Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Where to buy Austin Thin Films Dichrolux/Dichro Magic boro dichro?

Magicbobcat
2007-12-30, 8:47pm
Hello,
I got a sample of the Dichrolux and love it. It seems like Austin Thin Films only sells wholesale, though. Does anyone know who has the boro dichro from them in stock?
Thanks,
Kelly

Cosmo
2007-12-31, 6:30am
I'd just use CBS or Dichroic Alchemy if it were me...

Magicbobcat
2007-12-31, 7:40am
Hi Cosmo, LOVE your marbles.

I'm fairly new to lampworking, so it may be my inexperience with working with dichro here. Any advice you can give me would be really appreciated.

I have some boro from ABRImagery. When I compare the marbles I made with that to the two I made with the Austin stuff they look very different. The ABR dichro (salmon and rainbow) looks like a lot of little broken needles and chips floating around. It's not white and snowy looking, so I don't think I burned it. The Austin dichro looks more like a solid, deep field of sparkling color. I can see individual "needles" of dichro in there if I look close, but they're much smaller and more densely packed together. I like the way these look much better.

So I guess my question is can I get the same result from the ABR product? Do I need to work it more gently somehow? The Austin dichro is advertised as being less sensitive to temp, etc.

As I said, I'm pretty new to all this. Any advice you can give would be really great. I've been lampworking for about 4 months, and working with dichro for only a few weeks.

Thanks!
Kelly

Cosmo
2007-12-31, 8:30am
I'm not sure what ABR sells. I question the quality of it. Get a piece of DA Starship or a piece of CBS Rainbow and I think you'll be most impressed. I have used the Austin before, and was not very impressed. It doesn't hold up to heat very well, and tends to lose color.

DA Grass Green would also be a good color to try. I think that is probably the hardest color to burn that there is. I can stick the coated side directly in the flame without burning it off.

Magicbobcat
2007-12-31, 8:53am
Thanks, I'm off to do some shopping.
Kelly

menty666
2007-12-31, 8:07pm
I'm sure after that article in the latest The Flow Austin Thin Film is going to get a whole lotta business :)

e. mort
2008-01-01, 7:55am
I met the owners at a show here in Austin, and they have supposedly improved their dichroic coating a lot. I haven't tried it yet though.

I get my Dichroic from Trev's Glass, and I have been really happy with it.

kiko
2008-01-01, 3:43pm
This is such a timely thread as I have been trying out some different dichro. I purchased from Trev's as well. They are great to deal with and you get get a nice oz strip to try out without investing $$$$ in a sheet. Interested to hear what others favorite patterns/colors are? Perhaps a little show and tell?

Wondering if others kiln set their dichro at 1050 and encase the coating side in clear?

Thanks! lori

e. mort
2008-01-01, 7:45pm
This is such a timely thread as I have been trying out some different dichro. I purchased from Trev's as well. They are great to deal with and you get get a nice oz strip to try out without investing $$$$ in a sheet. Interested to hear what others favorite patterns/colors are? Perhaps a little show and tell?

Wondering if others kiln set their dichro at 1050 and encase the coating side in clear?

Thanks! lori

My favorite Dichroics from Trev's are Feather Duster, Harbor Forest, and Golden Sunset.

Cosmo
2008-01-02, 7:57am
The stuff from Trevs glass is CBS.

kiko
2008-01-02, 8:13am
Thanks Eric and Cosmo. The CBS seems to hold up well in the flame. I will try some D.A. next.

e. mort
2008-01-02, 1:39pm
DA is also make by CBS.

ginko
2008-01-02, 1:49pm
Austin Thin Films developed a very durable coating last year. I was fortunate to test some early samples. It kicks CBS, and I like CBS. The new formula is nearly burn-resistant. Have not tried boro, but I have used the 96 and 104 COE's a lot.
Guess I am saying that if you have not tried them recently, you might want to take a second look. You'll want the DichroLux, which is the high fire dichro.

kiko
2008-01-02, 3:27pm
DA is also make by CBS.

They are one and the same? How confusing?

Anne Ricketts
2008-01-02, 3:31pm
Austin Thin Films developed a very durable coating last year. I was fortunate to test some early samples. It kicks CBS, and I like CBS. The new formula is nearly burn-resistant. Have not tried boro, but I have used the 96 and 104 COE's a lot.
Guess I am saying that if you have not tried them recently, you might want to take a second look. You'll want the DichroLux, which is the high fire dichro.

Hmm, looks like I need to run over there. I bought some of their scrap years ago and it was not the best stuff! They used to be 5 mins from me and then they moved! :pout:

Cosmo
2008-01-02, 4:52pm
DA is also make by CBS.

Really? Jay Frodo (the guy that runs DA) told me they made it themselves. He even explained to me how they did it. Weird...

e. mort
2008-01-02, 6:35pm
Really? Jay Frodo (the guy that runs DA) told me they made it themselves. He even explained to me how they did it. Weird...

Jay may have come up with the patterns, and chosen the colors for each layer, but it is my understanding that the coating is still done by CBS.

Eric

sunray
2008-01-03, 11:51am
You are right CBS makes ours at Trev's and DA
They are the ones with the Million Dollar Machines that do this.
We just pick our pattern mixes,colors and COE's

Vapor Glass
2008-04-10, 2:08pm
cbs makes cbs and DA makes DA

but DA also distributes cbs. to clarify....
both of which are awesome dichro manufacturers.
i prefer to use either rainbows from either company. they yield the "needles"
only the rainbows have that effect.

now for the topic at hand... where to buy austin films? you got me... i dont know.

Mr. Smiley
2008-04-10, 4:37pm
From what i understand, Austin Thin Films is the shizzle. Will has been working with it and he says you just can't burn it out. I'm going to try some. ;)

e. mort
2008-04-10, 6:31pm
From what i understand, Austin Thin Films is the shizzle. Will has been working with it and he says you just can't burn it out. I'm going to try some. ;)

I watched Will Menzies demo some at Bluemoon glassworks here in Austin. He seemed to like it a lot, but I think he prefers it also because it is "Made in Texas" or so he said. :lol:

Here is a link with a list of their Distributors http://www.dichromagic.com/Distributors.htm

I am still using my big old stash of Dichroic from Trevs Glass which I have been really happy with. I haven't burned out a piece yet, and I am pretty hard on the stuff sometimes.