Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Best Bead Release for Boro???

WhiskerWood
2005-10-25, 9:07pm
I searched the forum before I posted and there was no recommendation for bead release when using boro...

I am just starting to play with boro and the bead release I am using is not working well for me…

cghipp
2005-10-25, 10:23pm
FosterFire makes a heavy duty bead release for boro. It's also good for hollows, I've heard.

Cosmo
2005-10-26, 5:59am
I use regular Foster Fire for boro. I had some of the heavy duty, but it dried out in like 2 weeks. I haven't had a problem with the standard formula.

DesertDreamer
2005-10-26, 6:19am
I have a funky blend. It all started cuz I was getting low on Fusion when I first met Robin Foster and tried FosterFire. She said to go ahead and mix 'em, so I did! Then, when she came out with the heavy duty boro formula, I didn't get around to trying my sample until it had started to dry out, so I scraped it into my Fusion/FF blend and I think it works great! It's a little grainy but I think that's what helps it to hold so well. I holds for hollows, boro, even blown shapes ala Tink vessels.

BonfireBeads
2006-10-19, 2:36pm
Hate to bring up a really old thread, but I have the Fosterfire heavy duty and the regular Fosterfire and both of them flake off when I am working with boro. Would it help if I dipped the mandrels twice? Air dry? Flame dry? I love tinkering on the darkside but I'm about to give up...

HardwoodTrailGlass
2006-10-19, 2:56pm
I use Arrow Springs Dip-N-Go Sludge, it works the best for me and I've tried most of them out there! ;)

squid
2006-10-19, 4:43pm
Hate to bring up a really old thread, but I have the Fosterfire heavy duty and the regular Fosterfire and both of them flake off when I am working with boro. Would it help if I dipped the mandrels twice? Air dry? Flame dry? I love tinkering on the darkside but I'm about to give up...

I do not have good luck with FF heavy duty if I flame dry it, but it is awesome if I let it air dry for at least 6 hours or so. No flaking at all.

BonfireBeads
2006-10-19, 5:27pm
I will give the air drying a try because the flame drying was really not getting it, lol. If that doesn't work I'll try the Dip-N-Go. Thank you so much!

RuskinDesigns
2006-10-19, 6:52pm
I use fosterfire regular and I found an old jar of sludge plus. I was running low on FF so I added the sludge plus to it. I air AND flame dry depending on my level of preparedness :)

Leanne
2006-10-19, 11:27pm
yeah I agree FF heavy duty is great just DON"T flame dry it...it is far stronger to be left to dry on it's own. The same goes with the normal stuff don't flame dry it it loses it's holding power.

Kalera
2006-10-19, 11:45pm
I love the FF heavy duty, always air dried, and thinner than you might think it should be. If it starts to dry out or gets really thick add plain old tap water to thin it out again!

For the last year or so I've been using a homemade bead release recipe Michael Barley gave me, which is 1/2 kiln wash and 1/2 alumina hydrate. Just fot the heck of it I threw in some (not sure how much, not sure it matters much) diatomaceous earth. I love it! It's my favorite bead release so far, and about $25 makes more bead release than I will probably use in my whole life.

Anakin's Glass Eye
2006-10-20, 12:55am
I currently use Sludge Plus. I bought FF heavy duty and tried it but was very disappointed with it. It flaked off easily. I always air dry. I plan to try it again thinned out a bit, just to make sure it was operator error that made it not work.

Brad

Wonker
2006-10-20, 1:10am
I'm a Dip N Go fan myself.

G.L.McBead
2006-10-20, 6:33pm
1/4 Fosterfire 3/4 BOM or
1/4 FF 3/4 Super Blue Sludge
G.

sandree
2006-10-27, 2:10pm
Currently using, 1/2 Foster Fire, 1/2 Fusion. Still get flaking, so I am always looking for something even better...

Sandy

FiredDesires
2006-10-28, 9:16am
I like FPI for boro..I use FF to mix into my Choice / BOM...I'm a latent mad scientists in the bead release scheme of things, lol.

The FF has to be put on the mandral thin, almost to where you see the stainless steel through it..sheer, otherwise if too thick it does flake & spit...those brown spots on my hands?? They ARE NOT age spots!!! lol

HardwoodTrailGlass
2006-10-28, 9:20am
The thinness freaks me out? Drip, drip, drip. I must be weird! :lol: