Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Now accepting Tutorials for LE Donations UPDATED!!

Pages : [1] 2

Lizabeads
2005-11-20, 2:55pm
Please read the following.
Tutorials are now being accepted to compile in a booklet and will be distributed to donators for the LE site.
If you don't want to see your beads on ebay or justbeads please do not send a tutorial.
Only send your OWN tutorial, please do not send someone elses or a copywrited tutorial unless it is by you.
You may send it in a word.doc or pdf form as an attachment, with pictures if you can, if not that is ok too.
It doesn't matter if we get 10 different ways to make a round bead... something that works for one person might not work for another. The more the merrier....
I want to accept these until the end of July.
You can send as many as you would like to.
Please Please Please don't send one that you don't want to see pop up somewhere else...
PM me and I'll give you my email address to send them to...
Thanks...:waving:

Lizabeads
2005-12-01, 7:06pm
Please start sending your tutorials to Lizabeads@aol.com THANKS

Lizabeads
2006-07-01, 2:25pm
Ok I've set the date for the end of July to finish this up... Please send your tutorials !!

Cosmo
2006-07-17, 12:56pm
If we sent one earlier to Corri, do we need to send it again to you?

Ever After
2006-07-30, 7:52am
lol of course i waited till the last day!!! but im going out right this very minute to get this done!!!!
xo laurie

Lizabeads
2006-07-30, 3:01pm
If we sent one earlier to Corri, do we need to send it again to you?

Well it would help if it were sent straight to me... I'm hoping to get some that aren't in the tutorial section too.

Laurie... It's ok... I'm extending it a week because I have several that have promised tutorials that will be worth the wait... so don't get all rushed thinking today is the last day...
Ok the new date will be the 7th of August and that should give everyone time. I know I have one that will be after that...

I have a marble....roses, twisties, encasing, implosion, and some other things so really whatever you can do we need.

Laurie L
2006-08-07, 1:44pm
So does the tut book come out August 7th or is that just the deadline for them to be submitted ???

Lizabeads
2006-08-07, 2:20pm
Today is the last day to get them in. I have one VERY SPECIAL one that I won't get until around the 11th. Then it will take a few days to get it all in order...

sleekbeads
2006-08-09, 7:20am
Cannot wait to see this Liza.
I know you've been working a very long time on this.. with frustrating results.
Let us know when it's ready, I want one!
:) Thank YOU!!!

squid
2006-08-14, 11:35am
Is it soup yet?

I am really looking forward to getting this!

Lizabeads
2006-08-14, 12:00pm
Not yet still waiting on a few...lol Soon I hope !!

Rose Leslie
2006-08-14, 1:17pm
Sorry that I didn't get you one.It has been way to hot to do any torching at all here. Sorry again.

bubblebabeuk
2006-08-18, 2:42pm
So how do you get your hands on one of these booklets exactly then? Sorry for the daft Newbie question! it sounds like it could be a good book to have!

Just Nancy
2006-08-18, 3:43pm
I'm not positive but I believe there will be a small donation to LE and then you will be e-mailed the file in your choice of a couple formats. (I've been wrong before so don't quote me.) I think the donation was to be around $10 to help cover the costs of this forum.

I keep checking in to see if the details have been posted. I'm guessing they'll post with sparklers and fireworks to be sure we all see it. (hoping anyway.)

Karen Hardy
2006-08-18, 3:54pm
Rather than sending out an email file - what about using one of those online publishers? I've used lulu.com for several of my ebooks and they came out great. Plus you can set the amount (over the cost of the book) that you want to make on each book. For example, my book was $14.00 to print and I wanted to make $10 each book - so when people bought it they were charged $24 plus a small shipping fee. Personally, I'd rather pay a few extra bucks and get something of high quality (I had my books done spiral bound so they lay flat when people opened them).

PM me if you want any details on this. It's so easy it's amazing.

Lizabeads
2006-08-21, 9:07pm
Rather than sending out an email file - what about using one of those online publishers? I've used lulu.com for several of my ebooks and they came out great. Plus you can set the amount (over the cost of the book) that you want to make on each book. For example, my book was $14.00 to print and I wanted to make $10 each book - so when people bought it they were charged $24 plus a small shipping fee. Personally, I'd rather pay a few extra bucks and get something of high quality (I had my books done spiral bound so they lay flat when people opened them).

PM me if you want any details on this. It's so easy it's amazing.

Sounds like a great idea but I will leave that up to CorriDawn.
I'm sad to say I've had a little set back but am still working on the tutorials as we speak. I found out last week that I still have a fractured coccyx... from last December so I am to spend more time laying down and not sitting. But I am still working on it. Sorry ya'll

burntfingers
2006-08-24, 10:57am
Hope you feel better soon Elizabeth! I know that I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the tutorials! LOL!

FordGirlGoneBad
2006-08-24, 12:45pm
Hope you feel better soon Elizabeth! I know that I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the tutorials! LOL!

Ditto, ditto, ditto! I've got my glass, mandrels are dipped and dry, sparker is in my hand! (oh, and paypal account ready!).:lol:

Jalve's mom
2006-09-06, 10:41am
Count me in!. I can't wait to see the new tuts!!! I have my laptop just sitting here ready to link up to paypal. :-)

Carol

PondRacer
2006-09-06, 12:48pm
My hope is that you also accept other forms of payment, as paypal sucks (imho) for me.

I prefer to never use paypal after they screwed me twice (once on my hosting provider's side, therefore screwing up subscription payment plan, and again when i tried to change address after I moved and they would have nothing of it)

PondRacer

Laurie L
2006-09-15, 9:54pm
How is this coming along ??????

squid
2006-09-21, 10:32am
I was wondering the same thing myself.....

Lizabeads
2006-09-22, 3:05pm
It is almost done... just needs indexing.. I am going to have to send it to Corri Dawn to finish putting together. I hate to do that because I really wanted to finish what I had started but with my DD getting married in less than a month and the coccyx problems I am just not able to complete it. I want to thank those that sent in tutorials or gave permission to use the ones that were already published. I had also announced that I had a special one I was waiting on to finish this. Sadly that one fell through for various reasons. I really hate that but that is the way it goes sometimes. This has been weighing heavily on my mind because I started this and I wanted to be the one to finish it and do something special for LE. But, as we all know sometimes things just don't work out the way we want them to. CorriDawn will either finish putting it together or will get someone to do it and I appreciate the help. Again, I'm sorry I'm not able to complete this at this time.:(

Pat
2006-09-23, 11:28am
Liza...don't worry about it someone will pick up the ball and get it finished off. You did all the headache part. Sorry to hear you have a broken butt....you know you already had a crack in it!!

No really hope it gets better real soon, I don't know how you get thru a day with that sort of constant pain.

Lizabeads
2006-09-28, 8:31pm
Thank You... I have worried and worried about this thing. I guess CorriDawn received them. I haven't heard from her yeah or neigh... I really appreciate everyone's understanding the predicament I'm in. I just have one more crack than most folks!! Does that make me special? Damn I'd rather be normal !!

lldesigns
2006-10-10, 5:07pm
I'm missing something. Where can I make a donation?

Lizabeads
2006-10-10, 9:46pm
I'm missing something. Where can I make a donation?

I'm not sure what is going on. I had to send the tutorials to CorriDawn on about 9/22 and haven't heard if she even got them. So hopefully she will see this and let us know. I thought she was going to find someone to make the index and it would be ready to go. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Tropical Heat
2006-10-27, 12:21pm
I'd like to make a donation and receive a copy too. Will someone please post in family room to make sure we all know when it is ready! I don't often come in this room.

Lizabeads
2006-10-27, 1:40pm
I just PM'd CorriDawn making sure she got them in an email I sent her and asking if she had found someone to finish putting it together. So maybe she will respond in here soon. I let her know people were still interested in it...:waving:

Just Nancy
2006-10-27, 2:52pm
I'd still volunteer to help if I could in some way. Not sure I want to coordinate a second round of tutorials, but I'd do anything I could.

Next time someone nudge me and I'll try to have my kaleidoscope one ready.

Ever After
2006-11-03, 11:45am
I'm readyyyyyyyyyyyy, lol bring it onnnnnnnnnn

Lizabeads
2006-11-03, 4:44pm
When I asked CorriDawn the other day she said she hasn't had time to do anything with it.

Miss Kate
2006-11-12, 7:52pm
I'm still interested too! Keep us posted!

Miss Kate

Megan
2006-11-12, 9:36pm
If you need someone to put the PDF file together with all the tutorials, I would volunteer.. Just let me know!!

Lizabeads
2006-11-12, 10:08pm
Well with her in the hospital and all I'm just not sure about anything. I will say when she gets home and is taking email you could email her and tell her you will do it for her. I think that she will not be up to that for awhile...:waving:

FordGirlGoneBad
2006-12-06, 5:18pm
Any updates on Corri or the LE tutoria booklet???=P~

Lizabeads
2006-12-06, 6:30pm
I was thinking about this the other day. I have no clue! Maybe you could ask CorriDawn and get back to the rest of us.....

cherie
2006-12-10, 7:24am
Hows the tutorial coming along...I would be sooo interested!

CraftymissKim
2006-12-10, 7:39am
Did this happen.
Thanks
Kim

Debi
2006-12-10, 10:24am
I was thinking about this the other day. I have no clue! Maybe you could ask CorriDawn and get back to the rest of us.....

Wasn't this your project ?

squid
2006-12-10, 12:09pm
I think if you read back in the thread, all the material was sent to Corri. I don't believe it has moved from there.

Wendyki
2006-12-20, 10:16pm
I want one when they are ready :) I dont mind donating this forum has helped me bunches and bunches

adee
2006-12-23, 8:27pm
Ditto here!! Thanks:)

Miss Kate
2006-12-24, 10:47am
Triple ditto here! (If there is such a thing)
Miss Kate

adee
2006-12-27, 10:14pm
Yep, there is Kate, you just invented it!! Ehehe...good for you!:)

jana
2007-01-17, 7:46pm
Is this EVER going to happen?

I am a computer programmer by day and consider myself very organized. I will help out in any way possible to bring this long awaited project to everyone.

P.S.
It looks like I will be layed up for a while with my back, so lots of time!

Lizabeads
2007-01-18, 12:59am
Is this EVER going to happen?

I am a computer programmer by day and consider myself very organized. I will help out in any way possible to bring this long awaited project to everyone.

P.S.
It looks like I will be layed up for a while with my back, so lots of time!

I understand what you are saying. All I can tell you is to contact CorriDawn. I sent all the information to her early September. I am just as curious as all of you I guess because believe it or not I put alot of hard work into this. I PM'd people, emailed, kept posting begging for tutorials. Some just flat out told me no, that they didn't want to support LE, others gave permission to use tutorials that were already published elsewhere. I went to several sites and accumulated tutorials. I find it very disheartening that it seems to have just died where it sits. I'm sorry that all of you have been looking forward to this and haven't gotten it before now. Even if it does contain alot of tutorials that are/were already out there, they are combined to where it would be easier to look one up. I just don't know what to say other than I'm sorry I've done what I could do.:cry:

jana
2007-01-18, 4:42am
You worked your butt off and deserve many kudos!

It was a huge undertaking with so much of your time dedicated to it. It is a shame to have just been set aside when so many people want it so much.

Of all the fund raising for LE (lottery, holiday mall, donation button), I think this one would be the most fruitful. It's not limited to just one drawing of a prize or a shopping season....this is something everyone here wants and will continue to generate donations as new people discover lampworking and LE.

Elizabeth, you are appreciated!

LyndaJ
2007-01-18, 7:49am
It would be great if there could be a collaborative between CorriDawn (LE) and one of the publishing groups that we've seen books from here. Like Brad Pearson's books. That way some of the sale profits could come back to LE, and we'd get a full color, bound collection of the tutorials. AND since those books sell to an even wider audience than LE, maybe even MORE money would come back to the site...

swamper
2007-01-18, 9:59am
A way for LE to make money

http://www.lulu.com/

Lizabeads
2007-01-19, 11:43am
You worked your butt off and deserve many kudos!

It was a huge undertaking with so much of your time dedicated to it. It is a shame to have just been set aside when so many people want it so much.

Of all the fund raising for LE (lottery, holiday mall, donation button), I think this one would be the most fruitful. It's not limited to just one drawing of a prize or a shopping season....this is something everyone here wants and will continue to generate donations as new people discover lampworking and LE.

Elizabeth, you are appreciated!

Thank you Jana, but I did it because I wanted to do something to help LE. I didn't have any money I could donate so I thought that donating my time while doing something to help everyone else was a good idea. Thanks again for the kind words. :waving:

Lizabeads
2007-01-19, 11:46am
It would be great if there could be a collaborative between CorriDawn (LE) and one of the publishing groups that we've seen books from here. Like Brad Pearson's books. That way some of the sale profits could come back to LE, and we'd get a full color, bound collection of the tutorials. AND since those books sell to an even wider audience than LE, maybe even MORE money would come back to the site...

Sounds like a good idea, BUT she would have to get permission from each artist to publish it in print. I only asked for it to be used or sent by email or CD. Not sure if that makes a difference but I would think that it would be proper to ask before putting it in print like that.

CorriDawn
2007-01-22, 5:14pm
Believe it or not, we are not in this to make money, if we were, then I am telling you that we are in the wrong business. We could make a lot more elsewhere.

We do not wish to publish or sell anything. It is a pain in the butt to do that. We do not have the time or desire to do that.

As of right now, we probably will not be doing anything with the tutorials, it is not worth the time to compile it into a usable format. Most of the tutorials are already out there and easily searchable on the site. In fact, there is a nice index in the tutorial section of the site which has links to easily find many different tutorials.

Just Nancy
2007-01-22, 5:23pm
As I read the suggestions I figured we shouldn't assume Corri and Jason wanted to take on more than they are.

But, I thought the tutorial thing via e-mail or CD had been agreed to. Bummer it is going on hold. Guess I should be glad I will move away from my dial up in a month or so (if the antenna reaches here).

lwilson21
2007-01-22, 6:40pm
I was under the impression that there were new, not as yet published tutorials gathered for this project. Do you know if the people who contributed are willing to post their tutorials in the Tutorials section instead? Bummer, especially after the work that was put into it right up to this point, and lots of us waiting and checking status off and on for several months. It seems a shame to just drop it at this point. And I thought I just read a thread recently about some other project to generate donations for LE?

Leah

CorriDawn
2007-01-22, 9:23pm
There is an auction going on right now since Sharon Peters donated a fish and some other people donated items for it. We do auctions like that every once in awhile when people donate the items. That is the only thing going on right now to generate money to support the site.

Laurie L
2007-01-22, 10:30pm
So is this tutorial book a no go ???

Lizabeads
2007-01-22, 10:59pm
This is the link to the poll that was done in Nov. 2005. http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7762&page=2&highlight=Tutorials+for+LE It was agreed to be done by Corri. I emailed, PM'd and begged for tutorials. I was promised alot I didn't get. I got quite a few. Some were new, most not, but they are all in one file and need an index. I still think it was a good idea and could make some money. If LE doesn't need money then why are auctions being done, and why is it in siggy lines? I'm sorry that Corri is so disapointed in the results. I tried my best. I even told her who was willing to help do the indexing for it when it was sent to her. Jana has offered to make an index for it and I think I will send it to her and then maybe we can get it out to ya'll only now I guess there will be no donation to LE it will just be free for the asking. So let me get this to Jana and give her time to index it and then we will start sending it out to those that want it. I'm sorry this has taken so long but as I stated before in here it was like pulling hens teeth getting them. I had some that sent them then asked me not to use them for various reasons. I had some promised that never came through. I will probably be banned after this but I don't care. I say what I think. Right now I wish I still had all my emails and PM's to lets say this sites administration. POKE ME WITH A FORK I"M DONE !! Why can't I learn not to say what I think??? :shtf:
(after I send out these tutorials)
Elizabeth

As I read the suggestions I figured we shouldn't assume Corri and Jason wanted to take on more than they are.

But, I thought the tutorial thing via e-mail or CD had been agreed to. Bummer it is going on hold. Guess I should be glad I will move away from my dial up in a month or so (if the antenna reaches here).

Just Nancy
2007-01-23, 7:08am
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply anything negative about you. I know you worked very hard on this. I think everyone knows that.

Apparently the auctions are generating enough money to cover the bills at this time.

CorriDawn
2007-01-23, 11:51am
I did not agree to do this project. I agreed to look at it. I did look at it and decide it was not worth the time it would take to index and distribute this on an ongoing basis.

Thank you for the work that you did Lizabeads. I did tell you that it was ok for you to take on this project. I am sorry that it was unable to be finished. If I had been asked from the beginning if you could gather tutorials and then send all of the stuff to me to finish then I would have said no.

As far as tutorials go, I have a whole section for them. I provide them for free with the option of people donating money if they find them helpful or feel like it. LE is a free service that runs off of the ad money and donations. I did not say LE does not need money, nor did I say that it does. We provide information for free and let people make their own choices as to if they would like to donate or not.

If you plan on distributing the tutorials anyways please make sure that you contact the people who provided them to make sure that they still give you permission since it has been so long and since you are now distributing them in a way that was not originally agreed upon between you and the tutorial providers.

This was your project, not LE's project.

Cracked Baubble
2007-01-23, 11:58am
Once it's been compiled and indexed (and all permissions have been granted) I can host a pdf version

Just Nancy
2007-01-23, 3:14pm
I was trying to think of how else these could be used to generate funds, keep the original intent agreed to with the creators, and not be a time issue for Corri and Jason. I'm not coming up with much. As good as I can think is on someone's site for access after a donation is made, or someone else mailing the CD's. But proof of a donation is still an issue.

Guess it's time to let the idea fade away.

Karen Hardy
2007-01-23, 3:20pm
I don't think it should fade away.
I can make it work.
I PM'd Elizabeth and Corri.

Just Nancy
2007-01-23, 3:32pm
I'll volunteer to do anything I can.

Lizabeads
2007-01-25, 8:23am
Karen have you heard back from CorriDawn ? I can get it all to you if you think you want to tackle contacting all the "owners" of the tutorials. When I took this on I had no idea that I would fall and break my tail bone and my daughter would decide she wanted to plan a wedding. Had I forseen all that I would not have taken it on, but then again I never dreamed it would take so long to get them. I know there is a great one that Lavender Creek sent me that had not been published at that time. I still don't think it has. I can't imagine the "Owners" minding that we combine them for distribution for free since they have already made most of them available elsewhere. I wish this were still a sticky at least until we figure out where it is going. Or maybe not being a sticky is telling us something...

Karen Hardy
2007-01-25, 8:51am
Corri emailed me and I am still eagerly waiting to hear back from her with a
yes or no. As soon as I have the files in my hand, I can go over them and see what I have to work with. Unless it's all in Sanskrit or ancient Babalonian, it shouldn't be that hard.

Until I get them though, I am siting here with my hand planted firmly against my tuchas. :pout:

Karen have you heard back from CorriDawn ? I can get it all to you if you think you want to tackle contacting all the "owners" of the tutorials. When I took this on I had no idea that I would fall and break my tail bone and my daughter would decide she wanted to plan a wedding. Had I forseen all that I would not have taken it on, but then again I never dreamed it would take so long to get them. I know there is a great one that Lavender Creek sent me that had not been published at that time. I still don't think it has. I can't imagine the "Owners" minding that we combine them for distribution for free since they have already made most of them available elsewhere. I wish this were still a sticky at least until we figure out where it is going. Or maybe not being a sticky is telling us something...

Lizabeads
2007-01-25, 10:10am
Corri emailed me and I am still eagerly waiting to hear back from her with a
yes or no. As soon as I have the files in my hand, I can go over them and see what I have to work with. Unless it's all in Sanskrit or ancient Babalonian, it shouldn't be that hard.

Until I get them though, I am siting here with my hand planted firmly against my tuchas. :pout:

Who are you wanting to send them to you me or Corri?

(stop wiggling your fingers !!)

LyndaJ
2007-01-25, 10:24am
Didn't some of the folks submit floral tutorials to this tutorial compilation after the "other site" floral booklet fell through? I can't do good florals and could certainly use the help :)

meadowesky
2007-01-25, 11:04am
I would still love to see the tutorials.
If there is any way I can help, let me know

Karen Hardy
2007-01-25, 12:04pm
Who are you wanting to send them to you me or Corri?

(stop wiggling your fingers !!)

I don't know who is officially in charge of this - so at this point I am
sitting firmly on my shoulders waiting for anyone to answer.

...and yes - I think that there are more than enough florals tutorials
available here to get a florals section. I can't guarentee anything
since at this point I'm not in the trenches - but if I can get
written approvals from the tutorials authors, I want to put this all
into a spiral bound softcover book and have it available within
a few weeks. (spiral bound is the way to go for tutorial books, since
they lay flat and you can look at them while torching).

LyndaJ
2007-01-25, 12:41pm
Karen ---- YOU ROCK

Karen Hardy
2007-01-25, 2:08pm
Karen ---- YOU ROCK

Wait till I put it together - then you can congratulate me.

All I can say in my own defense is that I am a really stubborn
SOB and I'm won't let it sit and grow mold. If I think that the
tutorials that are given to me are unworkable I WILL tell everybody.
However if I think it's good to go, I will make it work. And quickly.
Been there done this before.

I've been thinking of this along the lines of "what would I like to see
in a tutorials book" and I have a pretty good idea how this will be
presented. I personally hate ebooks and pdf files, because I want
to have something to put in front of me while I work, and have
the ability to make notes in the margins too.

My goal is to make this into a full color paperback book with a spiral
binding so it lays flat. I also want to include a few pages in the
back for advertising and coupons. The approximate price of a book
like this would be around $20-30, but if it goes over 100 pages that could
go higher than that. Again - this would have to be a value packed
book with enough tutorials and info (both old and new) to make it
worth that price. It would have to be something that I PERSONALLY
would be willing to buy.

A significant chunk of that would be going back to LE. I do not plan on
making any money on this myself (with the exception of any operating
expenses and perhaps skimming some money of the top to pay for a few
cappuccinos from Starbucks if I have to work past midnight. Indulge me).

Again - the quality of the book would depend entirely on the material I
am given to work with - if the stuff is blurry and crappy it won't print
well, and I won't work with it (and I WILL tell everyone why).
However, if it is decent quality, and I am able to secure written authorization
from the authors of the tutorials to present it in a book format for LE
than it can be accomplished fairly quickly.

And regarding getting it out to people, like I told others - I've managed MANY
bulk buys (last one ran over $10,000) and when any problems came up any
complaints were dealt with in a timely fashion. No one was left hanging, and
all problems were resolved to everyone's satisfaction. My communication skills
border on obsessive - I made sure everybody knew from minute to minute what
was going on. That's how you run things like this. Treat customers like you are
stalking them and everybody's happy.

Again....just sittin' 'round waiting for something to come my way......
Twiddle dee dee........

Lizabeads
2007-01-25, 11:41pm
I don't know who is officially in charge of this - so at this point I am
sitting firmly on my shoulders waiting for anyone to answer.You are now !!! hahahaha

...and yes - I think that there are more than enough florals tutorials
available here to get a florals section. I can't guarentee anything
since at this point I'm not in the trenchesOh, you are in the trenches you jumped in with both feet !! haha - but if I can get
written approvals from the tutorials authors, I want to put this all
into a spiral bound softcover book and have it available within
a few weeks. (spiral bound is the way to go for tutorial books, since
they lay flat and you can look at them while torching).

I am going to send you what I have. As I stated before I tried PM'n, emailing, everything I knew to get tutorials. What I am sending Karen is what I was provided with. She might can get more out of people than I can who knows. All I can say is Good Luck and Thank You !!=D>

lwilson21
2007-01-26, 12:18am
Karen, I'm so glad you are taking the ball and running with it! I would have hated to see the project fold when there was so much interest and enthusiasm. I don't know how I could help (computer dork, unfortunately) but I will be cheering vigorously from the sidelines...

Leah

born2snooze
2007-01-26, 3:46am
I kinda lost interest after waiting for awhile, but if the tut contained some of the floral tuts that were supposed to be published before, then I'm interested again! :D

Wendyki
2007-01-27, 7:49pm
I want to see this happen if for no other reason then to buy it :)

bead crazy
2007-01-27, 9:14pm
I want one I have been stalking this thread since it started so I sure hope something will come of it soon
I sure enjoy the tutorials on here but agree I would love to have something that I don't have to print out and keep spending money on ink it would sure be worth the money

meadowesky
2007-01-27, 9:30pm
Karen, you totally rock!

Karen Hardy
2007-01-28, 12:22am
Karen, you totally rock!

Well, I'm not making any promises yet - but if I pull this off
(and if I do a good job and you're all happy with me)
you all can RAOGK me till the cows come home.

...and of course, if I screw it up - well, I better get some
RAOGK packages ready to send to all of you 8-[

Hee, hee, hee - looking forward to the challenge. I've got
3 out of the 4 zipped files - waiting on one of them.
I don't want to look until everything is in front of me.

Also - if anybody has been "HOLDING OUT" on tutorials,
nows the time to send them to me.

I'd prefer them in an MS Word format - just because I can
very easily edit that and THEN change it into a PDF file for uploading to the
printers.

I'd also like for the people here that do any selling to start thinking of
what they would like to see for perhaps some advertising space in
the back of the book. Unless I encounter objections or problems, I'd
like to have vendor ads, coupons, guild info and anything else I
can dream up with my pretty red head.

I'm going to try and get to it tomorrow and see what I have in my hands
and then report back to everyone MY opinion of what we actually have,
what we need and what the time frame will be.

Oh, and just to throw a monkey wrench into all this crap, FYI - my internet
provider is running sanity checks (they shut down the system for no reason
and wait to see how f%$#cking crazy we all become) so if you don't hear
from me for a few days, it ain't cause there's any love lost. Just keep a mental
picture of me "removing unwanted bodily hair" (ripping the hair out of my head)
while I wait for Adelphia to get their shit together.

Lizabeads
2007-01-28, 12:29am
Do you think that is why #1 won't go through???

Oh, and just to throw a monkey wrench into all this crap, FYI - my internet
provider is running sanity checks (they shut down the system for no reason
and wait to see how f%$#cking crazy we all become) so if you don't hear
from me for a few days, it ain't cause there's any love lost. Just keep a mental
picture of me "removing unwanted bodily hair" (ripping the hair out of my head)
while I wait for Adelphia to get their shit together.

born2snooze
2007-01-29, 4:02pm
Karen, thank you so much for helping out with this project! I'm excited!

Can we know what will be on the book before we buy it? (When its done of course).

What about the floral book that never happen, can we maybe get the authors to resubmit their tutorial to this project instead? It will be a great hit! Just a thought. I really look forward for that book. I love floral beads.

Karen Hardy
2007-01-29, 5:10pm
Karen, thank you so much for helping out with this project! I'm excited!

Can we know what will be on the book before we buy it? (When its done of course).

What about the floral book that never happen, can we maybe get the authors to resubmit their tutorial to this project instead? It will be a great hit! Just a thought. I really look forward for that book. I love floral beads.

Oh, absolutely. Before it hits the presses, I will submit an index page with a list of all the tutorials and their authors.

As for the florals book, and the people that submitted their tutorials to
Ms. T - I'm kinda not wanting to touch those with a 10 foot pole.
If they were promised for a book (whether or not that book ever materializes)
than I could be opening up a can of worms using the same tutorials.

Anyone submitting their tutorials would have to sign and send to me legal
paperwork (forthcoming) stating that their tutorials are not submitted to
anyone else, not included in any books, and are their own work.

born2snooze
2007-01-29, 5:32pm
Hi Karen! Thanks for the reply! (((hugs)))

I just thought I mention it, because some people had mention it in some thread that they would love to submit it to other production instead. (Forgive my Engrish), I cant remember what thread, its not recently. I swear at least a couple people said that. I cant remember.

Thanks so much for doing this my dear! (((hugs))).

Karen Hardy
2007-01-30, 11:52am
I need the following people to contact me about these tutorials they submitted
to the LE tutorials book:

Joanna Mueller – Shards tutorial
Kandice Seeber – raised daisy flower
Karin - photoshop tutorial
Lynn - drawer pull tute
Mary Moth – Swirlie/Implosion beads/Riveted bead caps/Bleeding heart tutorial
Kimberly – twisty tutorial
Pricilla Bullard – fusing
Tink – riveted beads tutorial
2heartsmikes – heart tute
Purplelilyone -Coral & dragonfly pendant

Just Nancy
2007-01-30, 4:38pm
So, this will be first time only tutorials? Not just ones that people have rights to continue to distribute? And does published online count?

Dana L
2007-01-30, 6:01pm
Thank you so much Karen!

Karen Hardy
2007-01-31, 9:21am
So, this will be first time only tutorials? Not just ones that people have rights to continue to distribute? And does published online count?

I'll have to know what you're refering to before I can answer that. Usually
when you publish elsewhere, THEY retain the right to republish your work
unless your contract with them states otherwise. I would check and see with
whomever you previously published your work as to how it is worded.

If it's a tutorial (for example) of some technique that you published on your
own website, then I have no problem adding it in. I'm a little unclear as to what
you mean when you say "ones that people have the rights to continue to distribute".
If it belongs to you, and you are the writer and hold the copyright and want to include
it, it should not be a problem. Just make sure that I am aware of the pertinent details
so that I can investigate and make
sure that we are not jeopardizing the book or the forum by publishing work
that we are not legally in the clear to publish.

If we will be using your tutorials in the book, then you will be required to sign
a document stating that the tutorial is your own work and does not appear in
other publications and that you approve of it being used in this book. The
copyright for the tutorial will remain with the author. Anyone who does not
have the paperwork in to me by the required date will have their tutorial
removed from the book before publishing.
CYA. :-o

Karen Hardy
2007-01-31, 9:33am
By-the-by, this is also a great opportunity for any of you that
sell glass products online (example: frit). If you want to send me
a tutorial on how to best use a product that you sell, I will be glad
to include it (I mean, provided it's not crappy - you need to include
pictures and steps. Not just text).
I still am lacking in a good tutorial on making an encased frit bead
and I KNOW that there are many people selling frit here.
You are welcome to slap as many logos, website addresses and other
garbage on your tutorial to showcase your store.
(If it was me, I'd include a special "code #" in the tutorial:
example - "if you would like to order "rainbow junkie" frit, mention
code #LE12345 when ordering and recieve an extra 10% off your order").

I'm also lacking in lots of good boro tutorials, so if anyone wants to
put some of those together, that would be great to add.

I'm also developing a cool-tools section, and I got a GREAT tutorial
from Bobby yesterday.

Again, most of these tutorials are ALREADY HERE on this forum, so
there probably won't be any major surprises - however, it's going
to be wonderful to have them all in a nice and easy book - spiral bound so it
lies flat so you can look at it while torching. I'll probably be adding in some great
info from manufacturers too, and I'll make sure and include a few blank lined pages
in the back for jotting down notes.

*Naos*
2007-01-31, 9:49am
I'll have the Dragon Scale one to you, with pics, in about two weeks. :)

Just Nancy
2007-01-31, 9:51am
I'm a little confused about the new guidelines. I'm thinking in general the ones I have in mind won't be worth submitting (not able or willing to tweek them and some simply aren't new concepts). But I was just positive that I've read often contracts include first right of publishing and that the author can retain the rights after that.

When this first started I thought it was more about compiling everything we could from LE users and having a way to donate back to LE and get these tutorials in a printed/printable form. I think that is why you have the ones donated that you have in the unusable pile.

It seems to be headed the published book route. So it sounds like it is going to contain new materials such as would be in any other book but I'm confused about not published before, except for on our own sites but then you say and here on LE. In other words, just not work that goes against another contract? For example I had talked before about a kaleidoscope tutorial. Even if I create one, there is really nothing new in kaleidoscopes that isn't published all over the place so it really won't fit in the new direction as I'm reading it. So I was wondering from the purchasing end (Whoo hoo a new $30 book with all new stuff) and the creating end (probably not worth tweeking what I had to offer).

Karen Hardy
2007-01-31, 10:35am
I'm a little confused about the new guidelines. I'm thinking in general the ones I have in mind won't be worth submitting (not able or willing to tweek them and some simply aren't new concepts). But I was just positive that I've read often contracts include first right of publishing and that the author can retain the rights after that.

That can vary from contract to contract. Some of mine do state that, while others have said that I retain the rights on my tutorials. As far as being a "new concept" - well, I don't think there really are too many new concepts, but there are new (or better) ways of doing the old stuff.

When this first started I thought it was more about compiling everything we could from LE users and having a way to donate back to LE and get these tutorials in a printed/printable form. I think that is why you have the ones donated that you have in the unusable pile.

That is STILL the idea here. I will be taking the tutorials available here online and the ones that were donated, and, with the authors permission, adding them to the book. Unfortunately, the pictures that THIS FORUM will accept for ONLINE usage is usually too low to be used in print format. Hence, I need some of these tutorials to either be reworked OR I'm going to need to have the original high res pictures sent to me so I can modify them.

Obviously, this is incredible time consuming, and I have a life (not much of one, but it exists nonetheless :smile: ) so I'm first asking the authors if they are willing to revamp their tutorials and send them to me. If I think that a tutorial is a good one, and the author is either unwilling or unable to rework it into a WORD or PDF file, then I will take those on a case-by-case basis.
Example: I have some tutorials that have excellent information that I think would be a great addition, but the author (who can take great pictures and write great text) can't use word for shit (she's a good friend of mine, so I can beat her up about that). So I will be revamping their tutorial so that it is easy to follow and well formatted. This will take me some time to do, but for a few I don't mind doing it. However, if you multiply that by 50 tutorials, then this book won't see the light of day till 2008. That's why I'm asking the people who wrote them to try and rework them before sending them to me.

It seems to be headed the published book route. So it sounds like it is going to contain new materials such as would be in any other book but I'm confused about not published before, except for on our own sites but then you say and here on LE. In other words, just not work that goes against another contract? For example I had talked before about a kaleidoscope tutorial. Even if I create one, there is really nothing new in kaleidoscopes that isn't published all over the place so it really won't fit in the new direction as I'm reading it. So I was wondering from the purchasing end (Whoo hoo a new $30 book with all new stuff) and the creating end (probably not worth tweeking what I had to offer).

Where it's heading is probably to an online publishing site. I plan to work this into a usable book form, upload it to the publishing site, and make it available for people to order online. I plan to have a nice chunk of the final cost included going back to LE, however that amount will vary depending on the final cost of the book.

I'd like the book to have SOME new tutorials, however that's not what I'm getting - so I will be limited to what people are willing to give me. This book will be composed of MOSTLY THE TUTORIALS THAT ARE ALREADY AVAILABLE HERE - only in a book format. If you have a tutorial on how to make a kaleidoscope, and it hasn't been published in a magazine - then it would probably work great here.

People have been asking for something substantial and meaningful from this forum since I've been on it (probably long before I got here too), and this is a first attempt to get something done that we can all be proud of. If it works out that some of this money can get back to LE to help defray running costs and make it a better place - well, that's my ultimate goal. They may get $100, they may get $10,000. It all depends on how well this goes and how many people actually buy it.

But first, it actually has to be put together, and to do that, everyone has to cooperate. I've got about 15 solid tutorials and about 25 more in the works.
The quicker I can get people to send me QUALITY well done tutorials,the quicker this will get out.

Hope that answers all (or most) of your questions. If you have something specific that I didn't cover, let me know.

Just Nancy
2007-01-31, 10:44am
That covers it. For the most part I'm in the can't use the software worth crap category. And it is a bear to try to take pictures and handle the mirrors etc. Plus there is really nothing new about construction or any techniques to show. Place the tape on the table, lay the mirrors on top, form the triangle, tape them up, and insert into a body. ;) (Seriously, I've taught a class of 3rd graders to do them.) So between my lack of software skills, poor pictures and lack of quality content. You've answered my questions. I'll wait and see if I can swing the purchase of the project.

greenbeadenvy
2007-02-04, 5:02am
I wrote my very first tutorial and posted it in the toots section of LE. I would like to donate it to the project(if it's good enough of course). Is it possible for you to take it straight from my site or should I try to find the original photos and send it in an email?(not too sure if I have them:()
http://www.beadenvy.co.uk/e-bay/e-bay%20penguin-tutorial.htm

Karen Hardy
2007-02-04, 10:52am
Hi Emma!
That's a wonderful tutorial. I would love to have it in the book.
The best thing you can do (for me!) would be to put the tutorial together
in a WORD document, format it properly and email it to me. Use the best resolution pictures you have, as the ones that are on websites and forums are pretty grainy. That will save me a lot of time in getting it together.
Also make sure that all of your presonal infor is on the tutorial
(Full Name, website, company name, and any other details you want
people to know). PM me and I'll tell you where to send it to.

Thanks!

I wrote my very first tutorial and posted it in the toots section of LE. I would like to donate it to the project(if it's good enough of course). Is it possible for you to take it straight from my site or should I try to find the original photos and send it in an email?(not too sure if I have them:()
http://www.beadenvy.co.uk/e-bay/e-bay%20penguin-tutorial.htm

Karen Hardy
2007-02-04, 10:59am
FYI - Update on book.

Well, kids. It's coming along slowly, but it is coming along.
I'm trying to work on at least one tutorial per day if I can
(although many are taking several days to pull together).
Remember - this is a part time gig for me, so it's mostly on off hours
I'm working.

Right now, I have a handful of "done" tutorials, and a ton more
that are "out there" with their authors putting finishing touches on
them. Unfortunately, I cannot proceed until I get them back from the
people who have them, so it's a bit of a waiting game.

Again, proceeding nicely though. I'm going to give it 2-3 more weeks
to get the ones back from the authors that have them, and then I
will do a blitzkreig on the tutorials section and try and get many more
from there. Whether I can use THOSE will depend on getting written approval on
each tutorial. I'm working with my sister, who is an attorney with a
background in contracts (lucky me) to develop an appropriate contract
for letting us use these tutorials for the book. CYA I always say.

No firm eta in sight yet but I'll keep you posted. Getting excited about this!!!

pipojasper
2007-02-11, 7:01pm
I'm pretty steamed.

I don't blame you. I thought this had been scrapped a long time ago too. I checked out post #81. WOW. Not a way to motivate people to help out. Talk about total negativity. Maybe this was not a project Karen Hardy should have taken on by herself because in that post she sounds overwhelmed. Yikes.

I have a hard time believing (after looking at your great tut on your website) that the one you submitted was (Karen Hardy's quote) "something slapped together just for shits and giggles". After all the begging for tuts what a slap in the face.

The original post said "You may send it in...with pictures if you can, if not that is ok too. It doesn't matter if we get 10 different ways to make a round bead... something that works for one person might not work for another. The more the merrier" Originally sounded like a fun lighthearted little book that everyone would enjoy. Kind of like a community cookbook or something. So what if we get 4 recipes for banana bread, everyone's taste is different. Sounds totally different now :( Too bad.

Don't even know what to say. It's a bummer for all involved. Bummer if you submitted your tut and it was not one of "the chosen ones". Don't give up. There are tons of us newbies (or at least still making beads like we are) that really need your help. Please post them in the tuts for us :) We will ALWAYS APPRECIATE IT.

Karen Hardy
2007-02-11, 7:13pm
Hi Kandice,
I'm sorry your upset about the way this was handled. Let me try an answer some of
your questions - and I hope this helps you at least not be so angry with me for
the way this was handled. That was not my intention - to piss anybody off, although
I knew from the start that - since this project has been passed around a lot, some feelings
might be inadvertently hurt in the transition. Here goes...

Okay, I am going to try not to be bitchy about this....but I am
not guaranteeing anything. I'm pretty steamed.

(again - sorry!)

First of all - I wandered in here for the first time in a long time, only to see this thread about the tutorials -
one of which I submitted ages ago. (Raised daisy). If I hadn't seen this thread, I would never ever have known
that there needed to be further work done on my tutorial. No one has ever contacted me about it - indeed,
I thought this project had been scrapped, because I haven't seen a thread on it in a long time. If you need
something from me, why haven't I received any PM or email or anything?

You haven't been personally contacted (and the same goes for others who have submitted tutorials) because I
am not at that stage yet. I put a "general" email to several people who
submitted tutorials that were mostly "book ready" in the hope that I could slam through those quickly and then
take time (when I had it) working with others who needed more
help. Again, this is going in stages - most people put together a book like this in about
6 months to a year, I'm trying to do it in half that. As soon as I reach the point where
I have the tutorials that only needed a slight tweak finished, I was going to be starting in
on the next batch that need a little more work - such as adding a few more step-by-step
pictures or adding a "final product" picture. After that - I will be working with the authors
that really require hand-holding, such as ones who cannot take their own pictures, or
ones that take great pictures but have problems formatting tutorials or coming up with
the descriptive text to go with the pictures. I want to make sure that all the tutorials have
a "flow" to them, and are easy to follow.

Second - I submitted my tutorial because I wanted to do something to help LE. However, after reading
post number 81 by Karen, I am a little put off, to say the least. After Lizabeads begged and pleaded us
all for tutorials, I sent in one because I really wanted to help out. She told us to send in ANYTHING.
Come to find out, now you need a "quality FINISHED product that will be worth something to purchase,
and not something slapped together just for shits and giggles." Well, excuse me. Maybe you don't
really need my tutorial after all. Since it might be just "crappy". Or whatever. Not that I would know,
because no one has ever gotten back to me on it. And this thread is buried in an area that is not viewed
on a regular basis by most of the people here.

Again, here's the problem with having so many hands in the pot. We each have a different idea as to what
a "finished tutorial" should look like. While I would like to have a lot of
tutorials in this book to make it infinitely more purchasable, I feel that - at a minimum,
these tutorials should have a certain usability to them They needed to be mostly pictures,
with explanatory text walking you through the process. Again, I'm sorry if I offended you
with the "shits & giggles" comment - or if I implied that I wasn't grateful for any and all
tutorials that were submitted. I wasn't trying to hide or bury this thread - this is a REALLY big forum, I put
a quickie note here - and a quickie note in the bathroom, just to see if I
could make quickie contact with a few people that day when I had a few hours to spare
(which I did manage to do). I'm doing this in my spare time, so I'm trying to get
as much done in the hours I have.

So just count me out, okay? Now that I feel completely and totally unappreciated and taken for granted
(I mean, seriously, I submitted to help LE, not to sell anything), I think I will just post my tutorial on my
website. I don't need to be treated like crap when I submitted something as a donation. It's not like I
need the exposure.

Again (and again, and again) I am terribly sorry if I offended you or made you feel in any
way like you were not contributing or you were being taken for granted. It's your call as
to whether or not you want to let me use your tutorial - however I think it's a great tutorial
and I think it will be a shining star in the tutorials book. If you decide that you want to use
it for your own website - and you are interested in the comments or suggestions I had for
it, I would be more than happy to share them with you.

So - once again - I apologize to you (and anyone else) offended by any flippant comments I made -
or if I did anything to make you feel like you were not an important
part in this project. I'm just trying to do the best work possible and put out the best
product I can so everyone can feel proud of their contributions.

Karen Hardy
2007-02-11, 7:41pm
I don't blame you. I thought this had been scrapped a long
time ago too. I checked out post #81. WOW. Not a way to motivate people to help out.
Talk about total negativity. Maybe this was not a project Karen Hardy should have taken
on by herself because in that post she sounds overwhelmed. Yikes.

Just a quick FYI - I removed the shits&giggles part from my post #81. It was meant as
a bit of chummy poking, but since you and Kandice found it offensive, I figured it was in
the best interest of this project to remove it. Erase, erase, erase.
As for my post being "negative", I would invite you to reread it and rethink that. I was doing
my best to answer questions about the current state of the tutorial book, which people have
been anxiously waiting on for some time. Yes - many people thought it was scrapped and
it actually kind of WAS. I am doing my best to resurrect it and make it something awesome.

I have a hard time believing (after looking at your great tut on your website) that the one you
submitted was (Karen Hardy's quote) "something slapped together just for shits and giggles".
After all the begging for tuts what a slap in the face.

Yeah - after looking at the tutorial on her website - I would think the same thing too.
The tutorial she submitted is the same one on her site....

Unfortunately, the tutorial I have from Kandice is missing ALL the pictures. Only text.
I don't know whether this is due to what she sent out or whether it's something that
one of the other people working on the tutorials (before me) inadvertently did.
- so that is what I am working with, and that is what I have to go on. Can Kandice
write a great tutorial? Hell yeah! Is what I received a great tutorial? Well...no, it's not.
Of course, that's not her fault, and it would probably have been corrected with one
email (in which probably Kandice herself would hopefully have been telling me "what
do you mean all the pictures are missing?????"). Don't assume that I am bagging on
people for writing crappy tutorials. Lots of them need fixing for technical reasons - not
content reasons.

The original post said "You may send it in...with pictures if you can, if not that is ok too.
It doesn't matter if we get 10 different ways to make a round bead... something that works
for one person might not work for another. The more the merrier" Originally sounded like a
fun lighthearted little book that everyone would enjoy. Kind of like a community cookbook
or something. So what if we get 4 recipes for banana bread, everyone's taste is different.
Sounds totally different now :( Too bad.

That's the way the other people felt about it. I feel differently. I've done this many times
before and seen the results when you try and put together something using lesser quality
images and unedited text. Why should I spend all this time to put together a book when
I can just invest a few more days and work with people a bit more and make this project
really shine? I'm not expecting or asking people to be Tolstoy here. Just giving them a
few requests so that their tutorials are as clear and as understandable as they possibly
can be. Isn't that what you would want from me?? I don't have a lot of money to blow on books -
I'd rather spend it on glass and tools. I'm assuming you feel the same way too. Wouldn't you
rather invest your hard earned money in a book with clear step-by-step tutorials and bright clean non-fuzzy pictures?

Don't even know what to say. It's a bummer for all involved. Bummer if you submitted your tut and
it was not one of "the chosen ones". Don't give up. There are tons of us newbies (or at least still
making beads like we are) that really need your help. Please post them in the tuts for us :)
We will ALWAYS APPRECIATE IT.

There were hardly any "non-chosen" ones. Matter of fact, the main bulk of non-chosen ones were
due to the fact that the authors wanted them pulled for publication in other sources (to which I
applaud their decision and am very excited for them!) . The others are still in the works, I am working
very hard to clean them up, make sure the pictures will
show up well and make sure that the text makes sense and the spelling is all correct.

I know that any errors in ANY of these tutorials will most likely reflect badly - not on ME - but on the
AUTHOR of the tutorial. I would feel terrible if that were to happen. I want everyone to shine in this book
- from the total beginner submitting for the first time to the seasoned expert sharing their thoughts. All it
takes is a little bit of effort from me and a little bit of cooperation from those who have submitted, and
we can make this really great.

pipojasper
2007-02-11, 8:24pm
As for my post being "negative", I would invite you to reread it and rethink that.

I reread it and still think it's negative.

That's the way the other people felt about it. I feel differently. I've done this many times before and seen the results when you try and put together something using lesser quality images and unedited text. Why should I spend all this time to put together a book when I can just invest a few more days and work with people a bit more and make this project really shine? I'm not expecting or asking people to be Tolstoy here. Just giving them a few requests so that their tutorials are as clear and as understandable as they possibly can be. Isn't that what you would want from me?? I don't have a lot of money to blow on books - I'd rather spend it on glass and tools. I'm assuming you feel the same way too. Wouldn't you rather invest your hard earned money in a book with clear step-by-step tutorials and bright clean non-fuzzy pictures?

Actually the "feeling" I got from the get-go was it was going to be a fun "booklet" not some high-tech, high dollar book. Infact the first post said it would be compiled into a booklet. I was thinking it would be a fun little book of tutorials from people of various skill levels for people of various skill levels. I thought it would be more like a community book of tutorials where you could see 5 different ways of making a flower. Some tuts with pictures, some with horrible hand drawings and some just scribbled notes. I don't want to spend my hard earned money on a fancy how to book, there's enough of them out there already. Besides it sounds like it would be so expensive it would no longer be a fund raiser and more of a "help us pay this off so we can break even" kind of book.

I guess for this project I was hoping it would be more of a quantity rather than quality thing. Maybe I misunderstood the point of this.

Karen Hardy
2007-02-11, 9:19pm
Okay - here are my responses - now that I have cooled a bit.
Okay - then should I really have been on the lsit of people you had that you were waiting to hear from?
How am I supposed to contact you if I have no idea that's what I am supposed to do?

Yup - you're on the list. Nope, I still haven't gotten to it :( .
It was just a quickie email post that I knew one or two of those people would
see. They did, and I fixed those tutes up. Sloppy on my part, but well intentioned.

I did not get that particular email.

I didn't send it yet ](*,) (<-me, banging my own head against the wall )

That's all fine, I am sure. Even though I personally bristle at the term "hand-holding".
But I am sure that's just me.

You are not one of the ones needing "hand-holding". Some people are more unsure of
themselves and are requesting that I give them a lot of help. I am glad to assist in
any way, shape or form that I can. For others, like yourself - it's more like me just
saying "here's what I'm missing - can you please change/fix/correct/switch this".

That's fine, but this professional, polished idea was not the original intent. Neither
was the idea that this would be a printed book for people to purchase. It was supposed
to be a pdf file given to those who donated to LE. This was changed without any notice
at all.

Well....that's my fault, and I accept full responsibility for it.
It actually DID start out as a tutorials book. Then it sort of slid downhill to a PDF file for
download, and then it just sort of petered out. I think it's a grand idea, and I'd been waiting
with baited breath for it to come out. When no one seemed to be able to find the time to
do it (and it IS taking a LOT more time that I figured it would) I had enough love for it to
want to see it happen, so I volunteered to pick it up and run with it. I felt that if all this stuff
was cleaned up and made pretty, it can look really nice. It's about %50 of the way there already,
so why not go ahead and do it. Frankly, if people just want to have a free printout of most of these
tutorials, they can go to the tutorials section and copy it into a WORD document and print it out
on their injet printer.

What I'm trying to do is take those tutorials (and a few others), clean them up, make sure that they
are readable (and that they MAKE SENSE), put the best quality picture along with it and make it
available in a nice printed book with spiral binding and room for notes. Again, it's not costing anybody
anything to have me put this together. No one is being forced - or even guilted into buying it. I'm doing
this because I think it would be a really
neat thing to have, and because I think that it will help bring in a few bucks to this
forum. The only thing I'm getting out of this is the satisfaction of a job well done and
probably carpal tunnel syndrome.

I just hope when this is over everybody still loves me enough to sign my casts and
maybe send me some RAOGK chocolate - but I won't hold my breath :fnwl: .

Again, I understand, but with all due respect - the bathroom gets flushed daily. If you're trying to
contact someone, it's best to use PM rather than a general thread in an obscure room. Your posts
make it clear that you are waiting on me and others on the list to get back to you about our tutorials.

Again - I'm still at stage 2 of this process. None of you know this, but I was only given the
final go ahead to even DO this from the powers that be here FOUR DAYS AGO. I've been
editing, formatting, and sorting all this without even knowing if I was even going to be
allowed to see it happen. I didn't want to go full charge ahead emailing, PMing and basically crawling
up everybody's butt to get tutorials out of them and then find out that
it wasn't going to happen.
Of course, now that I've gotten the official go ahead, I guess you all can look for me to
be crawling up your collective butts (so to speak).

Okay, thanks. Unfortunately, I already have it up on my website, and have for some time, because it
looked like this project had fallen by the wayside, and because your project was originally not something
that was going to be printed. Lizabeads told us we would retain copyright, and that she was okay with us
submitting things that had already been published, etc. This was completely informal - a pdf gift for those
donating to LE.

You will still retain copyright to your tutorials. The contract I am working on (to be sent out
as a FINAL step to those who are in the book) will basically state that this tutorial is by
you, and no one but you holds the copyright. It will give me permission to publish it in this
book and make it available for sale to anyone wishing to purchase it. So even if it's up on your website -
we could still publish it in the book.

I appreciate the apology - thank you. I can't say I am not still a little miffed, but I am sure I will get over that in time.

Hope so. I'm not entirely bad. I knew I was going to get a lot of people pissed off at me
when I took this on - whether it was from my own handling of it, the flippant way I post,
or just the fact that people that had residual anger from the way that this was being
handled and saw me as a place to channel that anger. I'm just going to do the best I
can - and keep the big picture in mind. I'd like to see this come out, have people raving
about what a great resource this is, and then hopefully, repeat it again in a year or two
with volume two of the best of LE tutorials. I hope people have enough faith in me to
give me their tutorials and trust that I'm going to make them look the best that they can
look. And if some of those people don't feel that way now, than I'll get them next year
when I make a call for tutorials for the next volume :-D . As it stands now, it should be fantastic
with just what I have already. I'm so impressed by the talent on this forum and the willingness to
share the knowledge. This book is just a small fraction of that.

Karen Hardy
2007-02-11, 9:33pm
I reread it and still think it's negative.

Sorry you feel that way. It was not intended as such.

Actually the "feeling" I got from the get-go was it was going to be a fun "booklet" not some
high-tech, high dollar book. Infact the first post said it would be compiled into a booklet.
I was thinking it would be a fun little book of tutorials from people of various skill levels for people
of various skill levels. I thought it would be more like a community book of tutorials where you
could see 5 different ways of making a flower. Some tuts with pictures, some with horrible hand
drawings and some just scribbled notes. I don't want to spend my hard earned money on a fancy
how to book, there's enough of them out there already. Besides it sounds like it would be so
expensive it would no longer be a fund raiser and more of a "help us pay this off so we can
break even" kind of book.
I guess for this project I was hoping it would be more of a quantity rather than quality thing.
Maybe I misunderstood the point of this.

Well - this is still a far cry from a high-tech, high dollar book. I'm positioning this to
be somewhere in between a lark publication and something you photocopy at the library.
It ain't Passing the Flame, that's for sure.
It IS a fun book with tutorials for beginners as well as some advanced stuff. Some of these
have great pictures and some of them have hand drawings.

However - I'm not going to put in 5 separate tutorials that all show you how to make a
plunged dot. There's a lot of stuff that overlaps - but I'm trying to make it varied enough
so that it will be a worthwhile purchase.

As for the price, it looks like it will be around the 20-25$ range, unless printing prices
change. THIS IS JUST AN ESTIMATE. I don't think that's very high - considering
that includes a donation to the forum.Most people are willing to donate money here to raffles
and other fund raising efforts - this would be just like that, except you'd receive a great book in the bargain.

All I can say is - I'll finish it up, put it out there and let everybody decide if it's worth
purchasing. I hope everybody does.

Starrr
2007-02-12, 1:53am
Karen,

You know what, I for one would like to say a BIG THANK YOU to you for picking up a ball that never mad it onto the court! Liza did what she could and I also applaud her for what she was willing to do and for her good intentions.

What I don't understand is why everyone has such a pissy attitude about YOU donating your time to try and help get this off the ground. It seems you are getting blamed for a project that you weren't part of in the begining but still felt strongly enough to donate your time to do.

I totally understand where you're coming from, I have a friend who is a graphic designer and he has explained all the technical things that have to be taken into consideration when trying to produce a publication. I am a technical idiot, can't take a picture with the best of equipment, uhm, I have the most recent Photoshop and Paintshop and still have problems, ( big), with editing an image. I have a website that has been paid for with monthly fees that I just don't want to deal with, so I appreciate your knowledge in trying to make a nice publication that will appeal to lampworkers with different abilities.

What I don't understand is why you have to apologize so many times and you still have people who want you to apologize one more time. Stop bothering to apologize, buy the book or not, it will sell. I'd be willing to front the money for 3 books right now.

I don't know Karen, never met her, know nothing about her other than I think she has taken on a project that alot of people might enjoy and benefit from. I'm also comfortable enough with her integrity in this project to support her.

For what it's worth...
Edie

lwilson21
2007-02-12, 5:17am
Please, if we want to see this project proceed, let's not get into "taking sides" here. I also applaud Karen for wanting to produce a high quality booklet, but let's not forget to give a big Thanks! to the artists who have generously contributed their tips, expertise, pictures, drawings, etc. to this project. Kudos to everyone involved! I can't wait to see and buy the finished product.

Leah

Just Nancy
2007-02-12, 5:35am
And while we aren't taking sides I think it is good to remember some artists did think they were contributing to the $10 PDF file (that is all I ever saw it referred to, or a document if people couldn't access the PDF and I think that was the price for the donation to receive the file) not a book.

If people don't want to participate in a book doesn't make them bad either.

tanok
2007-02-12, 5:43am
This has nothing to do with me and please dont think I am intefering or taking sides, but from the outside......you are all great people who have got the balls to get up and give this project a good go. Well done to all of you, I couldn't do it and I admire you, I know its really difficult to keep everybody happy as well as keeping your self happy but I would be happy if the end product wasnt highly polished
The great thing about PTF were the mistakes and the fact that it was written by a real person in real speak, I love that. Please dont be disheartened, I would love to see all sorts of tutorials, sometimes even a hand drawing is enough to get the point across!

Glass Garden
2007-02-12, 6:30am
I don't get the "It was supposed to be this, it was supposed to be that" stuff. A informal book is what I understand it has evolved to. Why get your knickers in a twist over it? Lots of people wanted something but no one wanted the responsibility. Karen volunteered. She is doing it her way. If anyone wanted something else, they should have volunteered to do it. Karen could also have been private messaged about this, as was said she should have done, but wasn't. Either send the pictures she needs that were not included or don't, and leave the tut out. Buy the book when it's done or don't if you don't like it. Easy peasy. Why get all puffed up about it?? Just my 2 cents.
Shelley

Just Nancy
2007-02-12, 7:00am
If anyone wanted something else, they should have volunteered to do it.

This is of course just my opinion, I'm sure Karen will put out a fine book (let). But have to respond because people did volunteer to help. I'm not sure all the reasons offers were declined so I won't speculate. Also still just my opinion, but I don't think anyone has anything in a wad. I think some people are just deciding if they want to participate in the new venture or not. Since names of donors have been mentioned they might has well let the whole board know if they change their mind.

Marie C
2007-02-12, 7:36am
Hi Karen. I just want to thank you for your willingness to put so much of your time and energy into this project. I appreciate the fact that it will be a well put-together book that I can and will refer to often. I love tutorials, especially those with good pictures, as I'm a visual learner. Please don't get discouraged as there are many out here that really appreciate what you're doing for us. If you had not picked up this project it may still be sitting out there in cyberspace, of no use to any of us. Thanks, again! You are appreciated!!! Warmly, Marie C

swamper
2007-02-12, 8:09am
For the record....I don't remember if I specifically submitted a tutorial or not. I do know that I linked to a tutorial on my website. In either case, I do not want my tutorial(s) to be part of a printed book. Thank you for understanding.

Linda Campbell

Cosmo
2007-02-12, 8:40am
I sent in several tutorials a while back, and have never heard anything. Does that mean mine aren't good enough? Or does it mean that they are? Or does it mean that you never got them? I sent them both to Corri when she was organizing it and Lizabeads when this thread started, but never heard anything again from either person...

sleekbeads
2007-02-12, 10:32am
Wow, this is really, mmmm, let's say "enlightening".

Karen, kudos for taking on this most daunting task, however, today is February 12 and this is the first I'm seeing of this.

If I hadn't read through this thread, I would have NEVER known you needed something from me.

I think my tutorial probably falls under the "some are just crappy" category, so you can just take mine out.

I was one of the first people to submit a tutorial to Liza when she took on this project. I've barely ever heard another word about it til now.

Kind of disappointed in the turns this has taken.
I'll do you a favor and take myself out.

It's a shame.

Karen Hardy
2007-02-12, 11:26am
I would just like to thank all the people who emailed me privately and
publicly encouraging me to continue with this. I knew it was going
to be a daunting task - just the physical part of it.

I also knew - just from my experience on being on this forum
that as soon as I started to get deep into this - regardless of
how I handled it, that the shit would start flying, people would
get pissed off and I'd probably expect a bunch to pull out.
I've seen lots of personal attacks on this forum - so I pretty
much put on my armor before I even jumped in and said I'd attempt it.

What astonishes me - and makes me just want to shake some of these
contributors who are jumping out here saying that I'm referring to them
and calling their contributions "crap" or "something slapped together for
shits& giggles" is that no one so far has even given me the opportunity
to even get in touch with them yet.

You may say -"gee Karen, how hard can it be to just send people an
email?" Not hard at all. Except several of these contributions are lacking
basic things LIKE NAMES. Sure, I can understand someone named
"Prettybeads" might feel unhappy that her tutorial was put in the "pile that
needs work" - however - that's not the case. I don't have ANY tutorials
from her. At least not under the name "Prettybeads". If she submitted
it under another name, How am I supposed to link up PRETTYBEADS with
MARY JONES? Remember - I don't know ALL of the names of all of the
people here. I'm trying to sort, arrange and get in contact with everyone
as quickly and efficiently as possible AS WELL AS answer to all the people
here who are wondering why this is taking so long.

I'm also trying to answer to all the people who are wondering what it is
I have to work with, and I'm trying to give information about that too.
What probably should have been the wisest path to take was for me to
just be non-communicative and just do it, but I wanted to assure the
community that I was working hard on this and getting the job done.

At this point, if I was a normal person, I'd probably say f-it and get out while
my hide was still intact. However, no one has ever accused me of being
normal - or sane for that matter. I'm going to slather on the bactine and put
some band aids on and push through all the negativity.

I'm going to stop communicating on this project for a while, and give people
a chance to either cool down or forget about it. I will still be working on it.
I will not drop the ball, and I will not let the other 99% of the forum that
is eagerly awaiting this down. Not my style.

If you were one of the really great, fantastic, awesome people to submit
a tutorial for the original book, I WILL be contacting you soon to ensure that
you will still be participating.

If you are one of the people that has ever posted a tutorial on this forum, I
will be contacting you to see if we can use it. I may ask you to modify it, and
if you want to and have it included, great! If you don't then that's entirely
your call.

I will, as I get closer to the actual publication date, be requesting pictures for
the gallery page too. I already have so many beautiful pictures along with
recipes that my friends have submitted for usage. I think this will be the
best part of the book.

Just for the record, I've deleted the original post #81 that offended and confused
so many people. I had thought it would help explain where things
stood, but too many people chose to use it as a cause for fighting, and that
just won't do. I never intended anyone to feel slighted or hurt by anything I
said, so the less I say the better.

Please - if you have any questions about any tutorial the YOU PERSONALLY
have submitted, please PM me and I will respond to you ASAP.

It breaks my heart to see people posting complaints about imagined slights and
non-existent insults to tutorials that I probably haven't even READ in an attempt to
cause others to drop out of this project. Because that's what your doing when you
post that your pulling your tutorial - you're saying "if you're not with me you're against me".

Please- no more negativity. No more posts about pulling your tutorials.
If you want out - you are welcome to PM me and I will remove you
from the publication. If you want in - PM me and I will be glad to
add your tutorial. I have enough confirmations that it IS a go, and
it WILL be stunning. I personally am putting together a few tutorials
because I want to be a part of this special project, I am very
excited with how it is progressing, and I look forward to the day
I get my copy in my hands.

sleekbeads
2007-02-12, 11:39am
EDITED because I think I have my monster under control today.

Karen, kindly take my name out of your post.
I do not want to be used as an example.
I did nothing but voice my opinion.
On top of which I also gave you kudos for taking on such a task.
But you didn't see that part did you?

Good luck with the project, I look forward to seeing what comes of it.

Cosmo
2007-02-12, 11:47am
Like I said, I just wanted to know if you got mine or if I'm just wasting my breath. Nobody has told me anything as to whether or not they even got it. I e-mailed it with all my contact info.

misty
2007-02-12, 11:57am
I'm really looking forward to it too - Thankyou Karen!

Karen Hardy
2007-02-12, 12:06pm
Like I said, I just wanted to know if you got mine or if I'm just wasting my breath. Nobody has told me anything as to whether or not they even got it. I e-mailed it with all my contact info.

Hi Cosmo!
Yes, I have a vortex marble tutorial from you!
It looks GREAT! I will be PMing you as soon as
I get to that section of the book (I need whatever
contact info you want me to put on there).

Cosmo
2007-02-12, 1:17pm
Hi Cosmo!
Yes, I have a vortex marble tutorial from you!
It looks GREAT! I will be PMing you as soon as
I get to that section of the book (I need whatever
contact info you want me to put on there).

No problem. PM me when you get to that point and I'll send it to you.

Bobby
2007-02-12, 1:22pm
My 96 year old Papa told me that if you can't go forward with the changes in life you get left behind ! ! !
He was a great man ! ! !

Thank you Karen ! ! !

Bobby

SuzyQ
2007-02-12, 2:38pm
Holy Cow. Karen, all this thread has done for me is put you higher up on a pedastal. I think you totally Rock!

Karen Hardy
2007-02-12, 2:46pm
Holy Cow. Karen, all this thread has done for me is put you higher up on a pedastal. I think you totally Rock!

Thank you SuziQ, your words mean more to me than you have any idea....:waving:

swanseafarm
2007-02-12, 3:42pm
Awww....Karen.

Well, I just read this whole thread for the first time. Do you think I have an opinion? Hell yes. ;)

But I'll keep it to myself and just say, if I can help you just ask. I was Creative Director in a former life and put together many publications, some with over 75 pages. I have a cool bone bead tutorial on my website that I can modify for print if you'd like to use that. Let me know and I'll see if I can find the original high res files...if not I'll re shoot the images....no biggy. One thing I understand is how important decent photos are in printed material and that what looks fabulous viewed on the web might look like crap in print.

Thanks for taking this project from Liz who, btw, seems to have done a great job starting the ball rolling. :)

MaureenKennedy
2007-02-12, 4:52pm
As a suggestion - perhaps Karen can put up a web page showing a tutorial done the way she envisions all the tutorials should be like? This should eliminate a lot of the confusion on the various styles different people have in doing their work.

swanseafarm
2007-02-12, 5:32pm
As a suggestion - perhaps Karen can put up a web page showing a tutorial done the way she envisions all the tutorials should be like? This should eliminate a lot of the confusion on the various styles different people have in doing their work.

Good idea.
And a spec list, like pictures a minimum of 300 dpi/cmyk/print size?/format?

Just a thought.

Karen Hardy
2007-02-12, 5:49pm
Not a bad idea.

Okay - here's an example of a tutorial I did for Jeff at Inspiration toolworks.

http://inspirationtoolworks.com/lampworking/0035/
At the top of the page, click on the link to the optic-mold-tutorial.pdf

PLEASE - I do NOT expect anyone to feel like this is the only way to do it.
It's just an idea of what (my idea of) a well read easy to understand tutorial
should cover. If you have trouble formatting the appearance of the pages,
PLEASE, let me help you - I just need the text and the pictures.
If you can format the tutorials in a word document, that would be wonderful.

Even if it's not perfect at least it's a starting point, and I will do my best to
make you look good. If all you can manage to do is pop it into a WORD
document and send it to me THATS AWESOME! I will be so happy to help
make it publishable. If you're not sure, I'd rather you send me larger pictures
that are clear and not fuzzy and just let me scale them for the space.
Any questions, Please PM me and I'll be glad to help walk you through the
process.

Kalera
2007-02-12, 6:36pm
IMO the right way to do this would be to put out a call for submissions, complete with technical guidelines. It's not fair to the artists who submitted over a year ago for the .pdf to resurrect their submissions for a printed book... it puts them in the awkward position of either being "rejected" for something they never knew they were submitting to, refusing participation in a project they never knew they submitted to, or participating by default.

This is a whole new project. It did stem from the old project, but it should not appropriate the old project's submissions.

Karen Hardy
2007-02-12, 7:16pm
IMO the right way to do this would be to put out a call for submissions, complete with technical guidelines. It's not fair to the artists who submitted over a year ago for the .pdf to resurrect their submissions for a printed book... it puts them in the awkward position of either being "rejected" for something they never knew they were submitting to, refusing participation in a project they never knew they submitted to, or participating by default.
This is a whole new project. It did stem from the old project, but it should not appropriate the old project's submissions.

Had I known then what I know now, I would have been inclined to agree
wholeheartedly with you, Kalera. But I've already invested a great deal of
time in this project, and so have many others.

As it stands I have enough excellent tutorials and ok's from those authors to
make a go of this. The others who I have not contacted yet will be given
the choice of participating or withdrawing for now (hopefully, not permanently
- I'd love to do another edition in a years time if this goes well).

I would really hate to have to reinvent the wheel and start all over from
scratch when it's this close to coming to fruition. I think that would be letting
all the people who have been waiting for this to happen down.

Just Nancy
2007-02-12, 8:07pm

I think that sums it up better than I could have. I understand proceeding because of the work done to date but it is a whole different project. I fear feelings may be hurt all around.

krisdaka
2007-02-12, 9:03pm
Yeah for Karen...you totally rock....for those of you that don't know Karen Hardy, she's one of the good guys. I've been reading her comments for a couple years on another list, and whenever she posts, it is the most sensable, helpful pertinant words in the thread. And she's funny as hell...This book will end up being a good book of tutes. I wish I could give ya a hand Karen, but i'm pretty bad on the computer.. but I may buy the book just for the heck of it...
As for the comments..hasn't your mother ever told you not to look a gift horse in the mouth? I thought Karen explained her postion fairly clearly in the first coupla posts. Maybe she shouldn't have been so offensive but, if ya know Karen Hardy...that's just the way she is...not offensive in the least...just funny!!
You ladies should be getting your tutes to her asap and giving her all the help you can...
In other words quitcher bitchin, and be the nice ladies that we all know and love...

Karen Hardy
2007-02-12, 9:22pm
Krisdaka,
I love you darlin.
You n' me - we're splitting a 6 pack when this is all over. :love:

Cracked Baubble
2007-02-14, 12:44pm
I would just like to known what the projected cost break down is....

you made a suggestion of 20-25$ will all of that be going to LE? are you or your sister (the attorney) being reimbursed for time or materials from the sales?

also, why publish vs. .pdf?

Karen Hardy
2007-02-14, 7:08pm
I would just like to known what the projected cost break down is....you made a suggestion of 20-25$ will all of that be going to LE?

All of that depends on the amount of pages it ends up being.
The one that I did for a similar situation broke down as follows:
For a 140 page color book
Approx cost of printing: $14.90
Amount I'm planning to add on for donations: $5.00
(Things to take into consideration - any costs that I might
accrue above and beyond my donated time, such as postage
costs to mail information or release forms to authors (I'm hoping to
email them and get them back via snail mail - saving this charge, but
you never know....), any advertising for the book (should we decide
to make it available to people outside the forum), etc).

If I become liable for any taxes due to the costs of this book
then I will have to take that out so I don't end up owing
money. When I did the previous book, we ended up with me
taking out approx 75 cents per book to cover taxes.
Just for the record - I ended up spending about $100 of
my own cash money ABOVE AND BEYOND any money
that I "made" doing the other book.

Again - I am NOT doing this as a money making venture
of my own.

PLEASE REMEMBER - THESE ARE ONLY ESTIMATES!!!
If all of a sudden, a bunch of people drop out, it could
go down. Conversely, if all of a sudden, a bunch of wonderful,
awesome, incredible people decide to donate some more tutorials
and we go above the amount of pages of the previous work,
then the price will go up.

Regardless - I think that $20-25 is a good price range, since
it is just around what other books of this nature are going
for (much less than most even) and I know myself that I have received
probably several hundreds of dollars worth of good advice from using this
forum!.

are you or your sister (the attorney) being reimbursed for time or materials from the sales?

No. My sister is donating her time to help me create a tutorial release form
that will both cover our (the forums) collective asses AND allow the author
to keep creative license and copyright on their article. I respect that
the people here work very hard to come up with these, and I want to
make sure that if there is an opportunity for them to use it in the future
they can do so. As for materials and my own time, - please see the above
information.

also, why publish vs. .pdf?

As I have said in previous posts - most of this information is already available
on this forum. All anyone who wants to have a copy of this has to do is
find it, cut and paste it into a WORD doc, if necessary, and print it.
YES, there are some NEW tutorials here, and that's what's the kicker. If you
want the new tutorials - then that's an incentive to buy the book and donate
towards this forum.

Most people were overjoyed at the idea of having a hardcopy of these tutorials. PDF files are hard to use when you are working (I don't like my laptop open when I am torching - hot glass flying around and frit getting stuck under my keyboard are things I try and avoid at all costs).
So, let's say that you decide to print out the PDF file. That's over 100
pages in full color - how many ink cartridges would that run you (mine are
about $26 each for the black and a little higher for the color).

Plus - all the bead pictures I want to add in the back section with recipes..
wouldn't you want to have that in the book - with all the colors?
Areas for putting in your own notes as to what worked and what favorite
colors you used for each tutorial?

Karen Hardy
2007-02-14, 7:10pm
Awwww - NO honey....
I DO understand why you were so upset - please don't feel
bad. It was a miscomunication on my my part.
Sometimes what we say out loud (or in our heads)
doesn't translate well to the printed word.
My bad - not yours.
{{{hugs}}}
And thanks for the appreciation. I really hope people
are happy with this.

I don't know what to say at this point, except I am sorry I started all this, and I am sorry that a lot of people don't seem to understand why I was so upset.

I do appreciate all the hard work Karen has done. I don't know what else to say.

Karen Hardy
2007-02-18, 10:01am
Just a quick 50 cent update.
I'm kicking back waiting on some tutorials to
be finished and sent to me.
Th-th-th-th-th-that's all folks.

greenbeadenvy
2007-02-18, 12:40pm
I will try and get time to put mine into word and sent out to you ASAP.
Em xx

Gelly
2007-02-19, 8:38pm
is it done yet?

:lol:

Karen Hardy
2007-02-20, 12:10am
Shoo....go make some oinkers.
(troublemaker)

is it done yet?
:lol:

greenbeadenvy
2007-02-20, 1:12am
:P ROFL

meadowesky
2007-02-20, 12:09pm
I hope to get shane to take the pics of my tutorial tonight :)
I cant wait to see this!

Cracked Baubble
2007-02-20, 3:56pm
Thanks for answering my questions

wouldn't you want to have that in the book - with all the colors?
Areas for putting in your own notes as to what worked and what favorite
colors you used for each tutorial?
TBH, no... I'd rather have all of that in a nicely formated PDF (which is why I don't just harvest them from the forum, I don't want to spend the time formatting, and having high quality pics is a big plus). I knit and I buy a good deal of my patterns in PDF. I can save them to my hard drive and not care if the copy I have on hand gets ruined. I can write all over it, scratch out anything and everything, I can print just what I need when I need it and I don't have to find room for yet another a book, which I wouldn't want to take out to the torch anymore than I would want to take my laptop.

This is just my .02

Jane P
2007-02-21, 3:50pm
Hi Karen,
I'm a newbie here, and as such want to say a big "thank you" for taking all this on - you are very brave. I am really looking forward to purchasing this book. Maybe it will help me make a round bead instead of a lop sided one!

Jane
aka Ginny

Karen Hardy
2007-02-21, 7:50pm
Hi Karen,
I'm a newbie here, and as such want to say a big "thank you" for taking all this on - you are very brave. I am really looking forward to purchasing this book. Maybe it will help me make a round bead instead of a lop sided one!

Jane
aka Ginny

It probably won't help you make a round bead (round beads are SO overrated!).
What it WILL help you do is take that wonky bead and look at it in a whole new
light. Can you say "nugget"? Hee, hee, hee....:grin:

*Naos*
2007-02-22, 7:45am
Karen, hey I have to work HARD to make nuggets. LOL

Karen Hardy
2007-02-22, 8:39am
Karen, hey I have to work HARD to make nuggets. LOL

Not me. All I have to do to make a nugget is try and make a round bead.

Hmmmm...that gives me an idea. I might jut get a round bead if I try and make
a nugget! Ack. With my luck, I'd end up with a triangle.

Karen Hardy
2007-02-23, 9:24am
Just so you all know, the expenses for the book have increased.
I will be charging an extra .00005 to cover the cost of a band aid.
I burnt the living &%$#@ out of my thumb while trying one
of these tutorials. I may have to put an "idiot commentary" box
on the sided of the tutorials. Something like, "don't try and answer
the telephone with your elbow while you are marvering a hot bead".
Big assed bead slipped off the marver and rolled right onto my thumb.
...and it turned out to be a really ugly bead too (poor color choices on
my part), so I can't even say I suffered for my art.
Dangity-dang-dang.

On the plus side, the tutorial worked great!
I'm going through each one and making sure that the instructions make
sense and that everything is clear - from the materials list to the
descriptions of the process. Some of the tutes are more informative, while
others are focusing in on the process.
I - am - very - excited!
Oh, and in pain. Happy ouchies.
(and yes, I'm kidding about charging extra for the bandaids :poke: ).

Elegance_1
2007-02-23, 9:33am
I think we all feel your pain (at one time or another) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can you give *any* idea of when this will be ready? A month, a year???? :-\"

Karen Hardy
2007-02-23, 11:03pm
I think we all feel your pain (at one time or another) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can you give *any* idea of when this will be ready? A month, a year???? :-\"

Here's the dealio.
I have about 5 people that are "working" on their tutorials, with promises to
send them to me within 3 weeks (so about 2 weeks to go on those). I'm presuming that if they have problems or ask for an extension, I'll give 'em another week (I mean, I'd threaten not to pay them, but...well....not much incentive there :wink:).

After I get the last tutorials in, then I will complete the organizing and get it into it's final form (maybe another week - again, keep in mind, I'm doing this part time - HOWEVER I have recently had about 3 people with editing skills step up to the plate {bless you!} so I MAY be calling on them if I fall short).

The last step to this is a call for bead porn. I want to have a few pages in the back of the book with pictures of the LE members beads PLUS the quick and dirty recipes FOR those beads (example: "Ivory base bead with Cobalt stringer and raku frit").

As soon as I get enough to fill the pages I have set aside (and that should go quick!) I will consider the book "done" and email out the release forms. Presuming it takes people about 2 weeks after that to get the forms back to me, as soon as I have all the forms I will upload the content to the publisher, set the price and it will be available for purchase within about 48-72 hours after that.

I'm kind of shooting for an April 1st release date :cool: just because it's April 1st and that should give me enough time. Again, since this is an all volunteer project, I am at the mercy of those with the release forms (as soon as they go out) and tutorials. I can only say that things ARE progressing nicely - and - if anything, all the lessons learned will make the "Lampwork ETC Book of Tutorials Volume II" go real smoothly...

Ever After
2007-02-25, 3:58pm
Thanks so much Karen for taking this on! i cant wait!

fyrebeadz*
2007-02-25, 10:55pm
so how does one get one of these books once they are "published"? I haven't taken the time to read this whole thread.................

Karen Hardy
2007-02-26, 9:14am
so how does one get one of these books once they are "published"? I haven't taken the time to read this whole thread.................

As soon as I "publish it" on the website, all you have to do is log on and
purchase it. Shipping cost is determined by location and the number of copies
you purchase. Last time I did this, we got our books within a week.
It was very efficient!

fyrebeadz*
2007-02-26, 10:23am
Karen, what website???

Karen Hardy
2007-02-26, 11:49am
Karen, what website???

Undecided.
I'm either going to use one like lulu.com or one of the other self
publishers.

Rachael's Mom
2007-03-06, 6:18pm
I am new here, and I would love one of these books..so i can get it thru here then? sorry for the geeky question...
penny:lol:

Karen Hardy
2007-03-06, 10:50pm
I am new here, and I would love one of these books..so i can get it thru here then? sorry for the geeky question...
penny:lol:

Not yet, love. As soon as it's available I will post the heck out of it!

swanseafarm
2007-03-07, 4:19pm
Karen, I have been aloof.

When do you need my tutorial by?
Forgive my tardiness. So sorry.
:(

Karen Hardy
2007-03-07, 6:07pm
Karen, I have been aloof.

When do you need my tutorial by?
Forgive my tardiness. So sorry.
:(

Hi Bonnie,
All the tutorials must be in by the end of next week.

silkys
2007-03-14, 9:51am
I haven't had the time or access to LE much till now ... IM So Happy to see this going forward!
Thank You Karen !

Pete
2007-03-15, 3:02am
Can we get an idea of what the book will contain?

Thanks, pete

OK .... I apologize ...for not reading all the previous posts ... but there are 161 of them!!!

Have just read a few and I get the gist ... Don't worry about the previous post ...

Thanks Pete

Karen Hardy
2007-03-15, 9:49am
Basically, it's a book containing a lot of tutorials.
More info to follow when it's closer to being completed and
I have the lineup down and all the paperwork back.

(sidenote: forgive the short snappy answer here - I'm still fighting off
this nasty cold that we've been passing around (it's my 2nd time this month
that I've had it). It's hard to work on anything when you feel like your
head is packed in cotton and your nose is a leaky tap).

Karen Hardy
2007-03-24, 7:33pm
Just a quick update - don't want to leave people going "where the heck did
girlfriend vanish too?" I had to postpone working on this for a few weeks while
we all battled bronchitis, fevers, and all the lovely symptoms that go along with
having a heinous cold that gets passed around to all members of the family
(I was lucky enough to have it 2x! Whoo hoo!).

I was unfortunate enough to have 2 classes scheduled back to back
weekends during this time - and had to miss at least 1 day of a 2 day
class with the incredible Heather Trimlett (something about toppling over
into a flame while delirious with 102 degree fever didn't sit well with me).
It - has - been - rough.

So, I'm back on the job. Will keep you posted with any updates.
Toodles.

zen-mom
2007-03-24, 7:56pm
I was unfortunate enough to have 2 classes scheduled back to back
weekends during this time - and had to miss at least 1 day of a 2 day
class with the incredible Heather Trimlett (something about toppling over
into a flame while delirious with 102 degree fever didn't sit well with me).
It - has - been - rough.

Hey! It wasn't unfortunate! :shock:

Karen Hardy
2007-03-25, 10:41am
Hey! It wasn't unfortunate! :shock:

(giggle) no the CLASSES weren't the unfortunate part. Me being too honking
sick to enjoy the wonderful classes at your fine and magnificent establishment
of glassworking...THAT was unfortunate. Donna (the Mandrel) ROCKS!

zen-mom
2007-03-25, 10:57am
Awww, shucks! Thanks Karen... I figured that's what you meant... just had to give you a little :poke:

Karen Hardy
2007-04-12, 8:27pm
REQUEST FOR BEAD RECIPES/PICTURES

All better now!
Hit a small delay as I recovered from being sick for so long, but I’m BAAA-AACKKK!!!

I mentioned before that I was going to ask for some bead recipes for the
back of the Tutorials book – and here I am.

Here’s the requirements:
We’re looking for pictures of your beads AND the recipe to MAKE that bead.
All the nuts and bolts please, don’t leave anything out.
Keep it really simple (see example below) but don’t leave anything out.

Digital photographs should be taken at the camera's highest resolution,
at its best quality setting. Minimum of 300 dpi. Don’t worry too much about
cropping, I’ll be doing most of that. Worry about making sure that your
picture is as clear, crisp and as close to the actual color as possible.

Picture should be your original work. I don’t know how many we’ll be getting
(lots, I hope!) so if I can fit it in, I will email you a release form for the
photos.

email them to:

hardymama @
adelphia.net

I think I can fit at least 50 on the remaining pages, so the first 50 people
to send their (usable!!!) images to me will be the ones I'll use!!!

EXAMPLE:

Description: Black Moretti base, Silvered Ivory Stringer,
White Dots with Kronos layered over it.

cherie
2007-04-29, 2:40pm
I cant wait for this to come out

Karen Hardy
2007-04-29, 5:58pm
I cant wait for this to come out

Me neither!

Nothing to tell. I'm still editing (traded a pendant to get some
help with that). Waiting on a few more pages owed.

Thanks for everybody's patience!

tradesbears
2007-04-29, 7:22pm
can't wait to see it!

cherie
2007-05-15, 8:39pm
Im sure this will be posted when the turtorial book comes out, but is there a set cost to the book..sorry, just thinking ahead i guess...

Carolyn Ramsay
2007-05-16, 7:18am
OK, what do we actually do to get one? Do we donate to LE by Paypal? How much?
Carolyn

Karen Hardy
2007-05-16, 7:39am
OK, what do we actually do to get one? Do we donate to LE by Paypal? How much?
Carolyn

When the book is finished it will be uploaded to Lulu.com or another
self publishing site. Then you will be able to order it.

I am still waiting for another portion of this to be completed.
Believe me - I am as anxious as anyone here to get this
off my plate and into your hands!!!!!

Karen Hardy
2007-05-21, 4:38pm
Don't lose faith, little grasshoppers.
This is still being worked on.
There's a lot of things in the hopper that
are on "wait" status - but the project
hasn't floated off into never never land :wink:.

Contracts for participants have been drawn up
and are awaiting final approval from my sis
(the attorney) to make sure all hindquarters are
covered.

...just wanted to update ya'll...

mintleaf
2007-05-21, 4:52pm
I have faith in you Karen :razz: !

Karen Hardy
2007-05-21, 6:12pm
I have faith in you Karen :razz: !

Only cause you know where I live :-$ .

tradesbears
2007-07-03, 6:40am
is there anything new on this? i would love to get one when it comes out!

Karen Hardy
2007-07-04, 11:34am
is there anything new on this? i would love to get one when it comes out!

Yes. It is 99% done.
I'm waiting on a logo from Corri, and then the contracts go out.
Depending on how fast people get these back to me, I can
put it up the second I get the last one in my hands and
it would be ready to order that night.

As of now, it's over 125 pages.

gubnavnania
2007-07-04, 5:48pm
Cool, I can't wait... I want 1 :)

CorriDawn
2007-07-04, 7:42pm
I can't find the high res logo. damn... looking

Karen Hardy
2007-07-04, 11:11pm

tradesbears
2007-07-05, 8:55am
Cool can't wait!
Thanks so much for doing this!

Karen Hardy
2007-07-06, 9:22pm
IMPORTANT INFO! LE VENDORS!!!!
I'm putting the finishing touches on
the Lampwork Etc. Tutorials book. Originally, I was going to have room (and
charge for) ads in the back. However, now, I'm getting to the point where I
just want to get it out quickly before I leave for vacation.

So - I'm going to offer a few LE regulars the opportunity to put a "Coupon"
into the back of the book. It can be for 5%, 10%, 25%, buy one get one 1/2
off - whatever you want. But it has to be of some benefit to whomever
uses the coupon.

If you are interested, send me the info in (preferably) a JPG file and I will add
it to a "Vendors Specials" page in the back of the book. I'm going to be putting
it in "as-is" so make sure that it meets your specifications before you send it.
PM me and I will send you my email addy.

****this is only in effect for a short time - I'll put in the ones I get before
the final edit****

Cosmo
2007-07-07, 2:42pm

I have one. I used it when I did those LE posters last year. I actually have it in EPS format, so it can be scaled to any size independent of resolution.

If you need it, I'll send it to you (or to whoever it needs to go to). Just PM me the e-mail address you need me to send it to.

Karen Hardy
2007-07-07, 3:28pm
I have one. I used it when I did those LE posters last year. I actually have it in EPS format, so it can be scaled to any size independent of resolution.

If you need it, I'll send it to you (or to whoever it needs to go to). Just PM me the e-mail address you need me to send it to.

You are a god among men.
PMing you now...

gubnavnania
2007-07-12, 7:25pm
I haven't give anything yet to LE community but I received a lot in return. That's why I will buy the book.

Mr. Smiley
2007-07-12, 11:49pm
Thanks for all your hard work on this. I know it's taken a long time and a lot of effort. It's all very much appreciated! :love:

The Pear Door
2007-07-13, 4:21pm
Thanks to all for the hard work that has gone into this. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

And thanks to Brent for bringing things back on track!

swanseafarm
2007-07-13, 4:24pm
Karen has sexy hot publishing skillz.
:D

Karen Hardy
2007-07-13, 9:25pm
For the official record - I am SOOOO sorry it's taking this long.

For what it's worth, I'm going nuts having to rely on others
for some of this work. Not because they are bad or evil - just
that they are REALLY good, and have very full schedules - so they
are trying to fit me in between clients.

It's amazing how much work you can get done for the
price of a few beads and pendants :lol:. One for the
graphic designer, one for the lawyer.....

I LOVE the barter system :grin:.

djohnjr1
2007-07-13, 9:29pm
Are you going to let us know when the book is avaliable...Dawn

Karen Hardy
2007-07-14, 7:54am
Are you going to let us know when the book is avaliable...Dawn

Absopositilutely. The second it's available I will put notices everywhere.

Karen Hardy
2007-07-17, 11:12pm
Okay - I need some help.
I'm having trouble matching people up
with their LE Identities.
Would the following people please PM me?
Pretty Please? With sugar on top???

Anna Duhame
Heather Ferman
Joanna Mueller
Karla Lester
Kim Hart
Laurie Donnette
Leah Pellegrini
Mike Marsh
Nicole Carlson
Sarah J Schalken
Stacy Braiuca

Also - if any of you KNOWS who is who - and
can help me track them down, Please let me know.

Yeah, I know...with over 2000 posts, I should be able
to match "mary smith" to "glassymomma" and so on,
but remember - I was hired for my looks :grin:.....

Thanks everyone!

Bubbyanne
2007-07-18, 12:19am
PM'd you Karen. :)

Karen Hardy
2007-07-19, 7:51pm
It has come to my attention that some of you are concerned about the
contracts I have sent out – and also about the fact that some of you were
not even AWARE that your tutorial was being considered for the book. Before
there is a lot of misunderstanding and bad feelings, I’d like to do my best to
clear it up.

Re: the tutorials.
When I first took over this gig, I was sent a batch of tutorials from people
that had already submitted them. IN ADDITION to that, I also took the liberty
of cutting and pasting some of MY personal favorites from the tutorials
section into Word documents with the hope that we could also include them.
AT NO TIME was I EVER going to use these tutorials without express
written authorization from the authors. Ever!
Again – this was MY doing. The tutorials in the tutes section are absolutely
safe from “accidentally” ending up in print. It was never going to happen.
Most of the people who got my email telling them that I had a tutorial
with their name on it and wanted to use it were thrilled to hear that I wanted
them included. Some people were not interested, and I went ahead and
deleted those from the batch. It was NOT a problem – nor was it ever going
to be. I hope that clarifies how some of the tutorials got to be in my hands
without the authors knowing about it. If I offended anyone by wanting to use
their work, I’m truly sorry.

Re: The contracts.
The only people who received contracts were those who either submitted
work, or whose work I wanted to use. There were a total of 40 of you.
The sole purpose of the contract/authors release form is to cover MY
ass. Nothing more. Do I care that you have this tutorial plastered on
every website from here to Timbuktu? Not at all. Am I going to ask the other
websites to remove the tutorials? Never. What your contract does is provide
me with the legal right to put your tutorial into a printed form and offer it to
the public. It also covers my ass in case one of those other websites comes
after me and tells ME that I don’t have permission to use the tutorial because
it belongs to them. While it’s very easy to hit the delete button and remove
a page from a website, to remove a tutorial from a book that has already
been published is a nightmare from hell. It would be incredibly costly and
would necessitate having the whole book reformatted to clean it up because
of those missing pages. I do NOT want to have to go through that.

The contract also gives me the right to use your tutorial to promote the book
via the internet or other angles, like ads and promotions on other websites
(such as LE) and print. The contract is derived from the standard contract
that I am sent for all of my magazine articles. Actually, it’s about half the size
of MY contracts. I only wanted the pertinent information there – and I had
this checked out and revamped by an attorney who specializes in contracts,
again, just to make sure that my tushy was covered from all angles. No
publisher in their right mind would ever put someone else’s work into a book
without making sure that they have a contract/authors release in hand. It
would be insanity to do so.

Re: Offering people free books. This totally bothers me. It actually does make
me sad that I cannot offer anyone free books who submits a tutorial. The
truth of it is, this is a project to help bring money to LE. Corri is not getting
rich off of this (I mean, I HOPE she makes SOME money, but it costs a lot of
money and time to keep the servers going and the forum cleaned up and up
to date).

This forum is a GREAT resource for many people, and no one should have any
expectation that she should be doing all this work and taking time away from
HER family AND end up losing money to do so. Back to the “free” books – I
really wish I could give everybody a free one, but that would mean that I
would personally have to buy it for all of you. I too am donating my
services to head this up, and I am also paying a lot of people to help out with
this (with beads and jewelry). I am not asking for any money, except to
cover any expenses associated with getting this book out. There are no
shopping trips to Nordstrom’s or expensive shoes in this for me either. I am
NOT getting a free copy either, nor is Corri.

This book is a labor of love, allowing all the talented people here to showcase
their talents and – at the same time help this site keep running. The authors
who contribute will also be able to add to their resume by saying that their
work has appeared in a book. This can be a great benefit and ego booster to
the budding author who lacks credentials. Honestly, that’s why I have
undertaken to edit this book. This is going to look really good for me too, and
I hope to continue and put out other versions of tutorial books in the future.
Heaven knows I’ve learned what NOT to do, so the next book should be done
in 1/20th the time!

Probably – the best I could offer would be to let the people whose tutorials
are being used in the book the opportunity to purchase it at cost (which
would be the price minus the $5 for LE that we are adding on to the cost). I
would be happy to do that. Again – I am doing this as a fun project, and I’m
anticipating that we MIGHT sell a few hundred of these if we are lucky –
mostly to LE members. Sure, it would be great if this hit the #1 spot on the
NY Times bestseller lists, but I don’t foresee this happening. At best, it’s
going to be a quirky little book with a whole bunch of fun tutorials that you
can schlep with you from event to event and have all the authors sign their
projects for you. Harry Potter it’s not.

So – please understand. I totally respect the work of each and every one of
you who has contributed (and those who’s tutorials I wanted to use). I would
NEVER do anything sneaky or try and take advantage of any of you. I think
that those of you that know me personally, understand that I would never do
something like that. Integrity and trust and honor are things that you can’t
easily repair if you burn people, and I would never want to – or give anyone
the feeling that I did – mislead anyone.

Please, please, please – if anyone has ANY problems with either the
contracts, the wording, the costs, etc. Please feel free to PM me and I will do
my best to clear it up for you. I will not be angry or resentful if anyone does
not want to participate either. Just PM me and ask me to remove your
tutorial. No hard feelings.

Also, since we’ve had a few people drop out, I now have a little more room to
squeeze in a few more pages, so if any of you have a tutorial that you would
like to include, please slap it into a DOC format and send it to me.

Oh – and for those of you who are choosing to continue on with this project
– I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it. This has been going on for two
years, and been through many loving hands, who for one reason or another,
could not finish it – but did move it further along the path to completion. The
kindness many of you have shown to me is just awesome. I hope that when
this comes together, you will all be proud of all your work and patience, and
that the final result will exceed your expectations!

As an end note – I would really appreciate if people don’t post any mean or
inflammatory responses here regarding my post. If you want to complain,
please take it up with me personally. I’ve got a thick skin, and I won’t be
offended if you want to vent.

Jacinthe
2007-07-20, 12:30am
Hi Karen,
Sent you an PM!

Ever After
2007-07-20, 7:41am
Im Laurie Donnette, lol!!! but I think you have that figured out now,

Karen Hardy
2007-07-20, 10:48am
PM'd you Karen. :)

You are so awesome.
Thanks for helping me match up all those names
to their LE counterparts.

SadiesJewels
2007-07-20, 9:35pm
Hi Karen ... can we be sure that the articles we have submitted have not been edited (content wise) - spelling and grammer excepted? I had a disclaimer in it that I want to make sure is still there. Just checking - smile.

I personally was thrilled to have an article in print!

Karen Hardy
2007-07-20, 10:22pm
Hi Karen ... can we be sure that the articles we have submitted have not been edited (content wise) - spelling and grammer excepted? I had a disclaimer in it that I want to make sure is still there. Just checking - smile.

I personally was thrilled to have an article in print!

How about I shoot you over a copy of what I was given and
you can check it out? PM me if you don't get it in a few hours.

dgg112
2007-07-21, 10:49am
WOW Karen You're my hero for taking this on!!!!
thanks thanks thanks!!!!!

Ladyhoss67
2007-08-05, 7:02am
Just checking in how's it coming...?! Trying to wait very patiently....smiles.
I feel like a little kid waiting to go to Disney World!!

Thank you so much Karen for doing this, I KNOW it's a LOT of work.

Karen Hardy
2007-08-05, 9:07am
Just checking in how's it coming...?! Trying to wait very patiently....smiles.
I feel like a little kid waiting to go to Disney World!!

Thank you so much Karen for doing this, I KNOW it's a LOT of work.

You and me both, sister.
It's coming along. Right now, the holdup is waiting for
people to send back their authors release forms.

There was a bit of controversy (she said pointing to the bald spots on her head) about people not wanting
to sign these - but I let everyone know that I would have to be out of my ever loving mind to publish anyone
else's work without their written consent.

So now it's mostly a sit and wait game.
I am currently holed up in a beautiful cabin in the boonies
making jewelry, drinking bloody Mary's at 10 am and working
on my tan. When I get back, I will see how many of the releases
I received and proceed from there.

Ladyhoss67
2007-08-05, 10:54am
OHHH sounds nice!!

I need to still sign a release form for the rose tut and the pics if you need one for those too.
I'll get them printed,signed and mailed as soon as you email it to me.

thanks Karen

FordGirlGoneBad
2007-09-07, 11:16am
Any updates????:cry:

Karen Hardy
2007-09-08, 7:58am
I'm still waiting on quite a few release forms.
Without those, I can't publish the tutorials :sad:.

I told people I would give it until about 30 days after
I got back from Glass Stock, and then - depending on
how many tutorials I can use, I would either finish the
book or, if there's not enough, work with the authors
to help get them published in another format.

Ladyhoss67
2007-09-08, 8:30am
OH PRETTY PLEASE HURRY PEOPLE!!! I wanna see the book. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE sign your form and get it in.

Ms.Giggles
2007-09-08, 11:30am
Thank you Karen for taking this on. Will there be a tutorial on how you do your beautiful copper work? I have total necklace envy since I saw you wearing it at Glassstock.
Carol :)

Karen Hardy
2007-09-08, 11:34am
Thank you Karen for taking this on. Will there be a tutorial on how you do your beautiful copper work? I have total necklace envy since I saw you wearing it at Glassstock.
Carol :)

HA! I wish! That would take a gazillion pages and twice as many pictures.
Plus, I don't plan them, so they're never the same twice.

What I told people is that I wanted this to be the first one that I did, and then I
would do a wire one for my wire friends.

Bubbyanne
2007-09-08, 12:17pm
Can I be a wire friend? :poke: :D

Beadbug
2007-09-08, 4:58pm
I would love to have one of these so will be watching and reading and waiting....

cherie
2007-09-27, 10:04pm
me too...looking forward to it!

cherie
2007-10-30, 10:25pm
Any Updates???

Karen Hardy
2007-10-30, 11:05pm
Any Updates???

Hi Cherie,
It's never been "off" the burner, but I was very sick in the
last few months and I had to step back and take care of myself
for a while. I only just was able to get back on a torch about
two weeks ago after not being able to touch it since Glass
Stock in Sept.

Anyway, mostly better - so no pity party. I've got two more
people that just contacted me for their contracts (they're a
little slow about reading their emails - but they're both awfully cute,
so I cut them some slack :grin:). I'm finishing up some custom
orders and then going full time on this till it's done.

Ladyhoss67
2007-10-31, 4:58am
I'm glad your feeling better Karen.
Can we have a list of the people that still need their contracts letters so we can bug and pester them to hurry up,lol?

cherie
2007-10-31, 8:33am
Im glad to hear that you are feeling better. It's important to take care of yourself. Im not trying to rush you, I was just curious if it was still going to happen or not. I would Love to get my hands on this booklet, as Im sure a lot of other folks...

As for the folks who need to get their contracts to Karen... Could you hurry up!!!! :poke:

Please!!??!?!?!?!? :-):-):-):-)

Karen Hardy
2007-10-31, 8:49am
I did think about posting a list of the people who still
haven't returned their contracts...BUT....There was a
really big brouhaha, and a few people were pretty angry with me
for my...oh shall we say - bulldozer way of handling this.
Not blaming them, my wording left a lot to be desired
(to put it mildly). I tend to suffer from enthusiastic
foot-in-mouth syndrome on occasion :grin:.

So rather than put up a list and having people hassling
them, I chose to just let the people that wanted to participate
do so, and the people that didn't want to participate just sit it out.
No hard feelings.

krisdaka
2007-10-31, 9:12am
Well how about a post that has the participants? I'd like to see that!
Glad your feeling better Karen!

Deneen
2007-12-11, 7:08am
Any updates?
Thanks!

Rachael's Mom
2007-12-11, 9:23am
I would love one of these books...

Karen Hardy
2007-12-12, 9:57am
Here's the latest.
I'm waiting for the Graphic designer to get back from
a trip. It's supposed to be ready right around
the holidays (knock, knock).

Karen Hardy
2007-12-31, 10:45am
Another update. I'm just loving this.
Now the GA is sick as a dog. Her Granddaughter
has Scarlet Fever. WTF? The whole house is testing
positive for Strep too. Argh.

bead crazy
2008-01-08, 2:44am
darn, Are we soup yet?

Karen Hardy
2008-01-08, 12:05pm
darn, Are we soup yet?

Nope. I'm still waiting for them to get over the flu (and/or strep and/or scarlet fever).
This is killing me. I hate having to wait on other people.

All I can say is - next time (if indeed, this ever rolls out :roll:) I know what
NOT to do. That's for sure! Next one will be done all in house. If I didn't have
to farm out stuff to other people, it would have been done 4 months ago!

cherie
2008-01-30, 2:06pm
I wish it were 4 months ago ;)

adee
2008-01-30, 2:19pm
THANK YOU!! You have been marvellous!!:love::love:
~adee

Jacinthe
2008-02-11, 1:51pm
*puts some energy into these people that are holding up the party, getting their acts together*

Thanks Karen!

Karen Hardy
2008-02-11, 2:56pm
*puts some energy into these people that are holding up the party, getting their acts together*

Thanks Karen!

Right now the blame falls squarely on my tush.
I sent another email to my Graphic designer
to see if I can stop by later today with the
final prints.

*like I said - NEXT time I'll know all the pitfalls to
avoid :lol:.

Karen Hardy
2008-03-20, 5:05pm
*note: I copied this from a thread in the bathroom today.
Some people wanted to know if this project was still going
on - and this was my response. It is JUST to keep everyone
updated, and shouldn't be taken as a rant, a complaint or
just me being bitchy in general :lol:. I just wanted to make sure
that all the authors who have been waiting SOOOO patiently
are not left out of the communication loop.

The LE tutorial book is STILL in the works. Elizabeth did a smashing job of
gathering the info and pulling it together, and then when she was unable to
complete it - I stepped in.

It's taken ages to get everything together properly and make sure that
everyone's butt is covered in the process. It took many months to get all the
signed releases returned for the tutorials (some of which had to be custom
tailored to keep the talent happy with the wording). The tutorials came in
all kinds of shapes and sizes and formats - so it's been a struggle to get
everything converted into a cohesive package.

In the midst of all this, I personally had a medical crisis which resulted in
me being out of commission for several months. Then everyone here was
very sick with the colds that were going around (three times!).
My Graphic designer came down with the flu, a really bad cold, and finally
Scarlett Fever (of all things!) before she finally had to drop out of this
project.

Right now, I have someone else working with me on the details that are left
to get this completed. Honestly, I could have it completed yesterday - but
because of all the objection, this has become a not-for-profit undertaking
and all the people working on it (including myself) are doing this in their
spare time for no moolah - so I'm definitely relying on the "kindness of
strangers". I actually just priced it out today with a firm that does stuff like
this, and in spite of me dropping the phrase "NOT FOR PROFIT" about
a gazillion times, it still came to four figures. So again - since I don't have
an unlimited staff of Graphic designers at my beck and call like Lark Books or
Step by Step Magazines, I'm doing the best I can with bribes of beads and
baubles.

Even though I've been asked, I have been hesitant about putting together
a printed listing of all the tutorials included, because I didn't want to have to
commit people if they received a better offer for their tutorials elsewhere.
I didn't think that would be fair to them. Once the book is uploaded, THEN
I will put an index page together so people can see what is included.

For what it's worth - the lessons I have learned from doing this have
guaranteed that ANY other project I do of this nature in the future will
go MUCH more smoothly. I personally made a TON of mistakes - both in
underestimating the time it would take to put together something of
this nature, and of course - my lovely faux pas where I pissed an incredible
amount of people off and hurt a lot of feelings in the beginning. But hey,
we live and we learn. I think that in in spite of (and probably because of)
all the criticism I received, it really helped make me a better person
(crossing fingers).

So - that's where that stands. The book is still on. I work on it every spare
second I get, and I have someone working on the cover as we speak.

...and for the record, there is also no immediate gratification in the publishing
world. I have several friends who have books published, and their books
took several years to come to print. It is a very rare occasion where someone
writes a book and has it come out in a very short time (unless it involves
you having sex with someone famous or politically connected. Then all bets
are off).

If anyone else has any questions about this, PLEASE feel free to email me
and I will glad to answer them for you :wave:.

Ladyhoss67
2008-03-20, 7:43pm
CLAPPING....... good for you

I am waiting with much excitment!!

Karen Hardy
2008-03-20, 7:52pm
CLAPPING....... good for you

I am waiting with much excitment!!

Thanks!
Like I wrote in the other thread...if I ever do another one of these
I'm going to plan it around the flu season. All the colds and illnesses
have cost, by my best estimates, at least 6 months worth of delays.

And the sad thing is, when you're sick you're home with ALL this time
on your hands and you don't even have the energy to turn the monitor on.

Lizabeads
2008-03-20, 8:19pm
Thanks!
Like I wrote in the other thread...if I ever do another one of these
I'm going to plan it around the flu season. All the colds and illnesses
have cost, by my best estimates, at least 6 months worth of delays.

And the sad thing is, when you're sick you're home with ALL this time
on your hands and you don't even have the energy to turn the monitor on.

Karen, It is so sweet of you to pat me on the back. I REALLY appreciate it, BUT..... this book is going to be soooo much more than I was going to make it. I KNOW how hard you have had to work on this... especially with all the hurdles that have had to be jumped. You will be glad to be through with it I am sure! You need to PAT yourself on the back as well for putting forth so much time and effort. I know it will be fantastic! You may have learned what not to do next time and I have learned NOT TO TAKE on something you have NO experience doing! :waving:

Karen Hardy
2008-03-20, 9:03pm
HA! You did LOTS of work on it too, sweets. Don't sell yourself short.
As for patting myself on the back...well...right now it's more like
a foot lower than the shoulder blades. I'm kicking myself in the butt until I
actually get it uploaded :grin:

Marie C
2008-03-23, 2:48pm
Karen, thanks to you and all of the others that have put sooooooooooo much time into this project. We REALLY do appreciate you and are looking forward to the finished product! Thanks again!

Warmly, Marie C

krfteldy
2008-03-23, 6:35pm
Karen,

Thanks so much for all the time, work and heart you've put into this project. I can't wait!

Nancy L.

bluecatbeads
2008-03-27, 2:04am
I just read through this whole thread and this is the first time I have ever been on this site and I have to say that I am so excited about this book coming out. I will happily buy it. Thank you to everyone who worked on it....

Aleina

Karen Hardy
2008-05-31, 11:01am

Judi_B
2008-05-31, 11:04am
=D>=D>=D> How do I get one?!?!

mandalinn
2008-05-31, 11:09am
Oooh I want one. :) =D>

Karen Hardy
2008-05-31, 11:12am
Alright all you wonderful people....
Your waiting has FINALLY Paid off!!!

Yes IT IS HERE!!!

And the cost? A whopping $13.83 (plus applicable shipping charges)!

First and foremost, I want to thank all the artists that contributed to this.
Without you guys, this wouldn't be happening at ALL!

I'd like to thank Elizabeth for doing all the hard work of rounding up these
tutorials and getting the ball rolling. You're GREAT, babe!

I'd like to thank Patty Pulliam for this FANTASTIC cover design. I asked her
to just put something nice and basic together, and she went ALL ABOVE AND
BEYOND to come up with this awesome design. Patty - you rock!

Book goes on sale Midnight tonight! I will post the URL to buy the book
then in the Bathroom area and in this thread.

Table of contents to follow....

Karen Hardy
2008-05-31, 11:13am
Here's what's in the book!

Table of Contents

Description Page

Foreword………………………………………………. 1
Disclaimer……………………………………………… 2
How to Make a Cased Horizontal……………………… 3
Holed Surface Decorated Floral Heart
by Amy Trescott
Baby Chicks by Sara Hoyt……………………………... 9
Brass Shim Stamps by Bobby Pedersen……………….. 11
Flower Petal Tutorial by Bobby Pedersen……………... 14
Making Rose Murrini by Sara Hoyt…………………… 20
Small Off Mandrel Leaf Tutorial ……………………... 23
by Bobby Pedersen
How to Make a Froggie by Wizzie Brown ……………. 27
Frosty Tutorial by Melodie Triche…………………….. 32
Goddess Bead Tutorial by Sarah J Schalken …………. 34
Anne’s Homespun Plaids by Anne Ricketts…………… 39
Mini Flip Flops tutorial by Karen Hardy………………. 40
Off mandrel Dolphin Tutorial by Mike Marsh ……….. 41
Pumpkin Tutorial by Brandie Rosenberry…………….. 43
Seahorse Tutorial by Kim Hart ……………………….. 44
Silver Foil and Wire Lentil Tutorial ………………….. 51
by Mary Beth
Sadie’s Hollow Heart Tutorial ………………………… 52
by Sadie Cuming
Bead Gallery …………………………………………... 58
Vendor Coupons……………………

Marcy
2008-05-31, 12:13pm
Oh, I can't wait. Sounds fabulous.
Marcy

Lizabeads
2008-05-31, 3:49pm
Karen, Thanks for the pat on the back! B U T
You did the hardest work, out of pocket money and put up with some smack along the way. By the looks of it YOU ROCK !! This is WAAAAY more than I had in mind or was willing to do. The price is also great! I wish you lots of luck now cause you are going to have more orders than you expected.

CUDO's TO YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :waving:=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>

Karen Hardy
2008-05-31, 3:54pm
..and of course - a BIGGG thank you to Corri, without whom
none of this would be possible.

Thank you sweets! We love LE! It's a great community!

Maria Louisa
2008-05-31, 3:57pm
Great work Karen, you finally pulled it off.
I sure would want a copy of it. PLEASE.

Karen Hardy
2008-06-01, 12:54am
Here's the info~
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1884423#post1884423

Marcy
2008-06-01, 6:30am
Bought mine!
Thanks for doing this.
Marcy

opportunity-shop
2008-06-05, 5:05am
Yahoo!! This looks great. What a long, labor of love. Thank you, Barb

Veda's Beads
2008-06-05, 10:59am
WooHoo!! Got one!

Bobby
2008-06-05, 11:25am
WAY TO GO ! ! !

A big thank you to all for the time that was spent on this.........I know this was a huge labor of love.

Thank you again ! ! !

Ordering mine and my daughters tonight....and maybe one for my little sister.....can't wait.

Bobby

Karen Hardy
2008-06-05, 12:01pm
We've sold over 100 copies so far. That's pretty cool for something
that's pretty much out of the public eye.

If anyone is on other forums, and they think that the people there
might like it, please feel free to publicize it and let people know
where to get it! There are some great tutorials in this book.
I wish I had something like this when I was first starting out.

Rachael's Mom
2008-06-05, 7:05pm
I ordered one YAY!

La Guera
2008-06-06, 8:02am
Ordered mine also.

Thanks for all your work.

Jeanette

splynda
2008-06-07, 1:47pm
Just received MY BOOK! I'm so impressed! I knew the tutorials would be good, but you can also be proud of the good printing job Lulu did. I opened the box and stood at the kitchen counter and was too absorbed to even sit down. I'm going back now to read every word. Thank you everyone !