Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Making Your Own Dichroic Cane???

musicpg
2008-06-10, 4:20am
Hi, I've seen some really gorgeous beads on eBay lately created with Dichroic cane. I would really love to try and make some too but because the dichro is so expensive, I would really appreciate any advice before I get started. If anyone has tried this technique, please reply.
Thanks,
Pam

JetAge Studio
2008-06-10, 7:00am
Could you post a link? I know of no one that can make their own dichro anything. (doesn't mean it cant happen)
Could it be a custom pulled cane with goldstone and another color or foil? Maybe the artist is just pulling the dichro sheet and using it as a stringer or something.....Hmmm
Renee

Sue in Maine
2008-06-10, 7:11am
Dichroic glass is made in a vacuum.... I doubt anyone is making their own as it is an extensive process. Check out CBS (Coatings by Sandburg). There was an article on the process in either The Flow or The Annealer last year... I think The Annealer did an article on Sanburg.

Sue

musicpg
2008-06-10, 7:37am
Hi, I'll find the artist on eBay and try to direct you to her work. She always states that she makes her own dichroic cane. I've never seen anyone else do that before.

musicpg
2008-06-10, 7:41am
OK, I found her beads on eBay. Her name is Victoria Gail Lampwork Beads. If you go to eBay and look in the lampwork bead section (easier to go by "highest price" first), you'll see where she states that she makes her own cane and incorporates dichro into it.

mandyjw
2008-06-10, 7:45am
Dichroic coating was created for the space program, it's quite an extensive process to coat the glass with it like Sue said.

I use a lot of dichroic glass in my beads, ok, I don't really make beads without dichroic glass in them! :D I use nothing but the clear strips. A hothead is great for dichroic glass. Make sure to keep the flame off the coated side and when you apply it to your beads apply it coated side down and encase any that is left on the surface. Use a very cool flame until it's all encased and lots of patience. It's really not hard after a bit of practice! Good luck!

musicpg
2008-06-10, 7:49am
Hi Many, I've made lots of beads with dichro in them and I love the look. I'm talking about an artist who makes canes with dichro in them. That's what I would like to learn how to do. She sells her beads on eBay and goes by Victoria Gail Lampwork Beads. Her beads are magical. Check them out and if you have any suggestions as to how the heck she makes those canes, I'm all ears!!

playswithfire104
2008-06-10, 8:10am
She says that she uses A LOT of dichroic to make the cane. And that "After layering the cane and more layers of dichroic"

Here's my guess - and it is only a guess. I'm thinking she makes cane using dichro - either rods or cut pieces - and the other colors like you would normally make cane. Then after laying her base she adds more dichro and other colors.

Toni Lutman
2008-06-10, 8:11am
I didn't look up the beads mentioned, but I'd imagine that you would take a piece of dichro, encase it completely in a transparent or combination of transparents, and pull into cane that could then be used on beads. You might even try to keep it flattened as you melt it and pull into a ribbon so you can use it with the dichro side up so it will be more vibrant.

musicpg
2008-06-10, 8:20am
Hi Nancy, I kind of thought that would be the process but still not totally sure. The dichro is only usuable on one side. Perhaps she encases the dichro, flips it and add another piece of dichro and then encases that. After both sides are encased...maybe then she pulls a cane??

laserglass
2008-06-10, 8:24am
you can buy dichroic sheet glass, the kind used in fuseing, cut it in thin strips around 5mm wide and use it as you would use a lampworking rod. this type of glass is available in both 90 and 96 COE, is available in many colors and patterns, and can be purchased on either clear or black glass. here is a photo of some i cut up ( i make them short for rollups)

musicpg
2008-06-10, 8:34am
Hi Mark, I've never seen this type of dichroic before. Is it coated on both sides? Does it have to be fired first? Does it burn off easily? Sorry about all the questions but you just may have answered my prayers and I want to make sure of it's properties before pulling cane with it. Where can I purchase this type of dichro?
Thanks so much!
Pam

lldesigns
2008-06-10, 8:36am
Here is a link to one of her absolutely gorgeous sets. I don't think she makes cane with dichro in it. From her description it sounds like she makes canes from transparent combos and then uses dichro under the mixed cane colors.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VGB-Lampwork-Beads-Whisper-of-Mauve-Lg_W0QQitemZ120267501808QQihZ002QQcategoryZ34070QQ tcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

musicpg
2008-06-10, 8:40am
Hi Mark, I just took a look at your studio and your work. I was very impressed with both! Your glass art is really beautiful.
Pam

musicpg
2008-06-10, 8:43am
Hi Laurie, That's a very nice set of beads but not the ones that she makes with her dichro canes. Look at her auction up on eBay.She plainly states that she creates dichro canes. Thanks for the link. I LOVE her work.

MaryBeth
2008-06-10, 9:02am
Yes, you can make dichro cane. You don't do the dichro coating yourself you need to start with a dichro strip. You need the kind where the dichro is coated on clear.

Heat your clear strip from the back and fold it with the two dichro sides together. You now have clear with dichro trapped in the center.

Take a clear rod of compatible clear and swipe clear on the edges. You can now soften and pull the strip out into a thinner piece.

An alternate method is to make a cylinder of clear glass the width of your dichro strip or whatever color you want on the end of a mandrel. Wrap your dichro around the cylinder (dichro side down for dichro on clear). Then case the whole cylinder as if it were a bead. Punty up to the other end and pull.

I learned these methods in a couple of different classes by different teachers.
I haven't tried these in a while but I think I might!

The end result of either method gives you dichro cane that is fully encased and therefore less likely to burn out or scum when you use it.

Hope this helps!

lldesigns
2008-06-10, 9:04am
Hmm, I guess the simplest way to figure this out is to try emailing her and see if she's willing to share some of her techniques. Or at least share what she means by 'dichro cane.' I know there are actual canes of dichro - not just the typical flat strips - I've got some of those. I'd be interested in this myself. I'm trying to picture how to make an actual dichro twistie or something... I may experiment with a few things at the torch tonight. I'm thinking of taking a strip of dichro and coating both sides with different colored transparents and then pulling a twistie. Or even backing two different colors of dichro to each other and coating those with some transparent colors. This could be fun, or frustrating. Either way I'll let you know! :-D

lldesigns
2008-06-10, 9:06am
We must have posted at the same time Mary Beth! Those are great tips - thanks! I'll definitely be trying these tonight!

MaryBeth
2008-06-10, 9:22am
We must have posted at the same time Mary Beth! Those are great tips - thanks! I'll definitely be trying these tonight!

You are welcome! And, you are right - it's easy to use the resulting dichro cane as a twistie or as a component in a twistie.

Reenie
2008-06-10, 9:39am
The strips are easy to find. They even come in 104 COE which I carry on my site but only have a few colors still in stock.
Frantz has the 104 COE in sheets or also in strips. There are numerous places that carry the 90 & 96 COE as well.
I might have a few extra strips laying around if you'd like to try it out before you buy them.
Just send me a pm if you want to try one.

laserglass
2008-06-10, 9:49am
Hi Mark, I've never seen this type of dichroic before. Is it coated on both sides? Does it have to be fired first? Does it burn off easily? Sorry about all the questions but you just may have answered my prayers and I want to make sure of it's properties before pulling cane with it. Where can I purchase this type of dichro?
Thanks so much!
Pam

it is standard dichroic. the stuff shown is on black glass, i also buy stuff on clear glass. it does not need to be fired first, but you will have better luck with it if it is preheated. it does not burn off too easily, but try to keep it as cool as you can. i purchase it here locally, but it is available at most good glass stores on and off line.

Hothead Beads
2008-06-10, 11:18am
I met Victoria at the Gathering in KC and she is very sweet and willing to share with you. I think you should email her directly if you really want to know how "she" does it. There are some great ideas in here though.

musicpg
2008-06-10, 12:15pm
Thanks Mary Beth! It's so nice to know that I'm not crazy and there is a way to make dichro cane. Your explanation is very clear and I appreciate all the tips!
Thanks,
Pam

Firebrand Beads
2008-06-10, 3:17pm
The "canes" of dichro you generally see at places like Frantz started out as strips of sheet glass (such as a dichro coated Moretti 104) that were cut and fused in the kiln until the edges have softened and rounded a bit. If you buy the stuff that was done on clear, it's already 'encased' for you. Run some clear or opaque color down the coated side, (keeping the coating out of the flame) cover all the dichro coating, and then twist. No sweat. Looks cool to have dashes of dichro from the twist.

KristiB
2008-06-10, 3:47pm
Mike Crowley (LE ~ Glassfreek) pulls some amazing Dichro stringers that are about 3mm thick. They are 96 coe, but if just used as stringer decorations in small amounts it should be okay.
www.theglasshive.com

I've got some incredible green.. yummmy! :P

Kristi

musicpg
2008-06-11, 5:33pm
Thanks Kristi, I'll check out his stringers! Do you have any photos of beads decorated with these stringers? I would love to see them.
Pam

JetAge Studio
2008-06-12, 10:14pm
PADRE!!!! Where ARE you!!! Hey, we had some good convos over your ventilation images....Geeze, I miss your wisdom!!! Victoria...tell him "HI" for me!!! (and for gebus sakes....convo/email me!! :) )
Renee Wiggins
Jetage Studio

KristiB
2008-06-13, 1:06pm
Thanks Kristi, I'll check out his stringers! Do you have any photos of beads decorated with these stringers? I would love to see them.
Pam

I will try and get some pics for you this weekend :D

menty666
2008-06-13, 7:16pm
Here's a relevant video of Milon making dichro cane. It's boro though.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zYfPfw32QSY

glasshouse
2008-06-13, 8:08pm
This is almost exactly how a local glassblower I met at a show described the dichro milli process to me. He makes a cane and then slices it. It's beautiful- all boro.

Yes, you can make dichro cane. You don't do the dichro coating yourself you need to start with a dichro strip. You need the kind where the dichro is coated on clear.

Heat your clear strip from the back and fold it with the two dichro sides together. You now have clear with dichro trapped in the center.

Take a clear rod of compatible clear and swipe clear on the edges. You can now soften and pull the strip out into a thinner piece.

An alternate method is to make a cylinder of clear glass the width of your dichro strip or whatever color you want on the end of a mandrel. Wrap your dichro around the cylinder (dichro side down for dichro on clear). Then case the whole cylinder as if it were a bead. Punty up to the other end and pull.

I learned these methods in a couple of different classes by different teachers.
I haven't tried these in a while but I think I might!

The end result of either method gives you dichro cane that is fully encased and therefore less likely to burn out or scum when you use it.

Hope this helps!

jhana
2008-06-17, 12:36am
I've made dichro twisties a lot from strips using Bullseye from CBS.
I coat it with clear so it won't scum up just like the previous folks mentioned.
One thing that is important is when you do the twisty or pull the stringer
you don't want to pull it out too thin and lose the density of the coating.
I like to use black dichro because you get a lot of contrast in the twisty and
it makes the sparlke show up better in the twist.
It's also important to have the sparkle line on the outside of the twist so
you see it better.
Does this make sense to you all?
Pam, do you work with Bullseye?
I have some twisty bits I could send you to see what I mean.

pierces*designs
2008-06-17, 5:01am
You can get those nice rounded edges on the dichro strips yourself. Buy a sheet of dichro (4x4 or whatever) cut into strips, place in a kiln dichro side down (on kiln paper or a kiln washed shelf) and heat at 400 per hour to 1240 degree and hold for 10. Ramp down to 740 and then you can crash the kiln (open it to cool faster).

tluvs2create
2008-06-17, 10:40am
When you say cane, are you talking stringers? I tried taking my strips of dichro encasing the coating side as others mentioned and then pulling it into a smaller stringer (I didn't twist and tried not to pull it too thin), but I found that the "dichro look" got lost - perhaps thinned out too much in the pull. I was very disappointed. It is funny that I see this thread now because one of my friends who went to B & B was showing me her purchases and she showed me some beads (she wasn't sure who it was from) that had what looked like raised dichroic stringer on it. The stringer appeared to be about 2 or 3 mm in width with plenty of coating showing that is was indeed dichro. I was going to do a google search to see if anyone produced such a thing.

Tink
2008-06-17, 10:57am
I'm pretty darn sure the beads in question are by the Dichro Queen of Padre Island. :-) And I *do* know that she makes encased dichro cane and twisties, as I've been the happy recipient of some myself.

tluvs2create
2008-06-17, 12:28pm
Does she make them to sell? If so where do we find her?

jhana
2008-06-17, 1:29pm
I've heard that some dichro is "premium" , the coating is thicker
and so would lend itself better to this process. (Anyone know the real skinny on this?)
I guess you could call CBS and ask them.
They are very nice there.
You can avoid totally losing the sparkle by pulling shorter lengths,
but it is the nature of the process that it will thin out some.

EchoTantuli
2008-06-17, 2:33pm
Jo-Del Glass sells scraps of dichroic coating, I would imagine you could somehow incorporate them into cane, although It might take some trial and error, to get it where you wanted it to be. It was pretty economical if I remember correctly. I was considering giving it a try myself, but my job is pretty much consuming most of time lately.
Just a thought, Echo :)

tt4st
2008-06-17, 3:00pm
Hi Jhana, I'm not understanding this - can you help? I understand putting clear on the black side but ...How do you coat the dichro side with clear without burning out the sparkle? Are you bending the dichro in half, coating it in clear and then twisting? Thanks!

jhana
2008-06-18, 1:33am
Hi Jhana, I'm not understanding this - can you help? I understand putting clear on the black side but ...How do you coat the dichro side with clear without burning out the sparkle? Are you bending the dichro in half, coating it in clear and then twisting? Thanks!
The previous methods outlined are basically the same way I've done it.
I use a compatible clear and get it really very gloppy so I can coat the dichro
side quickly with the striping method.
The hot clear doesn't scum up the dichro ,it protects it from burning off.
Putting it dichro side down (toward the torch) will burn it off quickly.
However,even when you have the dichro side positioned up and are heating the
uncoated side in the torch, the edges of the strip are very vulnerable to scumming.
As the flame licks at the sides they(the edges) kind of curl and scum up(turn gray) and you lose the coating there.
That is why you want to get those edges of the strips coated in clear first to protect them from scumming, cause that's where it begins.
Once you work with a few pieces you'll see how the dichro strips act in the flame.
The strips act a little differently than rods in the flame.
Dichro is easier to work on a hot head because it is a cooler flame.
Once I got a minor it was a lot harder for me to control that moment where you've gone too far and burned off the coating. PPP.
I know I've seen diagrams and even a video somewhere on this site
that shows how to work it.
You'll definately be money ahead by asking for and getting as much info as possible.
It's expensive glass and saving yourself from ruining it is worth the research effort, for sure.
Clear as mud?

tt4st
2008-06-18, 3:30pm
Thank you Jhana! I've put clear dichro onto beads but never clear-coated and twisted - now I understand :)

jhana
2008-06-18, 5:32pm
Thank you Jhana! I've put clear dichro onto beads but never clear-coated and twisted - now I understand :)

Cool. Glad I could be helpful.
Do you work in Effetre/Moretti or Bullseye?

DesertGlass
2008-06-20, 10:00pm
I just found this link for dichro stringers!
http://dichroic-glass.com/proddetail.asp?prod=90stringerblack

Nancy

MaryBeth
2008-06-20, 10:45pm
Wow! That's a great price!

jhana
2008-06-21, 1:58am
I've purchased from them.
Nice glass, nice people.