Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Graphite + Kiln question

*Naos*
2007-12-13, 12:41pm
Does graphite survive in a kiln at 1500 degrees?

menty666
2007-12-13, 12:47pm
I don't know, I've wanted to try fusing in it myself, but I'd guess that it would break down pretty quickly. Given the carbon on a piece of glass burns off at high temps (around 1000 I believe) I can't imagine that high temps would be kind to graphite (aka carbon).

*Naos*
2007-12-13, 12:48pm
That's what I was thinking - just wasn't sure... :)

evilglass
2007-12-13, 2:56pm
Well, doing some research on it-since we use graphite tools and all....

The melting point of graphite looks to be over 3500 degrees C. I've got a site saying that's over 6400 degrees F.

I think you're safe with it :)

*Naos*
2007-12-13, 3:11pm
I guess all I can do is try it? Don't want to ruin a graphite mold though...someone wanna ruin one for me? LOL JK!

Norskiglass
2007-12-13, 3:12pm
http://www.winshipdesigns.com/home/ws3/page_1091_57/graphite_kiln_liner_aim_96j.html

They protect the floor of the kiln as well! @ 1500deg...............its worth the $9 to give it a try lol!

~W~

MaryBeth
2007-12-13, 3:35pm
I took a Loren Stump class where we all placed some components on a graphite plate to be garaged at 1050 for use in about an hour.

Well, the components were used and the plate was forgotton about - for around 8 hours. It was discovered when the kiln was being ramped down for the evening.

It was a huge mess! The graphite was just crumbling all over the kiln!

The graphite plate was ruined and the kiln floor was a mess. It was a huge $300.00 graphite plate - not some cheap junk.

I wouldn't do it. At the least it will ruin your mold. At worst it will ruin your kiln.

Norskiglass
2007-12-13, 5:29pm
I took a...........

The graphite plate was ruined and the kiln floor was a mess. It was a huge $300.00 graphite plate - not some cheap junk.

The graphite liners are thin sheets ~to keep kiln dust off the glass. A thick graphite plate would be asking for it (no matter the cost)

~For fusing use a ceramic kiln shelf coated in kiln wash.

~To cast in graphite... NO. try a silica/plaster relief mold. One shot deal.

Hope that helps!

~I was tired this a.m. an had thought you wanted to put a graphite plate in your kiln.....not a mold. :rolleyes:

ArtcoInc
2007-12-13, 5:50pm
The maker of the graphite tools I carry wrote this:

http://www.artcoinc.com/graphite_oxidation.php

Bottom line: graphite will break down at elevated temperatures if oxygen is available.

But, if you can pull a vacuum in your kiln, the graphite would be fine :)

Malcolm

Raven Wylder
2007-12-13, 5:58pm
Hehehehe, Malcolm, I can just imagine a mini-turbo pump attached to the side of a kiln.

ArtcoInc
2007-12-13, 6:57pm
Hehehehe, Malcolm, I can just imagine a mini-turbo pump attached to the side of a kiln.

Brings new meaning to the expression, "Fusing sucks", doesn't it? :)

Malcolm

menty666
2007-12-13, 8:07pm
Where'd my frit go? *scratch scratch* :)

SteveWright
2007-12-13, 8:39pm
I had that idea several years ago. I got a sheet of top quality graphite and the first fuse was great. The second fuse was a disaster. The entire sheet turned into powder. When I opened the kiln the powder went everywhere. I was covered head to toe before I get the mess cleaned up. It was one giant, chocolatey mess.

Steve

Starrr
2007-12-14, 2:25am
Just curious, wouldn't the graphite change the atmosphere of your kiln in future firings?
If graphite is carbon and carbon is suppose to create a reducing effect in your kiln, would the kiln still have a residue that would change the enviornment of the kiln, maybe absorb into the fire brick?

I purchased a seperate kiln for PMC because I read somewhere that the burning off of the silver could effect reactions with the metals in glass if you used the same kiln for annealing glass and PMC.

Anyone know the scoop, I find this subject very interesting.

SteveWright
2007-12-15, 10:33am
I'm still using the kiln that I totally trashed with the graphite. What a mess, but no residual ill effects.

Steve