Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : checking a seal on a hot head

SquareOneBeads
2005-06-27, 4:55am
Hi all,
My book on lampworking tells me to check the seal between the torchhead and the MAPP Canister with soapy water but it doesn't tell how you put the soapy water on the connection. I'm assuming I do not submerse any part of the torch so the only thing I can think of is to wipe a cloth dipped in the soapy water around teh connection area and watch for bubbles. Is this how you guys do it or is there a better way?

Thank you,
Heather

Debi
2005-06-27, 5:19am
I use a foam "paintbrush" dipped in the soapy solution to check the connection on my hoses and tanks !

MikeAurelius
2005-06-27, 6:12am
Mr. Bubbles bubble blowing solution - has it's own built in dipper. Just put a couple of drops on the threads. You will see bubbles if there is a leak, if no leak, then no bubbles.

SquareOneBeads
2005-06-27, 10:13am
Mr. Bubbles blowing solution? Sounds like I'll have to much fun playing with it. I'll forget what its for and forget to check my seals :) I will have to pick up some of that tonight when I go get my 'geek' strap so my didy's stay on over my prescription glasses.

Thanks for the tip!
Heather

MikeAurelius
2005-06-27, 10:38am
Yepper - just don't try to be like SpongeBob SquarePants and try to blow complicated designs...propane isn't a good medium for blowing bubbles with.

Cyndi
2005-06-27, 8:33pm
I bought an inexpensive mini spray bottle in the cosmetics department- I keep that near my torch filled with water and dish soap. I just spray the connections, if there's no bubbles I wipe it off with a damp towel.