Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : momka Question pistachio

onebizebee
2007-12-16, 6:51pm
I made some beads the other day with momka's pistachio I used a clear footprint first then added the pistachio the rolled in some frit Then encased with clear. Went directly from the torch to the kiln. It looks like they thermal cracked. I know the beads were at the right temp when they went in. When I took them out they had cracked.
Any thoughts on this? Also any other Momka glass that does not like to be encased or be directly on the mandrel? Any of the other brands of glass notorious crackers as well?
Thank you for your time!
Kelly

e. mort
2007-12-16, 7:04pm
I made some beads the other day with momka's pistachio I used a clear footprint first then added the pistachio the rolled in some frit Then encased with clear. Went directly from the torch to the kiln. It looks like they thermal cracked. I know the beads were at the right temp when they went in. When I took them out they had cracked.
Any thoughts on this? Also any other Momka glass that does not like to be encased or be directly on the mandrel? Any of the other brands of glass notorious crackers as well?
Thank you for your time!
Kelly

I have heard that there seems to some sort of a compatibility issue with the pistachio. I have decided to avoid it until it is resolved.

onebizebee
2007-12-17, 7:31am
thank you! I will keep my eye open for more info about this.

joebirder
2007-12-19, 6:58pm
pistachio is the best white out there for imposions.. It is awesome.. It does have to be reworked to get ride of the air bubbles in it.. Never used it in full rod form, I always pull into stringers..

glassroger
2007-12-20, 11:53am
I used the Momka pistachio color in one of my sculptures and had the same problem. I like to mix my boro colors with clear to dilute them and also extend them so the color lasts longer. Much the same as Milon Townsend and Doug Remschnieder do. The pistachio color cracked in the sculpture and in the rods that I mixed, so I assume there is a compatibility issue with that color? It might not have the problem if it is used in small amounts, like dots or stringers? I haven't had time to play with it again, but I am glad to know that I am not the only person experiencing problems with the pistachio color.

jjglass
2007-12-20, 9:58pm
My experience is the same as Joe's, mixed and pulled into stringers, I've had no cracking or checking when it is deep encased. I have not done any sculpture work with it, so I'm not sure how it does in that application.