Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Testing Conducted...

Zooziis
2005-12-01, 2:57pm
I have had several people ask me about the tests that I had conducted this summer. While I torched for 70 minutes I had a representative from the NH Occupational Safety & Health Consultation Service test my air quality. The results have finally been posted on my site. This information only relates directly to me and my set up, as every environment is different. However, it is good information that might be helpful to others so I wanted to share it. All the suggestions made, as to health safety were recommended in my report, and I followed them to ensure my safety. You could only benefit from following those same suggestions.

While I was tested I used Silver and Gold Foil on 2 or 3 beads (each), Frit (a variety of colors, the whole time I was tested), Moretti Glass, Uroboros Glass and for about 50 minutes Gaffer Cane. Enamel was only used on 2-3 small beads, and was not sprinkled on, but rather placed on the marver, and the bead was rolled over it.

If you know of anything else that I should be testing for, please PM me so that I can get in on the battery of tests that are happening on 12/21. Thank you!!

Okay, here is the link Zooziis Testing (http://zooziis.com/environmentaltesting.html)

Heather/Ericaceae
2005-12-01, 3:10pm
Cool, Amy! Thanks for posting that info. Really makes you stop and think. How much does testing like that cost, and how does one go about arranging them?

-Heather

Zooziis
2005-12-01, 3:21pm
In the state of NH it is free if you have at least 1 employee, other then yourself. I employ my dad, and a shipping helper, so I counted. I contacted the Occupational Safety and Health Consultations Services, which is part of the NH Department of Environmental Services. They did all the testing for free (well I paid for it with my taxes, which is better then some of the other things I pay for with my takes...hehehe). They are coming back (6 months after the first time) because I changed my configuration to include a second space for my mother to work, and to teach (maybe). So I told her I'd be willing to pay for the second test since it's only been 6 months, and they said the service was free and they were happy to do it. I don't think you can pay them, but you can't get them to come if you don't have at least 1 employee either...Though you may be able to find a "private" Environmental Engineering Group to do it for you, but they will charge and I have no idea how much.

amybfromtc
2005-12-03, 7:17am
Wow, Amy! Fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing the results and considerations... tis much appreciated!

Amy (the other)

CharleneN
2005-12-03, 8:03am
Amy thanks so much for posting this info!

I had my yearly physical on Thurs and requested a heavy metals test. I await the results. I believe they will be fine (and feel so even more strongly after reading your report). I think it's a very reasonable request to have my blood tested for heavy metals as part of my yearly physical. My doctor agreed. After discussing what I do and my setup he felt I would be "ok" but agreed the blood testing is a prudent thing to do.

I am eagerly awaiting the results of your second testing. I am very curious to see the NOX results.

Thanks again Amy!

pam
2005-12-03, 8:29am
Amy, Thanks so much for posting this. It pretty much echos the tests done by OSHA at the Gathering quite a few years back, but it is nice to see it done in a studio setting. I'll be interested in hearing about the NOX levels also, as I have always felt this was the most prevalent danger in glass beadmaking. You are a real asset to the beadmaking community, and tell your mom and dad and husband I said hi.
Pam

chrisdd
2005-12-03, 8:38am
Great info! TY so much for posting this. I do have 1 question...what is the CFM of your hood?

Dale M.
2005-12-03, 10:16am
The test information is great!.... And I know the statement was made to keep these contaminates to a minimum, and this proves adequate ventilation is necessary, but one also need to know what limits are considered a hazard... Just saying "something" is equal to 15, has no meaning if you don't have a point of reference. To be more informative saying "something "=15 with a maximum accepted level of 30 does have some meaning....

Not being critical but I think the numbers need to go a step further and include what health official deem acceptable limits...

Also its a good endorsement for proper ventilation and keeping work areas scrupulously clean.

Dale

Zooziis
2005-12-03, 9:43pm
Dale, you are right. The problem is that with air tests OSHA has limits to compare to, but all the air tests came back with nothing. So they were under limits. OSHA does not have limits for swipe tests, so nothing to compare to. However, I'm going to be asking for more information when I see her in a couple weeks.

Yes, clean areas and proper ventilation are important. Of course I wish I had access to the fun testing things for myself. Then I would test with no ventilation, my ventilation, low ventilation...I'm very curious :) But since I only get this because I have an employee and they want to make sure their work environment is safe, I don't get to try to make it an unsafe enviroment to be tested...hehehe.

Chrisdd my CFM of the fan is about 450 CFM, I think. The tester can test it's draw, but not in CFM's and what she can test doesn't make sense to me. I'm going to ask, this time, if there is a conversion chart so we can go from her numbers to CFMs..If I can get that I'll post that for sure.

Pam, that is cool that my stuff backs up OSHA tests with the ISGB. I like to know that there is consistancy. I am anxious to find out about the NOX too. I found out too late the last time to have it added...I sent her MSDS sheets from Italy, Bullseye, and Uroboros, so she could determine what to test for, but she didn't think to test for the biproducts of combustion...oh, well. I know now, and she's going to test for it this time. I'll tell the crew you said Hi! They all thought you were Great! Thank you :)

InspirationToolworks
2005-12-04, 7:55am
You can't test CFM directly, so they were either testing pressure drop or air velocity. If you average air velocity over the opening of your hood, and multiply by the area you will get CFM (ft/min * ft^2 = foot^3 / min).

Thanks for the great info Amy! Please let us know when you get the rest of the numbers.

-Jeff

Zooziis
2005-12-04, 3:47pm
Thank you Jeff! I will use that little formula and find out what my hood is. That is much better the guessing.

Kalera
2005-12-04, 3:53pm
Awesome info, Amy! Thanks for posting it.

Juln
2005-12-04, 5:11pm
Thanks for posting that info, it is interesting.
I'm interested in the results of the wipe test - aluminum sure is high relative to the others. I didn't really expect that.
I wonder what differences there might be if you were working boro color instead.

lenora
2005-12-21, 4:01pm
Hey Amy!
Just curious to see if you had the second round of safety testing done today and how it went. I'm really interested in the nitrogen oxide readings.

Lenora

GinnyHampton
2005-12-26, 9:18am
Hey Amy!
Just curious to see if you had the second round of safety testing done today and how it went. I'm really interested in the nitrogen oxide readings.

Lenora

Me too!!

Zooziis
2006-01-24, 11:17pm
Me too! I was too sick when I was scheduled to do it. I have to call her and reschedule. I hope to have it done in February. I will post then...thanks for the kick in the pants :)

lenora
2006-01-25, 7:51am
I'm glad you are feeling better!!!! I just ordered a large lentil press. I can't wait to get it.

I got my hands on a NO2 detector. It should be coming in the next few days. I can't wait to test it out on my system to make sure everything is working. I don't smell anything when I work, but I just want to see what the actual levels are.

lenora
2006-01-30, 4:03pm
I'm not trying to hijack Amy's thread, but I wanted to let you know the results of my own testing. Like I said, I got my hands on a NO2 detector. I tested my current ventilation system (650 CFM fan with a "Barley Box" like work area with an open window for fresh air) and the detector did not detect any level of NO2. This was over 1-2 hours of torching. Then, on a different day I didn't turn on my ventilation system and the detector was showing 2.2 PPM within 15 minutes of the torch being on. I didn't proceed any further since these are already dangerous levels of NO2.

I am not in any way claiming to be an expert on ventilation or implying that anyone's system is safe or not. I am merely letting you know what my own personal test results were. I don't smell anything when I work. I was just very curious to know what the actual numbers were. What can I say? I used to be an Accountant.

pierces*designs
2006-01-31, 2:54pm
I'm not trying to hijack Amy's thread, but I wanted to let you know the results of my own testing. Like I said, I got my hands on a NO2 detector. I tested my current ventilation system (650 CFM fan with a "Barley Box" like work area with an open window for fresh air) and the detector did not detect any level of NO2. This was over 1-2 hours of torching. Then, on a different day I didn't turn on my ventilation system and the detector was showing 2.2 PPM within 15 minutes of the torch being on. I didn't proceed any further since these are already dangerous levels of NO2.

I am not in any way claiming to be an expert on ventilation or implying that anyone's system is safe or not. I am merely letting you know what my own personal test results were. I don't smell anything when I work. I was just very curious to know what the actual numbers were. What can I say? I used to be an Accountant.

Thank you for the info. BTW I would be interested in knowing how you got the NO2 detector. I'd love to test mine!