Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Froggie Video

SamanthaBeads
2008-03-08, 9:00pm
I have been hooked on You Tube lately, so I decided to try my hand at making a video of my own, so I made a video of me making one of my froggie beads! I hope ya like it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT_0yHVC_1M

Samantha

Tancaro
2008-03-08, 9:16pm
Wonderful! Just love the little froggy "butt"! I like the way you hold the mandrel up so we can see what you've done as you go along. Your technique is so different than the way I've been trying to do it. I've been putting the feet on first and then the body. I have trouble keeping it all warm and the feet keep popping off!

Very nice video!

houptdavid
2008-03-08, 9:40pm
Cool...
Is you "studio" in your closet? LOL

SamanthaBeads
2008-03-08, 9:54pm
LOL! Yes David technically my studio is in my closet, which is also my sons bedroom! Poor kid has no privacy! My bedroom is in the loft and just off that is the "closet" it's about 14 feet by 24 feet and it has a rod that holds clothes that runs about half of it. It's kind of a strange house that really only has one bedroom. I will see if I can get a pic to post it.

Samantha

SamanthaBeads
2008-03-08, 10:04pm
This is what it looks like inside my "closet" One side is mine and the other is my 17 year old sons. Im sure he would kill me for showing his messy side!

Samantha

jewelrybypatty
2008-03-08, 10:06pm
Thanks for sharing Samantha. I just love your frogs.

SamanthaBeads
2008-03-08, 10:10pm
Thanks Patty!

Samantha

Nouveau Glass Works
2008-03-08, 10:22pm
i thought your video was very interesting. some of us don't have chances to go to classes and this is a good way for me to actually see someone almost in person. i learn so much better watching then reading. the pictures were a little blurry but i could still get something out of watching. i would love to see you work on the base bead with the flowers or making the stringer you decorated the base bead with.
thanks
karen m

claybraes
2008-03-08, 10:29pm
That wee froggie has a very cute bum!! Thanks for the link.

doesdoes
2008-03-08, 10:50pm
Great tutorial Samantha... and your froggie is very darn cute :grin:

volkanokaren
2008-03-08, 11:04pm
Great tut, the frog is sweet, and the tunes were a pleasure.

Karen
Volkano Exotik

SamanthaBeads
2008-03-08, 11:39pm
Thanks guys!

Karen, maybe in the future I will do another video making the floral bead and the vine cane. The video thing is still a little new to me but I will keep trying.

CC2, sorry you didnt like the music, I rather enjoy it.

Samantha

theglasszone
2008-03-09, 12:03am
Samantha:

We'd LOVE YOU TO DO THE "BASE BEAD" VIDEO!!! And I say "You're doing us this great service by sharing", so play whatever the Hell you like!!! Isn't that what the "Volume" and "Mute" buttons are for! (Giggle!)

It's actually been forever since I heard that song...still cool, in my book!

DeAnne in CA

funky gems
2008-03-09, 12:30am
Thank you for posting this!! I could have never sat quietly and made the bead with the music playing... you must be very strong to resist singing!! I would have been singing away... in fact, I was as I watched the clip!!! Cute little froggy!!!
:biggrin: Wendy

pegz
2008-03-09, 5:48am
Very cool, thanks so much for taking the time to do it. I'll have to try that way, after I dig out of this snow. LOL! My frogs need work... if they ever turn out half as cute as yours I'd be thrilled!!

Thanks again!

Troll Lover
2008-03-09, 6:05am
Great video, gonna try it right away ;)!

mostlydetails
2008-03-09, 6:34am
Great demonstration! I like the music, must be an age thing. Beautiful floral bead, too. You've really perfected both. Thanks for sharing!

SamanthaBeads
2008-03-09, 8:28am
Thanks everyone for taking the time to look at my video and comment, I do appreciate it! Before I moved here to AL I used to watch TV in my studio while making beads, I dont have a TV in my "closet" yet so I am forced to listen to the radio, and yes normally I sing when I am making beads LOL! I had to refrain during the video...believe me when I say you would want to hear me belting out "you've lost that loving feeling" LOL!!!
I hope I can do more videos in the future, I will post them here if I do =)

Samantha

Troll Lover
2008-03-09, 8:33am
Like I said, I tried it: it's in the kiln and I loved doing it, great video!!!

SamanthaBeads
2008-03-09, 8:36am
That's awesome Troll Lover, you will have to post pictures when it comes out of the kiln so we can see! Glad you liked the video = )

Samantha

Jeanie
2008-03-09, 8:38am
And a star is born........a cute little froggie! Thanks so much for doing this video. I'm "financially challenged" and can't take advantage of the wonderful classes that are available and these videos are the next best thing.

(Also enjoyed the music!)

Thanks,
Jeanie

Troll Lover
2008-03-09, 8:42am
I'll take a pic when it's out Samantha, I'll show you :). It was fun to make.

deewiz38
2008-03-09, 8:52am
I'm a newbie and thought your video rocked! I didn't think It was that blurry based on all the other ones out there. Great job, please show us some more.\\:D/

Deana

Jane P
2008-03-09, 9:11am
That was great Samantha - thanks so much for sharing your cute froggie with us.
(That tune is now firmly stuck in my head for the rest of the day:lol:)

Tropical Heat
2008-03-09, 10:03am
That is a great tutorial Samantha! I enjoyed the music as I'm sure you do while making your adorable little frogs! Thanks for sharing! Oh, and the "blue" in that suit/dress hanging in your closet is very pretty. Do they make that in glass!

imagesinglass
2008-03-09, 10:26am
Thank you Samantha, for a wonderful tutorial. I've been wanting to try frogs but just couldn't seem to wrap my head around the steps...this is so very helpful!!!!! I'll be trying it out today...with my radio blaring!!!!

Suzanne

SamanthaBeads
2008-03-09, 10:54am
Suzanne, share your froggie when your done, I would love to see it =)

Samantha

SandyQ
2008-03-09, 11:25am
That was awsome. Loved the tunes too. I don't know if my memory will serve me well, but I think I'll attempt to try this :) You all should see me when I am at the torch. I got my IPOD hooked up and my hub is usually in the garage with me tinkering around while I torch and he has his radio on in the garage and I have my IPOD going and I sing what I hear and it drives him BZERK! lol. - and I know 100% that my singing voice sucks TERRIBLY LOL. He said he is so sorry he got me that for Christmas LOL. I told him that was the best gift he has EVER gotten me. I use it ALL the time :)

Teena
2008-03-09, 12:10pm
Great Tut on making a frog! What size rods do you use? I started making frogs from Corina's book, and like others said, the feet snap off. Good to see other ways of making frogs. I use different size stringers but your's looked like 7-8mm's. That takes alot of control to use large rods.
Yes please make the floral bead tut!
Teena

SamanthaBeads
2008-03-09, 12:26pm
Thanks Sandy and Teena!

Teena, I am using regular sized rods for the hiney and head and regular sized stringer for the legs. I hate to pull stringer, even though I do all the time. I find it more difficult to work smaller then I do larger, but everyone is different.
I will try and do a floral tut...but I gotta tell ya, mine arent that great.

Samantha

Vangy
2008-03-09, 3:02pm
Thank you for sharing. I am inspired by the way you do the eyes... something new for me to try!

SamanthaBeads
2008-03-09, 8:17pm
Thanks Vangy, hope the eyes work out for ya = )

Samantha

Margrieten
2008-03-10, 9:42am
Hi Samantha,

Just want to give you my compliments! Great video's, thank you for showing. Your frog is really nice!

beadysam
2008-03-11, 9:33am
I will try and do a floral tut...but I gotta tell ya, mine arent that great.

Samantha

Ignore her![-X I am the very proud owner of one of Samantha's lovely Froggy Floral beads and I have to tell you, its stunning. Even the frog has a flower on its tush!:lol:

I haven't watched the video yet cos this PC has no speakers, but I've added it to my favourites and I'll watch it later on the laptop - I'm looking forward to it!:happy:

SamanthaBeads
2008-03-11, 11:28am
Thanks Margriet and thank you too Sam, hope u like them video when ya get a chance to see it = )

Samantha

Carols Glass
2008-03-21, 5:45pm
Samantha, thanks to you I made my first froggy bead ever! I was making an encased floral bead (also thanks to you) and the rubino I put on the flower petals looked like it was burnt so I decided to try to cover it up with a froggy. Unfortunately, I had not pulled any stringer for the legs or the fingers and toes, etc. I had to improvise.

Now, I'm going to try to make a turtle after I watch your video on that one more time!

This is so much fun and I have you to thank for it.

SamanthaBeads
2008-03-21, 7:07pm
Carol, that is so wonderful! Hope you will share your froggie and the turtle when you try it.
To be honest with you...I dont pull the stringer for the legs and toes...I just use the factory made ones, they work just as well if you can get them thin enough.

Samantha

BeadMaven
2008-03-22, 1:43pm
This is great, thank you!

I have one of your froggie beads from years ago Samantha, way before I started lampworking myself. He is still one of my favorites ;)

I watched the turtle one too...."Life in the fast lane" playing in the bg on that one. :lol:

SamanthaBeads
2008-03-22, 2:04pm
You're welcome BeadMaven. Funny that you have one of my older frogs...bet its kinda fugly compared to the ones I make now. I am glad it's one of your favorites though!

Samantha

Carols Glass
2008-03-22, 3:22pm
Yeah, Samantha, you are making me want to hear fast music. I put in Petra which is a fast Christian music but the darn thing kept skipping so I took it off. Back to mellow yellow, haha!
Anyways, unfortunately my turtle is wider than it is long because I guess it wasn't a round enough bead, but I still like it! My froggy, poor thing has blue legs and arms (I didn't know blue looks green with my torch glasses on), green body and hands and feet (well, the feet and hands were made with vine cane, so they are actually multi-colored). My DS said it looks like an alien frog! And it didn't even hide the ugly petals. I'm keeping all my fuglies beside me at the torch to show what I shouldn't do next time!

SamanthaBeads
2008-03-22, 6:20pm
Well Carol, I hope your not gonna come in here and tease us and not show pics?!!??

Samantha

Carols Glass
2008-03-22, 8:26pm
Samantha,
Are you going to make me show pics and humiliate myself?
Even after I told you that the frog's arms and legs are blue instead of green...........and my turtle is double-wide and looks like an alien?
I'll take pics on Monday. I love making people laugh so I'll post pics.
I'll even post pics of my latest fishies, just for you :-).

SamanthaBeads
2008-03-23, 8:16am
Carol, I dont think theres anything humiliating about it, its all a learning process. I wish I could find some of my old pics to show. Besides I think the different things you did make them special and your own, different and unique = )

Samantha

I will go thru my pc and see if I can find some of the old ones I did too.

Carols Glass
2008-03-23, 12:23pm
I love my fishy and turtle that I did last night, oh yes and the froggy, too.

That would be so nice of you to share your first ones. Then, I won't feel so humiliated, LOL!

The thing that embarrasses me the most is the blue arms and legs on a green frog, LOL and just wait till you see where I put the eyes! I worked on placement more last night.

The first times I do something, it takes everything in my memory bank just to remember all the things to put on. Placement, color, everything else is just not there yet!

I am doing different things on them now to make them my own. At first, I'm just trying to get through it without having it come loose from the mandrel or crack!

You have tons of views on your videos, I'm wondering how many fishies and frogs and turtles are being made out there because of your generosity.

SamanthaBeads
2008-03-23, 1:07pm
I couldnt find any pics, but I do have some of my old beads from about 4-5 years ago. I think the important thing to remember is this doesnt happen overnight. It takes a lot of practice and patience. I think its great to see how people have grown over the years. Its also great to put your own spin on things. I suspect a lot of people will try and do things the exact way I do, and figure out something else that works for them better. I always wanted instant gratification, I soon learned that wasnt possible and just kept practicing. I cant imagine how many fugly beads of mine are out there that people actually bought...but ya know they must have liked them or they wouldnt have bought them.
Any how, as you can see from my pic, my fish and frogs were not the most attractive beads.

Samantha

SamanthaBeads
2008-03-23, 1:46pm
Lookie here Carol, I found this one from 6/07 just for you! See the legs dont match the body! :biggrin:

Samantha

Carols Glass
2008-03-23, 3:01pm
It's so cute though! That makes me feel not so humiliated, LOL! Was yours on purpose or by accident like mine? And the others you posted from years ago are adorable, too! I do see your progress though.

You are so right though, it's PPP! I'm working on making Maltese dogs. I have 5 real live Maltese dogs to look at and work from. I think I worked on one for an hour and a half last night, including one that went into the torch water. I got so tired of doing the eyes and nose over and over. It is worth it, though, when you wake up and run to the kiln and it's a good one! I want to do lots of Maltese's so they eventually don't take so long. Maybe I can get some kind of routine going on them?

Anyway, I'll post pics tomorrow!

SamanthaBeads
2008-03-23, 3:18pm
Yup the 2nd frog with th vine legs was on purpose, dont think I ever sold it because I didnt like it, I guess it must be around here some where, or still packed.

it is true Carol, you do get a routine down. What use to take me an hour to do now only take a half hour, and I think the more I make a certain bead the better it looks.

Samantha

Carols Glass
2008-03-24, 11:36am
The first one I did is on the left, the second on the right! I'm very partial to the second one :-).

SamanthaBeads
2008-03-24, 2:01pm
Carol, they are both cute! I like the 2nd one too...he is cute with the mouth you gave him!

Samantha

Carols Glass
2008-03-24, 4:08pm
Thanks, Samantha, I think he's got that "did I do that?" look, hehe.

Torchsis
2008-03-29, 9:22am
Oh Carol,

Your froggie looks so sweet and innocent. I watched how to make a hollow bead today so maybe I can make a frog soon.

Carols Glass
2008-04-06, 12:30pm
Thanks, sis. You are so sweet, too!

I came back here to watch the video again but it wouldn't play for me. It got to the froggy head and then pfffffffffttttt, it wouldn't go any further. Is it my computer I wonder?

Carols Glass
2008-04-06, 12:40pm
Ok, I tried again and it played, never mind!

I love your froggy video, Samantha and the music, too!

Vangy
2008-04-06, 1:24pm
Carol, it took three tries to get past the head for me... worth it to see the tutorial again. I must have watched it six times now.

Carols Glass
2008-04-06, 1:47pm
I lost count now, hehe!

klcbeads
2008-04-09, 1:36pm
I really liked the video. I own a couple of Samantha's beads, one being the froggie and they are just so cute. It's amazing to watch a frog get made!!! Thanks Samantha!

robinbrown
2008-04-10, 7:25am
I LOVED THIS!!!

Can you do a bunny tut? I have one of your bunny beads and love her!!

SamanthaBeads
2008-04-17, 8:20pm
Glad you liked it Robin, sorry it took me so long to come back and answer you...I wont be doing a bunny tut. anytime soon...I do gotta keep some of my secrets = )

Samantha

asimeral
2010-01-03, 11:58pm
Samantha,

I ran across this thread, and tried to watch your video... Alas, it was removed... Any chance of you reposting it? Or is there somewhere else I could access it?

raindance
2010-01-05, 11:01pm
Oh NO! REMOVED! I never got a chance to see it!](*,)

SamanthaBeads
2010-01-07, 8:53pm
Sorry, I did re-do it, and its on Etsy.

Samantha

angelique_redhead
2010-02-23, 6:24pm
You really should put your Etsy in your link. So for those not in the know. ;) http://www.etsy.com/shop/SamanthaBeads?ga_search_query=samanthabeads&ga_search_type=seller_usernames :love: Angelique

Sorry, I did re-do it, and its on Etsy.

Samantha

SamanthaBeads
2010-02-23, 10:06pm
Thanks Angelique! **hugs** I havent been on much! Work is soooo crazy!

Samantha