Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : You all got me hooked on FF

Reenie
2007-08-26, 3:50pm
I've used quite a few bead releases in the past and I carried Bucket O Mud on my webpage which I really liked......until cleaning time. I'd bend so many rods trying to get the beads off. My thumbs would actually ache.
So I thought I'd give Smooth N Tuff from Foster Fire a chance.
I don't lose any (or maybe just a little bit) of bead release when I press and when I'm ready to take the bead off the mandrel....it just slides off.
I love it! I haven't sat down to clean out the inside so I'll have to see how clean the bead gets but I decided to now carry Foster Fire smooth n tuff on my website.
Thanks for the great post on all different types of release.
You made me not cringe when it was time to take the bead off.
Now if only someone could make an electronic mandrel dipper to put the darn stuff on! That is the part I could do without!!!!
Irene

LoriBird
2007-09-06, 11:19am
So, are you still liking the new FF? I'd be up to try it but of course I just bought a new batch of Bucket O Mud.
I use plastic coated vice grip channel lock thingys to hold my mandrel, then one of those rubber jar opener thingys to get my beads off. (how's that for technical terms?LOL) But I hate hate hate when release flakes and comes off when I'm making a bead....and BOM doesn't usually..unless it's been sitting forever on a mandrel. So, tell us your results. :)

silkys
2007-09-06, 11:51am
Use FF .. and you can toss the BOM and those vice grips away !

Reenie
2007-09-06, 2:11pm
Lori,
love it! With my BOM I had to soak alot and then twist with pliers. With the FF...I just pull on the bead and it slides off. No soaking at all. Cleans pretty well too!!!
The only thing I have noticed is sometimes the bead release comes off when I just start a bead but I'm not sure if i coated it well enough or didn't get the mandrel hot enough. But for the most part....I really like it.
Try the 4 oz bottle just to try but I think it's worth it!
Irene

ShepherdCreations
2007-09-06, 3:16pm
I LOVE my FF Smooth n tuff!

NorLigh
2007-09-06, 6:01pm
You sound exactly like me. I was using Bucket of Mud. I have a locking vice grip thingy that I tighten as tight as possible on the mandrel, and then a sticky pad thingy that I use to twist off the bead. Guess what happens? I've bent about half my mandrels!

I got my small order of FF Smooth and Tuff this week. It is wonderful. Fabulous. I could weep from happiness (I actually did feel a tear when my long slender bead slipped right off the mandrel without fighting back.) It is awesome stuff. I also like the consistency when dipping the mandrel- very smooth and even. SWEET bead release.

So, are you still liking the new FF? I'd be up to try it but of course I just bought a new batch of Bucket O Mud.
I use plastic coated vice grip channel lock thingys to hold my mandrel, then one of those rubber jar opener thingys to get my beads off. (how's that for technical terms?LOL) But I hate hate hate when release flakes and comes off when I'm making a bead....and BOM doesn't usually..unless it's been sitting forever on a mandrel. So, tell us your results. :)

Venessa
2007-09-06, 8:19pm

You want me to send you some?? I have a big bottle, and could send you a sample to try out. It is the BEST release I have EVER used!! I love it!

hotblubonnet
2007-09-06, 10:49pm
ahem...you mean it isn't normal to have to soak overnight, clamp the mandrel in one pair of vice grips, wrap a towel around the bead and use padded stained glass plier thingy's to get the beads off the mandrels? I thought that was all part of the adventure of lampworking!!

Seriously...thats what i have to do...

LoriBird
2007-09-07, 2:44am
ahem...you mean it isn't normal to have to soak overnight, clamp the mandrel in one pair of vice grips, wrap a towel around the bead and use padded stained glass plier thingy's to get the beads off the mandrels? I thought that was all part of the adventure of lampworking!!

Seriously...thats what i have to do...

BWA HA HA...see, me too!! I didn't care for the 'other' FF at all, in fact I gave it away. I'll try the new one. Venessa you're too sweet! eeeh I'll just order some, sometime. I 'might' be in KC the end of this month to go to the Ren Faire w/ dd...if I haven't ordered it by then I might take you up on your offer...geee darn.....we might have to meet at Beardens again...<sigh> and look at all that dumb glass.......hehehehehehe

Venessa
2007-09-07, 6:24am
Let me know if you are gonna be here!! Ooooh, Ren-Fest....have not been in years.

danelady
2007-09-07, 11:56am
Hey Lori,
Contact Robin at Foster Fire, fosterfireglass.com
or Jon at LBSupplys 541-874-3926
, they might have a sample they can send you to try. Jon had some a little while ago...

I started a thread about how wonderful this stuff is, a while back and I STILL think iFF Smooth N Tuff is better than sex (ok well ALMOST) LOL
Hugs
LynnieBWA HA HA...see, me too!! I didn't care for the 'other' FF at all, in fact I gave it away. I'll try the new one. Venessa you're too sweet! eeeh I'll just order some, sometime. I 'might' be in KC the end of this month to go to the Ren Faire w/ dd...if I haven't ordered it by then I might take you up on your offer...geee darn.....we might have to meet at Beardens again...<sigh> and look at all that dumb glass.......hehehehehehe

jonsglassshack
2007-09-07, 12:53pm
Hi Lynie, Thank you for adding me to this post, but My phone is -541-874-3926
(missed a digit!)

Thank you
MEHey Lori,
Contact Robin at Foster Fire, fosterfireglass.com
or Jon at LBSupplys 541-874-3926, they might have a sample they can send you to try. Jon had some a little while ago...

I started a thread about how wonderful this stuff is, a while back and I STILL think iFF Smooth N Tuff is better than sex (ok well ALMOST) LOL
Hugs
Lynnie

LoriBird
2007-09-08, 3:32am
I just bought a huge jug of BOM so I'm gonna suffer thru till it's aaaaalmost gone..lol
thanks for the heads up you guys and Irene :) I can't believe I'm the only one who hasn't tried it......

ewdb
2007-09-08, 12:52pm
i have both brands of release and like them both but honestly what made the biggest difference for me was a couple weeks ago deciding to add some fabric softener to my soaking water. a couple hours to completely saturate the release and the beads just slide off like butter now it's kind of amazing - no pliers, gloves, vise etc. needed. plus they smell really good too...lol.

before i did this i was starting to have quite the collection of mangled mandrels. ;-)

Reenie
2007-09-08, 2:34pm
That's a cool tip with the fabric softener. Never thought of that.
I'm sooooo glad I'm not the only one that ended up with bent mandrels and also big marks from the pliers in them that looked like someone took a hacksaw to the beads just to get them off! I've got some mandrels where the beads just won't come off. They are still next to the sink as if trying after a week is going to do anything.
The last time, I had a big pile of unremovable beads and finally just trashed the whole mandrel and all. I have no idea why I haven't done that with these beads as well.
But so far, after trying the FF, I haven't had any beads stick like that.
Irene

FosterFire
2007-09-18, 8:02am
aTo view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. thanks you guys! I'm *blushing* !

Kym
2007-09-20, 1:35pm
I have had about 4-5 different bead releases but Smooth and Tuff outperforms everything. Beads slliiiiiide off, no twisting with anything except my delicate little fingers! I do notice though, you are better off well heating your mandrel before laying down your footprint. S&T likes that bit of initial heat and settles down to hang on tight. I do A LOT OF press beads and it the best release for that too. You won't need conditioner in your soak but then again that's a good tip (I still have other releases sitting around).

Kym

lenora
2007-09-20, 1:46pm
I just bought some to try!