Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Octopus anyone?

sailingzees
2005-12-07, 3:33am
I am looking for a good octopus tutorial. Whimsical is o.k. but I prefer something a little more representational. I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Cosmo
2005-12-07, 6:40am
You mean one like this?

http://jupiternielsenflameworking.com/blackcageocto_780x550.jpg

:D
(no, I didn't make it... I wish....)

Seriously, though, if you are talking about doing a sculptural octopus on a bead or something, the way I do it is to make a big gather for the head and place it on the bead, then use stringers to draw the legs. I have some people do it the opposite way (legs first then body) but either will work.

sailingzees
2005-12-07, 5:37pm
wow! My goodness that is beautiful! Well I am sure mine will look more like a blob with apendages but I am going to try one on a bead. I was looking for a tutorial before I tried it though. I figured I would just do as you instructed and start with a large gather for the head.

Thanks

hummingbird3172
2005-12-07, 9:08pm
My eyes about popped out with that octopus! Oh my God! That is gorgeous!
I have been thinking of octopi as well....

shawnette
2005-12-08, 5:58am
That's a squid. Note the pointy head.

Cosmo
2005-12-08, 6:44am

No, that's an octopus. It doesn't have 10 tentacles like a squid does.

That, and the file name is "octo".

Tanja
2005-12-08, 7:04am
That octopus is absolutely gorgeous! They are one of my most favorite critters in the world. Really neat. Love it. - T.

Cosmo
2005-12-08, 7:51am
Yeah, you should see some of the other work on Jupiter's site. If I didn't know better I'd think many of them were just photographs of real animals.

http://jupiternielsenflameworking.com/

Tanja
2005-12-08, 8:03am
=D> I checked that site...wow! Love the salamander and the kelpy sea monster thing. My gosh...to have such talent and to love what you're doing all wrapped up in one.

beachbeads
2005-12-08, 8:37am
You may want to contact Deb Crowley, Glass freek, you can reach her through the Glass Hive, I think she is proably to busy with the holidays as I haven't been able to grab her out of the studio, but she is the queen of sealife and I'm sure she can give you some tips. Check out her auctions! There was also one in Lapidary Journals Step by Step beads made ontop of a lentil bead recently.

hulagirl
2005-12-21, 12:40pm
I saw a great octopus on Maria Grimes' website a while back, but she is now making "wintery" type things. Her beads are kinda whimsical, though. www.gardenpathbeads.com

spin
2006-08-23, 6:59pm
if anyone is still interested
make a flat dime sized off center bead with the mandrel about 1/4 from edge
legs 1-7 ccw leg 8 on the top
big blob for head... put slightly above center
eye sockets & eyes
put the "inny" spots first, those hard to get to spots
leave a big blank spot on the belly till all the arm suckers are on so you can soak heat into the back- remember crack is bad for you-
then finish belly suckers

Emily
2006-08-24, 7:12am
Please, please, please -- whatever you do -- put the eyes in the right place. They go at the bottom of the big blobby head, just above where it meets the skirt-shaped area where the tentacles join, and are sort of at the sides of the head. The nursery-school octopi with the eyes right in the middle of the big blobby head make me want to attack people with a sharp pointy octopus beak (which is tucked away in the center of the circle of tentacles -- I've never seen it extended on a live octopus. They tend to surround their prey with their tentacles, so you don't get a good look at what they're eating.)

Curly Irish Girl
2006-08-24, 7:49pm
Spoken like a true Floridian!!!

dragondreams
2006-08-25, 4:11pm
Holy Hanna That Is A Great Octopus

Emily
2006-08-26, 10:33am
Love the eyes on that one! We have Pacific Giant Octopus here. Largest in the world. Wonderful creatures!!!

But it's the little ones that will get you. According to Wikipedia, "the blue-ringed octopus is the size of a golf ball but its venom is powerful enough to kill 26 human adults in minutes. There is no known antidote."

Lives, of course, in Australia, home of the World's Most Poisonous Everything (also in various other parts of the Pacific.)

Pretty! (No, I didn't take this. I've never been lucky enough to see one.)

TessKay
2006-08-27, 8:26am
if anyone is still interested
make a flat dime sized off center bead with the mandrel about 1/4 from edge
legs 1-7 ccw leg 8 on the top
big blob for head... put slightly above center
eye sockets & eyes
put the "inny" spots first, those hard to get to spots
leave a big blank spot on the belly till all the arm suckers are on so you can soak heat into the back- remember crack is bad for you-
then finish belly suckers

got pics?