Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Single Stage or Two Stage Regulator?

hotflashpenny
2008-02-11, 4:25pm
I can't figure out what the difference is between a single and two stage regulator. I am looking for a regulator to hook up to a propane tank. Do I need a two stage regulator for propane? The more I look into this the more confused I get.

Thanks,
Penny#-o

Dale M.
2008-02-11, 5:25pm
A single stage regulator has one diaphragm for regulating pressure and usually run $60-$80.... A two stage regulator has a diaphragm to bring down tank pressure to an intermediate pressure, then second regulation diaphragm that brings pressure down to actual working pressure. Two stage regulators usually run about $200 or more...

A single stage regulator is more than sufficient for what you want to do. Almost any FUEL regulator with a CGA-510 connection on it will work for you.

http://www.concoa.com/index.php?pagetype=showRef&id=11&ref=10&cga=510

Most popular regulator is from welding industry, what you want is a ACETYLENE regulator for gas welding.

More information about regulators....

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8

If your pressure requirements are small (same as gas appliances) even a simple "pancake' regulator used for gas BBQ's my be sufficient.

Dale

hotflashpenny
2008-02-11, 6:14pm
Thanks for the info!

Penny

botree
2008-02-12, 7:07pm
Get a two stage with two gauges. The one I bought at a welding supply place cost me around $60. I don't know what you would get for $200 but you would not need it. The single gauge might be enough, but I like being able to see what is going to the torch and more than that I can adjust the pressure and see what is happening. I got out my invoice for hose.25 feet 1/4" I D twin grade T with screw on connectors for $25 plus $2 for taxes. The two gauge regulator for fuel/propane was $55. These prices should hold where ever you are in the contiguous U.S.
Hope this helps...Bo

Dale M.
2008-02-13, 8:38am
Get a two stage with two gauges. The one I bought at a welding supply place cost me around $60. I don't know what you would get for $200 but you would not need it. The single gauge might be enough, but I like being able to see what is going to the torch and more than that I can adjust the pressure and see what is happening. I got out my invoice for hose.25 feet 1/4" I D twin grade T with screw on connectors for $25 plus $2 for taxes. The two gauge regulator for fuel/propane was $55. These prices should hold where ever you are in the contiguous U.S.
Hope this helps...Bo

WHOA..... A TWO STAGE regulator is very much different from a SINGLE STAGE regulator. It has NOTHING to do with how many gauges a regulator may have. BOTH single stage regulator or a two stage regulator may have the OPTION to have one or two gauges... . The difference of ONE or TWO GAUGE regulators is only about $10-$15 for the COST of additional gauge. A regulator with one gauge only has ability to read outlet pressure supplied to torch. A two gauge regulator can read outlet pressure to torch and also tank pressure.

Dale

botree
2008-02-13, 8:36pm
WHOA!

Penny, just go to a welding supply house if you can find one. Get the regulator they suggest, the proper hoses, and don use a pancake regulator as it won't have the correct type of hose you need.
Of course, try to know what you want in a regulator first. I don't think they will mislead you but you never know. It happens on this forum all the time.
Good luck. It won't be hard to get what you need...Bo