Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Beads Wanted for New Book

Griffin Dove
2007-07-01, 7:04am
Marjorie Langston and I are working on a new book!

As I did with the last book, Just Plain Beads! -- I will be paying the guest artists for their work.

Please send low resolution images, and the price of the bead to:

griffindove@mindspring.com

Any bead goes! If your bead is selected, payment will be twice the price of the bead (1/2 is for the bead, 1/2 is for the copyright to that particular bead).

There is no due date, though once the rough draft is finished, I'll be posting one.

Thanks! Can't wait to see the work!
Deanna

Carolyn M
2007-07-01, 7:46am
I have a question. What does the copyright involve? Does that mean you wouldn't be able to make that bead again? What about similar beads?

Griffin Dove
2007-07-01, 9:46am
That particular bead, not the series or like-beads ...I would be able to photograph it, publish it, use it for advertising, etc. without needing to get your permission for its derivative uses. Nor would I need to worry about it showing up in other journals, books, and magazines.

Deanna

afina
2007-07-01, 9:54am
Hi Deanna!
Are you looking for a special kind of beads or is any bead in any technique welcome?
Regards, Verena

Griffin Dove
2007-07-01, 10:00am
Any type...even it if doesn't get used for this upcoming publication, I'll have a picture for a "go-to" library!

Deanna

KG Richard
2007-07-02, 5:54pm
Is this a current thread? What is the deadline and where do we send a pic. Thanks, Karen

crystalflipz
2007-07-02, 8:28pm
Any suggestions on how to price the beads?

Griffin Dove
2007-07-03, 4:38am
This is a current thread! No deadline yet, and email address is in the first post.

Price the beads exactly as you would if you were selling them to the general public. I'll multiply by two in my head.

Thanks to all who have responded! The work is wonderful. A couple of issues have come up.

All pictures will be kept in my "library". If you can, if you have the photo software, please put your artist name and email address on the picture. If I need to contact you in a couple of years, this will help me in case my mail software gets compromised.

Please, no sets at the present time. They are just as beautiful, but for now the preference is for single beads.

Thanks again! Wonderful beadmakers!
Deanna

beadstillmyheart
2007-07-04, 2:20pm
Deanna, can this be a picture of a bead that we have already sold?

Griffin Dove
2007-07-05, 5:50am
I need the bead to photograph so that all the photos have the same backdrop, another reason I am buying both bead and its copyright. If you love a bead you have made and sold, make something like it to submit!

That said, the beads chosen should have plenty of individual identity.
Deanna

beadstillmyheart
2007-07-05, 5:58am
OK, thanks. It really wasn't clear that you would be buying the BEAD, just that you wanted the image and cost. But I understand now...I'm a little slow.

marlasmud
2007-07-07, 7:21am
Hi Deanna!
Are you interested in Ceramic Artist Beads? Or is this for Lampwork Artist Beads only?

ginkgoglass
2007-07-07, 11:47am
What is going to be the name of your new book?
Lana

LoriGreenberg
2007-07-07, 3:49pm
Hi Deanna.

I always like to submit things, when I can get my act together! Can you give a few details about the book so we know what we're submitting to? Or did I miss something?

Thanks!

msjjjj
2007-07-08, 6:37am
Deanna is on her way to Touchstone to teach for a week, but I can answer a couple of the questions:
Since providing glass beadmakers with information to refine their skills is the purpose of the books, this is a call for lampworked beads. (Although, having said that, there may be some books down the road that could include other things - better let Deanna give a definite answer here).

Deanna has several books in the works - some of them I don't have details about - so she is looking for a variety of beads for inclusion in those books.

The book we are working on together doesn't have a title yet. For some reason, it is always easier to decide on a title when the book is almost finished. I'll bet we sorted through 150 titles before settling on Just Plain Beads for the last book!

Marjorie

Nicker
2007-07-08, 10:56am
So Deanna just wants the bead? Not a tutorial on how the bead was made? Send a low res picture with our name, contact info and price on it? Keep the bead until we hear yeah or nay from Deanna?

Laurie L
2007-07-08, 11:13am
Post 10 says shes actually buying the bead from anyone who submiits one, and owns the copyright to it.

Nicker
2007-07-08, 1:41pm
I did realize that, that's why I was hanging onto it till you hear from Deanna yeah or neah. I just wondered if a tutorial was required with the bead.

Laurie L
2007-07-08, 2:22pm
Sorry...it sounded as if you werent sure. :)

msjjjj
2007-07-08, 3:04pm
Hey Nicker - yes, just the bead. No tutorial. You're correct - send the photo to her. If she thinks it is something she can use, she will arrange to purchase the bead from you.

I think she will be back on-line around the 15th.

Thanks to everyone for the interest,
Marjorie

Nicker
2007-07-08, 3:09pm
Hey Nicker - yes, just the bead. No tutorial. You're correct - send the photo to her. If she thinks it is something she can use, she will arrange to purchase the bead from you.

I think she will be back on-line around the 15th.

Thanks to everyone for the interest,
Marjorie

Perfect thanks! I am goign to work on a couple things for this. Can we send/do more than one?

msjjjj
2007-07-08, 5:53pm
more than one - yup - send in as many as you want.

M.

Melanie
2007-07-15, 6:42pm
Hi Marjorie! i think i might actually send something... \\:D/ hope this is a big success! did i miss a due date? i probably did, as i am goofy!

melanie

msjjjj
2007-07-17, 3:49am
Hi Melanie - there's no specific due date. We'll need images for the book we are working on now (no projected completion date yet), but Deanna will also need images for later publications. As you create beautiful things, send the pics to her.

See ya in the fall - Marjorie

Islandgirl
2007-07-17, 3:59am
I'm just posting so I don't loose the thread... so she wants us to email a small crappy picture to her of a bead with a price?

OK I can do that!

Lynne

sleekbeads
2007-07-17, 11:13am
lol, sounds easy 'nuff!

Griffin Dove
2007-07-19, 6:52am
Yep, easy, easy!

No deadlines, no need for professional picture.

Send pics whenever something special comes out of the kiln!

Marj and I are hoping our book comes out in the Fall....but these books always seem to take longer than expected!

Deanna

Anne Ricketts
2007-07-20, 6:05am
I'll work on something after I get back from the Gathering!!

ChristinaColligan
2007-07-29, 7:04pm
Deanna Love! Hello Darlin! I will work on something for you if it is not too late :-) How's the studio temp? Has it cooled down yet? Going to Alabama in August .... still doing first Saturdays?

kramdas
2007-08-02, 5:38pm
Quick question-I may be missing something here :) ...How soon will we be notified of your interest/non-interest in a bead? If you're keeping a file for future books, does that mean we have to keep the bead on hand (not sell it) indefinately?

Griffin Dove
2007-08-10, 3:56pm
Apologies for a late response...I've been out of town or out of it. What a miserable three weeks! No operating system on my computer or very ill.
Anyway, I've received some beautiful submissions.

As they come in I "place them" in my mind. But I'm just finishing a book and Marj and I are just getting started on the next, so there are no hard dates yet.

Keeping it on file means that I recognize that the bead may no longer be available -- I would ask you to make something similar if I needed it.

Deanna

pipyr
2007-08-16, 6:10pm
Are pendants considered "beads" for these books, or should I wait for a "call for pendants?" Is boro welcome? :-k:biggrin:

Griffin Dove
2007-08-19, 7:32am
Pendants welcome! Last I looked they had a hole....

Boro welcome too.

Deanna

SuzyQ
2007-08-19, 9:20am
So you will let us know if the bead is or is not going in your file?

Griffin Dove
2007-08-22, 11:20am
Every bead is going into my file! Never know, and never know how much someone will improve in the time it takes to get to the next book.

I am hoping the rough draft is finished by October so we can let people know the topic of the book we are currently working on.

Deanna

sleekbeads
2007-09-16, 1:59pm
Dang, I forgot about this... is it too late or are you still accepting?

Also what was the answer to one of those first questions... will we be able to make and sell that particular bead/set again? Or will you have full copyright on it?

Thanks Deanna, will look for an answer. Not sure how often you check this thread.
Jo

Griffin Dove
2007-09-18, 5:42am
This is an on-going call for entries. -- I have about ten books in my head! So as bead submissions come in, I file them for future reference.

Not full copyright, the image rights for the bead(s) I choose.

Deanna

sleekbeads
2007-09-18, 7:33am
Perfect, thanks!

SuzFromOz
2007-10-19, 2:08am
If you love a bead you have made and sold, make something like it to submit!

Keeping it on file means that I recognize that the bead may no longer be available -- I would ask you to make something similar if I needed it.

Deanna

Hi, Just wanted to clarify these two posts above - they seem a bit contradictory. If the beads are on file indefinitely, and can be remade if they have gone before being selected, then does it make any difference if they are already sold when submitted?

Thanks

Suz

Kalera
2007-10-19, 2:22am
Deanna, I keep meaning to submit... things have just been so busy. If it is not too late for this book, hopefully I can get it together enough for a subsequent one.

Griffin Dove
2007-10-19, 6:16am
Sold and published are two different things....I'm trying to get a lot of "virgin" beads.

You are right it gets very confusing! Deanna

pambead
2007-10-20, 6:25am
Hi Deanna I am interested also in being a part of this however am a little confused. Which is commom for me! Are you looking for "virgin" as in something never seen before or our "signature" work if there is such a thing. Or does it matter? Must your bead have a hole clear through as I do vessesl both ways. Lots of questions..sorry.
Pam Wolfersberger

SuzFromOz
2007-10-22, 11:27pm
hmm, ok, im going to assume Sold is ok then...even though in that first comment I quoted, you said no, to make another one like it.

thanks - now to start thinking about what might be suitable (and trying to remember what I sent to the 'women in glass' issue of the flow! (so I dont double up!)

Griffin Dove
2007-10-26, 9:54am
Now I'm completely confused!

Send me pictures--we'll muddle through. I do need the bead in hand to take pictures of, so if it is sold, I will want something similar.

Deanna

debgay
2008-01-20, 7:13pm
Are you still loking for beads its been a while since the last post.

dkaylu
2008-01-27, 6:28am
I'd be interested to know if you are still looking for submissions!?!

SandyQ
2008-02-02, 8:37am
me too me too me too :)

Griffin Dove
2008-02-21, 10:09am
I'm sorry I haven't been around....busy working and I get so easily distracted, I needed to hole up!

Anyway, the current book is about done and I'm hoping just two weeks from the going to press. It's called Encase It! I think I'm out of room, but if you have something send it anyway, just in case something comes up.

Please--no bubbles!

Deanna