Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Anyone use OSCommerce?

brimmy
2007-05-17, 12:13am
Okay, I gave up on the Paypal templates. They just didn't have the freedom to do what I needed. I now have OSCommerce (came with my hosting service for only $2 more a month). Unfortunately, I have no idea what I'm doing with it. Does anyone here use it? Does anyone know any good tutorial sites helping people through the initial set up phase? Any help would be appreciated.

brimmy
2007-05-17, 10:57pm
No one uses OSCommerce? Okay, what sort of shopping cart systems do you use? I can make my own databases, but I need something that integrates into my site. I don't like how OSCommerce has it's own layout. Makes it feel very disjointed from my site.

xtine sutter
2007-05-18, 12:09am
I have not figured it out yet - I thought you could download that for free?? Problem is, I think you need to run it with something called "apache" um...and some other program... Ok this is going nowhere - But I am working on it. Er, my DH is a computer guy and he is trying to figure it out. Hmmm. Guess I didn't help much. :roll: Have you gone to their web page? I started reading through it about two months ago and it gave me a headache. I'll keep you posted... ](*,) I'll take another look at it tomorrow when I'm not about to fall asleep.

BlackRiverBeads
2007-05-18, 7:02am
I've tried it too, but found that I didn't have the required computer skills to figure it out. There are a lot of other carts out there, if you go to paypal and look under the Merchant Services tab (top of the page). When you get there look in the Key Features box on the right of the page and click on the link that says other leading carts. This page has links to lots and lots of carts that are compatible with paypal.

Deborah
2007-05-22, 10:48pm
Hi,

What are your shopping cart needs and requirements? I do loads of them for clients and can refer to some that may better suit your needs than OSCommerce. OSCommerce can be a pain to configure for some folks.

What did you want the Paypal cart to do that you couldn't configure? Have you checked out Mal's E-Commerce? Great carts and free!

Anyway, let me know what the perimeters are and I may be able to make some suggestions that could work for you.

Best,
Deborah

brimmy
2007-05-22, 11:37pm
Thanks for all the help everyone. I finally jsut broke down and taught myself .css and .php scripting. My OSCommerce site is now online and personalized. I have a few more tweaks to make to it, and then I get to upload my catalog... Lots of work.

I didn't like paypal because it didn't have a way to control your inventory. When you're selling one of a kinds, it's not good business to have five orders for that bead show up in your mailbox. Paypal is really easy to figure out though and easy to integrate into your site.