Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Create Borders Using Photoshop

jjglass
2007-08-02, 8:10pm
Another thread in the Bathroom, saving it before it gets flushed. Hope it helps someone:

Ok, it's not too hard so I shall splain to you Lucy :).

First of all I am using Photoshop CS2.

Anyway, start with your base image and add a layer:

You will get a window that looks like this:

Use the defaults and click OK. Next, choose a color for your first border. you can use either the color picker (highlighted in yellow):

or you can use the eyedropper and sample a color from your artwork (highlighted in yellow. Nothing like using the color from your beads as the border.):

Next, choose the rectangle tool (highlighted in yellow):

You are essentially going to draw three rectangles, one inside of the other, inside of the other. To get started, turn off the eye next to your art so that you don't get confused. This will make your artwork "invisible" until later so you know what layer you are drawing on. You don't have to do this, but it may make it easier for you (eye highlighted in yellow):

Next, we start drawing a rectangle. The picture you should be seeing initially will look like a checkerboard. This is fine as that means that area is transparent, or anything underneath it will show through (kind of like encasing.) Draw your first rectangle:

Change colors and then draw your second rectangle inside the first:

For the third rectangle, you need to go to the toolbar on the top and change the mode to clear (you need to be in the rectangle shape mode to select the Mode as Clear):

This will make any shape you draw transparent. Now draw your third rectangle:

Now that you have your border, click the eye on the layer palette again next to your original artwork. You now have a border around your artwork:

This will work for text, other images etc. You can set layers upon layers upon layers. It's all up to your imagination and skill level. Hope this helps!

Just Nancy
2007-08-03, 7:14am
Lucy says "Thank you" :) I've wanted to know that for a long time.

glassactcc
2007-08-03, 7:17am
I LOVE Lucy!!! Oh, and the explaination too of course.

jjglass
2007-08-03, 7:46am
No problem, hope it helps :)

Jason

Emily
2007-08-03, 7:50am
Can we do it the same way in Elements? I don't work for Adobe, and I'm not springing for CS-anything.

BeadMaven
2007-08-03, 8:15am
Its great, JJ!
Thanks again :D

jjglass
2007-08-03, 8:17am
Can we do it the same way in Elements? I don't work for Adobe, and I'm not springing for CS-anything.

Sorry, I don't have elements installed so I don't know. As the title says, this is for Photoshop based on Photoshop CS, you of course don't have to spring for anything. As long as you have the same toolsets it should work the same so give it a try and let the Elements folks know if you like.

BarbaraB
2007-08-03, 11:48am
I think it will work like this in PS Elements. I had another cheapy program on the PC that was so easy...now I have a Mac and am still learning the Element's features.