Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Beads won't come off!

bexrox
2008-04-17, 10:16pm
Does anyone have any tips (other than the usual) for getting beads off the mandrels? I am using the same kind of release that I always have (Frantz) and have it at its usual consistency. Lately my beads have been sticking so bad, I can't get them off! The only difference is slightly bigger beads and most trouble on the bigger (but not large hole) mandrels. Please help if you can!

Thanks,
Becky

Abacus Beads
2008-04-18, 7:59am
Have you put the mandrels with the beads on them in vinager? Try soaking them for a day and see if that helps. I have taken the mandrel and placed the point of the mandrel nearest the bead on a piece of wood and then tap the other end a few times with a small hammer or some such thing. If none of these help try checking the bead where it meets the mandrel and see if a small bit of melted glass didn't get stuck there. if so you can sometimes brake that bit of glass and free the rest of the bead.
Liz R

fourpawsglass
2008-04-18, 9:55am
I have heard putting them in the freezer helps.

ruthmartin
2008-04-18, 2:50pm
Try soaking the beads in rubbing alcohol--it can get between the bead release and the mandrel better than water.

ROC
2008-04-18, 3:01pm
Yep, I've done the freezer trick. They only need to be in 20 or 30 minutes. I've also tried "bouncing" the end of the mandrel on concrete. Both have been successful. My most troublesome are large cylinder beads (nothing to grab) and those on larger mandrels, as well. Good luck!

kramdas
2008-04-18, 3:13pm
I'm a concrete bouncer as well. Works like a charm! It's my pandora beads that have been giving me trouble lately. I add a little fabric softener to the water, and if that doesn't help I bounce each end of the mandrel on the patio a few times. Also helps to grip the mandrel right beside the bead with pliers and twist the bead off with a rubber pad to get a better grip. Good luck!

karrina
2008-04-18, 4:23pm
I'm not sure I understand about the concrete~ do you hold the bead in your hand and womp the mandrel on the concrete?

I've tried everything and these suckers move 1/4" then NOTHING!

kramdas
2008-04-18, 6:12pm
Karrina-The concrete-Hard to explain, easy to do lol! Hold the mandrel in your fist about 2" above the ground, mandrel end facing ground, then loosen your grasp on it so the mandrel free falls, hitting the concrete but still stays upright loose in your hand. You just want to create vibrations running through the mandrel-I think it's what loosens the bead release inside the bead...

Did that make any sense whatsoever?! :S Maybe someone else can explain it better?

When you say they move 1/4", is that towards the end of the mandrel or do they spin in place? I brush off all excess bead release on my mandrel before trying to remove the bead, and sometimes I have to soak them overnight...

CelesteK
2008-04-18, 8:21pm
I use one of my secret weapons--I get one of my teen-aged sons to twist the beads off the mandrel. They have a little more hand strength than I do and get a real kick out of helping.

Celeste

melzip
2008-04-18, 9:22pm
This is what I do to my super-stuck beads....

Soak your bead in water for about 15 minutes.
Grab the end of your mandrel with a pair of pliers. Pull and twist the bead with a little force. You should feel the bead release breaking up. Slowly continue twisting, and work the bead off the mandrel.

Works for me all the time. I do like the concrete banger method.. I might try that next time. :biggrin:

alexm
2008-04-18, 9:39pm
The concrete banging method works practically every time, unless I've cracked the bead release. It does nasty things to the end of the rod, but a couple of turns on a grinder will restore the end of the mandrel.

bexrox
2008-04-18, 9:40pm
Wow, thanks for all the tips. So far I have tried all but the teenage son (too busy being social!) and the soaking (because it was posted while I was upstairs trying the other tricks). So far, one of five has come off :( . But I will not give up!

Becky

profusion
2008-04-20, 11:56am
When you do get them off, check to see if the mandrels are still straight. They only need a very light bend for beads to stick like crazy.
P~

Deepwood Art
2008-04-20, 1:49pm
Why hasn't anyone suggested soaking the mandrel-with-bead in Coke?

Works (for me) every time.

Also, Becky, you may want to consider leaving the cap off your bead release so it can thicken up a little. Your problem may be that the bead release is too thin.

bexrox
2008-04-21, 10:43am
Thanks. I'll try the coke soak next. They're still on there! If it doesn't work, I'll chuck 'em. Since then I mixed two releases together - Frantz, which is tough but gives me trouble with the removal, and Foster S&T, which happened to fall apart on me a few times during the making of the bead, but released like a dream. So far I'm thrilled with the results of this new formula.

karrina
2008-04-21, 11:07am
Thanks for all the great tips~ I tried the vinegar, it actually moved the bead a bit, tried the 'whomping' on the cement (probably didn't do it right).

In all my years of making beads, I've NEVER had beads that move towards the end of the mandrel~ then NOTHING, WILL NOT BUDGE!

I'll try the coke method, hope diet coke might work!
karen

fourpawsglass
2008-04-21, 12:38pm
Hey, they make great decorations for plant pots or out in the yard

kramdas
2008-04-21, 2:21pm
Is there a slight bend to the mandre?! I know it's been mentioned before, but HOW can they go towards the end and just stop?! :S