Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Etching boro?

Cosmo
2005-10-10, 11:40am
I know Pyrex was originally developed to resist etching, so I may be fighting a losing battle, but is there any way to etch boro? I know sandblasting may be the best way to get an etched look, but I don't have access to a sandblaster...

Jamn!
2005-11-09, 6:17pm
I am surprised no one anwered this. I have heard you can etch colored boro but the clear resists etching more. Its easier to sandblast clear boro.

Cosmo
2005-11-09, 8:55pm
Yeah. I found that out (after leaving a piece in etching liquid for a week). I'm in the process of getting my own sandblaster as we speak....

Jamn!
2005-11-11, 12:19pm
I would love to see pictures. :) Did it etch after a week?

Cosmo
2005-11-11, 12:22pm
Nope. Still completely smooth and shiny...

MaryAnn
2005-11-12, 10:11am
Hey Chad!
Another thing you can try is tumbling them with grit. I did this a long time ago with boro and think I used silicon carbide 600 grit. It seems like it took about a day or more. I've been thinking about giving it another try but the stuff was so messy. Like powder graphite.

I've also sandblasted them with good results as well. Good luck!

Jamn!
2005-11-14, 5:25pm
Do you need to anneal it again after its been tumbled for a day? :confused:

MaryAnn
2005-11-14, 6:11pm
Do you need to anneal it again after its been tumbled for a day? :confused:
No, I don't believe so, at least I never did. You are not heating it back up, only tumbling it.

Cosmo
2005-11-14, 6:13pm
Yeah, sandblasting is the way to go. I only want part of the glass to be rough. My sandblaster should be in next week...

luke gardner
2005-11-14, 8:00pm
I have always thought that sandblasting or tumbling should weaken the structural stability because of the millions of acute angles scored into the surface. Just a speculation.

luke gardner
2005-11-14, 8:01pm
I have always thought that sandblasting or tumbling should weaken the structural stability because of the millions of acute angles scored into the surface. Just a speculation.

LUCID VISIONS
2005-11-14, 8:30pm
sandblasting will cause weakening of the structural integrity, it's just as luke described. It does not need to be annealed again since no heat was reintroduced to the glass.

Cosmo
2005-11-14, 8:31pm
Well, the only thing I would be doing is just roughing up the surface so it looks frosted. It wouldn't be anything major.

Gail Joseph
2006-09-09, 7:33am
Hey Chad--Just found this old thread. Did you ever get your sandblaster? Do you like it? I need to sandblast soft glass, and have been looking at benchtop sandblasters at Rio and Harbor Freight, and wondered if you had any words of wisdom. A friend has an air compressor she can loan me, but I suppose if there was such a thing as a small, inexpensive air compressor, I'd get one of them for myself too. Anyway, I'd appreciate any info you'd like to share!-Gail

Fire Dance Glass
2006-09-09, 9:17am
I use ETCH BATH by the company ARMOUR Products when I etch my figurines.

The bottle says to shake well before using, but don't do it. Just pour the liquid that is sitting at the top into a plastic container. I have found that the grainy stuff at the bottom doesn't work well with boro. It leaves a grainy texture on your piece.

Then I soak my piece for about 24 hours flipping it once so the etch is nice and even. I bought the stuff at ACMoore Craft store.

I hope this helps!

~Melanie~

Cosmo
2006-09-11, 5:33am
Hmm... I have some of the exact same stuff here. I had a piece in it for a week straight and it didn't etch at all.

I got my sandblaster, but haven't had a chance to go get the compressor and hook it up yet.

pipyr
2006-09-11, 3:19pm
This may sound dumb, but I was so impatient that I went to Michaels and got one of those crappy little "sadblasting" kits with the can of air and plastic "gun" thing. Not very economical to use (I will be replacing it as soon as I can) but it WORKS!! Good if you just want to try sandblasting before investing a lot of $ :)

Cosmo
2006-09-12, 5:42am
Well, I've already invested $500 on the cabinet. I've gone too far to turn back now...

kiko
2006-09-12, 2:22pm
So I'm tumbling some boro hollow beads in 600 grit and plastic media sludge right now and I will report back if the finish is satisfactory. It looks like it may take 24 hours or so. Tomorrow will be day 1. I too would like more feedback about sandblasting if anyone out there wants to share...

Lori

Fire Dance Glass
2006-09-14, 9:52am
Hmm... I have some of the exact same stuff here. I had a piece in it for a week straight and it didn't etch at all.

I got my sandblaster, but haven't had a chance to go get the compressor and hook it up yet.

I forgot to mention that the Etch Bath only works with clear boro. Maybe you were trying to etch colored boro?

Congrats on the sandblaster!! WOO HOO!!

Cosmo
2006-09-14, 1:11pm
I forgot to mention that the Etch Bath only works with clear boro. Maybe you were trying to etch colored boro?

Congrats on the sandblaster!! WOO HOO!!

No. It was clear. Strange...

aks141
2007-02-02, 2:29am
So I'm tumbling some boro hollow beads in 600 grit and plastic media sludge right now and I will report back if the finish is satisfactory. It looks like it may take 24 hours or so. Tomorrow will be day 1. I too would like more feedback about sandblasting if anyone out there wants to share...

Lori

Coming out of lurkdom to say I'm interested in your results.

kiko
2007-02-02, 9:25am
Hi, Just found this! I did tumble some boro beads in 600 grit. The results were a little "rough". I did achieve a matte surface but it was not as satiney as I would have liked. I too am going to invest in a sandblaster so I'm hoping we can get a dialogue started on this topic again. Lori

aks141
2007-02-02, 3:23pm
Thanks Lori, I'm about to embark on a tumbling experiment and will post results.

kiko
2007-02-02, 4:14pm
Anne. I used about 4 tblsp 600 grit. S.C. some plastic pellets 3 cups to cushion and water (slurry consistency). I tumbled about 12 hours. Maybe I should have tumbled more? I'd be interested to see your results and suggestions. Best! Lori

Ro
2007-02-03, 1:33pm
you can sandblast or grind it or grit in a tumbler witha few other pieces of glass. works great , i was so surprised i could etch it with the tumbler. without other glass in there it took longer, but within an hour i saw a difference finished in 3. grit that came for rocks, i just used the coarse one, water, a few pyrex pieces (beads/lumps) it doesnt really say what the grit is.
ro

HardwoodTrailGlass
2007-02-04, 4:43am
I'm still confused...nothin' new ;)
My husband has a sandblaster for manly stuff, so what EXACTLY am I supposed to get for Boro and where? There are so many choices, eek. :waving:

SteveWright
2007-02-05, 1:15pm
Carrie,

I sandblast with 180 mesh Aluminum Oxide blasting media. You could use 220 Aluminum Oxide for a smoother finish.

The where is another matter. Grainger carries it in large doses. Around $60 for a small boatload. Some Harbor Freights have a limited vaiety. Check the yellow pages for sandblasting.

Steve

Cosmo
2007-02-05, 1:24pm
I ended up abandoning the idea of etching boro. I have a sandblaster now. Still waiting on enough spare time to get it up and running...

HardwoodTrailGlass
2007-02-05, 3:03pm
Carrie,

I sandblast with 180 mesh Aluminum Oxide blasting media. You could use 220 Aluminum Oxide for a smoother finish.

The where is another matter. Grainger carries it in large doses. Around $60 for a small boatload. Some Harbor Freights have a limited vaiety. Check the yellow pages for sandblasting.

Steve

Thanks Steve...we have a local Grainger, so I'll give them a call.

SteveWright
2007-02-05, 4:14pm
Also Carrie,
Go there with your business name and tell them you want to set up a cash account. They sell to businesses. If you are one when you walk in, there will be no trouble.

Usually they have a 'city desk' go there to set up the account.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/start.shtml?BV_UseBVCookie=no

wildfirelauri
2007-02-10, 8:12pm
I have a brand spankin new blasting cabinet that has been sitting in my garage for over six months. I will get it up and running..eventually.

This "amoeba" was in etching solution for about eight hours and it came out pretty toasted.

dogmaw
2007-02-10, 8:23pm
Wow Lauri, that is cool.

pipyr
2007-02-10, 10:44pm
That's freaking cool, lauri!!!!!

fyrsmith
2007-02-11, 2:37am
I have etched colored boro with Armour Etch. I accidentally left it in for about two days and got a very interesting surface. Not a smooth sandblast look at all. It looked more like crystalized sugar covering the surface.

-Don-

Mr. Smiley
2007-02-11, 4:19am
If you sand blast the surface, you DO weaken the glass. it's just like scoring it in a million places. It will snap just like a scored rod. Beef up your designs if you are going to blast sculpture. ;)

Cosmo
2007-02-11, 2:41pm
Most of what I'll be sandblasting will be marbles anyways, so no worries there...

Mr. Smiley
2007-02-11, 3:56pm
Marbles are awesome blasted. I took one to Tucson that was really neat. i should do more... lack of time sucks! :lol: