Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : How to make a bead display for $10 or less....

caspertorch
2007-10-08, 2:46pm
A few people suggested I copy this to the tut thread from the booth show and tell thread.

Now before I write these instructions let me tell you , My FIRST idea was to use two really nice picture frames hinge them together and rout out the grooves for the mandrels. I still may do that - but frames are kinda pricey and this is a quick/cheap means to an end.

here's the tools and supplies I used.
a framing saw - though not necessary could be regular saw.
a drill with a phillips screw bit
a few 2x2x42 deck spindles from home depot @ $1.25 each
2 1/2 inch drywall screws
finishing nails
hinges
a router bit for your dremel or electric bead reamer ($6)
black lacquer paint.
bolt cutter from harbour freight ($5)
pound (or two depending on the size of the display) of TiG welding rods 308L from your local welding shop costs about $6.50 a pound and has about 13-36" 3/32 rods per pound which you will cut to size.

I bought the decking spindles because they were short enough to fit in my trunk, but you could also use regular 8 foot 2x2 and it would be even cheaper.

I (the hubby and Tamara actually lol) cut the wood into two short and two long pieces for each box.

I screwed the corners together forming a frame or box.

On the back I made a mark every 2 inches on both sides of the box and routed out a channel (using my electric bead reamer and the routing bit) about 1/4 of an inch long, 1/8 of an inch deep and at a 45 degree angle to hold the mandrels.

then I hinged the boxes together.

then because I wasn't a very exact router I measured each mandrel individually... lol and cut them to length.

then I spray painted the black lacquer in three coats til it was uber shining and voila!

it wasn't til later I added the finishing nails around the outer edge when I needed some way to display the chokers, I painted the nails black too.

you can use just about any size wood you want to do this -- the 2x2 is cheap and light but CAN warp.

I also think I made mine just a TAD too tall -- I was afraid it would tip over so I c-clamped it to the table for added stability.

that's it, easy as pie!

two not very good photos - sorry bout that....

and one pic taken before I realized two frames were not going to be enough.

caspertorch
2007-10-08, 2:48pm
here's a pic of my booth, I was sharing it with a friend and fellow lampworker show does Jewelry - Kimberly Originals.

I also made the smaller display on Kimberly's side of the table.

Happy display making!!!:cool:

josielv
2007-10-08, 2:51pm
Cool tutorial Becky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PixieFireBeads
2007-10-08, 2:58pm
I don't check the tutorials often and I'm so glad I didn't miss this one. Thanks so much for sharing this Becky and I think your table looks great!

acmegirl
2007-10-08, 3:30pm
Becky, They look fabulous! Thanks for sharing...:)

blong2001
2007-10-08, 4:13pm
Becky - thanks! This was something that I had thought about doing but did not know where to start. Have my weekend project for the DH!
Beth

Yvon
2007-10-08, 4:23pm
That's a really great setup, and it can be easily modified any which way! Thanks.

Beadbug
2007-10-10, 7:58am
That is a great setup. I may just make myself one of these for my torch room.

Cherine Perrin
2007-10-12, 12:43pm
Becky you're a genius! Can't wait to go to Lowe's and try to make one too.

Thanks for sharing!

jaci
2007-10-13, 9:02am
I'm thinking this should be added to the tut list!!!

Chuckie
2007-10-13, 9:31am
Fabulous, Dahhhling!

lampyMummy
2007-10-17, 2:31am
Becky you are a GEM - i was telling my DH last night i wanted him to buy me a nice little display for when i have some beads to show off or (hahahahahahaha) sell. I had seen some like this in stores, but never for sale - only as display. You just saved me time, money AND now i can find DH something ELSE to get me for my birthday. Mwahahahahahaha....brilliant!

dogmaw
2007-10-17, 6:07am
Looks great! Thanks!

Bretta
2012-12-02, 12:59pm
Wish I'd seen these instructions before I did my first two shows last month. I kept looking for something to add height to my display! Thanks for sharing!