Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Murrini cane - how to

afina
2007-05-29, 2:26am
Hi folks!
I made a little video-tutorial on how to make a simple murrini cane without using an optic mold, just with the usual tools we all have.

I would be happy if you took a glance and would comment on the tutorial.

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq4YYTwMXik

Thanks for looking, Verena

ectlpn
2007-05-29, 4:21am
great tut, but the words could be left up a little longer. Thanks, can't wait to try it.
Carol, from VA

ftownsend
2007-05-29, 4:38am
Hi (from Belgium)

I think this is the best yet and just what I need at exactly this point - so many thanks for the good timing. I really like the way you edited so only the interesting, key points are there.

I just have one question, based on my experience only yesterday when I was making mini-barnacles. How do you chop them up and find the darned little things after they've shot all over the place? Looks like you have the same problem at the end of the video.....

Keep it up - what tutorials will you do next?

Felicity

afina
2007-05-29, 4:44am
Hi Felicity!
Thx for the nice remarks!
Yes, the "darn little things" shoot all over the place. I've seen a tool with a sack on it, i will try to sew one. Most of the time I cut bigger pieces and hold the piece with one finger. Then I cut the bigger piece in half again, holding it on both sides. But beware of the jet smaller pieces of glass coming off!
Next I plan to do a tutorial on starbeads.

Hi Carol!
Yes, you are right. Just didn't manage *lol*. Have to consult the manual for the next tut.

papimom
2007-05-29, 4:59am
Good job on the tut.
One way to keep the slices from flying all over, is to stack washers to the thickness you want your slice. (Two piles, glass between them.) Lay the cutters on the washers and squeeze. Chip stays on the table.
Another way is to angle your cutter so they fly into a bowl that has been lined with a wash cloth (no bounce back that way). Then you can shak them into a pile and store them.
Good luck.
Joan

FourTailsLampwork
2007-05-29, 6:00am
Drew Fritts said that it helped to use offset nippers rather than the ones shown in the video. Nip in a cardboard box or, better, as Joan said, into stacked washers. That way you also get uniform sizes as well as stable chips.

Of course, you can set up a portrait of someone you dislike on a wall that has no furniture below, and try to hit it with your murrini--and then just sweep up the pieces.

squid
2007-05-29, 7:02am
great tut, but the words could be left up a little longer. Thanks, can't wait to try it.
Carol, from VA

I read fast, but I agree the words go by really quickly! Great tutorial!

Carols Glass
2007-05-29, 10:06am
I paused the video every time I saw words and made notes, and watched the video over and over again.
This was an awesome video and I appreciate you taking the time to make it.
I really needed this to see how it was done. Now, I will have the nerve to try it. I love your murrini!
Carol

Carols Glass
2007-05-29, 10:08am
Oh, I just saw that you were going to do one on star beads. I can never do those right! I will be looking forward to that and then I will try again.
Thanks so much!
Carol

destiny designs
2007-05-29, 10:15am
Verena, this is wonderful! Thank you so much for doing this - it is a tremendous help to the murrini-challenged like myself! Awesome job on the videography, as well.

La Bianca
2007-05-29, 1:01pm
Thank you so much Verena!! I love your great tutorial.
I know now what i did wrong all the time! Thank you, thank you, thank you.:happy:

For this great tut i want to thank you 1000000 times....klik (http://www.yonkis.com/mediaflash/1000000.swf) :-D

Humble newbie
2007-05-29, 4:09pm
Thanks!!

jknappcampbell
2007-05-29, 6:44pm
Thanks very much
Jill

Tutti-frutti
2007-05-29, 11:31pm
Hey Verena
vielan Dank fuer dein video. War total ueberrascht dass ich das lesen kont lol.
For the us
thanks Verena for the video and Iwas totaly surprised that I could read it. duh.
Katja

afina
2007-05-29, 11:55pm
Hi!
Thanks everybody for the nice feedback. I would love to see some of your murrini, pls show!

Carols Glass
2007-05-30, 12:51pm
afina,
I had a computer crash yesterday and spent hours on that so all I had time to do last night was make murrini.
I just watched your video again and I'm on my way to try again!
Thanks again!
Carol

Chau Nguyen T
2007-05-30, 5:14pm
Good video Afina. The only way to keep the slice shooting everywhere is point the murini cane into the small mouth jar, then cut it with that glass snipper. The slices will shoot into the jar and stay there until you want to use it. Chau.

DewDropped
2007-06-02, 9:28pm
Thank you for sharing. I am going to make some murrini this way. Great tutorial

jokersdesign
2007-06-02, 10:35pm
sweet

Antonie
2007-06-03, 7:19am
Hi (from Belgium)

I think this is the best yet and just what I need at exactly this point - so many thanks for the good timing. I really like the way you edited so only the interesting, key points are there.

I just have one question, based on my experience only yesterday when I was making mini-barnacles. How do you chop them up and find the darned little things after they've shot all over the place? Looks like you have the same problem at the end of the video.....

Keep it up - what tutorials will you do next?

Felicity

Hi Felicity,
:-P
AL

BJJunk
2007-06-04, 10:38am
I recently watched someone making a bead with the mini barnacles. She used the stringer (about 4" long or so) & placed a dot on the bead, took it out of the flame and cut it with a pair of tile cutters real close to the bead. Back into the flame & then flatten it down. I tried it that way and it was pretty easy to place the barnacle where I wanted it to go.

Barb

swanseafarm
2007-06-04, 10:45am
Nice video.

When I cut my murrini cane i place the end of the rod in a small zip lock baggie and then just cut the rod over the baggy. The cutter does not cut through the baggy but does cut the glass and you can see what you are doing. When you are done you have a nice baggy full of murrini canes and no mess or glass dust in the air.

:D

tt4st
2007-06-05, 2:30pm
Thanks for the tut Verena! I am going to go try that right now. The words do flash up there kind of fast so I just had to rewind a few times. Can't wait to see stars!!!!

Suzanne

afina
2007-06-06, 8:34am
The words do flash up there kind of fast so I just had to rewind a few times.
Suzanne

Hi Suzanne!
Yes I know, the words go too fast. I found out how to alter that now and the next video will be better...

Pls show pics of your murrini, as soon as you try it out.
Verena

Whimsey
2007-06-06, 9:00am
I read fast, but I agree the words go by really quickly! Great tutorial!

There was words????? Great Tutorial, now if only I can find a way to save it so its under my control, you know stop it when it gets to a part I need to do before the next step. Thank you so much for doing this, can't wait to try it.

Can I have the original? lol

wilma

Whimsey
2007-06-06, 9:09am
Verena great tut as I said in prev post. Have you done others if so what other tutorials have you done? Are the located here?

Wilma

afina
2007-06-07, 1:02am
Hi Wilma!
I made one about hollow beads - but with spoken instructions in german only. Here is the URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v5F7jwEJGY

And one about lamellabeads (we call them Lamellen Perlen in German, I don't know the correct term in english), without any words, but still quite instructive, I think. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP0WCd424c4

And my fist one was one about a quick way to make twisties, withoud any words as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mt3Vdnuhyc

Hope you like one of them.
Verena

sculptorgirl
2007-06-07, 10:08am
Thank you for sharing your technique Verena -- it was fun to watch!

lavendar420
2007-06-14, 12:18pm
Thanks for posting these!

ziggys
2007-07-02, 5:00pm
Nice video.

When I cut my murrini cane i place the end of the rod in a small zip lock baggie and then just cut the rod over the baggy. The cutter does not cut through the baggy but does cut the glass and you can see what you are doing. When you are done you have a nice baggy full of murrini canes and no mess or glass dust in the air.

:D
Lots of good suggestions on how to cut them, but this one sounds like the way to go for me.:-D
Thanks!
Angela