Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Looking for thin stringers...

Dragonflye
2007-05-20, 4:57am
in cool colors...By thin I'm talking 1mm, I've seen lots of 2 - 3 mm stringers out there. Also, who sells encased stringers and how thin can I get those? I am taking a newbie class and the teacher showed us how to make our own stringers and encased stringers. I'm not getting a good pull though...I'm dying to do some stringer work! :)

NLC Beads
2007-05-20, 6:52am
It seems like batches vary - I'd honestly suggest lots of practicing yourself, you can get it down with time. It teaches heat control and to read the glass very well. There's different ways, too - maybe one will work for you better than another?
I first learned to pull stringer from the MIDDLE of the rod, heat and turn the rod, let it gather a ball, then pull out.
OR heat up one end of the rod, and pull stringer with tweezers or another rod or stringer.
I've gotten the premade stringers from a variety of sources, maybe ask before purchasing if they have thin ones? But for specialty/encased, it may be time to learn. ;) (OH! Or check if Lynnie - Artemis Lampwork carries them or would make them for you?)

Dragonflye
2007-05-20, 8:03am
Thanks for the advice Nikki! I tried pulling a stringer from the middle of the rod (one of the ways I was shown) and it worked better. I guess I'm just impatient. The encased stringer seems impossible now, but I'll keep trying. My teacher made it look so easy!

Oh, and thanks for the Artemis Lampwork info., I think...Now I gotta' get me some twisties! :)

NLC Beads
2007-05-20, 8:09pm
No problem! Lynnie is awesome. :)

Just pulling stringers teaches so much about heat control, I think it's vital to know... (Then I won't tell you how much pre-made I have right now...) LOL... Plus I'd be nervous about shipping thinner ones...

Good luck!
Nikki

Alaskalinda
2007-05-21, 12:21am
I believe Lynnie will make stringer for you too, she's great to work with :)

But I recommend spending some time learning to pull your own too, it's nice to just make it as you need it and a great way to use up shorts and bits.

GLASSFREEK
2007-05-22, 9:22am
I am starting a new thing where I will melt your color in a furnace and hand pull it to what you would like. To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike

danawana
2007-05-26, 4:48pm
Someone gave me a great suggestion for pulling straighter stringers... Instead of pulling them out, to each side (horizontally), pull the vertically, and gravity will assist in making it straighter. It helps!

Dragonflye
2007-05-26, 5:34pm
Thanks for the tip danawana! Worth a try, definitely! I've pulled a few usable stringers so far- anything I can't use gets crushed into frit. At least I'm not wasting anything. :)