Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : I need frit help

playswithfire104
2007-05-29, 6:44pm
I bought 4 containers of frit about 2 1/2 years ago. I can't get anything other than baby poop from it. :sad: This is what I have:

Strawberry NG R 139

Striking Rose Red NG R 149

Yellowish Opal Orange R 67 LSDS

Brilliant Copper Blue NG R 39

I remember the lady I bought it from told me that one would give me a faux boro look. They didn't tell me about the baby poop. Any ideas? Any colors I should use with them?

Kevan
2007-05-29, 6:46pm
What are you doing with them? I don't know why you would be getting poop they are all vibrant colors.

beadysam
2007-05-29, 6:53pm
You're not using them on ivory are you? Ivory and frit rarely mix well...

playswithfire104
2007-05-29, 6:53pm
Yeah that's what I thought. The blue kinda looks OK on white but the other colors all turn brown. I got sick of being disapointed so I haven't used them in quite a while but saw them today and thought I'd ask one last time before I sell them.

MaryBeth
2007-05-29, 6:55pm
Try them over clear. Copper blue also looks great with silver foil.

playswithfire104
2007-05-29, 7:19pm
So make a clear bead and roll in frit? Should I encase it then?

ETA No I didn't use it on ivory.

lunamoonshadow
2007-05-29, 7:21pm
Are you on a hothead?
You *might* be reducing them to "overdone"....
if you are...try rolling on the frit, just melting it on a little & then popping some hot clear on top of it & then melting it down flat...you'll get some better color out of it....(I tend to accidentally turn my copper blue into really copper if I'm not careful & don't pay *attention* to what I'm doing...of course if I keep the bead where it *belongs* in the flame, well, then it's fine! :lol:)

playswithfire104
2007-05-29, 7:27pm
Are you on a hothead?
You *might* be reducing them to "overdone"....
if you are...try rolling on the frit, just melting it on a little & then popping some hot clear on top of it & then melting it down flat...you'll get some better color out of it....(I tend to accidentally turn my copper blue into really copper if I'm not careful & don't pay *attention* to what I'm doing...of course if I keep the bead where it *belongs* in the flame, well, then it's fine! :lol:)

BINGO! I'm not on a hot head now but I bet the last time I tried to use them I was. OK I'll give them another shot on my Lynx. Other than clear anyone suggest colors they will look good on?

lunamoonshadow
2007-05-29, 7:32pm
white.
bright yellow.
cobalt blue/lapis. (I like raku on this even if it doesn't pop! so I bet the yellowish opal orange would look cool, it's kind of an "opposite" on the color scale)
(I've had issues putting frit on coral and I'll 2nd the "ivory hates frit" note!)
light purple might be fun with the pink/red on it (think red hat club?)
darn. now I want to go set things on fire!!

playswithfire104
2007-05-29, 7:36pm
Thanks Luna I'll give that a shot next time I get to torch!

PaulaD
2007-05-29, 7:39pm
I always start with frit on white or on clear and then on a transparent in the same color family. It sounds like you don't have enough oxygen (or didn't.)
Luna has solved your problem!
Paula

MaryBeth
2007-05-29, 9:46pm
I think all of those would look nice on opal yellow or copper green - especially the pink ones!

coyotesfamily
2007-05-29, 9:55pm
yep i too always keep shorts of clear and white on my table so i can test frits first...then i go from there :)

i am guessing you were reducing them too. the opal orange color you can cook the snot out of it ;)

playswithfire104
2007-05-31, 5:27pm
I tried the frit again. I figured I'd try one at a time so I know which one did what. Well the striking rose red looks great on bright yellow and kinda cool on cobalt. Thanks everyone! I'll keep ya posted on what the others do.

Listenup
2007-05-31, 8:25pm
There are some frits that do well with Ivory. Just off the top of my head, most of the reds play nice wth Ivory.