Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : How do you hold and spin your mandrels?

Bunyip
2007-11-05, 7:51am
I've recently watched several master mandrel-twirlers at work, and I've come to the conclusion that my mandrel-twirling skills are weak. Some of you work from the middle of the mandrel - Others from the end like I do.

Please share your tips and tricks on how you work with mandrels! How do YOU spin your mandrel with lathe-like precision? I'm in envy of you and wish to flatter you in the sincerest way (imitation!).

=)

Captured Light Glass
2007-11-05, 8:56am
I spin away from me and I switch hands when I melting as opposed to winding on glass.

I also have an EMS (Electric Mandrel Spinner) that helps tons for doing spacers etc.

swamper
2007-11-05, 9:07am
The real trick to precision mandrel spinning, regardless of whether you spin toward or away from you is to rest the rod in the curve of your middle, ring, and pinkie fingers below your palm and use your thumb and pointer to rotate, rolling the mandrel across your thumb - when you roll as far as you can go, while the mandrel is still spinning on your other three fingers, reposition your thumb and index finger for the next roll. Hope this makes sense. It's the easiest way to not have a pause that would let your hot glass droop when you reposition.

Oh, and I switch hands depending on what I'm doing.

Linda

nancytobey
2007-11-05, 9:10am
I work at the end of a mandrel, and I hold it with all four fingers in an undergrip. then I use my thumb to make the rotation. I alternate between rotating away and toward me, but each rotation is a complete one. I switch hands often, but always keep the mandrel in a horizontal position when I switch, all the while keeping a slow even rotation. It hurts my brain to have to recall just how I do this -after 11 years it is automatic for me!

Toni Lutman
2007-11-05, 9:38am
I think no matter how you hold it, it actually takes a fair amount of practice to get to a point where your spinning is smooth and automatic. Your dexterity will increase as you do it more often and your muscles become used to the movement.

Dale M.
2007-11-05, 9:43am
I work at the end of a mandrel, and I hold it with all four fingers in an undergrip. then I use my thumb to make the rotation. I alternate between rotating away and toward me, but each rotation is a complete one. I switch hands often, but always keep the mandrel in a horizontal position when I switch, all the while keeping a slow even rotation. It hurts my brain to have to recall just how I do this -after 11 years it is automatic for me!

I do it pretty much same way....

Dale

playswithfire104
2007-11-05, 10:31am
I do what Nancy does. But I'm gonna give Linda's method a try.

FiG
2007-11-05, 1:03pm
Nancys way is correct.

DesertDreamer
2007-11-05, 1:22pm
I work from the middle, and stagger the twirling from left to right hand. This makes heat-shaping so much easier because you get an even, steady rotation. How you folks work at the end of the mandrel just amazes me!

stark
2007-11-05, 2:57pm
hi, i am re;eatively new at this but i took class with John Winter and he told us to hold the madrel so that the end is resting on you pinky funder inside a loose fist and your pointer rolls the madrell down you thumb. it seems to work well enough.. hope this was helpful!

Just Nancy
2007-11-05, 3:03pm
I do it like Linda. I did recently have to cut off my nails when I let them get too long. It was goofing up my rolling to the end of my thumb. Always working on the end. Sometimes I hold it part way up the mandrel. I don't get how people work in the middle. :lol:

I'm going to try it the way Nancy, Dale and someone else mentioned sometime.

FiG
2007-11-05, 5:25pm
This should be natural, underhand or over, working the middle of the mandrell, or the end, all five fingers should be in play,rotation should be at least 365 degrees, then reverse and come back at least one complete revolution, Strong rotation skills are essential, I always add glass to the mandrel spinning away from me, I never keep spinning in one direction unless both hands are in play,

PixieFireBeads
2007-11-05, 6:33pm
I learned to spin the mandrel away from me but I found it very hard and no matter how long I practiced I didn't feel any better about it (I have a touch of arthritis).

I switched to deep dipping and using two hands, the quality of my beads improved greatly but I wasted a lot of bead release and sometimes got dust from the release onto my fingers then onto everything else.

After taking a class with Leah Fairbanks I learned to use a Smircich shaper, no need to deep dip anymore.

After taking a class with Tink Martin I learned that while making vessels it's easier for me to turn the mandrel towards me for half of the vessel.

So, now that I can competently make a purty bead with the method I was taught, which is the one handed method, I make them however I feel most comfortable on any given day. I'm glad I know more than one way.

playswithfire104
2007-11-05, 6:42pm
This should be natural, underhand or over, working the middle of the mandrell, or the end, all five fingers should be in play,rotation should be at least 365 degrees, then reverse and come back at least one complete revolution, Strong rotation skills are essential, I always add glass to the mandrel spinning away from me, I never keep spinning in one direction unless both hands are in play,

I agree. I just tried the way Linda does it and the bead spun much too fast for me to control it. I think it is kinda like golf swings or batting stances - every one has one that works for them. It may not work for you - but it dosn't have to - you have your own way.

Jane P
2007-11-05, 7:07pm
I am going to have to figure out a new way - I get half way through a roll/spin and my left thumb joint starts to "stutter" (that is the only way I can describe what happens) and the mandrel starts to shudder and shake. At first I thought it was too many cafe-mocha's, however the doc says that I am developing some osteo-arthritis in the joint (damn it!).

swamper
2007-11-06, 7:55am
OH, I forgot to add - I always pause briefly if the bead is lobsided while the heavy part is on top so that gravity will help to round the bead up.

ewdb
2007-11-08, 11:08am

I just tried it this way last couple torch sessions and while it feels wierd (i've been doing it overhand up to now) it certainly made for less sudden "dips" in my spinning since i'm simply rolling the mandrel down the length of my fingers.

I work at the end of the mandrel and i'm finding a combination of underhand and overhand will probably work best for me. I work more naturally overhand (either hand) but found this new (to me) underhand great for evenly centering the hot glass around the mandrel when heating the gather and evening out the ends...

this thread has been so interesting - it never ever occured to me before to look at the way i hold the mandrel when i'm spinning.

Jenfire
2007-11-08, 1:17pm
I work the middle of the mandrel because d/t surg and disease my muscles stutter a lot in my hands now. to coat the mandrels I use the bottom of a smooth bowl and roll the mandrels to get the release on them, then both ends are free of release. The mandrels are 12 inches long. Most of my marvering is done with a jannelle(sp?) marver. It allows me to spin both ways shape and feel confident with the glass.
Jen

Jenfire
2007-11-08, 1:21pm
Here is a link to one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/INNOVATIVE-PLATFORM-MARVER-6-X6-LAMPWORK-BEADMAKING_W0QQitemZ130171577760QQihZ003QQcategory Z3101QQcmdZViewItem
Jen

Jenfire
2007-11-11, 4:33pm
bump - I am interested in what other people have to say.
Jen

cheeky monkey
2007-11-11, 4:44pm
I got an EMS from Bearfoot Arts. It saved my torching life!!!! I was diagnosed with arthritis in my thumbs and honestlly I know it was brought on by lampworking. I never had a problem before until I spent a couple of weeks torching 9 days out of 14 and then it hit. OMIGOSH I thought I had never felt pain like that. I got an EMS and learned to use it well (I think) It is not by any means a simple devise - actually the tool is simple but if you couldn't make a bead before then it won't help you make a bead by having one! You still have to practice and understand the nature of glass, heat and gravity. It's no different than a potter using an electric wheel vs a kick wheel. Your knees can only do so much you know? Anyway - I highly recommend it. Now I only have thumb pain when I type too much! LOL

ryman
2007-11-11, 7:15pm
I was watching a Pat Frantz video and saw her using a very short mandrel in a mandrel holder that looked to have a diameter of 14mm. Any one know what she used? Is it easier on your grip?
Sharon

cheeky monkey
2007-11-11, 7:57pm
I think it was probably a 'pin vise'. I know you can get one at a hardware store or online. It is way easier to grip since it has a nice thick handle on it.

FiG
2012-03-30, 9:26pm
I forgot all about this thread and that I even contributed. Hell its been five years. I was just trolling in the Tips section and came upon this. Im gonna bump it along with another thread I posted recently because holding the mandrel and spinnig it really is essential to working glass beads. I will say the overhand grip in your left hand makes it easy to work on the right hand side of the bead whilst the underhand grip will open up the left side of the bead.

flamingobeth
2012-04-02, 3:58pm
The kind and generous folks in my glass group advised that I carry a mandrel around all the time, and spin it whenever I need something to do with my hands. It's my favorite stress reliever, and my skills are improving.

Bunyip
2012-04-02, 4:27pm
Been working off mandrel so long I forgot this post!

jonibird
2012-04-02, 6:44pm
I totally cheat! I have a deal rigged up! It consist of a tall can like deal with 2 small vicegrips. The vicegrips are clamped to the can. My mandrel sits in the "well" that the handles make. I probably couldn't work with glass now if I didn't have this! It makes it so easy to spin the mandrel and gives me a steady hand!

silverlilly1
2012-04-02, 9:23pm
I use one end of the rod. I usually spin away from me, both for laying down glass and for melting things in, but have been known to switch it up if the situation calls for it. I like turning away from the heat over the top because the dots/etc get heated up, then move on top where they sag down a bit and cool. Gives me the most bang for my buck?

I caught myself keeping a mandrel spinning while changing hands tonight. I amaze myself.:-\"

alb6094
2012-04-02, 10:30pm

That's me exactly. I rarely switch hands.