lot of expense.
Then be sure to SAW the links - don't clip with wire cutters. Solder will NOT flow if there is any gaps. I will go thru the entire process, hopefully tomorrow - every time I think I have a day to myself - it doesn't happen, so I am off again, but this is at least the next step - Virginia

Virginia
2007-05-28, 1:25pm
Before you solder the links - push the ends past each other - this makes a tiny tension, then bring them back together for a really clean connection, before you solder, which hopefully will be very soon - thanks again for all your patience - Virginia

Virginia
2007-05-29, 4:51pm
I cover my bench with a thick towel, you do NOT want any of these chemicals on your work space. I have a propper soldering slab, which you really have to have, to pick the solder up from. Having used it for years, it is a mess - that is a good thing!!!. I turn my torch down as low as I can - when soldering small things, the minor torch is really quite hot!!! I use super easy flow silver solder with links - in the pic is white gold solder, cause I am out of silver and I think you have all waited quite long enough!

Anyway - here are the pics, with what I am doing! - V

Virginia
2007-05-29, 4:54pm
Ok, the rest of these, then back in just a moment with the pics for doing the necklace closures and polishing.
The acid is ACID - rinse it well, and don't get it on your hands. I have the little crock pot below my bench, away from my glass. - back in a minute - Virginia

Virginia
2007-05-29, 5:52pm
Ok, now we repeat the process, and this time we use the jewelry monster, or some kind of second hand, that has two claws. Sorry if some of the pics are not as great, but I have to take them as I am working, and am not always sure how they are coming out.

The basics are - dip into boric acid mixed with Alchohol, burn it off in the flame - add a tiny amount of flux to the seam and then pic up a tiny piece of solder and add to the seam. With the two pieces held by the "monster" you bring the piece very slowly into the flame. if you come in too quickly, the solder will go flying across the bench. Also - silver likes to be evenly hot to have the solder flow, and bringing what you are soldering in slowly, helps with that also. Anyway - lost more pics, - V

Virginia
2007-05-29, 5:55pm
More pics

rainygrrl
2007-05-29, 6:03pm
Wow, this is amazing Virginia!
And a ton of work to take pics and put them together with instructions and tips.
Thank you!!

Virginia
2007-05-29, 6:06pm
Ok, some more pics

Virginia
2007-05-29, 6:12pm
Ok, now to clean them up. I have a fancy flex shaft, and polisher, but you can do it without. If you have a dremel, you can use some of their tools, or clean them up by hand. You can get a silver brush at any hardware store and can order these micro fiber sand papers that polish anything up very nicely - even the inside of your big holed beads. Very little buffing and rubbing and the silver surprisingly shines - I think it just likes to shine. SO, I hope this had helped - Anyway questions - please ask. Design something - get a few tools and make your own findings!!! - Good luck - Virginia

Virginia
2007-05-29, 6:14pm
Wow, this is amazing Virginia!
And a ton of work to take pics and put them together with instructions and tips.
Thank you!!

thanks roberta - so much has been done for me - anything I can do to give back, I always like to - when I can - can't always - virginia

bubblebabeuk
2007-05-30, 12:39am
Your a star!
This is FAB!
Thankyou sooooooo much!

afina
2007-05-30, 3:09am
Hi Virginia!
Thx A LOT for this! I've always wanted to try it. After seeing your instructions, I will probably really do it!
Verena

flamemoth
2007-05-30, 7:20am
Fantastic Virginia..thanks so much for sharing so generously what you've learned. I'm going to print this out for my folder where everything else goes that I want to try someday. You make it all look very achievable..

LAJ
2007-05-30, 7:50am
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Virginia, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I really appreciate you doing this for us. I know how busy you've been lately, which makes it all the more generous that you would take the time to post photos, especially for people like me who are visual learners.

I have a question...on post #46 where the caption says, "bring slowly into the flame", do you mean that you pick up the whole 3rd hand set up & introduce it into the flame that way instead of moving the torch? That's how it looks to me anyway. Can't the solder slide off while you're moving it? I'm just still having a bit of a hard time picturing what the 3rd hand & torch set up look like since most of the photos are up close, which is great for seeing how to solder. I hate to ask, but I will anyway, LOL, could you possibly post a photo at a slight distance so we can see the way the set up itself looks? [-o<

Virginia
2007-05-30, 10:06am
Hi,l thanks everyone - questions are very welcome -

Lea - when you put the links together, you do it so it is level. the 'claws' have joints, so you have a lot of control with it. - the flux is kind of sticky in a way - and YES, you pick the whole two handed "monster" or second hand and bring the piece you are soldering slowly into the flame. If you bring it in slowly, the solder will ball up and actually be stickier, then flow. If you bring it in quickly, it will pop off and fly away. I haven't taken everything down yet, so I can take a pretend pic of the torch and my "monster" so you can see it better. Good luck - virginia

KathyB
2007-05-30, 10:14am
Virginia, do you have any preferences for the "monster"? How is it to handle?

Virginia
2007-05-30, 11:51am
THIS monster that I have, is part of a very expensive bench tool that you don't need, unless you are going to be doing major jewelry work - Any "third" hand tool that has two claws, and good "joints" is good - will try to find my old one, and take a pic of it. The good joints part, is so you can get the links together, have them stay, while you pic it up and bring it to the torch - virginia

rubytwoshoes
2007-05-30, 12:37pm
I just want to say.....

Thank you Virginia!!!!

Vickie

Virginia
2007-05-30, 2:12pm
Your welcome!!!! - V

menty666
2007-05-31, 4:41am
Here's a set of Helping Hands (mini monster) for dirt cheap from one of my favorite dirt cheap tool sources:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=319

It's item number: 319-9VGA in case that link goes wonky on you.

As an added benefit, it's only 1.99

papimom
2007-05-31, 5:55am
Big thank you for sharing Virginia.
We all learn "with a little help from our friends".
Joan

playswithfire104
2007-05-31, 6:01am
=d> Bravo!!! =d>

KathyB
2007-05-31, 7:32am
Virginia-

TAIL WAGS TO YOU!! Thank you very much for this information!

Gundula
2007-05-31, 8:50am
Virginia,
thanks so much for this tutorial!
I have a syringe of Medium Solder Paste, would a little dab on both ends of the jump ring before I move them together do the trick?
Gundula
www.glassbygundula.com

Virginia
2007-05-31, 3:34pm
Here's a set of Helping Hands (mini monster) for dirt cheap from one of my favorite dirt cheap tool sources:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=319

It's item number: 319-9VGA in case that link goes wonky on you.

As an added benefit, it's only 1.99

those little claws would melt the first time you use them - you could try using this, with it holding two tweezers that can take the heat. I would try to find one with a "elbow" and heatable clips.

$1.99 is sure a great price - if you can get it to work, - V

Virginia
2007-05-31, 3:35pm
Virginia,
thanks so much for this tutorial!
I have a syringe of Medium Solder Paste, would a little dab on both ends of the jump ring before I move them together do the trick?
Gundula
www.glassbygundula.com

I LOVE SOLDER PASTE - it should work . In fact, it could be the best idea for this type of work!- good luck - V

Virginia
2007-05-31, 3:41pm
Here is the big bad boy, that I love - comes WITH the monster!!!

http://www.stuller.com/products/productdetails.aspx?grp=j&prodGrpID=55bc27ce-65c9-45e2-8702-11713002bd00&categoryID=fa81536b-bfe5-4b6b-8cdb-651a9d2038c7&iid=97047
this is way cool - comes all by itself - would like longer arms - maybe if I keep looking - V

http://www.stuller.com/products/product.aspx?gid=d1a67c38-61d5-4a17-b731-4563206d1f9b&cid=fa81536b-bfe5-4b6b-8cdb-651a9d2038c7

Virginia
2007-05-31, 3:43pm
oooo, oooooooooo, oooooooooooooo, here it is with longer arms - Anyway - if you are in business, and have a business card and invoices from business, you can get an account at this place - I get everything here - V

http://www.stuller.com/products/product.aspx?gid=a9ff887f-ab0f-43eb-8006-d0ffb19dd13f&cid=fa81536b-bfe5-4b6b-8cdb-651a9d2038c7

Emily
2007-05-31, 3:51pm
Here's a similar thing on eBay from findingking. I don't know how it compares to the tool that's in the Stuller catalog, but you don't need to be a professional to buy it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Third-Hand-Soldering-Station-High-Temp-Tools_W0QQitemZ280120083343QQihZ018QQcategoryZ1032 3QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And here's one of the tools that's in the Stuller catalog being offered by someone on eBay for $110.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GRS-THIRD-HAND-WITH-SOLDERING-BOARD-SUPERIOR-QUALITY_W0QQitemZ280009125666QQihZ018QQcategoryZ10 323QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Virginia
2007-05-31, 7:59pm
oooooooooooooooooooo, that's the monster alright - that one from Finding king looks great also - , great price!! V

Virginia
2007-06-01, 4:00pm
Hey Lea, here is a more overall photo. Of course, now you have to immagine my hands holding the monster, cause I cannot get a good wide photo if I am holding it = but hopefully you get the idea - I saw a tiny torch for sale in the Garage sale, you could pick that up and put the ends on it, and connect it to your propane and oxygen - don't know if someone has bought it yet - anyway - you will need a bigger torch hole than the standard one for the tiny torch, cause the propane won't light without a bigger hole - Off to the gallery - V

LAJ
2007-06-01, 4:28pm
Thanks Virginia. That does help a lot. That's what I wanted to see...the relationship between the "monster" & the torch. And, yeah, I saw the torch in the garage, but someone beat me to it, plus now I know how to use my minor for soldering. :cool:

Virginia
2007-06-02, 5:03pm
oh, I just thought of something VERY important - your container of the boric acid and alcohol - have that WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY away from your torch - explosions are BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! very BAD!!!!!!!!!!!! I have mine on the table next to my bench - thanks - Virginia

Coffeebean
2007-06-03, 10:54pm
Hi,

Great post! Why do you dip it into the acid (pickle it) at the end?

Thanks!

Sarabella
2007-06-05, 6:49am
Wonderful thread Virginia! Thanks for the tune-up on my silver work. I love the locking pliers on the wire and mandrel idea for making jumprings ... boy, one sure can learn alot on this forum...

Sally

Virginia
2007-06-05, 5:01pm
Hi,

Great post! Why do you dip it into the acid (pickle it) at the end?

Thanks!

it cleans the whole thing up. Does a great job of it. If you didn't there would be left over boric acid, and a kind of darkness from the soldering. The pickle does wonders.

{an aside - if you put scratched up old swarovski crystals that look horrible from the coating being worn, that you might otherwise just throw away, throw them in the pickle for a few hours - it strips the coating off and leaves lovely faceted crystals - just FYI}

rainygrrl
2007-06-06, 8:42am
Another great tip--thanks Virginia!

Virginia
2008-03-08, 8:47pm
just bumping this up, in case there are people that never saw it - V

volkanokaren
2008-03-08, 10:09pm
WOW how superb is this thread

Karen
Volkano Exotik

Virginia
2008-03-09, 11:18am
Thanks Karen! -

Chau Nguyen T
2008-03-09, 4:44pm
Thank you very much for sharing your expertise experience with us. I do have a few questions and very grateful to hear from an expert like you. I'm so afraid of acid but i think i can do some solder now.
Do the pickling solution has to be warm all the time?
Do you make the leaves or buy them? and where? I thinking of making some of them but they are so tiny. I've tried them with copper sheet and waste a few of them.
I tried to use the jewelry saw to cut ring but the blade did not cut through the wire easily like you did. It keeps wobble so it scratched all my rings. There's any tips to secure the roll of ring still so the saw can go through. I even snip the ring a little bit to help the blade bite in but it did not work. Thanks.
Chau.

Virginia
2008-03-10, 10:53am
I have my pickle in a little couvered pot, sort of like the crock pots that people use for slow cooking, only it is tiny - I think it was supposed to be used for melting scented wax. It keeps it just hot enough, but no fear of boiling over. I like the lid - it is plastic and I just take it off when I am working. The pickle only has to be turned on when you are going to be working with it. Just put the piece in with a long tweezer and try not to splash. It really isn't scary after awhile. If you do splash it on you - just wash it really quickly with cold water - i have splashed myself before - it wasn't a big deal - it stung a bit, but didn't leave a burn - if you don't have a sink there - be sure you have a thing of water.
The leaves I am using are available just about everywhere. Just be sure to get sterling, not nickle silver. I can make excellent leaves in wax, but then you have to cast them. I don't have that set up anymore, as I don't do much with my jewelry like I did in the past.

To get the jump rings to cut easily - I have package that came with several different sized drill bits. I wind the SS wire around the smooth end of the right size jump ring I want to have, then as I push the wound SS wire to the edge, I cut a link, and it starts the next link, and you get really good at it and in just a few seconds you have a neatly sawed bunch of jump rings. I also have a holder that is wood and has leather ends, that I can hold onto a bunch of jump rings and then I cut them all at once - will see if I can find it - you have to be careful not to get them either too tight, or too loose - again, gets easy with time - Thanks for asking - Virginia

rguttierrez
2008-03-10, 1:17pm
I have been thinking about making my own findings but I wasn't sure where to start. Thanks for the thread Virginia! Great info.

Rose Leslie
2008-03-11, 8:00am
Why don't you use a plumbers torch. It is alot handier than a minor. That is scary to say the least. I don't want to put a damper on this. It is a great way to do this. Just learned on a plumbers torch. It is to cool when you can do this with your own devices though. Way to go.

Virginia
2008-03-11, 8:20am
I have a smiths tiny torch with oxygen and acetaline - acetaline is SO dirty - ugly smuggy smoky stuff, everytime you light it, and you can kindof see the scumy heat raising up from the torch. I wouldn't want it working in with all my glass. A lot of jewelers are switching to propane. It is sitting over on my jewelers bench - If I needed to, I could use it, but this is a fun and easy. There is nothing scary about doing this - I have a board with a cloth on it, so I don't contaminate my glass bench - you can see it in the pictures, couvered with a non flamable soldering board, then a piece of alabaster and then the "monster". It takes me about two minutes to set it up, then I do all my soldering I am gonna do for awhile and then put it all below my jewelers bench that had 40 years use, but is a little dusty these days. - I just set it on my glass bench under the torch - no more scary than making beads. The acid takes a little common sense, and I keep it on the shelft below my glass and my work, with the top on it. I keep the borax mixed with the alcohol on the jewelers bench, which is right next to it, but away from my flame. This is fun and very easy after you practice a bit, and it would save someone having to buy an entire new torch, if they are just going to be making some findings for their lampwork. Expressing yours concerns is not "a damper" you just expressed your opinion. I do kind of enjoy coming up with solutions with my own devices. Have amazed my Dad occastionally with things I have done to fix my place up, with literally found items - when I get my glass shack done - I will show you pictres - the deck outside will all be of found items, or antique store finds, except the paint - I did get that at a paint store. I actually think I do have a plummers torch somewhere - I think I used it when I very first started. Does it have two small tanks, a farly long tube and a long nose on the torch? - I started with that also - when I was first doing this I was SO young and that was what I could afford. - thanks for the imput - Virginia

neagle
2008-03-11, 3:56pm
Thanks so much for all the work putting this together! I did some silver work about 25 years ago, and never thought of using my glass torch to do any of this. I look forward to reading more...

Chau Nguyen T
2008-03-12, 3:16pm
Thank you so much Virginia. I have overcame of afraid to saw my fingers off with my jewelry saw. As you it'll be easier after awhile so i kept sawing away; now, i can use my saw to cut my rings. I have a couple files next to me to file away the scratch. It's so beautiful and i'm so proud. My saw has to work hard from now on.
I don't have minor torch. Can i use my hot head? I have a pencil torch, i think it won't be able to do the findings but it could solder some ring, correct? Where can i find Boric Acid besides Rio Grande? I'm so afraid to send in the order form to them.
So much to do, so little money.
There's a lot to learn from you. Thanks millions.

Virginia
2008-03-12, 6:26pm
Hi, you can actually get boric acid (borax, that you mix with alcohol) at most hardware stores, it is the Sparex grandular dry acid compound that is actually acid. You might be able to find it locally at a welding shop, or an ace hardware. I would not worry about ordering it, jewelers order it all the time - it will be sealed shut and probably wrapped. good luck - any other questions - let me know - Virginia

Frit Diva
2008-03-12, 6:52pm
Virginia~ Excellent info, thanks for sharing!

Chau Nguyen T
2008-03-13, 3:39pm
Thanks. I'll make a trip to Hardware tomorrow to to look the Boric Acid and
Sparex. I love that you could find more than one thing at the same store.

But, what's 'denatured' Alcohol? The alcohol i found at Walgreen drugtores isn't denatured. Where could i find it? And how do i mix Boric Acid and pickling solutions? The weather is warmer now, i could do it outside. See how ignorance i am!!!

I can use the jewelry saw now and i determine to pass this solder thing with flying color; Please, help me. Thanks

Virginia
2008-03-13, 7:19pm
they should have the denatured Alcohol behind the drugest counter - I think kids do dumb stuff with it, so they keep it back there, just ask the drugest for it. With the Boric Acid, just use a big enough jar with a tight lid that you can fit the thing in you are soldering. Put the alcohol in the jar and then the boric acid. With the tight lid, you should be able to shake it up.
Be more careful with the pickling acid. again, add it to the water, but carefully - and either have a filter over your nose and mouth, or hold your breath - you do NOT want to breath the stuff in. I like to have something like a tongue depresser to slowly mix it up, and then immediately dispose of it. As you use it, it will keep mixed up. I keep the lid on mine all the time. When you put your soldered piece into the acid - do not splash. If you splash on yourself, do not panic, just rinse it off very quickly and thourouly - you will get so you have a rythym and don't have accidents. - good luck - Virginia

Chau Nguyen T
2008-03-14, 3:52pm
Hello Virginia, i'm back from Ace Hardware store. They do have denatured alcohol. that's good. The Boric Acid i found there didn't look like your, it calls Roach Prufe (weird name) the salesman showed it to me it has 98% Ortho Boric Acid, is that the right acid? He said i can return it if it's wrong.
I'll go to welding store tomorrow looking for Sparex Acid and welding scrap mandrel for my rings.
You still didn't tell me how to mix them. What's the ratio between Boric Acid and alcohol? The Boric Acid i bought at Ace use to kill ants, roaches so we only need to shake the powder wherever we think the insects are. I wish to see how you mix them. My problem is if anything expensive i'll use it less. Thanks.

Virginia
2008-03-14, 4:10pm
I think the ratios are on the containers. It has been years since I measured - I just put about half the container (glass!!) with alcohol, then a bunch, I guess would make it about 3/4 full of boric acid, and put the tight top on and shake it up. I am sure the Boric acid that they use for the insects will be fine. It just puts a coating on the piece you are soldering - keeps the metal from all turning black and helps the solder flow. I know that the instructions are deffinitely on the sparex container as to how much to use. I found my little "crock pot" that was previousely used to heat up hot wax for making the room smell good, At a thrift shop, it was about $1.00 - either that or garage sales, but that would take longer - good luck - anymore questions - I am happy to answer what I can - Virginia - PM me your address - I have a book that will knock your creative socks off!!! Everything I learned, 45 years ago when I first started, I learned from this book. I haven't opened it for 20 years - I am sure you will thouroughly enjoy it - no sence in it continueing to collect dust

Gwood
2008-03-26, 11:39am
Hi Virginia

What book is that?

Virginia
2008-04-04, 1:50pm
It has almost everything you would ever need to know - It is Called "Metal Techniques For Craftsmen" - it is by Oppi Untracht - it was all I needed to get started - never did take a class - you can get it on ebay sometimes for a little - it still costs a small fortune if you try to buy it even used thru Amazon - hope you can find one - Virginia

Virginia
2008-04-04, 1:52pm
You will NOT believe the beautiful, incredibly well made necklace that Chau sent me - I can't wait to get pictures and post it here - I was amazed - thanks so much Chau - will get pics posted soon - Thanks again - Virginia

bob
2008-04-04, 5:08pm
I have been enjoying your thread as it seems quite a few other people have. I don't have a question today but I will at some point. I want to go through the whole tread and kind of paste it all together. I just wanted to say it's threads like yours and many others that make LE a wonderful place to learn. Thanks for your contribution, we all appreciate it.
Bob Proulx

EmbellishYourself
2008-04-04, 8:34pm
I was thinking of soldering simple rings, can you solder fine silver on a minor? As far as I know, you don't need all the chemicals and solder right?

Magicfire
2008-04-06, 2:33pm
Hi Virginia--thanks so much for the tutorial!!

I have a question too; I bought some sparex a couple of years ago from Rio Grande. I finally mixed it up today and followed the directions exactly. I have some silver sheet that has been sitting in a shoe box for like 20 years, so it's pretty tarnished. I've had the sheet sitting in the pickle for HOURS and it just looks slightly less tarnished than before.

So can pickle go bad before you mix it? Should I just buy a new batch?

Another weird thing was that the granules are brown, and the resulting pickle is a murky brown.

I took a silversmithing class a few weeks ago and their pickle was a nice clear light blue or green. Not murky at all. I can't see what I put in it so the murkiness is kind of a pain. I'm thinking that isn't normal...

Thanks!!
-Patti

Virginia
2008-04-19, 2:31pm
my pickle is old, but once it is heated up, it IS clear - SO, maybe it can go bad - I always went thru mine quickly enough it didn't have a chance to get old. This is probably only 4 years old, so I think 20 must be too long. I sure would try some new stuff, cause it should actually only take a few minutes to take the tarnish off. There is much less toxic stuff you can buy to take tarnish off silver - you only have to dip it and it is nearly instantaniuse - sorry can't spell anymore - but, I deffinitely think that pickle, is pickled!!! - sorry - glad you enjoyed the the tutorial -
Jenny - I have only soldered Sterling Silver and have always used all the "stuff" - I don't know anything about soldering fine silver without using materials - sorry - Virginia

ziggys
2008-06-21, 8:48pm
Wow, what a gem (no pun intended) of education here! I never thought I could do sodering without a ton of effort, money, and time. This is so informative, I want to think about it a little bit. Definately needs a bump for others who missed it before, like me.
Thank you Virginia

pittypat
2011-01-25, 10:29am
This is a super free tutorial that should be in the list somewhere!!

KarenBeth
2011-01-25, 11:38am
I agree, love it!

flamemoth
2011-01-25, 2:13pm
one of the reasons I LOVE LE~ artists like these that keep the knowledge flowing..

hotglass
2011-02-09, 9:11pm
Mahalo, Virginia! - Alpha