Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : RAKU

mewsicmama
2008-04-07, 4:19am
I see frit and chunks occasionally. Is there literally a Raku rod available somewhere, or is it all put together from a combination of other glasses? I'm new, so please don't laugh too hard!

Shari 8-[

clutter73
2008-04-07, 4:30am
Glass Diversions carries the Raku rods. And Robin is great to work with.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

barbaracollins
2008-04-07, 4:44am
Ditto as to Robin!

silkys
2008-04-07, 4:49am
Jon at LB supplies has it also .
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Just Nancy
2008-04-07, 5:02am
I bought both COEs in rod form. Not from Robin, but she is a great option.

cherie
2008-04-07, 5:38am
Nancy, was there one coe hat you liked better than the other? I know there is a raku thread about working with the 96 raku, but I was wondering/hoping that the 104 is different or easier to get the colors out of?

I bought both COEs in rod form. Not from Robin, but she is a great option.

Just Nancy
2008-04-07, 5:43am
My opinion is if you have luck with the original RAKU, in rod or frit, stick with it. If not the 104 for me, tended to be easier. But I also liked not having to worry if I used a little or a lot. Most everyone else I know who has tried both prefers the original.

Emily
2008-04-07, 8:36am
Shari, "raku" is really Reichenbach's Iris Orange, 96 COE. When Val Cox started selling it in small quantities in frit form (so we beadmakers didn't have to buy a kilo at a time), she named it "raku jitterbug," and the name stuck. Fairly recently, a version in 104 COE came out. You can use the 96 COE with 104 glass like Effetre in small quantities.

The 96 COE is available in glassblower's size rods (about an inch thick), "cane," which is the size that we're used to for lampworking, and frit. In addition to the sites mentioned, you can buy Iris Orange (raku) at Olympic Color Rod, which carries the full line of Reichenbach. I don't have OCR's web address handy, but you can Google for it.

Toni Lutman
2008-04-07, 8:58am
I use A LOT of the Iris Orange, both in frit and cane form, so I end up getting mine at Olympic also. The website is To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. . You have to go to the Lampworking tab, then choose which maker and coe you are interested in. They sell by the kilo (or half or quarter). Here's (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.) the link directly to the 96 coe raku cane (R-108-C).

zen-mom
2008-04-07, 11:20am
If you'd like to buy in person I carry the rod, frit and powder. The Mandrel is in Redondo Beach :)

tt4st
2008-04-07, 12:02pm
If you live anywhere near Redondo Beach you should go see Donna (Zen-Mom). Her little shop is loaded with glass, great customer service and a nice person too!

zen-mom
2008-04-07, 12:08pm
I'm blushing! Thank You Suzanne! :)

mewsicmama
2008-04-07, 12:39pm
Wow - Thank you to everyone who has contacted me!

The explanations of what it REALLY is, as well as all the helpful resources - very nice to have! I've never experienced such a helpful response to a post anywhere before. You all rock!

Shari in La Mirada

squid
2008-04-07, 3:19pm
I use A LOT of the Iris Orange, both in frit and cane form, so I end up getting mine at Olympic also. The website is To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. . You have to go to the Lampworking tab, then choose which maker and coe you are interested in. They sell by the kilo (or half or quarter). Here's (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.) the link directly to the 96 coe raku cane (R-108-C).

Make sure you get CANE as specified here, NOT ROD. Rod is glassblowing color and is about 2" diameter!