Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Okay, just had to brag a little....

Cosmo
2005-11-07, 7:26am
Well, as some of you know, we have been teaching lampworking classes at our local bead shop for about a year now. That has been going pretty well, but we are limited as to how many students we can take. Right now it's limited to 4, and we usually have a waiting list. We just don't have the room to take any more than that.

Over the weekend, the owner of the bead shop offered us the chance of a lifetime... the entire back half of the building (about 1000 sq ft) is empty. Well, not empty, but full of junk and not being used. So, she asked us if we'd like to build our own studio back there. Naturally we jumped at the chance. They said if we would clean it out ourselves, we could use it free of charge, and just give them a percentage of what we make (which we have been doing all along anyways). The building is perfect... concrete floors, brick walls, and the electrical system in the whole building was upgraded about 3 months ago with both 110 and 220. Ceilings are 20 feet tall, so we have plenty of room to do whatever we want.

So, to make a long story short, come Spring/Summer of next year, we will have our own fully functioning glass studio, complete with at least 8 torches, plenty of light and ventilation, and a whole stained glass/fusing setup. Needless to say we are really excited. We'll post pictures along the way. Once we get open, we intend to have classes by nationally-known teachers. We've already been talking to some of them and figuring out dates...

xtweeksx
2005-11-07, 8:42am
Thats fantastic.........wish you well in your adventure.

Jenny

sassy
2005-11-07, 11:03am
That great. Congrats!

MitraP
2005-11-07, 11:45am
Wow! How awesome! Hey, when you get all set up let us over here in Williamsburg/Tidewater know. We have a group full of beadmakers dying to take classes. We are arranging some on our own but some of us would be happy to travel to Roanoke for a class.

Mitra
www.ll757.com (http://www.ll757.com)

debkauz
2005-11-07, 12:10pm
Oh you are so lucky!!! I wish you much success! Might even have to try to get down for a class sometime.

Cosmo
2005-11-07, 12:27pm
Wow! How awesome! Hey, when you get all set up let us over here in Williamsburg/Tidewater know. We have a group full of beadmakers dying to take classes. We are arranging some on our own but some of us would be happy to travel to Roanoke for a class.

Mitra
www.ll757.com (http://www.ll757.com)

Will do. We have a couple big classes planned early next year, but I can't say who yet until we finalize the dates and prices. If our official studio isn't open by then, we will have to take students 4 at a time...

pierces*designs
2005-11-07, 1:27pm
HEY! I am not that far from you! I will be very interested to see who you bring in.

Cosmo
2005-11-07, 1:46pm
Yeah, I'm really excited about the people we've been talking to. We have been talking to everyone from beadmakers to marble makers to glass sculpture makers. We have also been talking to someone who is one of, if not the biggest names in PMC. Can't say any more than that right now, though. It's killing me to keep my big mouth shut. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that everything gets done in time and things work out like we hope they will...

boobiebeads
2005-11-07, 2:08pm
OMG, I am so excited for you and just a little jealous!!

Michelle

Cosmo
2005-11-09, 7:03am
Here are the first of what I'm sure will be many photos to come. Yes, it's a mess right now, but we're going to start working on it in the next few weeks, and hope to have it cleaned out and start hanging lights by Christmas.

http://www.soleiletlune.com/studio

HardwoodTrailGlass
2005-11-11, 12:36pm
I think your space has an awesome feel to it!
Congrats, can't wait to see what classes will be available as I am around Asheville, NC

Carrie

lunesse
2005-11-11, 1:10pm
congrats! what a wonderful opportunity!

Flamechick
2005-11-14, 10:56am
OMG, I am so excited for you and just a little jealous!!

Michelle

Yeah! What she said!

Congrats!

Amber

Mr. Smiley
2005-11-25, 6:11am
Chad,

That space is awesome!!! I know you guys are putting your heart and soul into this. Please protect your hard work with a lease agreement of some sort. Just something to guarantee you that space for a period of time. Ok, off of the mood kill speech and back on to the "Holy crap that's a cool space!" speech. I love the brick... it looks so old school. Warm and friendly with a touch of industrial edge. It's perfect! Can't wait to see it done! :D

Cosmo
2005-11-25, 7:00am
Yeah. The husband of the woman that owns the building is a lawyer, and he's drawing up the lease agreement as we speak...

Mr. Smiley
2005-11-25, 7:13am
Kewl! It's going to be a great space and you should be able to bennefit from your hard work for years to come! :love:

Juln
2005-12-04, 2:53pm
Thats great, it sounds like that is a perfect shop space! It's amazing how opportunities like grand, conveniently located buildings with high ceilings, concrete floors and up to date electrical systems can present themselves when the time is right.

Cosmo
2006-01-10, 8:57am
Update:

We are in the process of moving everything out right now. We have to have some new concrete put down in a couple places, but everything is still on schedule.

Here is a layout of what we think we're going with. We may have to make a couple changes because of the fire code, but this is the general idea.

The pic is big, so I'll just link to it:

http://www.soleiletlune.com/studio/studio-layout.jpg

HardwoodTrailGlass
2006-01-11, 3:48am
How exciting!
Can't wait for more classes that are closer!
Carrie