Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Torch suggestions please

lysdexia9
2008-02-04, 8:14am
I am a beginner bead/marble maker and right now I am using just a basic torch you can buy at Lowes just to mess around. But I am really into glass and want to get serious. Plus I am held back a lot by this torch. I can't make marbles the size I want and it takes a while to shape beads and marbles. So I have been looking for a torch I can upgrade on. I have found two that most people are saying are good and decent priced beginner torches. But this was on the Melting Pot, I have decided to see if I can get better results with people who are mostly involved with beads and maybe marbles. I have looked at these two torches...

http://www.mountainglassarts.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1332/.f

http://www.mountainglassarts.com/s.nl/it.A/id.613/.f

Both seem to be within a really good price range and I find a lot of people on Youtube using them. But I want to hear from you guys. I am also looking into buying a future kiln. I hear some people are able to get good deals on eBay, is this something I should look into?? Thank you for taking the time to read this!!!

Also, please if you can think of another torch that is better, please feel free to tell.

glassactcc
2008-02-04, 8:22am
Well, here's what happened to me. I started with the Mini CC and I quickly grew out of it. I make very large beads. I would suggest you also check out the National 8M with interchangable tips. It has three and goes from small medium to large. If your planning on doing large pieces, the other two torches might be too small. There are a lot of lampworkers who make large beads on these torches, but it was too slow for me and too much of a dance trying to keep the whole thing hot in such a small flame.

G.L.McBead
2008-02-04, 6:09pm
The Mini cc is a great torch,thats what I used for the the first year or so,I now have a Knight Bullet.
You will want 2 concentrators or tank for the Mini.
Have fun,
G.

paintingwithglass
2008-02-07, 6:37pm
Bobcat...Lynx...or Phantom..

It really depends on your budget...what is your budget? and which types of glass are you interested in? with marbles you probably want a Phantom....

bclogan
2008-02-07, 7:35pm
A Piranha is a great little torch. And there are still some to be found.

Iwantonetoo
2008-02-08, 7:41am
I can't help you on the torch, as I am too new to lampwork to offer any advice on this, but I have been fusing for quite some time.

As for the kilns, I purchased Jen-Ken's for my larger, and then found bluebird by paragon which I love, and clayking has great customer service.
great prices. of course they have other kilns, but here is the link to my preference for the beads.

http://www.clay-king.com/itempbluebird.htm

hope this helps,

Sheri

Norskiglass
2008-02-14, 1:48pm
I would have to say the mini cc is a great start for you and that is the best price around by far!

ldean
2008-02-15, 11:14am
I'm also looking to upgrade from my hot head and am interested in the Knight Bullet, but I can't seem to find an specifications.
What's it take to run one?

bclogan
2008-02-15, 1:10pm
I'm also looking to upgrade from my hot head and am interested in the Knight Bullet, but I can't seem to find an specifications.
What's it take to run one?

Chad (Cosmo) sells them. You could ask him. He might not see this...

earlbacher
2008-02-15, 8:10pm
go as big a you can afford... depending on how big you want to eventually go...