Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Tutorial on making Silk Strings

Beadbug
2007-08-16, 5:20am
I took all the compiled information and posted it on my blog. If you would like to visit it here is the link.

http://copperglassandrecycledtrash.blogspot.com/2011/11/silk-strings-tutorial.html

Thanks for your interest.

RuskinDesigns
2007-08-16, 5:42am
Where do you get your silk? I have looked in the local fabric stores and they don't seem to have anything suitable.

susiekline
2007-08-16, 6:09am
Thanks so much, Tracy! I went to bed wondering about these and was going to ask!

I've gotten silk scarves at Dick Blick. They are ready for painting or dyeing. You could cut these up. I know Dharma Trading sells silk pieces.

I wonder if you could use silk ribbon so you could skip the serging step? Just thinking out loud...

Beadbug
2007-08-16, 6:37am
I got my silk at Fields Fabrics in Kalamazoo. I believe that they will do mail order if you give them a call. The cost was around $14.00 per yard.

The silk that scarves are made out of is quite a bit lighter weight than the silk I made these out of but will still work. It tends to wad up more when you wear and tye them. I believe the weight of the silk I used was called shantung.

You could use silk ribbon and I am sure it would look great.

sculptorgirl
2007-08-16, 7:43am
You could use silk ribbon and I am sure it would look great.
It does -- Dharma Trading has silk ribbon and cord (for those of us without sergers, ribbon is a great alternative). Thanks for the tutorial!

Cherine Perrin
2007-08-16, 9:26am
Damn, I don't know how to sew. Those are absolutely gorgeous!

tt4st
2007-08-17, 12:11pm
Thanks for the info Tracy!

I just bought some scarves and a silk kit from Dharma Trading and they were excellent to deal with. The person taking my order was very helpful. They have a big catalog full of dyes for all kinds of fabrics, lots of clothes to use your color on, silk of various weights, and tons more stuff. They have lots of information on their website too!
http://www.dharmatrading.com/

Suzanne

Emily
2007-08-17, 1:44pm
Here's silk ribbon from Dharma Trading that's ready to dye:

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/2097-AA.shtml?lnav=clothing.html

This is silk ribbon cut on the bias with unfinished edges:

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/652015-AA.shtml?lnav=clothing.html

Here's silk cord:

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/2029-AA.shtml?lnav=clothing.html

I haven't tried dyeing silk ribbon. I've bought stuff from Dharma Trading and have been pleased with their customer service. I haven't had great results when I've tried to heat-set things with an iron, though. I was trying to do larger pieces, and maybe it works better when you're just doing ribbon. I also haven't used the spray-on dye.

Dharma's catalog has directions on how to steam-set dyes in a pot on your stove. It sounds like it ought to be manageable with silk cord or ribbon, particularly if you're going for a "painterly" effect (and therefore don't mind a little bleeding from one color to another.) Has anyone done it?

Beadbug
2007-08-17, 2:37pm
The silk I am using isn't the light weight stuff that you get on the spools or I would have simply purchased this and been half done with the project. The reason for the heavier silk is because it takes the dye better and has some body to stand up to the wear and tear of being worn.

If you rinse your ribbins after letting the dye dry until the water runs clear I don't think it would matter what method you used to set the dye. The last think you want is a blue neck because extra dye got left in the ribbon. I like to use the iron because it makes them look so pretty and when you are finished dying they are slightly wrinkled and a bit wadded up.

MaryBeth
2007-08-17, 2:52pm
Thanks for this!

I'll have to give this a try then my poor neglected sewing machines and sergers will stop glaring at me:grin:

sculptorgirl
2007-08-17, 6:44pm
I haven't tried dyeing silk ribbon. I've bought stuff from Dharma Trading and have been pleased with their customer service. I haven't had great results when I've tried to heat-set things with an iron, though.
Hi Emily, rather than a steam pot (traditional way to set dyes on silk), you might try the microwave setting method.

Here's a link to Dharma's instructions, but you can search the internet to find what other people do.
http://www.dharmatrading.com/info/microsilk.html

Lee
2007-08-17, 6:52pm
You can also dye silk using cold water and Procion fiber reactive dyes (available thru Dharma, as well). This is the method I use on all my silk......much easier.

Beadbug
2007-08-17, 6:55pm
MaryBeth, My serger had been learing at me for a couple of years so I know the feeling.

The microwave method of dye setting is a great idea I'm going to try it tomorrow.

I am also going to try sprinkling salt onto the silk once the dye is on it while wet to get some unusual patterns.

Beadbug
2007-08-19, 7:12pm
I dyed some new strings last night and have to say that the microwave tip is the best ever. After applying the dye I placed two strings into a sandwich ziploc and put them into the microwave for a min. Took them out and let them dry, Ironed them flat and then ran under water to see if any extra dye would come out and YEAH none did. Thanks for that microwave tip. Here is a photo of the colors I got.
Tracy

dgg112
2007-08-20, 5:29am
Tracy your ribbons are gorgeous!!! Almost makes me want to go get my serger out, but not quite!!! lol
Great tutorial though!!

Mustang Dawn
2007-08-20, 6:38am
I dyed some new strings last night and have to say that the microwave tip is the best ever. After applying the dye I placed two strings into a sandwich ziploc and put them into the microwave for a min. Took them out and let them dry, Ironed them flat and then ran under water to see if any extra dye would come out and YEAH none did. Thanks for that microwave tip. Here is a photo of the colors I got.
Tracy

Tracy,

Those are SWEET!! I'm a hot glue gun and duct tape girl. I only sew patches on my sons vest when needed... whats a serger, lol. Do you think the spool ones would work? This looks like a lot of fun :)

I'm realy looking forward to Barb's house in September!

See you then,

Dawn

evilglass
2007-08-20, 7:48am
Dharma also has silk fabric in various weights!

My daughter's last science fair project involved dyeing and different methods, it was a lot of fun. We used polyester (fake fur), cotton, and a mid weight silk (the latter two from Dharma).

We found that if you do a *cold* (like ice, salt and water, keeping the temp around 30 degrees-the salt keeps it from freezing and lets the water get that cold The fabric dye batch was in a sealed container for this one.) dye bath, you get rich pastel colors, very nice. Hot (near boiling) gave deeper colors, and warm gave lighter shades. We used the procion dyes from Dharma as well. And the kiddo got an Honorable Mention, that we didn't find out about until the next school year at parent/teacher night!

sculptorgirl
2007-08-20, 10:02am
Fabulous Color Tracy!!!!

=D>

Beadbug
2007-08-20, 12:23pm
I looked at Dharma's Fabrics and I think the crinkle silk would be fun to work with. It would give the strings more depth.

Dawn, I am bringing some strings to the September meeting if you would like some.

Thanks, Terri

Yvon
2007-08-20, 1:15pm
Thanks for sharing such great details on the silk strings. Including the sites to find materials is helpful, too. Great work and beautiful colors.

Simply Us
2007-08-20, 3:23pm
It was ALOT of fun to do at Tracy's!!!!!!!!!!! Makes me think I might need to do this, too!
Sandra

Mustang Dawn
2007-08-20, 3:27pm
I looked at Dharma's Fabrics and I think the crinkle silk would be fun to work with. It would give the strings more depth.

Dawn, I am bringing some strings to the September meeting if you would like some.

Thanks, Terri

Tracy, I would love some! I'm going to go though my studio for the garage sale too :)

Can you post a link to the crinkle silk?

Thanks, Dawn

aimee
2007-08-20, 6:01pm
Those are awesome. I was going to try and resist but who am I kidding. I already have the serger, though it is covered in dust.

I love the look of the silk ribbons but I'm too cheap to ever buy any. :roll:

Beadbug
2007-08-20, 6:19pm
Dawn, a link won't do you any good with out a serger you would just have yardage. A serger finishes the edges and there is nothing else out there that will do as nice of a job. Even the cheapest of sergers will most likely do a rolled hem.

Aimee, If you fire up that serger make sure to give it a good shot of oil at all the metal moving on metal parts and don't forget to use all cotton thread. I think all the fun is in dying your own so make some up and have some fun.

Mustang Dawn
2007-08-20, 6:33pm
Dawn, a link won't do you any good with out a serger you would just have yardage. A serger finishes the edges and there is nothing else out there that will do as nice of a job. Even the cheapest of sergers will most likely do a rolled hem.

See shows you how much I know on the subject :shock:

Good thing I know who makes them :cool:

Marjo
2007-08-21, 2:43am
Thanks for this thread. Those dyed silk ribbons and cords I've seen at the shows have always seemed very pricey, but gorgeous. You've made this sound quite do-able.

I'm gonna have to try it. I poked around Dharma and found this tut:
http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1687254-AA.shtml?lnav=gifts.html
Has anyone ever tried this stuff? Know if it dries soft enough for jewelry?

Also I saw that they have the silk rolled cord:
http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/2029-AA.shtml?lnav=clothing.html

Beadbug
2007-08-21, 5:14am
Marjo, It doesn't sound like this is dye because you have to "paint" both sides. If it where dye you wouldn't have to do this. I would stick with the dyes you could apply them the same way but you would only need to apply to one side. This would take a lot more time than needed with the dye and they have great dyes on the dharma trading site.

aimee
2007-08-21, 10:21am
I wonder if you could add some texture to the silk before cutting and serging it by doing a broom handle drying to it? Like you're supposed to do to those skirts. Or would it come out when you added the dye?

I also wonder if you could dye the fabric first then use a contrasting thread to serger with?

Beadbug
2007-08-21, 11:56am
I don't think you would want to deal with it to wrinkled while serging it but after you were all done dying it, you could take a bunch of them and do the broom handle drying. I think that could be quite affective.

sculptorgirl
2007-08-24, 4:42pm
Tracy, after seeing how beautiful your dyed silk strands came out, I am finally trying it! Since I am serger-less, I bought the half-inch silk ribbon (and Jacquard silk dyes) and can't wait for my new supplies to get here! Thanks for the inspiration!

kittyluv4ever
2007-08-24, 5:03pm
Hey Terri, she inspired me as well and I am serger-less too! Let me know how the silk ribbon turns out. I actually purchased some winter white ribbons from Tracy to try and ordered the Jacquard dyes as well. I think we may need to start a new thread to compare notes on what works and what doesn't.

aimee
2007-08-25, 8:25am
I was in town yesterday so I stopped and got some silk, dye, and some cotton thread. I ended up having to buy just some regular size spools because they didn't have any cones in cotton. I was at three different stores too. And I think the silk I got might be too thick but they should still work.

Now I need to go find my serger manual so I can figure out how to do a rolled edge.

Beadbug
2007-08-25, 12:29pm
I thought that the silk I was using was to thick when I started but it truly made much nicer strings than the lighter weight fabric.

I am glad you ladies are trying this. It's so fun to watch the colors form on the fabrics.

Kevan
2007-08-25, 12:34pm
Hey, next time I see a serger at the Goodwill I'm grabbing it!

aimee
2007-08-25, 2:16pm
Okay, I've sergered one but it seems like the thread is too close together. I can't tell from your pics if they are tightly packed or if there's a space between them.

sculptorgirl
2007-08-25, 4:37pm
I think we may need to start a new thread to compare notes on what works and what doesn't.
Sure, or we can just steer this thread into two paths -- the serger-haves, and the serger-less! :lol: (Everybody will try the dyes....:-D)

Beadbug
2007-08-25, 4:56pm
Hey Aimee, My stitch length is at 3 they arn't tight at all actualy just tight enough to keep the edges rolled. I counted the thread wraps around the edge and it was 20 per inch. I hope this helps.

I would love to see photos of everyones dye jobs serged, serger less ribbons.

aimee
2007-08-26, 9:14am
Well my serger only goes to 2 so the threads are pretty close together.

But I'm running into a different problem, my serger lines keep coming right off the silk. Especially if I let the serger cut the silk. Any ideas what it might be? I'm going to run to the fabric store and get a different piece of silk.

Plus, I'm trying to cut mine using my cutting wheel and my self-healing cutting board and it's catching threads in the silk and shreading it. Grrrr, it's making me mad. ](*,)

Beadbug
2007-08-26, 4:26pm
Amiee, Your stitch length sould be fine. You just don't want them tight like a normal rolled hem.

Question #2 Can you change the width of your bite? Some sergers can some can't. If you can move the blade to your right, a wider section of fabric will be rolled into the serged edge.

Try cutting the ribbions with the fabric salvage instead from salvage to salvage. In non sewing terms cut from cut edge to cut edge. This will also help keep the threads from falling off the edges.

aimee
2007-08-26, 5:53pm
Thanks for answering my questions, and for the PM.

I was playing around and thought part of the reason it was coming apart so bad was because of the direction I was cutting the silk. I went and bought another piece so I'll start cutting it the other way. I had them cut off 42" so my cords will be a little longer. I was looking at some of them online and most of them seemed to be that length. Plus they had some of the silk on sale now, so I got a little better quality one that was wider too.

My serger is a pretty cheap model and the blade can't be adjusted. It's either on or off. We were looking at a different model at the fabric store that was on sale and boy was it nice. It was a White brand and it really made mine look like a piece of crap.

Beadbug
2007-08-27, 9:29am
The White Serger is made by Viking/Husquvarna and they are a good serger. You won't be sorry if you purchase one. They normaly come with classes also.

aimee
2007-08-27, 10:37am
I wish I would have bought that one but $300 is a lot to spend. But the way my serger is acting, I'm about to throw it in the lake. This one is at Joann's so I doubt they have any classes.

DH was with me, he's the one who went over and looked at them first. He's pretty funny to take to the store. He came back over and said "they have something that looks like your serger but it's called an overlock machine." I told him it was the same thing. That cause him to get all riled up and wanted to know why they were called something else. I told him that the expensive ones were called overlock and the cheapo ones like mine, were just a plain old sergers. :lol: He also kept telling me I should just go ahead and get it. Boy I wish I would have listened to him.

He also found an embroidary machine that was digital and could be hooked up to a laptop. He really wanted that. Mind you, he has NO idea how to sew but he likes anything electronic like that. He was talking about it all night. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he showed up tonight with both of them in the car.

aimee
2007-08-27, 10:42am
Oh and I also have another question for you. I noticed yours has the pointed ends to them. Did you have any problems with the serge line pulling off? I cut the new fabric the other direction and that solved that problem but when I tried to make the ends pointed, it just comes right off.

I still don't like how my stitch count looks. It's way to close together. But that's what I get for not buying the better machine. ](*,)

Beadbug
2007-08-28, 1:22pm
You have to love a man who can appreciate womens electronics. You should let him buy you a new serger if this is something you truly want to do just make sure it has totaly adjustible length and width of your stitch.

The ends of my ribbions are quite secure, do you mean your rolled edge is seperating from the fabric? If that is happening you arn't getting enough of your fabric rolled into the edge. You arn't cutting the strips into points are you? I just serge off the ends into a point. You have my phone number and I'm not working this week so feel free to just give me a call.

Tracy

chrisdd
2007-09-03, 8:01am
I have absolutely no desire to dye and sew my own. Where can I buy them? Tracy, do you sell your strings?

lillianw
2007-09-03, 8:59am
Wish I had known how much a really good serger costs because I went in to buy one, and spent so much more than I planned! Got a Viking, figured out how to thread that baby--took the burning of many brain cells to get it right, but finally success and lots of pretty ribbons:)

Beadbug
2007-09-03, 10:18am
Illianw, Please post a photo of your prettys! The rest of you who have made silk strings please post a photo of yours so we can see what colors you got and please tell us what type of dyes you used.

Chris, I will sell my nakid or dyed silks just contact me.

Tracy

aimee
2007-09-03, 1:22pm
Okay, I decided to just live with the ends not being tapered and I have a batch drying as I type so as soon as they're done, I'll post some pics.

Beadbug
2007-09-03, 4:07pm
Aimee, you could put silver beads that just fit onto the ribbons with a little glue for an end finish. I know this looks nice because I have used it on some of my ends that didn't turn out nice.

aimee
2007-09-05, 10:59am
Finally, I have pictures. I just squared the ends offs.

I used the spray dye from Hobby Lobby. Some of the colors I just used the color straight, others I mixed the colors.

Beadbug
2007-09-05, 3:40pm
Thoes are beautiful and I like the squared off ends they look great.

Jamn!
2007-09-06, 1:56am
How pretty! Oh no not another hobby. :)

Mustang Dawn
2007-09-06, 4:47am
Wow, those are Beautiful.... did anyone make any with the pre made ribbon, if so how did they turn out?

Dawn

sculptorgirl
2007-09-08, 1:12pm
Yesterday I made these out of Dharma Trading's pre-made ribbon and Jaquard dyes by the microwave method shown on Dharma's site.

I did not let the dyed pieces set overnight like the Jaquard bottle said to, I just moved directly from the dye to the microwave. (Next time I will try letting the dye set overnight before microwave steam setting it.)

The single colors are okay, but using more than one color gave me more depth (only did that on the ones that came out purple-y).

The carmine dye did not hold well and washed out quite a bit -- by the time they dried, they are now a flashy hot pink color! (Will try overdying some of them again to see if I can get a more carmine color....)

When the rest of you guys dye your silk, do you rinse it in cool water until the water runs clear? I washed mine in Dawn dish soap after the water ran clear, and a little more dye came out -- I want to make sure that the dyes will hold and never come off on skin or clothing. Is there any other process I should do to assure that? Thanks in advance for any tips!!!

Jamn!
2007-09-08, 1:25pm
Those are pretty and came out great!

Beadbug
2007-09-08, 4:50pm
Thoes are wonderful Terri. I also used the microwave method loved it. The ones I made were run under water onto a white bowl until no more color came out and then set the dye (again) with the iron. I don't know that ironing is necessary but I do it anyway.

Jamn!
2007-09-29, 12:51pm

Thanks, Terri

I have been looking at the silk and wondering which one you were calling crinkle silk?
Thanks

Beadbug
2007-09-30, 6:32am
You are welcome, I believe that is what these forms are about and if people don't want to share what they know then the forms arn't going to be much good to anyone.

The White Sergers are made by the Husquvarna company and are a very high quality macine. You would be very happy with that brand. I use to teach serger user classes for the Husquvarna and White sewing machines and always liked the way that the White machines sounded and ran.

Beadbug
2007-09-30, 6:35am
Heidi, Some silks come off the bolt of fabric with pressed in wrinkles for effect. You can get the same look with any silk by simply making your ribbons a bit wider, cutting them from salvage to salvage and not ironing them after you rince all the extra dye out. We have found that when you cut them salvage to salvage they tend to ravel more than if you where to cut them with the salvage.

Jamn!
2007-09-30, 6:54am
Which Dharma fabric did you think was crinkly? I can't tell looking at their pictures none of it looks crinkly.

I bought some Dupioni (spelling) at Joann's this week. I washed it and I think it looks pretty good so far! Today I am off to my mom's to sew ribbons on her serger all day! :)
I also am going to get my camera back!! Hopefully will be able to take pictures!

Jamn!
2007-09-30, 7:22am
Heidi, Some silks come off the bolt of fabric with pressed in wrinkles for effect. You can get the same look with any silk by simply making your ribbons a bit wider, cutting them from salvage to salvage and not ironing them after you rince all the extra dye out. We have found that when you cut them salvage to salvage they tend to ravel more than if you where to cut them with the salvage.

Thanks for this tip also! I am sure it will help today.
I bought about 4 1/2 yards. It was soiled and I asked for a discount. They gave me 50% off :-:rolleyes: They didn't ask me why I took it anyway so I didn't have my nose :^o. :)
I am going to be up to my eyeballs in ribbons. :)

Dawn
2007-09-30, 9:25am
Ok, don't hate me, but this works really well with velvet too. If you get a silk velvet, you can dye it the same way, and it looks very elegant. I'm SO hooked on dyeing silk and silk velvet that there are times when my studio looks like a mad scientist has been set loose!!!!

Jamn!
2007-09-30, 1:27pm
GROAN!! Why did I read your post before I went to the fabric shop?? lol
Thanks for the tip!!

Beadbug
2007-10-07, 1:43pm
Hey Dawn I would love to see a photo of the velvet ones if you have one. I may have to try some.

My kitchen lookes so much like a mad scientist lab latley it led my hubby to be more serious about me needing a sink in my studio. In the new house I will have a studio sink. He says he hates to come home to a craft blow up! I told him he knew before he married me that it would always look like that in my path.

Karen Hardy
2007-10-07, 2:19pm
Wow peeps!
I LOVE these pictures you're posting!
Since I love dyed silk ribbons, I had a crazy urge to
try out this, before I managed to slap myself back to
reality (what, ANOTHER hobby??? Oh no!!!).

I'll just have to enjoy the pictures you all post from afar :lol:.
I'd like to see some of you do some ribbons that fade in the
middle - like from orange on one side to yellow on the other
side - or blue on one side to green on the other.
That would be slick! You could even have it change color
in the center - blue/green/blue.

Keep posting pics!!!!

Jamn!
2007-10-07, 3:47pm
Don't worry I can bring some to the next meeting! :lol::-\"

I will try to post a pic later.

kabsconcepts
2007-10-10, 7:17am
HEEEELLLPPPP!!!

I ordered up all the goodies from Dharma to make some cords. I am using the 1/2in premade silk ribbon (I dont have a serger), the Jaquard Dyes. I used the dye straight to get bolder colors. I dyed each ribbon, squeeged out the dye, and let the ribbons dry over night. (Like the bottle says)

Then here is where I am running into trouble. I have tried a few different things so sorry if I get confusing...

First - I tried putting dried ribbons in a plastic bag and microwaving them for 2 mins. Then rinse them in icy water... then hot ironing them. I rinsed in the icy water until the water was clear (at least I thought) but there was dye all over my ironing board so I rinsed again, iron again... same. Rinsed again, iron again... same. Rinsed again, iron... I think it is set now.

Second attempt - rinsed ribbons and put in plastic bag dry, microwave two mins, rinsed in icy water, hot iron... dye all over iron board. Okay, now I add soap to the icy water and rinse until water in clear and bubble of soap are gone... iron... same... rinse, iron... same... rinse iron... I think it is set.

Third attempt - skip the microwave... rinsed dried ribbons in soapy icy water until clear and no bubbles, hot iron... dye everywhere, fingers orange... so I kept rinsing and ironing, rinsing ironing until there was no dye on the ironing board when I ironed it.

Is all the rinsing ironing rinsing ironing normal? Did I miss something? Am I not rinsing long enough? HELPPPPP!!! Spending 15-20 mins on one ribbon is not working for me. But if you say I need to be more patient and 20mins a ribbon is normal, then that is what I'll do.

aimee
2007-10-10, 7:41am
I'm not using that same brand of dye but I microwave mine before they dry, then rinse straight from the mircowave, and then let dry. And I dry mine in the dryer so they dry faster. I iron all of mine and haven't had any bleeding of the color.

Beadbug
2007-10-10, 7:53am
The idea is to steam set the dye if they are dry no steam will happen. You need to put the strings into the bag after dying before drying. I have not used this type of dye so I have no idea of how much will rince out. I use hot water, the extra dye will wash away much quicker.

Here is what I do.

dye 2-3 ribbons at a time
microwave for 30 seconds to one minuet
dry by hanging up on rod
rinse till water runs clean, in warm to hot water
dry by hanging up on rod
iron

kabsconcepts
2007-10-10, 8:03am
Alrighty Tracy and Aimee. I'll see how that goes.

I'll wet the ribbon (since I have 25 already dyed and dried, next time it is dye to microwave)... microwave... let dry... hot water rinse... let dry... then iron

THANK YOU!!

kabsconcepts
2007-10-10, 8:57am
Okay... I got all the ribbons wet (hot water), took them by color 2-3 at a time and microwaved them for 1min in an air tight container. They were pretty close to dry when the came out, but I hung them anyway and let them air dry for about 30mins. I took 3 of them (all the same color) and plundged them is scolding hot water and rinsed them until the water was clear. I rinsed them for about 10 mins with really hot water (I feel like I am wasting lots of water). I set my iron to the hottest setting and steam pressed the damp rinsed ribbons. I know you said to let them dry but I am impatient. Just to see if they set, I took the dried, rinse, ironed, dried ribbons and put them in hot water again. DYE GALORE!!

I am thinking I need to call Dharma and see if I can return this dye. What do you think? I don't have a Hobby Lobby, but I have a JoAnn fabrics. Would they have the brand dye you are using?

Emily
2007-10-10, 9:12am
Maybe somebody at Dharma will have a suggestion on how to set the dye.

Someone who was talking about this earlier said she was using the Procion, which Dharma carries, so if you return the Jacquard you might be able to get the other dye from them.

I wish I had a practical suggestion, but when I've played with fabric dyeing, I had the same trouble with the dye not being colorfast.

You could try the stove-top steaming method, I guess. It's described on the Dharma website. I couldn't say if it would be any improvement over the microwaving, though.

kabsconcepts
2007-10-10, 10:09am
Okay, I talked to dharma. The kind of dyes I got, the Jacquard Silk Colors (Green Label) dye that I got needs to be set with a "stovetop silk steamer". She said something about steaming without having it come in contact with water. All a little too much for me and way over my head. So, she said what I really need (especially for this process) is ACID DYES. So I am gonna be waiting another week for the correct dyes. She was super helpful. Next time around I will be boiling in white vinegar. My stars it is so much more complicated then I thought!!

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP ON HERE!!

aimee
2007-10-10, 10:11am
It must be something with the dye because when I rinse mine, hardly any color comes out and I only have to rinse them for not even a minute.

aimee
2007-10-10, 10:12am
Glad they were able to help you out.

kabsconcepts
2007-10-10, 10:14am
Yeah it is totally the wrong dye. It has to be the acid dye, unless you have a steamer thingy.

DebAnderson
2007-10-11, 11:21am
Tracy,
Thanks for the tut....your ribbons are spectacular. I got rid of my serger years ago and am NOT going to start another craft project. Laugh...yeah right.

Was reading Aimee's question many posts back about adding texture to the silk using the broom handle technique. Got me to thinking...which is always a dangerous thing...

Could you serge the ribbon, then use the broom handle technique or something similiar to wrinkle the ribbon and then paint the dye on using a brush? Just wondering if it would give it an interesting look with the dye darker in some areas and lighter in others? It might not work... you would definitely have to use a light touch....and the dye may just soak thru the fabric. Like I said....just thinking...but NOT gonna try it. No New Projects !!! LAUGH

Emily
2007-10-11, 12:50pm
The homemade version of the stovetop steaming didn't sound too bad, if you weren't finicky about some color bleeding. Of course I haven't actually tried it. It sounds like you roll your fabric up in paper and put it in a pot with a vegetable steamer, and a dishtowel under the lid to catch any steam that condenses on the bottom of the lid. There are actual steamers that you can buy -- starting with one that sits on your stove, I think, and then going to self-contained units -- but I'm sure the Dharma site has directions for doing a small quantity in a regular pot. I think they even suggest a way to do it if you don't have a vegetable steamer. You might want to take a look, since you have all those ribbons that are already dyed.

Is it the Procion that you're getting? And are you going to do the microwave setting once you get it?

Jamn!
2007-10-11, 1:59pm
Could you use your vegetable steamer?

I am having a little problem too and should let you know before you go and dye them again!
I used some Dylon violet dye and it kept bleeding. I set it with salt rinsed washed and washed and then set it with vinegar and it is still bleeding. I have washed all of them at least twice and still bleeding.
I am laying them on paper towels for a little bit to see if they have stopped bleeding but NOPE still magenta is coming off.

I also used the acid dyes from Dharma and the cotton does not take the dye the same. The cotton threads were really UGLY!! They pretty much stayed white. A coupkle of the colors were OK. I think a light mix of the olive and light mix of the dark gray were ok.

I am thinking of trying a couple of the fiber reactive dyes. Silk takes the dye differently than the cotton so have to be careful.
I spoke to Earnest today from Dharma and he said through trial and error you can use the fiber reactive dyes with cotton mixed with silk. Oranges, reds and yellow colors stay the closest. I would think that would mean a red red or and orange red but not one with blue in it etc... I guess chartreus on cotton is forest green on silk. Uh oh!

Dharma also has silk thread which I am going to try! Sheesh!!

Deborah
2007-10-11, 3:03pm
For those of you having problems with setting the colors, try soaking the dyed ribbons in vinegar and water. About 1/4 cup to a gallon of water will do the trick. Soak the ribbons for about 15-30 minutes and then rinse.

Beadbug
2007-10-12, 4:19am
These are the dyes I am using. Tumble Dye from S.E.I here is the link http://www.shopsei.com I like these best they come in a spray bottle and it's easy to get a nice effect. Often I use these without even getting my ribbon wet to get nice deep colors. I have also used Rit, Dylon, Coffee, Tea and Koolaid.... if it will turn my countertop colors I have tried it and have some nice results.All the work in these are in the dye process sewing them goes quite quickly.

With the tumble dye I have very little excess dye to rinse out. Some colors I have to rinse a bit more and others not at all. The venegar is a great answer to bleeding colors and should make quite a diffrence with the silk. I believe for cotton you should use salt instead of Vinegar.

I don't know anything about the dyes that Dharma sells but it sounds like if you are buying from her give her a call and ask what will work best for the fabric you are using. She has been great about answering everyones questions.

Cotton is totaly diffrent than silk. Remember silk is worm made and cotton is plant made. This will cause a totaly diffrent reaction to every dye.

I think the broom stick idea is a great one and you could get some very interesting affects. Someone should try it. After dying about 300 ribbons, my husband is tired of coming home from work and having ribbons hanging all over the kitchen. He says it looks like a mad science explosion. I am done dying for a while.

I did the show in Grand Rapids last weekend and did very well for the first time out. I sold winter white ones for 12 for $24. The dyed ones I sold for $5 bucks each or 6 for $25

Emily
2007-10-12, 10:38am
Here are the steaming directions from the Dharma Trading website. I haven't tried this. If anybody tries, let us know how it goes.

Stovetop steaming (http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/208832-AA.shtml)

WeeMary
2007-10-13, 1:43pm
To texture the colour, try sprinkling with big salt crystals and letting it dry. It gives lovely mottled effects. By the way, I'm using silk paint I had already, the stuff that you dry then iron to set, not sure it would work with some of the other dyes?

Megan
2007-10-14, 10:02am
I finally got the silk and dye.. Yay!! My question is, how to you finish the ends? Do people just tie them off or is there a way to end cap them and put a clasp on the end?

zen-mom
2007-10-14, 10:10am
Okay, you all talked me into it... I tried to resist, I really did.

Can't wait to get my stuff... will post some pics when I get some done.

Meganbushfl: I was wondering the same thing. I thought maybe using some "fray check" would do the trick. Probably after the dying process is done, since the "fray check" would probably act as a resist.

WeeMary
2007-10-14, 10:10am
I finally got the silk and dye.. Yay!! My question is, how to you finish the ends? Do people just tie them off or is there a way to end cap them and put a clasp on the end?

Look for suede or thong end crimps.

Beadbug
2007-10-14, 10:11am
There are tons of ways to finish your silk strings here are a few.

I find having the ends tapered and using a dental threader helps to thread them into large holed beads and crimp ends.

zen-mom
2007-10-14, 10:14am
Oooo, cool! Thanks for posting the pic, those are great ideas.

I should have mentioned that I was thinking of using the "fray check" just to keep the ends from fraying and then I was going to tie them off.

I like the idea of a more professional finish like what you've posted though. Much nicer than I what I was thinking of doing :)

WeeMary
2007-10-14, 10:24am
Yes, definitely after dyeing for Fraycheck.

zen-mom
2007-10-14, 10:30am
Thanks! I figured as much...
Oh, I'm so glad I paid a little extra for faster shipping! Thanks you guys. :)

Hee hee, just what I needed, another hobby!

Dawn
2007-10-14, 11:18am
I'm really lucky, I have a space that's 18x22 with a double sink, wood floors, cabinets, a place to sew, a couch to watch tv, my torch setup, and a place for what can only be described as "other." I'll do more velvet cords when it's a little closer to Christmas (wouldn't want to do them too far in advance, I really love that Oh s***, I only have a week feeling). I'll post them then.
Hey Dawn I would love to see a photo of the velvet ones if you have one. I may have to try some.

My kitchen lookes so much like a mad scientist lab latley it led my hubby to be more serious about me needing a sink in my studio. In the new house I will have a studio sink. He says he hates to come home to a craft blow up! I told him he knew before he married me that it would always look like that in my path.

Jamn!
2007-10-15, 12:38am
Tracy
Love the way you finished the ends! I especially love that last one!! Very nice!

Beadbug
2007-10-15, 6:35am
Thanks I actualy have more finishes, I made up a cute board to show all the finish ideas for the show in Grand Rapids.

If you are looking for a great way to display the ribbons I used a silver pant hanger that would hold 4 pair. Cover a large dowel with black strechy velvet from Walmart super cheap, then screwed black rubber coated hooks through the fabric and into the wood. Then just stick the poll into an umbrella stand covered with the velvet. It looked very nice and didn't take up any table room this way. This also made it impossible for them to be walked off with since I looped them onto the hanger. I guess I should take a photo of this it would make more sense. If you do this I would suggest taking the rubber section off the hanger it would have made the ribbons slide on and off easier.

Megan
2007-10-15, 3:05pm
For those of you that purchased from Dharma.. Did any of you buy the Bias Cut ribbon or did you purchase the Woven silk ribbon? I like the price and size much better on the bias cut ribbon but it says about fraying.. Are the edges not finished at all?

I did my first dying of my own handmade ribbons but I think after all is said and done, it would be cheaper to just purchase from Dharma.. And I am not too keen on the only silk that Joann Fabrics carried and its the only fabric store in our area now that John Hancock has closed down.

Beadbug
2007-10-15, 3:32pm
I have seen the ribbon you are talking about and the fabric is sewn into a tube and then cut so that it is one long piece sometimes with seams. I don't think that they would take much wear and tear if your bead where strung onto them and let to move but if you knotted them into place it might be ok. They wouldn't be as sturdy as the finished edge or the woven edge. If you want a heavier look try of putting several of the thinner woven edged ones together for one necklace.

Jackie
2007-10-15, 4:31pm
So, I'd like to hear from people who purchased the woven silk ribbon - is it heavy enough? are you happy with the results? how does it compare to the hand made ribbon with the rolled edge? I kind of like the idea of not having the rolled edge but if the ribbon is not heavy enough and will wear to easily then it is not worth it. I don't want to get a serger if I can help it. I was an avid sewer until I started making beads. Also Tracy can you explain how you do the adustable size with 2 beads? I'm not understanding it! Would love to see a picture of the display.

Beadbug
2007-10-16, 9:19am
To make the adjustible necklace thread the ribbon through two beads with one end going to the left of the set and one end going in through to the right of the beads, Simply tye knots in the end of each ribbon and slide the beads to the size you would like. The beads need to have a hole large enough to slide but not so large that they are sloppy.

Jackie
2007-10-16, 9:59am
Thanks Tracy - so simple don't know why it didn't make sense to me!

OK - let's hear from someone who has used the pre-made silk ribbon (not cut bias - the other one). I saw pictures but no comment on whether you felt they were heavy and sturdy enough.

Thanks,
Jackie

Jamn!
2007-10-16, 10:49am
So, I'd like to hear from people who purchased the woven silk ribbon - is it heavy enough? are you happy with the results? how does it compare to the hand made ribbon with the rolled edge? I kind of like the idea of not having the rolled edge but if the ribbon is not heavy enough and will wear to easily then it is not worth it. I don't want to get a serger if I can help it. I was an avid sewer until I started making beads. Also Tracy can you explain how you do the adustable size with 2 beads? I'm not understanding it! Would love to see a picture of the display.
I am not happy with the ribbon I bought maybe someone else has a different feeling but to me it was too thin without the edges on it.
What kind of silk did you want to dye? Maybe you can find a roll of ribbon somewhere else.

zen-mom
2007-10-16, 11:13am
I am not happy with the ribbon I bought maybe someone else has a different feeling but to me it was too thin without the edges on it.

Uh Oh... :(
I wonder if I can do an overlock stitch down the edges?? Poop.
Haven't gotten my order yet, I might wind up exchanging it for something else.

Jackie
2007-10-16, 4:37pm
Jamn - that's exactly what i wanted to know. So I won't waste my money on the ribbon. Guess I'm going to look for a used serger!

Jackie
2007-10-16, 5:14pm
Hey Tracy - hope you are still reading this. What model White serger do you have? Does the Speedylock have enough flexibility or is the Superlock better?

Jamn!
2007-10-16, 10:52pm
I think you can pick sergers up on Ebay pretty cheap!
The ribbon fabric itself would be fine if it had the rolled edge on it but that would just be silly. lol ](*,)

Beadbug
2007-10-17, 4:08am
I have been out of the sewing world for the past 5 years. I know that sergers can be wonderful or just a piece of junk you want to throw out the window. I have a Husquvarna serger that is about 15 years old. The older ones are much better built than some of the new ones. Right now there is a Husquvarna Hobylock for sale and it is bidding at around 30.00. This has the basics for a rolled edge and will be all you need.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VIKING-HUSQVARNA-HUSKYLOCK-SERGER-MODEL-431_W0QQitemZ130162288762QQihZ003QQcategoryZ28167Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I would purchase a White, Viking or Babylock brand. These will normaly be good running. If you can get a used one from your local Viking Husquvarna dealer they will give you classes on how to thread and run them for free normaly.

Here is another link but this is way more machine than you will need.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Husqvarna-Viking-Huskylock-910-Serger_W0QQitemZ260172029812QQihZ016QQcategoryZ281 67QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Megan
2007-10-17, 7:08am
Does anyone know of a good place online to purchase the silk fabric from? Unless I drive 45 minutes out of the area, the only place I have is Joann Fabrics and the sick I got from them I really am not happy with.. Also, what type of silk should I be buying, like is there a name to the silk.

My first attempt at dying didn't turn out so hot.. :-(

Jamn!
2007-10-17, 8:23am
I like dharma's silk! I bought 10 or 12 mm of a few of them and then tested to see which ones I liked. :)
http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1665272-AA.shtml?lnav=fabric_silk.html

Beadbug
2007-10-17, 3:27pm
If you call Darma she may send you some samples. I know the silk I ended up liking the best was a bit heavier than the stuff I started out with. I think it's called silk shantung?

Purity
2007-10-18, 5:56pm
Tracy, Do you mind if I ask a question? Over here in Australia, the Shantung Silk is actually called Dupion Silk, and we have to buy it from Bridal Stores. Is it just plain white silk that you get to dye your silk strings?

Emily
2007-10-18, 7:18pm
Silk shantung (which I think is similar to silk dupioni, or maybe the same thing) has a texture. There's a slub that runs through it randomly, so I don't think it would be what you'd want for ribbons. You'd have blobs here and there. They're nice on a larger piece of fabric, but would be weird on a ribbon, and would be messy on an edge.

I've gotten some silk habotai scarves from Dharma, and they were thinner than I think you'd want for ribbons. I think the thickest I've had were 10mm. Dharma has 16mm habotai, so you might want to get a sample swatch to see if that's heavy enough for you. You might also want to try the crepe and/or the crepe de chine. Somewhere on the website it says you can order sample swatches -- like 4x4" pieces for 25 cents each, or something like that.

aimee
2007-10-18, 9:18pm
I use the dupioni silk for mine and I like the texture. Gives them a earthy feel.

Purity
2007-10-18, 10:34pm
well for me to get some thing from dharma trading, it will cost be about 40 dollars postage so im trying to get stuff in Australia. Aimee, did you just use white silk?

JulieV
2007-10-19, 3:14am
I have absolutely no desire to dye and sew my own. Where can I buy them? Tracy, do you sell your strings?

What chrisdd said!!!
I have no time, no desire, no patience!
How about someone putting a whack of them in the garage sale??:wink:

I'm pmming ya, Tracy....

Beadbug
2007-10-19, 4:53am
Purty, Yes I believe it may be the same thing. It is a bit thicker than you may think it should be but it holds up real nice.

The silk I have does have some small slugs and thicker strings in them and it gives them a very interesting look when you dye them. I will try to take a close up photo. The slubs end up running across the ribbons when you cut them. They arn't big enough to change the serged edge.

Jamn!
2007-10-19, 5:13am
I am not making the bright colors that Tracy is but more muted earth tones. So if you wouldl like some more muted colors I will sell some of them. If you want a picture pm me or I can try to get a picture in here today.

I have lavender and purple shades, soft teal green, and soft mint green , browns, ecru and other blues colored ribbons plus others.

aimee
2007-10-19, 8:34am
Purity, yes I use the white.

Teri.p
2007-11-06, 3:01am
I realize I'm coming late to this party, but I know a little about dyes from my yarn-dyeing days.

Wool, silk, alpaca, cashmere, angora etc..... all are animal fibers. Acid dyes work best with these. By acid, I mean vinegar or citric acid. Even Kool-Aid or Easter egg dyes will work just fine with these fibers. Acrylic, polyester and nylon fall into the acid-dye category as well.

Cotton, hemp, flax and other plant-based fibers need a different type of dye.

Rit or other general-purpose dyes are made by combining both sorts of dye in order to cover all possibilities. So if you use Rit to dye a cotton shirt that has wool patches, it'll work just fine.

If anyone is interested, I can post links to loads of dyeing tutorials. They focus on yarn or unspun fibers, but the process to dye silk strings would be the same.

Teri P

Beadbug
2007-11-06, 9:13am
Thanks for the help. I know nothing about dye but haven't had much of a problem. Then again I didn't expect my ribbons to come out an exact color and was happy with my results. If you have links that would help please feel free to post them here they will be welcomed.

Teri.p
2007-11-06, 11:00am
Here's a fun tutorial on dyeing wool with Kool-Aid (http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall02/FEATdyedwool.html). Doesn't have to be KA brand; any of the unsweetened packaged drink mixes will work. When reading these instructions, just substitute 'silk' for wool/yarn and you're good to go. Oh - one other thing... taking care with temperature isn't as crucial with silk. When dyeing wool one has to be careful not to agitate the yarn or shock it with sudden temperature changes as these can cause the wool to felt.

Along the same lines, here are instructions for dyeing with Easter egg dyes (http://www.woolfestival.com/articles/eggdye.htm).

More on using KoolAid or Easter egg dyes (http://www.woolworks.org/dyeing.html).

Wilton icing color works as well. (http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring07/FEATdyeyourown.html)

One major advantage of using these food dyes is that you can use your everyday pots and pans and spoons. They may turn colors, but will be safe to use again in your kitchen. If you choose to use the professional acid dyes, it's highly recommended to use dedicated cookware.

Like I said before, don't let the acid thing worry you. We're not talking Etch Bath, just vinegar or citric acid.

Now I'm itching to play with colors and the dyepot again. I placed an order with Dharma last night, and have already gotten the message that it's on the way. I ordered silk fabric, a reel of the woven-edge ribbon, and a reel of the bias-cut ribbon, as well as some samples of several of the silk fabrics. Can't wait!

Teri P

Teri.p
2007-11-06, 11:12am
Whoops, got kind of excited and forgot the other half.

Dharma's instructions for using acid dyes.
(http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/208783-AA.shtml)

Oven-dyeing, with pictures (http://www.reenieart.com/painttutorial.htm). ETA: Link no longer active.

For those of you interested in a more in-depth article, check this out (http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer03/FEATaciddye.html).

Or how about going organic? .

And yay Wikipedia! Acid dyes on Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_dye)

Ahem. I suppose that's enough to start with, eh?

have fun!! :cool: I know I will

Teri P

Beadbug
2007-11-07, 5:07am
WOW, thanks for all the great information Teri.

Megan
2007-11-12, 5:21pm
Well I am finally going to order from Dharma the correct dyes.. I found their acid dyes but they come in a powder. I looked at the instructions and I am not sure if these are the right ones.. I was really hoping to do multicolored ones and using the microwave method but I can't seem to figure out which dyes to get for sure and if I do purchase the acid dyes, what is the concentration you are using?

As you can tell, I am perplexed.. I wasted a whole bunch of silk using the wrong dyes and hoping I can get it right this time.. :-)

Beadbug
2007-11-13, 5:09am
I can't help you with dyes from Dharma since I haven't used them. There are pleanty of others in this thread that have so I hope they will chime in with help for you.

Glasstastic Treasures
2007-11-13, 11:14am
Tracy, do you have any extra died ribbons to sell? I have not serger or time, but I'd love to try some!!

Wendyki
2007-11-13, 1:09pm
Hey I want to possibly dye some wool for use in felting how would I do that?

Beadbug
2007-11-13, 1:38pm
Hey Jamie, I have tons of extra ribbons from a show I did. I have them in all the color ranges not just the bright colors that someone said was all I have! I also have some white ones. What colors are you looking for.

If I were going to dye wool I would look into some of the links Terri P posted. I have dyed wool with everything from rit to Koolaid so it depends on the look you want.

Glasstastic Treasures
2007-11-13, 3:02pm
purple greens and blues.\\:D/

Glasstastic Treasures
2007-11-13, 5:06pm
I pm'd you tracy!!

Beadbug
2007-11-14, 5:50am
Got it!

SELSEY
2007-12-05, 11:55am
I bought a bunch of ribbons but haven't received them yet. Can anyone tell me what size crimp end does the 1/2" ribbon fit into? I want to buy some ends and don't know what size ID to get. :-k

Thanks!!!

Bluejeangirlnc
2007-12-05, 3:10pm
Any chance someone could maybe link me to some specific instructions on how you're finishing these with crimps or toggles? I've seen several pictures but I'd like to see the specifics if possible?

Thanks
~Wendy

Beadbug
2007-12-06, 5:06am
I don't believe that there is a link I just posted photos showing what I had done. You just use the tail left from serging to slide up a bead as far as possible using a bit of glue at that point to secure it. If you are using a crimp I would do the same just crimp over a bit of glue.

The size hole of beads or crimps used will depend on how wide your ribbons are and how thick. You will have to get them and just try the beads and crimps. Sorry I can't be more helpful but everyone is making them out of diffrent fabrics and it will make a diffrence on how thick they are.

Jamn!
2007-12-06, 7:05am
I think I have seen a tutorial on how to crimp the ends of jewlery somewhere let me look and see if I can find it.

Here is one:
http://www.manabeads.com/productcart/pc/viewcontent.asp?idpage=8

If you click on the pictures in this tutorial they will expand so you can see what they are doing pretty well! It uses wire but you get the idea anyway. :)
Found another one not as good with pictures but it has a ton of other techniques

http://www.wigjig.com/jewelry-tools/WJU/techniques/alpha.htm

This isn't the one I was thinking of so I will look a little bit more bit.

Jane P
2007-12-06, 1:53pm
I'm having trouble locating the correct type of silk fabric. I have been to all the fabric shops in town and no one has anything remotely suitable. Does anyone know where I can locate the correct type of silk on line?
Thanks.

Anzie
2007-12-07, 5:52am
Good morning all. I've fallen in love with the silk ribbon thing and was reading about you woe's on making your ribbons color fast. This is an old trick my Grandma uses all the time. After you have washed your dyed ribbons to get all the excess out, soak your creations in a solution of white vinegar and cold water over night. It's one part vinegar to three parts cold water. It's called "pickling". It will set your dye. If you find that you still have some bleeding of the color soak again over night. I do it all the time when I get deep colored towels and face cloths. The darn things always run when you wash them!
I hope this helps.:grin:

Mary-Anne

tgslampwork
2007-12-07, 9:00pm
Hmmm, I'll keep buying them. Add me to the don't need another hobby list :)

This might help those who are looking for more details on finishing.

http://www.nightingalegallery.com/silk_cords_ribbons.htm

http://riverstonebead.com/movie6.htm

hummingbird3172
2007-12-20, 11:32am
Whew! What a fascinating thread...I just read all five pages, but I can't thank you enough, Tracy, for posting this tutorial.

I bought one of these :

http://www.artbeads.com/silk-ribbon-multi-color.html

I liked it although it was a little lighter weight than what I had wanted, but kind of expensive for me personally to buy a bunch of them.

My Mom has a serger that she has owned for at least 15 years and used ONCE so she has already said I can borrow it. If I can figure out how to get the darn thing threaded I will be on my way.

This is what I am planning to finish the ends with :

http://www.artbeads.com/ss-endcap02.html

(I've bought some similar ones on ebay, but I've missplaced them :( )

Tracy, I really loved the ways you had yours finished....especially the really fancy one with the bead and the ring.

I also went ahead and ordered the Tumble Dyes. I thought the prices were reasonable and the shipping was very reasonable. I got about 6 to start out.
http://www.shopsei.com/main.cfm?heading=0&categoryoid=9

Tracy has had the best luck with these so I am not even going to mess with anything else. :)

I found silk shantung here:

http://www.fabric.com/apparel-fashion-fabric-silk-fabric-silk-shantung-silk-shantung-fabric-ivory.aspx

We don't have a lot of fabric stores locally here and the only one we have, Joann's, doesn't always carry silk so I am going to have to purchase online.

Dharma's seems to have the best prices so I'll probably end up buying their dupioni and I think I want the silk velvet.

Another thing about the velvet is that it can be embossed with an iron and a rubber stamp....just think of the textural possiblilities!

Anyway, I've been lurking this thread for about a week, admiring all the pretty ribbons you've all made. Well done!

Beadbug
2007-12-21, 5:02am
I am glad you have enjoyed the thread and thanks for all the great links.

If you end up needing any serger help just let me know. I tought serger classes for years.

No one has posted any velvet strings yet so once you get these done please let us see them.

hummingbird3172
2007-12-21, 12:03pm
Thanks Tracy, I was low on funds and just bought the silk for now...but Dharma's does have the silk velvet for about $10/yd.

If I can get the dyeing right then I will do the silk velvet and rubber stamp thing.......it just looks like too much fun!

I probably will need serger help.....I haven't touched one since I was in high school....over 15 years ago!

NorLigh
2008-02-13, 8:01pm
I have made some ribbons!

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i64/sirens25/ribbons.jpg

These are made from Kool-aid (the generic brand) coffee, and Tazo teas!

In Kool-aid I used:
grape (nice purple)
cherry (very bright red- didn't make enough of these because I thought they looked just like tropical fruit but it is brighter)
tropical fruit (kinda salmon color- I made too many of these)
blue raspberry (Very bright)
lemon-lime (LOVE this- like chartreuse *sp*)
mix of grape and cherry (made a lovely root-beer slightly brick redish color)
mix of coffee and lemon-lime (was looking for earthy got light green)

In Tazo Teas
Black Chai (OMG I love this light brown)
Passion (light rose pinkish purple)

Coffee made the lightest brown- like a light tan

I felt like a made scientist. Now I am out of ribbon but have a spool of cord yet to play with- time to hit the kool-aid isle! ;) I can't wait until the easter egg colors come out. I'm stocking up. I found that making the kool-aid with hot water made for less rinsing (it set the color better) but when I used cool water it gave a nice mottled effect (light and dark together in one color.)

Then- as I said in another thread- I used my flat iron (for my hair) to VERY quickly iron them.

I had the kool-aid and tea in the cabinet so my dye cost practically nothing. The coffee was left over from the morning. LOL

These are dainty but they will work well with my goddess beads. I'm so happy- thanks for sharing this information!

Megan
2008-02-13, 9:01pm
Very Cool.. The koolaid looks like it works well.. And sooooo much cheaper...

zen-mom
2008-02-13, 9:23pm

Those are great~ I can't believe you used Kool-Aid! :koolaid:

midniteburner
2008-02-13, 11:38pm
Very pretty!!!! What kind or ribbon did you use?

Sara

NorLigh
2008-02-14, 8:15am
Hi,

I used the 1/2 silk ribbon from Dharmas. The ribbons you see there are what I got from one full spool of ribbon, which I believe is 27.5 yards. I searched the web last night looking for prices of ribbon, just to see- and I have to tell you that Dharma was almost a full 50% less than anything else I could find. I'm readu to order more! I can't wait to try more colors! Since I only used the generic Kool-aid (maybe it is called Mix-aid?) and one Welch's (the blue) I know there are a lot more color choices in the actual Kool-aid section.

Funny story- my husband thought I was making dinner when I was doing the ribbons. LOL!

sculptorgirl
2008-02-14, 10:47am

Jennifer, these are really came out beautifully! I LOVE the complex brown from the Tazo Black Chai! (Do they smell good, too? lol!)

I think I'm going to have to try dyeing the silk another time -- this time with drink products! :grin:

(How funny about your husband and the dinner thing -- must have smelled good!)

NorLigh
2008-02-14, 11:05am
Thanks! Yes he had said he was going out last evening so I was not planning on making dinner. Then he heard me putzing with the microwave, etc.

I want to try other natural stuff that will dye- like beet juice and strawberries. I'll bet the frozen strawberries in juice after thawed would work well.

Beadbug
2008-02-16, 8:39pm
Thoes are beautiful such strong clean looking colors!

You could also put the kool-aid in spray bottles, wet the ribbons and get a nice uneven dyed look and try letting them dry and then dip in a second color.

Now you see why my hubby called the kitchen a mad science lab.

We need to send out a big thanks to Dharma she is just a wealth of infomation and great products!

heidisever
2008-02-23, 7:01pm
Great flowers Bead_Bug!!!!

Beadbug
2008-02-23, 7:24pm
Thanks Heidi

Momliz
2008-02-25, 4:44am
Tracy.. your silk dyed strands have inspired me !! What size strands do you use ? I am so new to this that the sizes make me dizzy. How do you finish the ends for closure? These would be so wonderful for my girl scouts to make a mothers day project with beads i have for them. I saw the paint on the site also.. thanks so much, liz

Melanie
2008-02-25, 8:56am
i've just read this whole thread and can't wait to try this. my mom is a great seamstress so i've emailed her about whether or not she has a serger... if not i may try the ribbons, and i am definitely into the Kool Aid, Coffee and tea staining... how neat! thanks for the inspiration... i've been lacking lately! :)

melanie

Beadbug
2008-02-26, 12:12pm
Liz, When I sew the ribbons I make them 1/2 inch wide x36 inches long but you could make them any width or length you like. I make them out of fabric yardage not out of premade ribbons.

Melanie I bet your mom does have a serger if she sews a lot.

debkauz
2008-02-26, 1:41pm
Try onion skins! They make a really nice color.

rusticstudio
2008-02-26, 7:25pm

Those came out great!!

Beadbug
2008-02-26, 8:15pm
Hey I am going to try the onion skins thanks Deb.

Patty thoes are wonderful colors are you getting them with koolaid and coffee?

rusticstudio
2008-02-28, 6:10pm
Oh, those are NorLighs ribbons. I just quoted her post: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1650701&postcount=139

rusticstudio
2008-02-28, 6:18pm
I don't have access to a serger and I have some silk dupioni. Any alternative edging suggestions?

Beadbug
2008-02-29, 9:57pm
I don't have any other good way to finish the edges. Some cut them on the bias and then just don't finish them at all but it doesn't seem like they would last long.

I remember reading that koolaid info now...

meadowesky
2008-03-03, 8:09pm
here's some of mine. I got silk Dupoini (or whatever it is called) :lol:

Calypso
2008-03-06, 7:01am
¡Beautiful silk ribbon! pretty colors.

Ana María

here's some of mine. I got silk Dupoini (or whatever it is called) :lol:

Beadbug
2008-03-07, 4:37am
Very nice. Are you using cotton thread on the edges?

meadowesky
2008-03-07, 1:02pm
I couldn't get the edges to look good after dying them already stitched so I have been dying before I stitch and then serging. It gives me a bigger canvas to work on (which is super fun!!) and the edges work out better for me. Plus I can do a contrasting color for the edging which is nice (or a matching one- which is a pain and lots more thread $$)

Beadbug
2008-03-07, 8:54pm
Your edges didn't look good because they didn't turn out the same color or because the stitch looked messy?

Jami
2008-03-08, 9:16am
Wonderful silks everyone!
It is so fun to play like a mad scientist with the dye.
I've been playing with different silk types and finishing methods.
I like the look of serging before dyeing myself.
I'm still experimenting on whether to cut selvige to selvige or the other way.

http://jamihamilton.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/02/27/dyeing4.jpg

Beadbug
2008-03-10, 4:09am
Jamn thoes velvet ones are just yummy! They can't possibly be as wide as they look in the photo??

Jami
2008-03-10, 7:49am
Tracy, there are about 1/2 an inch. They look wider I think cause of the angle of the shot.
I know it was probably a typo but I am not Jamn, but Jami, very close in spelling though! lol

meadowesky
2008-03-10, 7:31pm
Your edges didn't look good because they didn't turn out the same color or because the stitch looked messy?

they just looked messy. I give them a pretty rigorous washing after I die to get it all out.. maybe I am doing too much?
I have been using the procion mx dyes (been tie dying with that kind forever) and just got some lighter weight silk in which I think is working out better and has a nicer flow than the dupoini. The ones that I showed above were the dupoini

Beadbug
2008-03-11, 4:04am
Sorry about the spelling Jami, I hate it when people put an e in Tracy.

Brandie, there isn't any reason to be rigorus with them just a good rinse is more than enough. They are silk and it is a strong fiber but it sounds like you are pushing some of the fibers out of the rolled edge by being so rough. I don't think any item with a rolled hem would stand up to that kind of abuse. :)

redbutterfly
2008-03-11, 11:14am
Hello Bead_bug,

I am new to lampworking, but I am totally hooked! I discovered this site from a glass bead maker on YouTube. I am learning so much from everyone on this site! There are no glass making classes in my area, so I "surf the net" for information, plus ordering dvds is all I have for now. I love the ribbon tut btw, but I can't take my eyes off the flower pendant you have with the ribbon. I keep staring at it trying to figure out how you made that. Would you care to share how you did that with me...us? :) I Love them!!

Thank you all for the information!
Redbutterfly

Beadbug
2008-03-12, 12:59pm
I am so glad you have found us here at LE, here is a tut that is basicly how I do my flowers but instead of raking them I simply mash to make petals. If you are on a hot head these are possible but remember you have to work much harder at keeping everything hot so it doesn't fly appart.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285

IF-Designs
2008-03-13, 9:28pm
thanks for the tutorial! its good to have this on hand...ive always wondered and thought about making something like that but ust never got around to it! lol

LauraLou
2008-03-13, 11:31pm
I am glad you have enjoyed the thread and thanks for all the great links.

If you end up needing any serger help just let me know. I tought serger classes for years.

No one has posted any velvet strings yet so once you get these done please let us see them.

Tracy,
I decided to give this a whirl and ACK! My needle thread keeps breaking on me. I have a White Speedylock. Got it many, many years ago. I have re-threaded it, changed the needle. Re-set all the tensions to 0 and started from there. I can get it set so that it works on a cotton fabric, but when I change over to the silk, it will sew about 18" then the thread that's supposed to go through the needle breaks or gets messed up somehow. It's hard to explain in words, but it's like that thread isn't going through the needle, but another thread is. Here, a picture is worth a thousand words:
Any ideas?
Also, my Hobby Lobby didn't have Black, tan or some other colors I wanted to do, in the tumble dye. What other brands of dye have you tried. I'd rather try something I can buy locally, since this is a project for my mother and I to do together this weekend.
BTW, I hope your interview went well!
Thanks,
Laura

meadowesky
2008-03-14, 12:12am
you can use the dylon or the rit dye. They work just fine. I like to soak mine in soda ask first (tulip brand has a small pink box of it at hobby lobby) I like the fiber reactive dyes but those work fine too :)

Beadbug
2008-03-14, 4:39am
Larua, I think that the needle thread may be to loose and it is catching some how on the lower looper then it looks as if the thread is doing what it is now. It may be out of time. If you can't get it figured out just bring it to the meeting and I would be glad to take a look at it. This era of machies were out when I was doing sales and service so I am sure it is a machine that I have done before.

I don't bother dying black I just get black fabric, for tan I use coffee. None of the colors I am getting use any dye that has been purchased over the internet. It all comes from just around here. I know that the dyes Darma sells are beautiful but I just like seeing what comes out of the pot, the good, bad and UGLY lol.

LauraLou
2008-03-14, 7:34am
Black fabric, DUH moment here! That would be so much easier than dyeing it! I'll try tightening the needle tension and see how it goes. I just used the machine about a month or two ago, and everything worked fine, so I wouldn't think that the timing could be off, do you? I don't want to take it to the meeting, that's too much to lug around. I'd be embarassed bringing a sewing machine to a lampworking meeting, lol. Thanks for the help, I'll try it.

Soda ash.... Is there something else that I could use instead. My wallet doesn't want me to take another trip to Hobby Lobby, lol.

Thanks,
Laura

Juliac
2008-03-14, 7:49am
I love all the beautiful ribbons here-you guys are oozing w/ talent. What I really like to use, though is the rolled thin silk tubes. Is that the spool on Dharma?

redbutterfly
2008-03-15, 11:46am
Thanks bead_bug,

I visual really helps! I will have to practice...I have a fireworks torch, I hope I can do it. If I am successful I will post a picture.

Redbutterfly

BarbaraB
2008-03-15, 5:51pm
I have the dyes from Ribbonsmith (spelling may not be right) and have yet to try this. This thread just reminded to get it out.

Alternate dyes could be: rose hips, hibiscus, or onion skins. Onion skins give out a goldish to warm yellow.

KariFL
2008-03-16, 12:22pm
I saw a woman in the grocery store, taking the outer skins of the yellow onions and putting them in a bag and for the life of my I couldn't figure out what she was going to do with them... now I think I know lol.

Kari

Bev.B
2008-03-16, 3:12pm
I think I get a pretty good edges on fine silk with my overlocker. I went rummaging through my old pile of dyed fabric which has been stuffed in my cupboard since the early 90’s. The silk I found was 8m/m (weight or thickness) Habutai (plain woven Jap silk.) a little on the thin side maybe, but what was at hand.

More interesting I think is the way I finished all my scarves back then. I did a rolled edge on my overlocker.
A rolled edge is made with a short, narrow stitch. The raw edge rolls around the narrow stitch finger to the wrong side where it is hidden under the stitching. Your machine should be sewing correctly before your start. All machines differ and some have the adjustments built in, other machines require a change of foot or throat plate – check your manual. My threads of choice are:
The needle and the lower looper:
Ackermann Rasant sewing thread. This is a really good fine thread for normal sewing.
The upper looper:
Isafil – another Ackermann sewing thread - machine embroidery 100% viscose. This is available in a wide range of colours and also available in variegated thread. If your hemming is running correctly this is the only thread that you notice.

Adjustments
Set the lower knife knob to “1”
Slide overlocking width to the front.
Stitch length to 1.25
If anyone wants me to take pictures of where these are on my machine let me know. My machine is also close to 20 years old but the working parts should be similar.

Preparing the machine.
Calico sample needle 5, upper looper 5, lower looper 9.
Fine silk sample needle 6, upper looper 7, lower looper 8.
The secret is a tight lower looper which pulls the Isafil thread around the edge.

I hope this helps those who aren’t achieving the results they want.
Bev.B

LauraLou
2008-03-16, 11:01pm
I will try these adjustments tomorrow. I did get it working great then suddenly, for no reason, my thread started doing the same thing as above! I pretty much gave up on it for the last day or two. Thanks for the info!
Laura

I think I get a pretty good edges on fine silk with my overlocker. I went rummaging through my old pile of dyed fabric which has been stuffed in my cupboard since the early 90’s. The silk I found was 8m/m (weight or thickness) Habutai (plain woven Jap silk.) a little on the thin side maybe, but what was at hand.

More interesting I think is the way I finished all my scarves back then. I did a rolled edge on my overlocker.
A rolled edge is made with a short, narrow stitch. The raw edge rolls around the narrow stitch finger to the wrong side where it is hidden under the stitching. Your machine should be sewing correctly before your start. All machines differ and some have the adjustments built in, other machines require a change of foot or throat plate – check your manual. My threads of choice are:
The needle and the lower looper:
Ackermann Rasant sewing thread. This is a really good fine thread for normal sewing.
The upper looper:
Isafil – another Ackermann sewing thread - machine embroidery 100% viscose. This is available in a wide range of colours and also available in variegated thread. If your hemming is running correctly this is the only thread that you notice.

Adjustments
Set the lower knife knob to “1”
Slide overlocking width to the front.
Stitch length to 1.25
If anyone wants me to take pictures of where these are on my machine let me know. My machine is also close to 20 years old but the working parts should be similar.

Preparing the machine.
Calico sample needle 5, upper looper 5, lower looper 9.
Fine silk sample needle 6, upper looper 7, lower looper 8.
The secret is a tight lower looper which pulls the Isafil thread around the edge.

I hope this helps those who aren’t achieving the results they want.
Bev.B

Beadanna
2008-03-17, 11:12am
Denver Fabrics has 100% Shantung in Ecru for $9.00 per yd at the moment - http://www.denverfabrics.com/Cart/catalog_items.aspx?Query=shantung
If you didn't need it white and wanted to serge it yourself it looks like good value. No white on the site that I could find.
Beadanna

Beadanna
2008-03-17, 11:24am
The ecru shantung from Denver fabrics is 44" compared to fabric.com which is 56" wide
Beadanna

Purity
2008-03-19, 4:05am
Hey there Bev, I've been doing rolled edges on mine, and they come up great I reckon :)

Beadbug
2008-03-19, 6:46pm
I love the ecru fabric from denver fabrics! Thanks for all the wonderful help Bev!

hardy beads
2008-03-30, 3:46pm
Just want to say that I tried this and now I am hooked!! I went ahead and bought silk dupioni (hard to find) and cotton thread. I cut the silk into 1" widths and 44" long. I serged each side. Had some fun with the dyes as I worked. Am a little concerned about the dye running off so I soaked the silk strands in vinegar, then sprayed the color, put in a plastic baggie almost closed and popped in the microwave for about 1 minute. Let dry, ironed, then rinsed in vinegar AGAIN and hot water, popped in microwave AGAIN and then let dry. Last step - ironed them. I like them!! Wish I had a picture - do not have the knowledge how to get it from camera to computer (yet). I wish the silk was a bit lighter in weight, but it works. I think I will order my silk from Dharma's Trading the next time! I just wanted to share what I did and how excited I am!!! Sue

Beadbug
2008-04-05, 6:55pm
I am so glad you tried this Sue, If you like a lighter weight silk Dharma's is the place to get it. She has great service on the phone and will get you just what you want. I find as I wear the silk it softens up and feels much lighter than when you first wear them.

BTW did your kitchen look like a science experiment gone bad and smell like pickles :)??

Melanie
2008-04-20, 8:11am
okay, i am checking back in with this thread... no serger to be found amongst my family, so i ordered the dharma woven silk ribbon. it came friday and today i am going to dye some with the Tumble dyes from Hobby Lobby. i am so excited, since yesterday i sat ALL day long at a disaster of a "show"- advice from mel: don't pay $150 for a booth that is also at a free music festival. people go because it's free.... and there is beer. :-? ah well. i am feeling better today.

mel

Cindy Ritchie
2008-04-30, 4:14am
Melanie,
Just wanted to see how your ribbons came out! I got the ribbon from Dharma too, and think that it is too thin. Still waiting for the tumble dye in the mail. I have no serger so I am stuck trying it this way. Just curious how things came out for you. I also bought a roll of the silk "string"from Dharma, any one else try that one?

FosterFire
2008-12-28, 10:13pm
so did anybody try this with the silk tubes on a spool from Dharma?

Beadbug
2008-12-29, 7:44pm
I have seen some tubes dyed and they were beautiful, good luck.

FosterFire
2009-01-01, 12:45pm
ha ha! success! and on the first try! I used cord on a roll from Dharma and the Dharma people were wonderfully helpful. It was way easier that I thought it would be.

Some comments: wear a shirt you don't care about when you dye, consider thin rubber or latex gloves unless you like blue fingers (like mine, thank you), wood skewers are great for stirring or hanging up strings or lots of things and the Dharma squeeze bottles are rather thin plastic and not all that great. Everything else from Dharma was GREAT.

Beadbug
2009-01-01, 4:59pm
I am glad to hear you had success, they are fun and addictive.

midniteburner
2009-01-01, 9:51pm
I have got to get by bead-butt in gear!!!! I have watched you all play and I haven't done a thing.

Well, tomorrow it is off to Hobby Lobby!

yeah, yeah, yeah...the economics advisers all say "if you don't need it, don't buy it because we are in a depression"... Well, I could tell those fools a thing or two about depression! LOL!!!

So, I am going to be a dyeing fool...

Sara

Beadbug
2009-01-02, 6:08pm
Go to Hobby Lobby's site and print the 40% off coupon if there is one this week.

FosterFire
2009-01-03, 10:58pm
FYI - look for dyes labeled "primary" and you can mix anything from there. I bought fuchsia, red, turquoise and medium yellow. I also bought orange which I didn't need because as soon as fuchsia and yellow meet then you have orange. I got the dyes thru the mail from Dharma and it only took 2 days. (like magic!)

Cathy at the Beach
2009-01-07, 5:07pm
so there is no way you can use a sewing machine for this? :pout:
I thought maybe the rolled hem thingy for my Bernina would work. I sold my serger last year....figured I'd never use it again!:?:

kaedekat
2009-01-07, 9:32pm
I'm trying on my old bernina sewing machine with the 2mm rolled hemming
thingy (I think it is the old #166 and new #62) using dupioni, and I haven't
had much success making it "roll"- I can do it pretty easily with cotton
(like quilting weight material) but the dupioni just squishes and makes a mess
:(:(
there are 2 other feet out there (the current 61 and 68) that sound like
they might be worth a try if I can find them somewhere... has anyone had any
luck with this on a sewing machine or have any suggestions?
thanks so much, I've been drooling over the ribbons since this post was started!

Kaede

Beadbug
2009-01-08, 6:08pm
In my experience a rolled hem foot doesn't do well with much of anything but cotton. Good luck and if you do get it to work please make sure to post photos!

FosterFire
2009-01-09, 11:14am
just a thought but you might try the heavier weight charmeuse, rather than duponi. I made some of my own tubes which then had a much richer look to them. I also used velvet to make a caterpillar-ish tube. I don't have a serger. :( *sniffle*

Beadbug
2009-01-10, 4:13pm
I just love the idea of tubes and am sure that if you used a tube turner they wouldn't be to bad to make. The velvet sounds yummy.

luminous
2009-01-13, 8:55am
Sorry if this is dense, but what's a tube turner?
I've been using silk ribbons but it's just not heavy enough and I'd really like to try patterned fabric like recycle sari's, I think those as tubes would be great if they're not too difficult or laborious.

yellowbird
2009-01-13, 9:19am
I'm going to step in and guess that a tube turner is a hook ( wire ) on an extension type thing heavier wire ? maybe even retractable?

After reading this thread I really want to try to make my own ( flat). At first I thought you did the serge first and then cut it apart , I now realize that it is cut rolled and then sewn , which sounds hard to do? How hard is it to serge something that is only an inch wide ? Thanks for any answers I appreciated all the information in this thread.

Simbasmom
2009-01-13, 9:23am
The tubes are really pretty easy to make. I just posted how to do them in response to a request in the "Jewelry" forum. Doing a finished edge on your sewing machine is pretty difficult and doesn't give you the nice clean crisp look that a serger will. Even with a serger the best thread to use is "Lingerie" and not regular sewing cotton. If you are very proficient at sewing you can do a mock rolled hem with your maching by setting your zig zag stitch at narrow width and close together. The needle should penetrate the fabric on your left and swing off the fabric on the right. You have to hold the fabric fairly taught as you stitch. If your stitch length is set short enough it will encase and roll the raw edges in nicely. When you stitch the faster you are able to go the better your edge will be. Clear as mud HUH? LOL.
Colleen

FosterFire
2009-01-13, 9:25am
Ok, here goes. I use a brass tube I bought in the hobby section of a hardware store. It is slightly less than quarter inch in diameter. Then I got a 3/32 mandrel with ends well rounded, no sharpness.
1. Start with a piece of fabric about 1.25 inches wide by your chosen length. fold it in half, sew across top of one end then down the side, staying a scant eighth (just shy of an eighth of an inch) from the edge.

2. Now put brass tube up inside the tube. Use the rounded end of the mandrel to push a bit of the fabric down inside the tube.

3.Now gently start pushing the fabric OVER the mandrel. The mandrel is where all the fabric will be turned over. In fact, once you get started the tube is no longer necessary. I have seen people use a larger tube and then stuff the fabric down in the tube, but this is easier.

Beadbug
2009-01-13, 1:51pm
Thanks for the drawings Robin, I have tubes that are specially made to turn tubes they have several sizes of brass tubes with a wire that has a cork screw on the end. You put the tube over the brass tube run the wire up inside the tube catch the end of the fabric with the cork screw end and pull the fabric into and out the bottom of the tube.

Most of us have tubes that we use to blow shards make beads on and these will work well as long as the fabric can fit over and inside the tube. Great idea to just use a mandrel.

I haven't made any of these in a while, when I was making them I would serge up maybe 10 dozen at a time, so using white cotton thread was the best choice for me. The Lingerie thread doesn't dye so you have to know what colors you will need before you dye or dye your fabric first then serge. If you use a wide bite with the cotton thread the silk always rolls nice with no threads poking out.

Laurie L
2009-01-21, 12:12pm
I am looking for dyeable 1/16 rolled silk cord.....any ideas as to where I could find some of this stuff.

Lots of great information in this thread....thanks so much for sharing.

claybraes
2009-01-22, 1:08am
Hi, Are any of you selling these? I have read the first 4 pages and want to nip off to bed. Can someone pm me please, I really love them, thanks in advance Fiona ( I cannot sew!)

Beadbug
2009-01-24, 12:18pm
I do have some of these left to sell if anyone is interested. I am not going to make anymore but have great colors to choose from.

LoriBird
2009-01-24, 1:31pm
I dyed 1/2" silk ribbon from Dharma and I dyed some cord too. A spool of each. 32" long-ish...and ended up w/ about 50 finished ribbons. My hobby lobby didn't have any green in the tumble dry s.e.i. which I didn't realize at the time, so I ordered more stuff from Dharma and some more s.e.i. tumble dry from a website. Dang. This was way fun and easy!!I could just sit and stare at them...they're so purdy.
Thanks for all the tips and ideas everyone!! and the new addiction!

I don't sew and I don't know material. What would happen if you dyed the polyester ribbon that they sell in the store? they dye wouldn't stick or what?? I'm curious...and the thought didn't occur to me until now.

Beadbug
2009-01-24, 1:48pm
Polly doesn't take dye as nice as the silk.

yellowbird
2009-01-24, 5:38pm
can anyone recommend a serger ?

Beadbug
2009-01-24, 5:53pm
I use to work for viking but have to say that the Babylock is the easiest machine to use.

yellowbird
2009-01-25, 8:01am
Thanks Bead Bug .

veeanca
2009-03-10, 5:40pm
Hi all. Can anyone recommend what other silk I could use besides dupion? I've made and sold a few ribbons made with dupion silk but it's very thick. What kind of silk is the one that crinkles and is thin? Is it the chinese silk? I've been told shantung is just a more expensive version of dupion.

Beadbug
2009-03-11, 5:40pm
PM Jamn and ask her what she uses I am sure she would tell ya.

nickandryan
2010-02-13, 1:22pm
Bump! Thought this thread was full of some good info!

Heather Behrendt
2010-02-15, 10:24pm
Just read through this thread and now I really wanna dye stuff. Too bad I don't have a serger....or money....or time...and I have too many hobbies already

pout

patienthand
2010-02-16, 4:27pm
The sewing studio in orlando has a web site and does mail order, they have gobs of silk, you can also special order silk at Joanns in case you didnt know.

Candice

Heather Behrendt
2010-02-17, 11:50am
The sewing studio in orlando has a web site and does mail order, they have gobs of silk, you can also special order silk at Joanns in case you didnt know.

Candice

Do you know if they have the ends serged? I really like that look, but I don't really want to spend more money on more tools and supplies. Everyone else makes beautiful ones though. I'm sure it's better for me to support them and buy from the pros.

emoon
2010-02-28, 6:38pm
I saw a great silk ribbon vendor in Arcata, Ca. She cut all her silk on the bias so no serging was necessary. Changes the way it handles and hangs with beads, but seriously gorgeous!!

JulieV
2010-02-28, 8:15pm
Ooo! I'd like to see those!

Beadbug
2010-03-01, 6:47pm
When something this narrow is cut on the bias I don't think it would wear very well. If you get some please let us know how they work out.

JulieV
2010-03-01, 7:17pm
I'd like to see it too. Beadbug, you make a very good point.

BrownGirl
2011-11-14, 9:33pm
Do you think that Silk Sari Ribbon would work for these? I see so much of it on etsy and it would be so nice and easy to just serge the edges and have great ribbons.

Beadbug
2011-11-15, 12:33am
I have some of the silk sari ribbon and unless it comes wider it wouldn't work because the strips aren't wide enough to serge without ending up having a shoe lace width string when you are finished. To bad because the colors are amazing.

BTW I have put an updated tutorial on my blog CopperGlassAndRecycledTrash.blogspot.com and it could easily be printed and you don't have to read this whole thread to get all the info.

Lizzydee
2011-11-15, 6:26am
Thank you for posting this!

BrownGirl
2011-11-15, 7:11am
I have some of the silk sari ribbon and unless it comes wider it wouldn't work because the strips aren't wide enough to serge without ending up having a shoe lace width string when you are finished. To bad because the colors are amazing.

BTW I have put an updated tutorial on my blog CopperGlassAndRecycledTrash.blogspot.com and it could easily be printed and you don't have to read this whole thread to get all the info.

Okay! Thanks! I was looking on etsy last night and convo'd a seller and she said that most of her sari ribbons are 1" wide or wider! YAY!

Moth
2011-11-15, 7:14am
Try onion skins! They make a really nice color.

I just found this thread today and I've been reading the whole thing in one swoop and I couldn't wait to get to the end so I could suggest the onion skins! They really are a gorgeous color...I did easter eggs with them on year.

Going back through to get to the rest of the posts but I can tell you I'm already trying to figure out what it will take to bribe my mom into serging the silk for me. I don't want to do that part. LOL
~~Mary

BrownGirl
2011-11-15, 7:20am
I just found this thread today and I've been reading the whole thing in one swoop and I couldn't wait to get to the end so I could suggest the onion skins! They really are a gorgeous color...I did easter eggs with them on year.

Going back through to get to the rest of the posts but I can tell you I'm already trying to figure out what it will take to bribe my mom into serging the silk for me. I don't want to do that part. LOL
~~Mary

I used onion skins on Easter eggs one year, too!

Yeah, it's exciting to think about making your own but, my serger scares me. LOL

esbeads
2011-11-15, 8:21am
Oh dear, another project (don't tell my hubby!). Just placed order with Dharma and doing happy dance because Hobby Lobby opened near here just a few months ago :happy: Time for a road trip! Oh and thanks for the tip on the HL coupon - found one on their site :grin:

Beadbug
2011-11-16, 8:21am
If you are going to do it go big or go home :) get all the colors of dye or you will be frustrated once you start.

What color do the onion skins dye? I have to try it now thanks for the tip.

BrownGirl
2011-11-16, 8:32am
I am going to try the sari silk. It's wide enough and already dyed. I need to ease myself in. I am running out of storage in my studio.

papimom
2011-11-16, 11:19am
I just happened to look at Sari fabrics yesterday. Every time I checked the fabrics were all polyester. Boo Hiss.
Joan