Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Fan Pull Challenged & Pictures Wanted

susiekline
2007-08-24, 8:22am
I feel completely stupid, but I have no idea how to make my fan pulls work! I got some from Karen Thomas and they are nice. But where does the chain thing go? How do the beads stay on?

The chain has a weird piece on one end. What do I do with it?

Anyone have pictures of any?

glassbead
2007-08-24, 2:01pm
Ok, I know this isn't what you're talking about, but I just had to show you a pic. I also would like to know what others are making. This is a lamp pull made on a conical mandrel, with hardware from- where else- the hardware store. I had the conical mandrels for quite a while before I realized what they were good for, so I'd also love to know what else people use them for. These are fun to make, but it takes a long time to wind on all that glass, and you have to get your bead release really hot before you start- otherwise it's bubble city. So this isn't really all that much help.
I think I've seen the weird thingie at the end that you're talking about. I've seen them used, but can't remember how. I might suggest that you try your local hardware store or lamp shop for some nicer-looking alternatives- big balls or bells.

susiekline
2007-08-24, 2:40pm
I answered my own question by going to the Karen Thomas site and looking at finished ones. You put the beads on...finish the end by making a hook/hole with the wire, adding the weird piece to that, then attaching to your current chain.

I love yours. I've never heard of a conical mandrel though! Does your bead stay in the same place as in the photo or does it move to the bottom?

Corey
2007-08-25, 8:35pm
I would love to see pictures! I have a bunch and don't know what to do with them.

playswithfire104
2007-08-26, 9:44am
In the jewelry room there are some uses for the cone breads to be used for the ends of fiber necklaceses

glassbead
2007-08-26, 1:54pm
Yes, the lamp pull moves to the end- just wanted to show the bell-shaped thing. Those mandrels are available through Arrow Springs- one of the Osibin inventions. I'll look in the jewelry room- if I can find it!

ruthmartin
2007-08-29, 3:40pm
Ok, I know this isn't what you're talking about, but I just had to show you a pic. I also would like to know what others are making. This is a lamp pull made on a conical mandrel, with hardware from- where else- the hardware store. I had the conical mandrels for quite a while before I realized what they were good for, so I'd also love to know what else people use them for. These are fun to make, but it takes a long time to wind on all that glass, and you have to get your bead release really hot before you start- otherwise it's bubble city. So this isn't really all that much help.
I think I've seen the weird thingie at the end that you're talking about. I've seen them used, but can't remember how. I might suggest that you try your local hardware store or lamp shop for some nicer-looking alternatives- big balls or bells.
You guys make me feel old! the lamp pull "thingy" is just a decorative end to an old fashioned lamp pull. However, in this case, it serves to keep the bead from falling off the end of the chain.

Jewelry stringers use these cones for multi-strand necklaces--you tie off the strands on the loop end of a piece of wire, put the other end of the wire through the wide end of the cone and pull up until the loop and strand ends are in the cone, then form the end of the wire sticking out of the narrow end of the cone into another loop. Do this on both ends of the necklace and attach the clasp to the two loops.

Typically, we use metal cones but the glass cones are much more interesting.