Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Pot melts

Iwantonetoo
2007-07-13, 5:40pm
HI I am new to this, and LOVE it btw. I was thinking about using my shorts for pot melts. I have only ever done pot melts with 96COE though.

Anyone ever do it with the moretti rods? Were you happy with the results?

Thanks,

Sheri

SuzyQ
2007-07-13, 5:57pm
Do you mean like these?

http://www.threemusesglass.com/catalog.php?category=5

I would think so, because I have some of these and I can't bring myself to do more than fondle them they are so pretty.

Three Muses Glass
2007-07-13, 6:33pm
Suzy you sweetie you! How are you ever going to buy more if you don't use them?:lol: Kidding! in the summer production drops to nuttin hunny. Too hot!
I do make those with clay pots, the process is very similar! and another use for clay pots can be these for glass shorts.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11761&highlight=pot+melts
I did the tutorial awhile back and sorry to say the pics were wiped off my pic server and the original digitals got eaten by my old computer. Sheri, I think the little ones might be fine, you could get some devit though. Ask the peeps in the fusing room for temp info and things like that for moretti. I'm sure someone must have tried it!:smile:

Iwantonetoo
2007-07-13, 6:34pm
well, those are swfully pretty, but no, that's not what I meant.

I take small scraps of compatible glass (only done 96 so far) and put it into a flower pot. Raise the pot on kiln furniture, or whatever we call it. and let it melt out through the bottom of the pot into a beautiful "glob" of glass. (No black though) I have never posted a picture here, but I will certainly try and see what happens.

My file is too big, so I will try to resize it and try it later.

squid
2007-07-13, 7:14pm
You might want to check on www.warmglass.com for help with potmelts. I am sure you can do them with 104 shorts, but since some of the colors are so reactive, you will have to be careful with the colors you use I would think.

kahlamodie
2007-07-14, 4:53am
I would like to see a pic of those, they sound interesting.

Iwantonetoo
2007-07-14, 5:36am
OK, I am a fairly new mac user, and cannot figure out how to resize a picture file to be accepted here.

I'm still working on it though. lol

They are very pretty, and then you can cut them up for cabs, or the larger ones I slump into bowls and sell them in our store. No waste!!

Iwantonetoo
2007-07-14, 5:46am
ok, did I do it?? It's real easy to try and out think a Mac. They make it all so simple, I can't always figure it out. Now, if my picture posting ability worked......

This one was made with oranges, reds, yellows and clear. Some transparent, and some opaque.

SuzyQ
2007-07-14, 6:54am
Wow, that is really cool looking. I see decorative cutting board, cheese serving plate type things. :)

Three Muses Glass
2007-07-14, 7:10am
OK, I see you know already how to do this. So about my post.....never mind.:lol:

Anne Ricketts
2007-07-14, 7:16am
Take a look here, http://www.austinbluemoon.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=31. Jim at Bluemoon made some really cool ones using the stainless steel utensil holders from Ikea. :grin:

Iwantonetoo
2007-07-14, 8:03am
wow! Those are COOL!!!! I love IKEA, it's like Target on steroids. I'll have to get a couple of those next time I am there.

Anyway, my original question.....has anyone used the glass rod shorts to do this? I think when I have enough I will definitely try it (what can it hurt?). As long as it's compatible glass, it will melt fine. I am just curious about how pretty the outcome will be.

lldesigns
2007-07-14, 8:29am
Umm, the pot melts are really cool looking but what do you do with them?!

Iwantonetoo
2007-07-14, 10:04am
Well, everyone has there own ideas. If you cut them, they have really neat textures to use in future fusing projects like millefore (spelling?).

They also make nice bowls or plates (depending on the size).

That orange one is small so I will either use it in a drop ring for a vase, or cut it up and refire them into cabs. They make really neat pendants!

lldesigns
2007-07-14, 11:32am
Thank you!

Cindy2
2007-07-15, 8:41am
Anyway, my original question.....has anyone used the glass rod shorts to do this?

Yes, I've tried it. So far, I haven't liked the results. I don't believe it's a problem with the glass as it's a problem with my set up. The glass melts onto the kiln furniture that is holding up the clay pot. I don't have a large enough area for the glass to melt. I can't seem to figure out how to set it up so I have a good area - the furniture is in the way.

I got one good one from Effetre Ivory and transparent amber.

Careful mixing the yellow, orange and corals in Effetre - my shorts in those colors were off just enough in COE that they were incompatible when fused. Not everyone's will be like that but I have some OLD shorts!! LOL!

Cindy

Cosmo
2007-07-15, 12:54pm
Most of the pot melts I have done were then slumped/fused again. And, to answer the original poster... Moretti works fine. We have slumped them into dishes, cut them into strips and made bracelets, etc. Basically anything you can do with regular fused glass you can do with pot melts. The pot melting procedure for me is just a way to combine the colors into patterns that you wouldn't normally be able to get.

Abacus Beads
2007-07-16, 7:35am
OK this is soooo neat. my only problem is that the photos don't show up on my computer. Question: how do you get rid of the "drips" that come out of the pot and havn't completly fallen after you have cooled it down ?
Liz R

squid
2007-07-16, 7:46am
OK this is soooo neat. my only problem is that the photos don't show up on my computer. Question: how do you get rid of the "drips" that come out of the pot and havn't completly fallen after you have cooled it down ?
Liz R

You need to hold at the top temp to get the last of the glass out of the pot - that will eliminate the drips suspended in mid-air.