Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Ever After's Pansy Tutorial

jana
2008-07-10, 6:14am
I purchased Laurie's tutorial and just finished reading it and I have to say, she did a great job.

She did not talk over my head, there are a lot of pictures to help the visual person, and it was very well laid out...I understood it the first time through! She also has a very witty personality that shines through.

The price was excellent and well worth it. She deserves great success with it and I hope this encourages her, and others, to do more purchasable tutorials.

I purchased it here: Pansy Tutorial (http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=70033)

Thank you Laurie, kudos to you!

suzanne
2008-07-10, 6:59am
it's good isn't it!!!

Glacier
2008-07-10, 9:35am
Thanks for posting this. I just ordered a copy!

Tamara

Troll Lover
2008-07-10, 9:44am
It's wonderful, it makes me want to try to create them immediately!

friskebaer
2008-07-10, 9:53am
Yeah - thanks for letting us know! I just purchased it as well and it is really good - I'm off to turn on the kiln!
Thanks Laurie!
Jenny

Hayley
2008-07-10, 10:04am
I love tutorials! Thank you for the link!

dicrodi
2008-07-10, 10:39am
Thanks for the link , I love tutorials, just purchased it. Dicrodi

theglasszone
2008-07-10, 2:36pm
I got it also! I've been fascinated with her pansies forever...I've tried and tried, but just couldn't get them to look "real" like hers. Now that I have the tut, I KNOW what I was doing wrong!!! When I'm back to the torch (soon, hopefully!) I'll be giving this another try - the RIGHT WAY!!! :)

~De

msritaa
2008-07-10, 2:46pm
I just ordered mine. I've been admiring her beautiful flowers for a long time. I can't wait to try these. Thanks, Laurie!

Gillianbeads
2008-07-10, 3:36pm
Woohoo!!
I just ordered my tutorial as well...can't wait to give them a go!
Thanks so much for putting this together!

Over the Moon
2008-07-10, 4:18pm
Oh NO!!!!! It's sold-out...:( Oh YAY! Just heard from Laurie - I'd followed a bad link...there's plenty more ~ and it's just fab! :happy: Thanks a bunch! :love:

Raven Wylder
2008-07-10, 4:27pm
Check again, there's 3 listings for multiples in stock.

madelyn1
2008-07-10, 4:29pm
I just finished downloading Laurie's tutorial - it looks great!!!

Can't wait to try it -- thanks for sharing, Laurie!

Shirley

Jane P
2008-07-10, 7:03pm
Just as soon as I get some funds in my Paypal account, I will order one - can't wait. I knew I shouldn't have cleared out the account!
I have been admiring Laurie's florals for as long as I have been here on LE.

Jenfire
2008-07-10, 7:31pm
OHHHHH I just ordered it! how long does it take to arrive in my inbox?! I may forgo sleep for this one!
Jen

WOW it takes about 6 min to get in the inbox. I am going to be burning the midnite propane on this one! Laurie thank you so much!
Jen

DarleenMB
2008-07-11, 7:54am
I think this is great! I love supporting my fellow beadmakers this way. Off to buy my copy.

flamemoth
2008-07-11, 12:04pm
Superb Laurie..I'm going to give these a go!

Heart Fire
2008-07-11, 12:53pm
Thank you Laurie, I just adore your pansies! Can't wait to receive the tut----Oh how I love flowers! Lois

Ever After
2008-07-11, 7:48pm
wow I just found this, thank you everyone!!!
y'all rock! oh yeah and tell any of your non le friends!! lol
I dont know how to get the word out to people not on le, or etsy..
learning curve for sure..

LyndaJ
2008-07-12, 6:19am
you could put a reminder in the email when you send the pdf. Maybe even as a link to feedback if that's possible.

TheGlassFlame
2008-07-12, 6:23am
I would love to see the results of everyones hard work!!!

Mopnglo
2008-07-12, 7:33pm
Once you buy this tut, you'll never want to make a different bead again! Here are my first 5.
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l236/mopnglo/2008%20Gallery%204/RP4.jpg
I have 17 more in the kiln now.

Ever After
2008-07-12, 7:43pm
gorgeous!

sleekbeads
2008-07-13, 9:00am
This is theee most well-written and easy to understand tutorial EVER!
HIGHLY suggest! I haven't made any yet, but haven't lit my torch in well over a month.
Probably more. This tutorial totally inspired me to get back to the torch today...
can't wait!
Jo

Carols Glass
2008-07-13, 9:05am
Is it ok to buy the tutorial and then make and also sell the pansies after you learn how?

I saw where someone else sold a tutorial on copper mesh technique but people seemed afraid to actually use it?

Thanks for any info in advance. I really want to buy this one!

Tropical Heat
2008-07-13, 12:02pm
Is it ok to buy the tutorial and then make and also sell the pansies after you learn how?

I saw where someone else sold a tutorial on copper mesh technique but people seemed afraid to actually use it?

Thanks for any info in advance. I really want to buy this one!

Like any other technique, I think this tutorial should be a learning tool and a jumping off point. To go strictly by the tut and make and sell beads that look "exactly" like Laurie's I feel would be a mistake. I'm sure there are going to be a lot of variations as people follow the tut and then come up with their own designs. I just bought mine and can't wait to start!

Carols Glass
2008-07-13, 1:41pm
So, you just need to use different colors, right? I don't think it would be possible for a person just learning how to make them to make them exactly like the person who gave the tutorial. I could be wrong.
I just don't like worrying about being too close to the original (not that it's possible for me, but you know what I mean).
What I do is probably ok. I watch a tutorial and then study what the flowers look like by googling them and then make a flower. That way, I don't worry so much about duplicating the person doing the tutorial. I just try to use the technique using photos of the real thing.

Tropical Heat
2008-07-13, 2:56pm
So, you just need to use different colors, right? I don't think it would be possible for a person just learning how to make them to make them exactly like the person who gave the tutorial. I could be wrong.
I just don't like worrying about being too close to the original (not that it's possible for me, but you know what I mean).
What I do is probably ok. I watch a tutorial and then study what the flowers look like by googling them and then make a flower. That way, I don't worry so much about duplicating the person doing the tutorial. I just try to use the technique using photos of the real thing.

Using different colors, altering the shape a bit, adding something here or there! I added more tiny black dots and leaves. We'll see how they turn out! LOL! Mine are probably bigger than Lauries's. I tend to use a lot of glass.

Ever After
2008-07-13, 3:15pm
Ive been asked this a couple times, so I am blogging about it, Im not Robert Frost eloquent by no means, but I hope you understand.. I will also be updating this page as we take this ride.. :)
http://www.everafterartistry.com/flogmeforblogging.htm

Carols Glass
2008-07-13, 3:37pm
A while back, I purchased a rose tutorial, I practiced the way she did it and then I changed every thing about making roses and made them my own way so I could make them smaller. Then, I sold a set on ebay. They were my roses, my technique, but I still valued the lessons I learned on the video that got me on the way to making roses. I would hate it though if someone thought I copied them.

Carmen Isaacs
2008-07-13, 3:44pm
Once you sell a tutorial and profit financially, you have to know that you open yourself up to being copied and to expect people not to sell their beads on Etsy because you do is in my opinion unrealistic and naive. Having said that I did read your blog and understand how you feel.

Ever After
2008-07-13, 4:01pm
I agree with you Carmen, not comfortably, but I do.. lol

boheme'
2008-07-13, 4:02pm
Just got my copy - thank you - wonderfully written.

Ever After
2008-07-13, 4:06pm
ty Deb!!
please remember everyone, if you have any questions at all feel free to email me, I really want everyone to have fun with this!
Now, I just baked a a scrumdiddlyumptious butt dimpling cheesecake! Im going to go cut into!!
love you guys thank you!

Jane P
2008-07-14, 8:17pm
Laurie - I purchased your tutorial earlier this evening, but it hasn't come through yet - I suspect that there is a problem with my email server, as items are really slow getting to me today. Hopefully it will come through soon. Thanks!

beadworkstudio
2008-07-14, 8:59pm
Great response to the "copy" issue, Laurie.

I just got your tutorial and I love it. I'm really looking forward to adding pansies to my floral focal beads, and I can envision this technique used to make butterflies. If I can think of two variations in less than 24 hours of getting the tutorial, I'm sure there are tons of ways people can use it to expand their glass repertoir.

Ever After
2008-07-14, 9:16pm
TY !!
Jane you should have yours now, I have to physically send it after I get notification of payment, but I have been baby sitting the mailbox here, unlesss its my bed time, lol then it would have to wait till morning..
xo Laurie!

Ever After
2008-07-15, 5:03pm
Just a heads up for those not members of etsy, I put copies of the tutorial on my webpage for sale,
look in web shop..on the left
thanks again everyone!!!

Glacier
2008-07-15, 8:13pm
Here's my first set turned into my new favorite bracelet!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/bead/panbracelet.jpg
It got lots of compliments at work today!

Tamara

Ever After
2008-07-16, 4:07am
[-o<[-o<[-o<

Carmen Isaacs
2008-07-16, 4:10am
Tamara they are beautiful.

Ever After
2008-07-16, 10:15am
Pam what color is that blue? its beautiful!

Maytime
2008-07-16, 11:18am
OMG I am a long time admirer of your gorgeous flowers.

Before I purchase the tutorial, please could I ask what type of glass is OK to use I am a relative newbie and I don't work with boro or bullseye-(yet) LOL.

Kindest regards
Shelley

Edited to correct spelling mistakes - sorry, I got a bit over excited!

Ever After
2008-07-16, 11:41am
Shelley, I generally use 104, vet/morretti..Though I love gaffer and caliente, olympic,
but for sure I lean towards 104 pallette, and thats whats used in the tut..
xo Laurie

Ever After
2008-07-16, 3:01pm
ohhhhhhhhh I think i have some streaky saphire
I hope so thats gorgeous!

Maytime
2008-07-16, 3:08pm
Shelley, I generally use 104, vet/morretti..Though I love gaffer and caliente, olympic,
but for sure I lean towards 104 pallette, and thats whats used in the tut..
xo Laurie

Thats brilliant, I have just purchased - thank you Laurie.

DarleenMB
2008-07-16, 8:56pm
My two cents on the "copying" thing. Laurie, you've profited from the tutorial. You put it out there, same as if you were in a class. If you didn't want to share your signature technique you shouldn't have done the tutorial.

Having said all that, you also need to understand that NO one is going to make a pansy bead that looks like YOURS. have you ever taken an art class? The teacher gives the same assignment to 30 students and there are 30 totally different outcomes.

Now some people may actually come close to making beads that look like yours. Well, that never stopped Corina from making and selling HER beads. And to this day people are still "copying" her work. But anyone who knows Corina's work knows which are hers and which aren't. I'm sure it will be the same with your pansy beads.

pittypat
2008-07-16, 9:26pm
Tamara...that bracelet is GORGEOUS!!!!! Thanks for showing...now I know I have to go and buy the tut...this is my Mom's favorite flower.
pat

Ever After
2008-07-17, 4:22am
agreed Darleen, no arguments here about that at all, I have just been asked several times since releasing this..and I just decided to put my honest feelings out there about it..thats all, my feelings..not rules, not laws..
Like I tried to expalin in my rather suessian way..
I want everyone to learn something from the tutorial and I want them to enjoy it!

Glacier
2008-07-17, 2:45pm
Tamara...that bracelet is GORGEOUS!!!!! Thanks for showing...now I know I have to go and buy the tut...this is my Mom's favorite flower.
pat

Thank you. I had a dentist app't this morning and the hygenist tried to buy it off my wrist!

I found myself standing in front of someone's house this morning staring at their flower garden..."hmmm...sky blue, maybe some perwinkle, rubino....I'm gonna try to make those in glass...." The homeowner probably thought some crazy person was on their street!

Tamara

Ever After
2008-07-21, 9:17am
LOl Tamara, I do that all the time!!
I walk to the store and it takes me twice as long, as I step up to look at peoples gardens...
all except for the house with the three pitbulls..

moldyglass
2008-07-21, 10:22am
I just got an oppotunity to use Laurie's tut .... LOVE it. You write really well.
I'll try to get pics on tonight of my first attempts. My home PC is acting up.

Ever After
2008-07-22, 5:19am
Ty Lendy!
cant wait to see!!

kbinkster
2008-07-22, 10:21am
To see so many beautiful beads made with your instructions, I would have to say that your tutorial is a success, Laurie! Congratulations!

KJJames
2008-07-29, 8:10am
This is an excellent tut!!!! I cannot wait to buy the new one!!!

Ever After
2008-07-29, 12:58pm
why wait?! lol
seriously I cant thank you guys more for the encouragement!

xo thank you!!!

Glacier
2008-07-29, 1:16pm
A new one?? How did I miss that? Going to buy it right now!

Tamara

Ever After
2008-08-02, 6:38am
A frequently asked question is can this be done on a hothead..and the answer is yes! I did this on a hot head my first two years..I use a mini cc now. But Ive worked on minor, Mini, and hothead..
xoL

Beadbug
2008-08-09, 11:52am
I love the tut and have a question??? Maybe more are wondering if you truly use the clear or if it is in there just to see if we are paying attention?

Second question just how big are your beads when finished? I know mine must be beasts compared to yours. They are in the kiln I will post photos later if anything comes out worth taking photos of LOL.

I would recommend any tuts Laurie puts out, they are well written with great photos.

Ever After
2008-08-09, 6:20pm
hey I truly use the clear!! lol but I went back to see what you were talking about and found a typo, should be "of clear" not od clear" lol
my finsihed ones generally are about 20mm not including the leaf..sometimes bigger, but I like them for myself at about 20mm
I cant wait to see what you made!
xo Laurie

Beadbug
2008-08-09, 7:08pm
I see it now! Thanks

Ever After
2008-08-15, 7:05am
see, I wouldnt make things up.. lol
not unless it made the story better...

Ever After
2008-08-15, 7:22am
I totally forgot to finish my thought, lol
I want to set up a mini gallery for "students" per say, to show off what you have made using the tutorials, on my website.. so please send me pics! if you already sent me pics, please email with a nod, saying its ok to post them and your name, or if youd like to stay annonomous..but I dont see whay any I have seen so far would want that! all gorgeous!

Ever After
2008-08-19, 7:11am

I just got sent this picture from Madebyzita, its her first try.. and Im so proud I asked If i could share it here,!!

EmbellishYourself
2008-08-19, 11:30am
That's awesome!

Ever After
2008-08-28, 7:24am
Just a quick note, I just made up two bundles of the 3 tuts at discounted prices,
I made one with all three.. Pansy, sunflower and rose,
and one with the sunflower and rose,
each one of them have totally different techniques and typos! lol!!
available on etsy
xo Laurie

Ever After
2008-08-29, 1:01pm
nother quick update we are going camping this weekend so any orders will not be sent till monday! but I will send them ASAP when I get home!

MaryBeth
2008-09-01, 6:27pm
I finally got a chance to try this tutorial! It was very easy to follow and just the technique of sculpting the petals was well worth it! I made a bracelet from my beads for the treasure bracelet exchange and I made three different types of flowers. I was very pleased with how they turned out!:

gubnavnania
2008-09-02, 2:08am
Very pretty, Mary.

Ever After
2008-09-02, 3:52am
wow Mary!!
Thank you for sharing!!!! gorgeous!!

Ever After
2008-09-22, 2:20pm
Just thought I would add this here,
tools needed:etc.
other than your basic mandrels, kiln, torch :)

Lentil press ?or mashers to shape your own lentil, type base
exacto knife or spatula type blade..
thats it :)

Aurore
2008-09-22, 3:22pm
This is a great tutorial Laurie !! Thanks so much for sharing ! I've been having fun making Pansies ... and whatever the others end up to look like ! :lol:

Ever After
2008-09-22, 7:53pm
Aurore ,absolutely stunning! and I say the others are violets!
:)
thank you so much for sharing!

Ever After
2009-01-02, 8:30pm
this tutorial and all my tutorials are on sale extended to the 15th of January :)
thank you everyone!

MaryBeth
2009-01-02, 8:33pm
Those are just beautiful, Aurore!

By the way, the bracelet I posted above is what I have in the "Women in Flow" issue. \\:D/

Ever After
2009-01-02, 8:35pm
Congrat Mary Beth I cant wait to see it!!
I procrastinated too long this year to enter the Flow, sigh, I suck..

midniteburner
2009-01-02, 8:55pm
I do love the pansy with the bumble bee