Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Natural Gas installation for 8 torches?

Cosmo
2005-11-24, 5:43pm
Things are really moving along on our studio. Now, we need to look at a natural gas setup. We've concluded it will be much easier than propane because of the setup of the studio. There isn't an easy way to be able to store propane outside, so we are going to run natural gas. Plus, I've heard from several people that the Barracudas we are going to be using run great on NG.

So, here's my question...

How much pressure do I need to have to run 8 Barracudas? I assume I'll need a booster to be able to run them. But, I'm not sure the best way to do it. Also, I'm not sure the best way to hook them up. Would I run the NG line to a distribution block, and attach the torches to that? Or run a separate line from the NG line to each torch?

Dale M.
2005-11-24, 9:04pm
Probably the question is more of VOLUME...

Do you know what torch manufacturer recommends... That is PSI and LPM requirements to function properly...

If you are considering running NG anything above standard delivery pressure you will have to have gas company run in medium pressure line 3-5 psi or get NG booster....

http://www.gas-tec.com/products.html

Enough boosters to run 8 torches is going to be big bucks. Think basic unit is almost $1000 and it may only run one torch possible two torches. Yes there are some big units but utility line into building may not have capacity to handle you boosting up enough gas to supply 8 torches.

The plumbing part is easy.... Depending how studio is setup I would put as much plumbing in metal piping as you can and keep hoses as short as possible...

--Edit/Update--

Bethlehem Barracuda

http://www.bethlehemburners.com/bcuda.htm

Gas.. For one torch...

8.4 cuft-hour
238. 6 lph

For 8 torches..

67.2 cuft-hour
19068.8 lph

For Oxygen - 1 torch

42 cuft-hour
1192 lph

For 8 torches..

336 cuft-hour
9536 lph...

You are going to also need some large oxygen supply too...

You may have to consider liquid oxygen...

I think for a studio 8 Barracuda torches is way to much...
I think you ought to consider some Piranha's in the mix...

Maybe 2-3 Barracudas and 5-6 Piranhas

Dale M.

Mr. Smiley
2005-11-25, 5:32am
Keep in mind, those fuel consumption specs are full tilt.... wide ass open! I highly doubt you will be running them that way very often. It really depends on what type of classes you will be having. If you're doing big boro marble classes, you may come close to that consumption in short bursts... it would be good to have it available for those times... just don't be afraid of those numbers. You aren't going to suck a liquid dewar down in no time. ;) Call your gas company and explain to them what you want to do. They may be able to pipe in a higher pressure line like Dale said. They would be the ones I would talk to. Give them the specs and let them know you would like this flow available... see what they say. I know Ron just installed cudas in a NG teaching studio. I'll ask him more specifics.