Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : What is this Glass?

Mary K
2008-05-24, 4:58pm
I recently entered a glass art show put on by the wonderful ladies at "My Glass Shop" and won first prize in prof. beads. My award was an astounding package of glass that they thought was all boro. But I don't know. Some of it is boro, I'm sure, but there is some that I think is something else.
The rods are LONG like boro, but this is what it's called:
SPC406F Da Vinci Dbl Amber Purple First( 6 rods , I think it is 1/2 lb?)
SPC404F Monet Amethyst Silver First (5 long smaller diameter rods 1/4 lb?)
SPC408F Diamond Clear 104 First ( Must be at least 1/2 lb.)

Is this soft glass? What is best to make with it? Any tips on how to work it is appreciated. I have never had glass like this before.( you should see the Da Vinci, it looks really interesting)
What kind of glass is this? Any one with pictures? Thanks in advance.

I am so lucky to have such a great glass shop in my town. "My Glass Shop"
in Sonora California ROCKS!!!!!!!

Chuckie
2008-05-24, 5:07pm
It's 104 coe glass with a high silver content (with the exception of the clear).

The clear is R4 or Precision glass. It's the same glass with two different retail names.

There are other high content silver manufacturers. Double Helix is one, and I can't remember the name of the other one. Someone will come in and share in a bit.

Chuckie
2008-05-24, 6:04pm
Thanks, I knew there was one more.

Mary K
2008-05-24, 7:21pm
OK, so it is silvered glass made by? The only other silvered glass I have ever had was Gaia and Kronos ( I think, it is dark cobalt blue). Would this glass best over ivory, or black? What is best to put it on? Do I clear incase it? Help! I have a feeling this is some pricy glass, & don't want to waste a bunch of it experimenting.

Chuckie
2008-05-24, 7:47pm
Silvered glass isn't exactly the correct terminology. It's glass with a high silver content. The difference is that the silver in this glass is mixed into the ingredients as the glass batch is made. When I hear the term "silvered glass" it represents glass that has had silver applied to the surface of the glass as it's being worked.

I'm not sure which manufacturer makes those particular colors. You can look for TAG, Double Helix (DH) and Precision glass on the internet or in the gallery. I don't buy it, so someone else will have to tell you what their favorite color combos and base colors are.

lunamoonshadow
2008-05-24, 7:56pm
I :love: DaVinci Double Amber Purple! Just a few dots of it & rake/swirl/whatever on white or opal yellow & I can get rainbow colors out of it!
(someone super sweet gifted me a rod of it & I just adore it!)

Oh--it's all 104 coe.

Toni Lutman
2008-05-24, 8:07pm
Here's (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27555) a good thread for ideas on using the silver colors.

Mary K
2008-05-25, 3:53pm
Ah, thank you all, I always know I can count on the LE'ers for help. You all are so helpfull, & I appreciate it!

simvet02
2008-05-25, 4:55pm
I got three different sets of rods from Rocio and am a bit confused. First, who are they made by Rocio or TAG? They are Rocio Silver Mist, Chagall Dark Silver Blue and Dali. One is black, one is dark blue and one is a buttery gold color. Yes, I forgot to label them so I don't know which is which and need help.

Second, I got them from Rocio and there is no information about how to work them. Does anyone know where I could find out which is which and how to work with them?

thanks,

Hayley
2008-05-25, 11:13pm
Mary - daVinci Double Amber Purple is a striking glass. Monet Amethyst Silver is a reducing glass. Diamond Clear is the best clear to use with all silver glass. All three are made by Precision.

Jan - Rocio Silver Mist and Chagall are also made by Precision and both are reducing glass. Dali is made by TAG and is a striking glass.

There are a few silver glass makers - Double Helix (doublehelixglassworks.com), Precision 104, TAG 104 (taglass.com), GTG - George Tessman and StrikingColor (strikingcolor.com) . . . you will find all the glasses currently available listed in post #3 of my Third Silver Color How To & Exchange thread in the patio:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91758

Post #3 also tells you which ones are striking glass and which ones are reducing.

Post #4 contains basic instruction of how to work these glasses.

Hope this helps!

simvet02
2008-05-26, 3:51am
Haley, I use your post often for which glass does which. It is an invaluable referrence. I just didn't know which was which. I tagged them all last night and I tagged Dali as a striking glass.
I got them all from Rocios' site and there just wasn't any information given with any of them as to how to use them.

thanks,