Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : TUTORIAL Wire work necklace and pendant for beginner.

slcuniques
2007-09-02, 12:28pm
I thought I would share one of my beginner necklace tut's. This is a very basic design and easy to make. You can use this tut with your own lampwork beads instead of the HillTribe Sterling silver bead and pearls.
I hope you enjoy and it's easy for you to follow.

Sandy

Tender Symphony

EDITED TO ADD------- I USE DEAD SOFT WIRE THROUGH OUT THE WHOLE PROJECT.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/slcuniques/My%20Free%20Tutorial/TenderSymphony4865.jpg

TUTORIAL
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/slcuniques/My%20Free%20Tutorial/Step1first5images.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/slcuniques/My%20Free%20Tutorial/Step2threeimages.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/slcuniques/My%20Free%20Tutorial/Step3twoimages.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/slcuniques/My%20Free%20Tutorial/Step4Fourimages.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/slcuniques/My%20Free%20Tutorial/Step5Twoimages.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/slcuniques/My%20Free%20Tutorial/Step6oneimage.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/slcuniques/My%20Free%20Tutorial/Step7threeimages.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/slcuniques/My%20Free%20Tutorial/Step8fourimages.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/slcuniques/My%20Free%20Tutorial/Step9fourimages.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/slcuniques/My%20Free%20Tutorial/Step10-oneimage.jpg

azstar
2007-09-02, 1:38pm
WOW! Great tutorial!

BeadTowne
2007-09-02, 1:44pm
Very impressive Sandy! Thanks for taking the time to write out such a detailed tutorial. When I get my desk top up and running again I will print out the directions and give the pendant a try.

dgg112
2007-09-02, 3:22pm
ooooooooooooooooooooh Just beautiful!!! thanks!!

playswithfire104
2007-09-02, 3:40pm
Anyone who wants to do a tut on anything could use this as a PERFECT example!!!! Thank you so much! You really explained each step thoroughly.

Teri.p
2007-09-02, 4:11pm
Incredibly well-written and illustrated. Thank you so much for taking the time to do such a fabulous job, Sandy!

Teri P

country kid
2007-09-02, 4:27pm
Thanks Sandy!!!
Just in time. I'm just starting to explore wire work....I'm sure it isn't as easy as you make it look :doubt:. Outstanding Tutorial! =D> Is that's 20 gauge half hard?
A Materials list and a tools & supplies list at the start would make it easier, rather than going to each step...just a thought. Okay I'm lazy ;) Just one more thing which source do recommend for Hill Tribe Sterling silver?
Thanks Again for doing the tut =D>

Kare

Labrador
2007-09-02, 4:33pm
Thank's Sandy

Wounderfull tutorial, I will have to give it a try before classe......

Looking forward to it

Sophie :-)

Bruna
2007-09-02, 4:55pm
WOW, you are amazing. And the tutorial too! :)

Thank you for sharing!

Ekkie
2007-09-02, 4:58pm
Wonderful tutorial. Thanks.

Jenn

Bubbyanne
2007-09-02, 5:49pm
Oh oh oh! Print print print!
Thank you Sandy! How generous of you to share this great tut!

I love your wire work and jewelry pieces. I have been wondering, are you self taught or have you taken classes?
Your wire work is superb to say the least.
Thanks again

josielv
2007-09-02, 5:58pm
:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:That is so cool Sandy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PaulaD
2007-09-02, 6:22pm
Pretty! Thanks for sharing it!

Paula

slcuniques
2007-09-02, 6:58pm
Oh my gosh, I'm sorry y'all. hehe. I guess a materials list would help, huh? :rolleyes: I'm so daffy sometimes..
On this design you can use 18 or 20 gauge round wire and you'll need some 24 gauge round to add your embellishment beads or pearls onto the actual pendant.
The only tools you'll need is a pair or round nose pliers and and pair each of chain nose and flat nose pliers and something to measure with. Very simple and basic stuff.
You can use any clasp with it. If you want, you can even make the little 4 in one without the last row even smaller with smaller rings. I used 8mm jump rings but it's really pretty with 6mm jump rings. Just add two more links to each chain maile section to make up the difference in length.

Someone asked if I've taken classes. Never have! I'm completely self taught. I bought a video when I first got the itch to wire work because I was having trouble making tight rosettes and that fixed that. I've been on my own ever since.

You're very welcome y'all! I enjoy sharing some of my work with y'all. I'll do an intermediate one sometime after my classes are over for the season.

Have fun with this design y'all, and you are more than welcome to copy it and resell the finished piece if you want. This is a total freebie Gift to everyone who wants it!!

barbbbeads
2007-09-02, 7:26pm
This is a beginner tut? This is really beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing Sandy. I'm getting out my copper wire to practice on!

Thanks again. Your work is gorgeous!

Barbara

slcuniques
2007-09-02, 8:03pm
I really want to see pics from whom ever works this design or even creates their own from it... Pleeeeease?? ;)

lwilson21
2007-09-02, 8:04pm
Very clear and easy to follow tutorial. Thanks!

Leah

jewlie beads
2007-09-03, 4:25am
Thank You! Thank You! I Looooove your work! I have some errands to run this morning and I'm going to get started.

kentaymom
2007-09-03, 6:07am
Great tutorial! I can't wait to give it a try.

Limelight
2007-09-03, 6:52am
Sandy, you are amazing! Thanks so much and will be giving this a try. Wish you were closer so I could take one (no all) of your classes.

jewlie beads
2007-09-03, 8:26am
Hi Angie! Sandy has online wire working classes. It looks like alot of fun too! Its in the classes section on LE.

slcuniques
2007-09-03, 8:36am
You are all very welcome!!!:love::waving:

Limelight
2007-09-03, 8:51am
Thanks Jewlie Beads, I'll be checking it out!

slcuniques
2007-09-03, 9:04am
Hey Julie, Thanks for the promotion!! hehehe. You're so sweet!!

jewlie beads
2007-09-03, 12:19pm
Your welcome Sandy! I just made the pendant and it left with my mil. She was in love with it. I'll have to make another one.LOL!

slcuniques
2007-09-03, 4:31pm
Ack!! Julie, Did you take a pic? Dang it. I wanted to see it... Take a pic of the second . We wanna seeeee!! LOL
I'm happy it was easy for you..

jewlie beads
2007-09-04, 4:34am
I'm sorry! I did'nt get a pic. She snatched it up and it was gone. She almost forgot her dog. I was dog sitting for her and thats what she came over for. LOL!

Blair
2007-09-04, 7:05am
Awsome tutorial! I can't wait to make something up with it!

Sarabella
2007-09-06, 4:32am
Love the tutorial Sandy! Clear instructions, good sized pix - great design!

Thanks a lot!
Sals

Paco
2007-09-06, 9:49am
Sandy,
I have been drooling over your wire work since I saw your thread in the jewelry section named "someone said I had to post my work here". Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge. I can't wait to try this.
Dinah

lavendar420
2007-09-06, 10:08am
wow! killer tute!

slcuniques
2007-09-06, 10:38am
Aww thanks guys!!! Sweet talk will get you everywhere.. hehehe. I'll post another tut in a while after all the classes are done and I have time. I want to do a nice ring tut for y'all. Seems a lot of folks want to learn to make some elaborate rings... I'll let everyone know when I'm ready to do that one. Glad everyone is enjoy this little tutorial..
Thanks again!!

slcuniques
2007-09-06, 10:51am
I noticed after I finished this tut that I made some typo's but I'm sure everyone can look over those. Hope you don't mind that I didn't go back and fix them because I had to do each section using Abobe Photoshop. ACK! PITA!!! So, ommit the double types and typo's please. LOL..Thanks

slcuniques
2007-09-06, 10:53am
Oh, and you can click on my website link in my siggy to see more wire work designs by me if you want. Each page has photo's of my wire work and clay work . I think I left my copper sculpure and glass sculptures on one of the pages. I don't have my shopping cart up just yet. I'm still working on my new site.

WestCoast
2007-09-06, 8:58pm
Thanks Sandy for the tut.....I made a couple of the connetors and gave them as birthday gifts today. I put them on chains....my girfriends loved them.
THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

slcuniques
2007-09-06, 9:10pm
OH that's fantastic? Did you use them as single pendants??

Wendyki
2007-09-07, 10:07am
Thanks Sandy I think even I can make this one :)

WestCoast
2007-09-08, 9:47am
OH that's fantastic? Did you use them as single pendants??

Yes I did and on one I used swarovski crystals in place of the small silver balls, gave it that little extra sparkle......thanks again I always give glass stuff and something different is always nice.

slcuniques
2007-09-10, 11:17am
That sound pretty! I use a lot of Swarovski crystals in my big pieces and I love the sparkle. If you get a chance and you make more or go all the way with this tut, I'd love to see a pic!! Please???\\:D/

Yes I did and on one I used swarovski crystals in place of the small silver balls, gave it that little extra sparkle......thanks again I always give glass stuff and something different is always nice.

WestCoast
2007-09-17, 4:36pm
Heres what I made with the small connectors:

slcuniques
2007-09-17, 5:04pm
OH MY GOODNESS!! That is just wordlessly precious!!! Who did you make that for??? Again. I know you told me but I'm brain dead today.. LOL.
That is just the cutest little bracelet I've ever seen for a new mama!!! BRAVO!!!

WestCoast
2007-09-17, 6:55pm
Thanks Sandy..... I'm brain dead too...We are around the same age ( I think I'm a year older though) ..I'm blonde so my Hubby says its a double wammy. ( blonde and old) Aren't they cute..........My Girlfriends daughter is having a girl any day now....the cute little ITS A GIRL hearts were on our candy favors at her shower, so I told everyone that didn't want theirs I'd take it so I can make her the bracelet for after she delivers. I made the lampwork babies too,I hope she likes it. And Thank you again for posting this thread...I was trying to come up with something different.

slcuniques
2007-09-17, 8:28pm
Awww, She's gonna be thrilled when she see's this bracelet, Chris!. I know I would be.. You should take it up to the hospital and give it to her right after her daughter is born so she can show it off to visitors and the nurses. Oh my, the nurses will flip over it!!! It sure did put a smile on my face!!!

Raven Wylder
2007-09-17, 9:04pm
OMG Chris! That's so cute!

sislonski
2007-09-18, 1:46pm
Arent' you just the best! Super job on this tutorial! I can't believe it hasn't been rated yet.

Okay miss big mouth here. How do you give a thread a star or more?

Rose Leslie
2007-09-18, 3:16pm
WOW beautiful. Thank you. Now I'm going to get a little bit concerned for tomorrow. Jitters for the class.

slcuniques
2007-09-18, 3:32pm
Oh pthpthpth, Rose... You should have seen me yesterday.. I was a basket case just before class. Pier Pressure for sure. I made a few mistakes mistakes too. We're just human. Please don't be nervous. We're just gonna have some fun and make pretty jewelry pieces. We're all buds so it's no different than yacking on here.. Don't let the term "class" bother you, ok??

tradesbears
2007-09-18, 8:08pm
very cool sandy

rosiescreations
2007-09-21, 5:32am
Wonderful Tut.
I can understand this and will try it.
I clicked the wrong thing in the poll.
Thank You for sharing

glassferret
2007-09-21, 7:27am
Great tut Sandy! Did you use dead soft or half hard wire?

slcuniques
2007-09-21, 8:56am
Oh, Oops!! Sorry!
I only use Dead Soft Wire!! ... I hate half hard wire. It's too springy for me.. I tumble the snot out of everything I make with wire so it will harden after the work is done..

Great tut Sandy! Did you use dead soft or half hard wire?

Sharon Abood
2007-09-22, 5:40pm
I loved it. I used scrap wire and it was only 24 g so it was a little too flimsy but I got the idea. I kind of followed your desiggn and did some of my own. Can't wait for tomorrows class.

slcuniques
2007-09-22, 6:28pm
Fantastic Sharon, That's the WHOOOOLE Idea.. To find your own design. BRAVO!! Now, Lets see it!! hehehe.. Come on, show it off for us!!!\\:D/

I loved it. I used scrap wire and it was only 24 g so it was a little too flimsy but I got the idea. I kind of followed your desiggn and did some of my own. Can't wait for tomorrows class.

debkauz
2007-09-22, 8:12pm
Sandy it's a great tutorial. You need to put it in word and run a spell check though. It would look more professional with the spelling cleaned up a bit. I HAVE to use spell check! Thank all the gods for it!!!

Sharon Abood
2007-09-23, 8:33am
Now remember I was just using some scrap wire so it isn't the best but I just wanted to get the idea going. It needs heavier gauge wire so it won't bend as easy.

slcuniques
2007-09-23, 1:32pm
Sharon, You definately have the right design down with your own twist to it.. You just need to pull those wings in a bit more. Too much wing makes them too flexible and they will get damaged easily.. Bring them in about 1/2 again the distance and you'll have it right on!! Nice job gal!! I like the extras you added too. Especially the dangle at the bottom!!

ecstatic E
2007-09-25, 2:36pm
How generous of you to create this tutorial. It's so easy to understand. Beautifully done!!

Thank you for sharing your talent.

Ecstatic Elizabeth

ecstatic E
2007-09-25, 2:39pm
Heres what I made with the small connectors:

What a precious bracelet! Brilliant how you incorporated the connectors into it.

Thanks for sharing!

Ecstatic Elizabeth

WestCoast
2007-09-30, 7:23pm
Thanks Elizabeth I can't wait to give it to the new Mommy, she had her on the 27th. I was on vacation so I'm taking it by on Wednesday.
What a precious bracelet! Brilliant how you incorporated the connectors into it.

Thanks for sharing!

Ecstatic Elizabeth

slcuniques
2007-10-02, 8:51am
It was my pleasure to share it! You're very welcome Elizabeth and everyone!!
Thank you again for the fantastic compliments!!!:love:

How generous of you to create this tutorial. It's so easy to understand. Beautifully done!!

Thank you for sharing your talent.

Ecstatic Elizabeth

j-boat
2007-10-04, 5:16am
Hey Sandy....here is what I did with the connectors. I think they make great earrings!

Mustang Dawn
2007-10-04, 5:20am
That is Awesome! Thanks for sharing :)

Dawn

slcuniques
2007-10-04, 10:51am
OH!!! Those are BEAUTIFUL!!! I like those earring A LOT!!! WTG Jill!! Those will go with anything!!!! I love jewelry that is easy to wear... Nice nice nice!!

Hey Sandy....here is what I did with the connectors. I think they make great earrings!

j-boat
2007-10-04, 12:55pm
Thanks Sandy! I actually made them to go with a pendant I made (another heart). I *really* like how they turned out and plan on making them many more times. Thanks so much for the tut!!!! And now that I really lool at the pic, the bali on the right one looks crooked, but in hand they are straight (I had to go check!). Hmm, must just be the angle the pic was taken??

Koimum
2007-10-08, 7:12am
Sandy, that is a great tutorial!
Thanks for taking the time to share it!

Jill, I love the earrings!

JoAnn

slcuniques
2007-11-03, 9:37pm
Fantastic. I'm glad the tut is still working for y'all. I thought it died there.. LOL. I haven't gotten around to doing the butterfly earring tut yet, but I will.. Just been so busy lately..

Troll Lover
2007-11-06, 3:12am
Gorgeous! Surely worth the try!

Captured Light Glass
2007-11-10, 9:19am
Thank you Sandy!

slcuniques
2007-11-16, 9:28pm
I just put up a Wire heart tut for Beginners if anyone wants to take a peek at it. I've just linked it from Ruthers contest page instead of posting all the images in a thread.. Go see!

tiggybubba
2007-12-06, 4:39pm
Where is the link Sandy?
This is an awesome tut and would love to see the heart one.
Leslie

charo
2007-12-08, 10:59pm
Thanks for the great tutorial Sandy.
I am a fellow wire worker and love to see other peoples work.

slcuniques
2007-12-08, 11:44pm
here ya go Tiggy. It's in another tut thread.. This is the heart & choker tutorial.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72631:waving:

Where is the link Sandy?
This is an awesome tut and would love to see the heart one.
Leslie

Sure am glad everyone is still enjoying these tuts. I sure enjoy sharing them with you!!

slcuniques
2007-12-08, 11:46pm
BTW, Did ya'll see my new necklace in the Jewelry show and tell for this week?

I started the thread so it's the very first post. Here's he link.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74830

woozles
2007-12-26, 7:34am
I am a newbie to Lampwork and fascinated by wire work as well. I decided to attempt this pendant tutorial. The Blue bead was much longer than the one indicated in the tutorial and I did not take that into account when cutting my wire - so I wound up improvising! It is not perfect, but I like it!

Then I decided to learn to make the spirals and created the green necklace and pendant. I realize it is not perfect either, but thought I would show them here anyway! (both pendant beads are beads I made.)

Vicki

dgg112
2007-12-26, 9:02am
Beautiful!!!

nivedita
2007-12-26, 12:04pm
That is so gorgeous ! i will even try it !!!! I have been wanting to play with wire...

hummingbird3172
2007-12-28, 3:02pm
You really blow my mind! I've wanted to try wire working but I am soooo bad at it and I lose patience. You must be an incredible teacher, because you make me want to give it another shot!

aimee
2007-12-29, 8:47pm
You should be very proud of yourself. Your beads are very pretty but not only that, you gave the wire wrapping a try and didn't give up when you realized the wire was cut too small. And you posted pictures of what you did. Everyone has to start somewhere and you don't learn or get better without working at it.

I am a newbie to Lampwork and fascinated by wire work as well. I decided to attempt this pendant tutorial. The Blue bead was much longer than the one indicated in the tutorial and I did not take that into account when cutting my wire - so I wound up improvising! It is not perfect, but I like it!

Then I decided to learn to make the spirals and created the green necklace and pendant. I realize it is not perfect either, but thought I would show them here anyway! (both pendant beads are beads I made.)

Vicki

woozles
2007-12-31, 6:02am
The pendant on the spirals necklace is very difficult to photograph. The base is orange sherbert, then cased in clear and on top is silvered ivory mixed with copper green (I think). It has more depth than appears in the picture and I pulled from the greens for the beads on the necklace itself........

Vicki

tMP
2008-04-04, 5:33am
wow awesome tutorial. .. i am interested in starting some wire work . . .. this is an awesome example. Thanks

simvet02
2008-08-04, 7:54pm
Beginners, I wish. I'm going to try to make one of these but I will bet it won't look like yours....LOL Thanks for taking the time to make this, I know how hard it is to put into words what you do without thinking. Not easy to say the least.

thanks,

slcuniques
2008-09-15, 10:17pm
Thanks for so many e-mails and pm's ya'll. I'm so happy so many of you got so much out of it.. Some great photo's are showing everyone is doing so well. Remember PPP.. Wire work is a lot of fun but can get a bit frustrating sometimes. Still does for me at times.
Great job everyone!!!

Tesorobeads
2008-09-16, 12:30pm
Beautiful work Sandy and your tutorial is very well written.

Debbie

slcuniques
2008-11-05, 9:34am
Thank you Debbie.. There are so many little mistakes in it but it was my first one years ago. I've evolved over the years. hehehe.. The actual layout of this one was much better but it was finally removed from the site a couple years ago and I lost the original file when my old computer fried. Thankfully, she saved it for us.

Corey
2008-11-07, 11:16am
here ya go Tiggy. It's in another tut thread.. This is the heart & choker tutorial.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72631:waving:

Sure am glad everyone is still enjoying these tuts. I sure enjoy sharing them with you!!

I can't seem to find the heart & choker tutorial. I see the picture but no tutorial. Is there a secret to getting it to come up?

slcuniques
2008-11-08, 7:26pm
I"m not real sure what you mean Corey. The whole thing is a jpg, including the type (font).
The words are on the photos and to the right.. here's the link to that one again. You have to click on the title to take you to the actual tutorial hun. http://www.slc-livestreaming.com/Slc_Uniques/Free_Tutorials.html

Corey
2008-11-09, 4:03pm
I got it now! Thanks so much. It's beautiful!

slcuniques
2008-11-09, 4:06pm
You're welcome and thank you too.

HeatSeekingMSL
2009-02-16, 8:41pm
wow, that's a beautiful necklace, i'll have to give it a go. great tut!

G.L.McBead
2009-02-24, 12:37pm
What A Great Tut.
Thanks,
G.

cricket
2009-02-28, 7:24pm
Gorgeous!! I will SO try this one. Thanks for your generosity...very easy to comprehend!

Cricket

Glassy
2009-03-09, 7:25pm
WOW for lack of a bigger word. I have just stumbled on to your tutorial and sooo want to try this, I have never done any wire work before and have no idea where to start. Could you please give me a pointer as to where I can get the wire and other silver bits wholesale or 'wallet friendly from'??
..and by the way really really top tutorial!
Thanks, Petra

slcuniques
2009-04-12, 9:07pm
Thanks ya'll. Glassy, I get my wire from www.monsterslayer.com. To me, They have the best prices and excellent quality wire and findings.. www.ccsilver.com is a good place too. I buy from both.

sierracatzlampwork
2009-08-13, 10:00am
Thank you so much for posting this tutorial.. I do a lot of lapidary work as well and I think this is the ticket for some of my large stones that are drilled! How does this translate for copper wire..do I have to anneal it some?

Lizzydee
2012-08-29, 7:20pm
very very nice. :)

Dragonfly Queen
2013-05-16, 5:47pm
Beautiful. I am going to have to try this some time.