Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Buying frit

beadmama
2007-06-01, 5:33am
This may be a dumb question....When you buy frit and they are sent in 1, 2 or 4 oz jars usually...should you get 1 oz in a 1 oz jar? I know there are different sizes of frit. Should the jar be full or based on something else? I bought some and one jar seemed to have significantly less in it. Iam assuming it was a fluke. Was wondering if I should say something to the vendor or not. Thanks Becky

Peach Blossom Beads
2007-06-01, 5:40am
As far as I know - but don't quote me - yes, there should be 1oz. of frit in a 1oz. jar. Rather than ask here though, I would have send the vendor a quick email and explained that I was new and just wondering. Only takes a second. Most glass vendors are fantastic with their customer service so give it a shot. Good luck!

Paul Ewing
2007-06-01, 6:05am
The ounce should be thenet weight inside the jar, so you should take it out and weigh it to be sure. Depending on density and shape (compactability) it may or may not fill the jar, but it should have the correct weight.

Gail Joseph
2007-06-01, 6:10am
It depends on whether or not the frit is sold by volume or by weight. Different colors of glass vary widely in weight, and since they are sold to me by weight, I sell them by weight (i.e., I weigh them, and put them into jars). 1 oz of Reichenbach 106 is far heavier than Reichenbach 108, for example, so a 1 oz (by volume) jar will have a lower level of 106 than of 108, if you buy it from me. If I filled up a 1 oz (by volume) jar with R106 frit it would actually contain close to, or more than 2 oz (by weight) of frit.

So...The answer to the question, for me, anyway...is both yes and no. Should a 1 oz jar of frit contain 1 oz of frit? Yes! If you weigh my 1 oz jar of frit, it should weigh 1 oz plus the weight of the jar. Should it be full to the top, or be filled to the same level as another color? For my company, no.

To ramble on...I've noticed, now that I'm making coe 104 blends, that they are much less dense, and come much closer to filling up the jars (i.e., 2 oz by weight filling up a 2 oz by volume jar). The coe 96 frits (probably due to the lead content?), do not.

If the vendors like Olympic Color Rod started selling the frit by volume, then I'd do the same. But as long as I have to pay by weight, that is how I sell it.

Geesh...Hope that didn't sound defensive! I think I need caffeine!!! Ta-Tah!!!--Gail

beadysam
2007-06-01, 9:27am
Gail, thats exactly how I sell mine! I had no idea there would be such a weight/volume difference until I started selling though!

lunamoonshadow
2007-06-01, 11:35am
Yep. I was going to say the same thing--that's why when I do swaps, I do them by "half-teaspoonfuls"--(and because not everyone has a scale to do them by "grams"!!)
plus if you shake them, they settle (kind of like cereal in a box!)
I always like seeing the people who post the "omg, I didn't realize how much a KILO of frit was" when they order Raku in bulk :lol: because they think they "need" that much of one solid color!!
~luna

beadgoodies
2007-06-01, 1:14pm
Jar sizes are crazy! The jars I use to package 4 ounce jars are sold as 2 ounce jars at US Plastics. The jar can actually hold 5 ounces though. It's crazy! If you buy 1 ounce, you should receive 1 ounce -- regardless of whether the frit bits fill the jar all the way to the top or not.

Candy

beadmama
2007-06-02, 4:49am
Thanks everyone for responses. I think I will take it out and weigh it before I contact the vendor. Becky