Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Is my torch leaking?

Juliac
2005-10-09, 1:27pm
I am smelling propane from the valve on top of my torch. I use a nortel midrange plus. Can anyone help. I have not been able to fing the nortel website to ask them. I recently changed my hose, so I just reconnected it. The smell is not from there, it is definatly from the valve that runs the propane on the smaller or the the minor torch.

Mr. Smiley
2005-10-09, 2:38pm
Did you do the soapy water squirt test?

Juliac
2005-10-09, 2:44pm
I did it, not smelling any propane, bubbles happened when I squirted then nothing. I am trying again. If it's leaking ot has to have bubbles somewhere right?

Jude Rose
2005-10-09, 2:54pm
Crossing my fingers your tank is safely outside.

I guess I would be concerned with or without bubbles. The smell shouldn't be there unless your changing out tanks. It could be a faulty hose, regulator, or most likely of all, improperly threaded connection.

Be safe!
Jude

Juliac
2005-10-09, 2:57pm
Thanks Jude. Can you tighten the clamp around the hose where you attach it to the torch too much? I am re-connecting the propant to the hose again

Dasi
2005-10-09, 3:38pm
I had propane leaking from the tip of my torch. I shut off my O2 and left my propane hooked up with the regulator set at 5. I then put a drop of soapy water on my finger and put it on the tip. DO this when the tip is cool....dahhh. I saw some bubbles on the tip. The torch started blowing bubbles. LOL.
I smelled propane again today. I have been smelling it for 2-3 days. Then my tank ran out. I have heard that at the end of the tank the propane gets extra smelly. Today it turned out to be true. I refilled the tank and the smell was gone?

Juliac
2005-10-09, 3:51pm
When I changed some hoses this week, I didn't tighten my flashback arrester enough. Found it thanks to a tip from Brent to spray everything with soapy water mist from a spray bottle. Thank god it wasn't my torch. :love: Thanks Jude, Brent and Heather for trying to help. It's great to have knowledgeable people to turn to on a Sunday afternoon.
Heather, how did you fix your torch tip?