Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Confessions of a Smooth N Tuff Convert

danelady
2007-06-14, 2:31pm
OK Y'all. I have been a STAUNCH fan of Bucket O Mud since I first began using it (I am sure MANY of you know that, LOL, but I MUST CONFESS..... :hide:

FOSTER FIRE SMOOTH N TUFF has it beat by a COUNTRY MILE!

I can easily twist off teeny tiny SPACERS from a DRY mandrel, after it's cooled from the kiln - NOT KIDDING. I have had a VERY SMALL bit of flaking in the press, again, beats BOM. Flame dries with NO flaking or spitting and no matter how hard I drag the glass, IT DOESN'T CRACK!

You got me Robin!

LOVE FOSTER FIRE SMOOTH N TUFF! I'm a convert! Born Again Bead Release fan!:grin:
Thank you!!
Lynnie

jonsglassshack
2007-06-14, 3:03pm
I told it was GREAT stuff. Gotta try it SOON!

JonOK Y'all. I have been a STAUNCH fan of Bucket O Mud since I first began using it (I am sure MANY of you know that, LOL, but I MUST CONFESS..... :hide:

I can easily twist off teeny tiny SPACERS from a DRY mandrel, after it's cooled from the kiln - NOT KIDDING. I have had a VERY SMALL bit of flaking in the press, again, beats BOM. Flame dries with NO flaking or spitting and no matter how hard I drag the glass, IT DOESN'T CRACK!

You got me Robin!

LOVE FOSTER FIRE SMOOTH N TUFF! I'm a convert! Born Again Bead Release fan!:grin:
Thank you!!
Lynnie

Lisa
2007-06-14, 5:01pm
I can easily twist off teeny tiny SPACERS from a DRY mandrel, after it's cooled from the kiln - NOT KIDDING.

Today some small spacers almost got away from me because they were sliding off the mandrel before I "broke them loose"! I love this stuff. Lisa

cadia
2007-06-14, 5:08pm
As soon as I get these two stubborn beads off their mandrel I'll join you ( I think I watered it down too much) :( "Operator error !"
But other than that it's been working great!

kentaymom
2007-06-26, 1:28pm
I just got some and I love it too! It cleans out of the bead holes very easily too.

Carols Glass
2007-06-26, 1:37pm
Same here! This is the best bead release I've ever used. I am so glad I have it and as long as it keeps working the way it does, I'll never change bead release again (for boro or soft glass, as I've been doing both lately).
I still use locking pliers to hold the mandrel, but no longer do I need to wrap the bead with anything to get the bead to turn. It's wonderful and I love it!

Cherine Perrin
2007-06-26, 2:33pm
I just ordered some and can't wait to try it!! I love Alice's but I am willing to give anything with this many good reviews a try.

fourpawsglass
2007-06-28, 11:40am
I too am a total convert! I took beads off the mandrel the other night WITHOUT a pair of plyers gripping the mandrel. Amazing. No more wasted beads when the release would come off during mid melt and no more flaking in presses.

Janet's Glass
2007-06-28, 11:45am
I absolutely love mine...I use it on Boro to Bullseye to Moretti to Satake. It holds strong during torching, but my beads slide right off after anealling. The bead holes are much easier to clean as well too!

SadiesJewels
2007-06-29, 7:38pm
Ok Ok... Jerri sent me a sample with Alices and Tuff and I'm going to try it tonight. Let you all know what I think on Sunday (my b'day - lol) ... perhaps I'll be a convert too. I've been using Profusion for a long time which is ideal for my work. Hope Tuff/Alices works as well.

Sadie

My Bloody Valentine
2007-06-30, 6:49am
I knew this stuff was a good investment. Spare a thought to the Aussie who bought some of this and the regular Foster Fire and spent USD 90 bucks! (most of it was shipping) Best investment EVER!

NLC Beads
2007-07-01, 12:44pm
I like it for big holed beads - seems to clean out or hide better. :)

playswithfire104
2007-07-01, 4:17pm
This stuff is GREAT! It is the best thing since sliced bread! What was the best thing before sliced bread?

Carols Glass
2007-07-01, 6:54pm
This stuff is GREAT! It is the best thing since sliced bread! What was the best thing before sliced bread?

Probably the Foster Fire Heavy Duty! (I never got to try that, but heard it was the best!)

danelady
2007-07-02, 7:06am
SEX! (but that was just a rumor you understand! LOL)This stuff is GREAT! It is the best thing since sliced bread! What was the best thing before sliced bread?

Carols Glass
2007-07-02, 7:47am
SEX! (but that was just a rumor you understand! LOL)

why didn't I think of that?

FosterFire
2007-07-02, 7:56am
ummm, between sex and bead release I am still gonna pick sex.

BarbC
2007-07-03, 5:48pm
Who needs sex when there is so much glass???? I love the new FFB! Melissa lets me 'borrow' hers!

FosterFire
2007-07-04, 5:17am
Just a quick FYI -

don't use soft water to dilute your bead release. ANY bead release notr just fosterfire will have problems with cracking and breaking if diluted with soft water!!

SadiesJewels
2007-07-04, 9:05pm
Ahh ... that seems like a little secret I should know? Does distilled water count as soft water? If we live in a soft water area how should we dilute the tuff stuff?

By the way, my sample (thanks Jerri) is awesome and I bought a container of it at Arrow Springs this last weekend. Another convert here I think - they didn't have the super sized container so better get them some Robin because I would have purchased that size if they had it!

FosterFire
2007-07-05, 4:27am
Naturally soft water like well water is fine, distilled is fine, bottled drinking water is fine too.

The stuff to avoid is where a water softener system has been installed and uses salts to break down the calclium and magnesium in the water.

Ellen Black
2007-07-08, 4:41pm
This bead release is FANTASTIC. I used the Heavy Duty formula before the new one came out.

Cherine Perrin
2007-07-12, 9:46am
Just got my beads out of the kiln. Smooth & Tuff is great! Came off so easily - as far as I'm concerned it's the best I've ever used.

-- Cherine

barbaracollins
2007-07-13, 3:18am
I guess that I have to start over with some Smooth and Tuff. I used soft water!

Glass Lady
2007-07-13, 10:20am
OK Y'all. I have been a STAUNCH fan of Bucket O Mud since I first began using it (I am sure MANY of you know that, LOL, but I MUST CONFESS..... :hide:

You got me Robin!

Thank you!!
Lynnie
OK - this is all new to me but with all the glowing reports it seems like something I want to try. Where do I order it????

squid
2007-07-13, 10:31am
You can get it direct here:

www.fosterfireglass.com

and a number of glass suppliers carry it - lbsupplys and howaco glass both carry it, I believe.

Glass Lady
2007-07-13, 1:21pm
You can get it direct here:

www.fosterfireglass.com

and a number of glass suppliers carry it - lbsupplys and howaco glass both carry it, I believe.
Thanks for the information. After I posted the message, I checked with some of my glass suppliers to see if they handled it. Anxious to try it.

FosterFire
2007-07-19, 9:19am
Just a quick FYI for those going to the Gathering: there will be mugs for sale that have prizes in them. I have donated 250 of the 2 oz sample size of the NEW Smooth & Tuff.

Just in case you wanted to try it..!

My Bloody Valentine
2007-07-19, 5:29pm
Got a quick q, what is the right consistency for smooth and tuff. At the moment mine looks like stiff cream (after it's been whipped with eggs, y'know to form those peaks?) is that too thick?

squid
2007-07-19, 6:02pm
yes, that is too thick. Add some bottled or distilled water - small amounts at a time. You may have to pour some out if it is a new bottle (I usually do). You want it to look like cream, but unwhipped cream.

My Bloody Valentine
2007-07-23, 6:27pm
Thank you Squid. :)

loopydo
2007-07-23, 6:37pm
Another quick question....mine has lots of gritty texture. Is that normal? Thanks:)
Linda

My Bloody Valentine
2007-07-23, 6:44pm
Hi Linda, mine is quite gritty also and I think now it has to do with the fact that it is too thick.

FosterFire
2007-07-23, 7:37pm
Yes, gritty means it's too thick.

FosterFire
2010-06-16, 10:34am
To place an order please contact Frantz Art Glass. They have all sizes and all formulas of FosterFire.

Happy torching!

danelady
2010-06-17, 10:27pm
Hey Robin:waving:, is Renate still making and selling it? Thanks!
Lynnie

PaulaD
2010-06-18, 7:35am
I was wondering the same thing!! Who is wholesaling it now??
Paula

68jewelry
2010-06-20, 7:21am
weiguan......

danelady
2010-07-15, 10:58pm
If you cannot find it, Robin might be able to help you!

Reenie
2010-07-16, 8:33pm
I have some in stock now. A whole lot of it!!!!

Birdsonawire
2010-07-17, 6:29am
Does anyone have any of the sample packs available (the kind you mix)? I would love to try this before I pay for shipping of the mixed kind.

FosterFire
2010-07-17, 7:46am
Dawn -
Part of what makes Smooth & Tuff what it is, is the manufacturing process. It's not just a mixing process.

Wickedartglass
2010-07-22, 5:16am
I have been useing Smooth N Tuff for a while and loveeee it.
I just ordered some from Frantz and this time it doesnt work at all.
Its cracking on the mandel some before I even put it into the flame then want isnt cracked soon as I start making a bead it is cracking and flaking off under and around the bead.
I have no idea what is wrong with it.
I did email Frantz but no answer back yet.
I hope this is just a fluke or I just got a bad bottle.
I really love using it normally it saves me so much time getting my beads off the mandrel and cleans out so easy.

Maybe someone will get back to me from Frantz and let me know.
Is anyone else having this problem with a new supply?
Donna.

Wickedartglass
2010-07-23, 7:35pm
Mike got back to me today and is replacing the bead release for me.
He is a sweet heart.
Cant wait to have good bead release again, this stuff will spoil ya lol.