Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Aim 84BD vs Caldera Xpress

tnehlers
2008-03-20, 10:17am
Well, I have a "best kiln" question too!
I am trying to decide between the Aim 84BD (Bartlett controller) and the Caldera Express. I'm kind of wondering what the major differences are. They both seem to be about the same size & same firing temps, and both have a bead door. They are both about the same price, and I wouldn't have to pay shipping on either.
I want to anneal beads on mandrel, I'd like to be able to batch anneal, and it would be nice to fuse (but it isn't a deal-breaker). I am aslo wondering what I can fuse - can either fit a mold for a small candy dish, like 7" around? What else can I fuse in them? I'm more interested in houseware than jewelry for fusing. Soap dishes, votive holders, candy dishes, etc. Again, though, fusing isn't a deal-breaker. I can always get a bigger kiln for fusing later.
Right now I am primarily interested in on mandrel annealing and batch annealing. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I use soft glass (mostly 104 coe).
Thanks!!

Hels
2008-03-20, 2:42pm
Since no one else responded, I thought I'd mention that I have a Paragon Caldera w/ bead door and window. It's a dream!

The kiln literally comes in 'parts' that you stack. At first, I thought this was really strange, but I like it a lot now.

The bead door is small (2"), so say you are doing a sculpture, the ONLY way to put it in would be via the top, which would release a LOT of heat. But if you are just doing beads, it's more than adequate. The 2" door helps with insulation a lot, so you wouldn't have the risk of thermal cracking of a larger door that cools the entire kiln too quickly.

Adding a large piece you are working on would be a problem if it didn't fit in the bead door... but it would be no more a problem than ANY smaller kiln. The only exception would be the ones that had the hood that raised from a flat platform, holding in the heat, and those cost thousands.

The controller is a dream. The first day was a learning curve to figure out the programming, but after you do, it's just fantastic and so easy to use. I love it, and after owning one, if I needed to, I'd buy the same one again. I have never seen an AIM, so don't have any comments, but I'm totally happy with the caldera:).

Also, the kiln is stainless and firebrick. Easy to clean, easy to take apart, easy to use, and looks like it can last decades.

Emily
2008-03-20, 3:47pm
I have an 84BD, and everything Helen said about the kiln design of the Caldera is true about the kiln design of the 84BD. I don't recall the exact dimensions of the bead door, but it's about that size.

I think the difference is going to be the controller (since for you, it sounds like there are no differences for shipping or price -- are the warranty provisions similar?). Sorry -- I have a Fuji controller on mine, so I can't give you any advice there. If you're buying from someplace local, can you play with the controllers and see which one is easier to use? Does one store more programs than the other? Does one enable you to use programs with more steps than another? (I actually haven't found that to be too important for annealing -- I rarely use all 4 steps on mine -- but maybe it matters more if you're fusing.) Can you look at, or maybe download, the manuals for both controllers and see if one makes more sense than the other?

In addition to the Aim, I also have a little Paragon SC-2 kiln. Its controller is easy to use except that it makes me figure out how many degrees per hour I want the kiln temperature to rise. That's math, and I hate it! (OK, you don't have to be Einstein, but still . . . ) For the Fuji controller I have on the Aim, I just enter the time that I want the kiln to take getting from one temp to another, and the kiln does it -- no figuring required by me. There are other reasons why the Fuji isn't my favorite controller ever, but that's one feature I do like. I'm just saying, is all.

tnehlers
2008-03-20, 4:14pm
Thanks for the input! I think I am leaning toward the Aim, but I am not positive. I just found out it is on sale from Dennis Brady and it looks like even though I will have to pay shipping, it will save me about $100. I am thinking that since both kilns seem to fit my needs, it is worth saving the money!
The posts above definately help me feel more confident about my decision. I like knowing that it is durable. It is a lot of money to spend (for me, anyway) so I need all the reassurance I can get! lol The size of the bead door isn't an issue for me; I think 2" will be more than adequate. I make very small beads (under an inch long). I don't plan on making larger things for quite a while, if ever. I've just started thinking of upgrading my torch (I'm on a HH now) and that won't happen for a while (probably a year or so). Even then I am looking at small torches, like the Bobcat.
I still have not completely made up my mind, though, so if anyone has more input, that would be fantastic!

Actually editing to say I am just not quite ready to buy the kiln right now. So, I still have plenty of time to make up my mind and all the help I can get is great!

Hels
2008-03-20, 4:28pm
Well, I don't know how much the AIM's are, but I'm an instant gratification person, and I got my Digital Caldera w/ bead door and 2" window at the top from Clay King in 3 days from the time of order. It cost me less than $700 WITH shipping ($676.88 to the penny).

I had a kiln before I had a torch or even ventilation, and I ordered both before the kiln. The torch shipped VERY fast too (FlameDame had a sale, another great person to buy from). Clay King is unreal fast, the kiln shipped the day I paid for it, and fantastic to buy from.

cadia
2008-03-20, 4:54pm
i have the AIM , I like it, that's all I know about kilns!!

tnehlers
2008-03-20, 5:25pm
I know that I can get either the AIM 84BD or the Caldera for about $600, and I believe I can pick them up to save money (one is very close, one is close enough). I believe that is a pretty good price for either kiln. One is at kilndr.com and one is at glassmountainarts.com. Although now that I think about it, I never really asked if I could pick them up, I just assumed that if they had them in stock, I could pick them up. Huh. That might be something I should ask...

Dennis Brady
2008-03-20, 5:50pm
Well, I don't know how much the AIM's are, but I'm an instant gratification person, and I got my Digital Caldera w/ bead door and 2" window at the top from Clay King in 3 days from the time of order. It cost me less than $700 WITH shipping ($676.88 to the penny).

I had a kiln before I had a torch or even ventilation, and I ordered both before the kiln. The torch shipped VERY fast too (FlameDame had a sale, another great person to buy from). Clay King is unreal fast, the kiln shipped the day I paid for it, and fantastic to buy from.

I have the little AIM 84BD (with bead door and Bartlett controller) on sale for $450.

Elleth
2008-03-20, 7:01pm
I have the little AIM 84BD (with bead door and Bartlett controller) on sale for $450.
Dennis when does this sale end?

Dennis Brady
2008-03-20, 8:21pm
Dennis when does this sale end?

April 1st (and that ain't no joke)
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There will be a new sale (with all different things) every month.

Wendyki
2008-03-20, 10:20pm
if you go with the aim pay the extra 30 or 40 bucks and get the 94bd its 1 inch bigger all the way around. Its the kiln I use Also make sure you check the lead time on aim sometimes they take forever which sucks when you are really excited about getting a new kiln I waited almost 4 months for mine

tnehlers
2008-03-21, 5:42am
Thanks for the tip, Wendiki.

beadsoncypress
2008-03-21, 6:12am
What I like about the AIM is that I can change the arrangement. I purchased a shelf and posts and can anneal two layers of beads at one time. I did not get the digital controller, which I should have. I can also take the bead door out and fuse without any heat loss from the bead door opening. When I use the bead door, I put fiber blanket over the door (it doesn't seal tightly) to help hold in the heat. Make sure whomever you buy it from has it IN STOCK.....I waited 4 months for mine after payment!! susan

glassartist
2008-03-22, 11:16am

THAT is a great price!!!
I have an AIM 84BD and I love it!
Pam S