Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Best place to buy a dual stage propane regulator

Cat
2007-10-31, 6:41am
Long story short, after upgrading to a new torch I would prefer to work with a dual stage propane regulator. The best price I have found is with McMaster for $197. Does anyone know of a place that can beat this price? I've found them for $250-$400, so my thoughts are this may be the best price I can find. It's a Smith made.

Judi_B
2007-10-31, 6:59am
I got mine at www.weldingdepot.com for a lot less. I got an LP regulator, but I think you can also use an acetylene regulator on a propane tank (saw it in the safety forum recently).

Cat
2007-10-31, 7:26am
I just checked the site and I'm not seeing any dual stage regulators.

Cosmo
2007-10-31, 12:35pm
Why go with a dual stage? Is your single stage not working properly? I've never heard of anyone using a dual stage. Seems like overkill.

Cat
2007-10-31, 1:52pm
I have too much fluctuation with my gas line - a lot of it has to do with where my propane tank is located outside. I am constantly having to readjust my propane at the torch. When I say constantly - I mean every 60 seconds. It's dropping down so low I'm having to crank the torch knob opened, it stays ok for a short while and then dies down again. And I have set my propane regulator higher to try to eliminate this problem - but it's just not doing the job. In talking at length with Air Gas the other day and researching a lot online, I found that by getting a dual (two stage) regulator, this would take care of the problem. When I'm working with small beads and striking colors in the flame, I want the gas pressure to stay stable so that I can just focus on working and not having to constantly make sure I've got the correct flame setting.

I found one on Arrow Springs website for about the same price as McMaster.