Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Another ventilation question :)

BeadinMarie
2005-11-07, 7:04pm
(modified the bottem of my post with new info)

Hi, I am in the process of setting up my 'studio' in our garge, I will be using a 6' long table, will be using a minor torch and am trying to figure out how to best ventilate the garge.

We rent, so I can't go drilling large vent holes anywhere, and it is a townhouse, so no where to really do that at anyways. Plan to store the propane outside on our large ground level porch when not in use.

I plan to have two fans in the garage to move air, but my goal is to work with the garage door closed. The garage door has two air vents on it at the bottom of the door. Do you think this method will work..

I was thinking of putting up some kind of hood ventilation, nothing large maybe 2 feet in width over my torch area? Attached to some pipe taking the air up a little, over to my left, then back down to the floor over to the vent in the garge door and attach it to something like this:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?xi=xi&ItemId=1611769254&ccitem=

I think my question is will this be effective because I have to pull the air down to the floor and not venting it outside from the top of the garage somewhere? (that isn't an option)

Is a blower/fan like that to strong, not good enough, just won't work, be ok ..... as you can see I really don't know a lot about this part yet, but I don't want to turn my garage into a dangerous work zone! (hubby already bought about 5 fire extinguishers, propane detectors and a load of other things lol...what does he think I am going to do anyways???)

Thanx I would appriciate any thoughts and or better ideas for the garage!

Modified to add:

Welp after doing more reading around the web and getting most confused about exactly what I need in terms of fans and how to hook them up, I am thinking of going towards the glasscraft kit since it already has everything,
http://www.glasscraftinc.com/product/product_detail.cfm?part_id=1342

So that still leaves my last question, if this vents down to the floor infront of a vent on the garage door, will that be ok? Leaves the vent on the other end of the garage door free to bring new air in.

Thought this would be a little easier hehe :)

-Marie

MikeAurelius
2005-11-08, 6:56am
The short answer is no.

I'll step through your post from top to bottom --

You mention that you will "store the propane outside on our large ground level porch when not in use". Does this mean you will be having the propane tank inside the garage when it is in use? Is the garage attached to the house in any fashion? If so, then it is illegal for you to do this - an attached garage is considered part of the house and you cannot have the tank inside the garage. It MUST be outside.

"My goal is to work with the garage door closed" "The garage door has two vents on the bottom of the door"

First of all, in order to safely supply fresh air to replace exhausted air, the fresh air MUST be supplied at least 10 feet from the exhaust, otherwise you will do nothing but suck back exhaust fumes into the garage.

How big are these vents? Do they have at least 50 square inches of open area? (50 square inches is the area of an 8" round duct). If you don't have that much open area on these vents you will not be able to use them.

Is there a window that opens in the garage?

Is there a "human" door to the outside in the garage?

Working in a garage has its own issues - be sure you remove any gasoline tanks for lawn mowers etc. Also all the gasoline-using machines (including automobiles) must be removed from the garage while the torch is in use.