Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Sculpting A Lampwork Flower Bead

Pages : [1] 2

helensharvest
2008-07-26, 2:05pm
It was a hard labor, and she was just delivered today...still a couple typos, but I'm leaving them for now because it's just TOO exciting.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=13704243

Hope some folks buy her (or her clones) and we see lots of glorious glass gardens blooming throughout the cyberworld. ♥ Love, Helen, excited to be able to get back to my studio...

suzanne
2008-07-26, 2:17pm
Hi Helen,

Congrats on your new tutorial but I do have to ask, is the tutorial $100 or did you make a typo??

helensharvest
2008-07-26, 2:21pm
No type, Suzanne, and it's worth lots more! I have made lots of money in the last 6 years making these glass flower beads, and my ebook is valuable. ♥ Love, Helen

glasshouse
2008-07-26, 3:20pm
Looks like a great tutorial! :) :love:

Moth
2008-07-26, 3:26pm
Good luck with your tutorial, Helen. They really are hard work.

~~Mary

Ever After
2008-07-26, 3:27pm
yes! good luck! it is tons of work!
and I just got done looking at the listing, and wow you have amazing hair!!!

suzanne
2008-07-26, 4:47pm
No type, Suzanne, and it's worth lots more! I have made lots of money in the last 6 years making these glass flower beads, and my ebook is valuable. ♥ Love, Helen

I'm sure it's worth every penny, I hope I didn't offend you asking if this was a typo or not. I wish you lots of luck selling your beautiful flower tutorial:)

dgg112
2008-07-26, 5:51pm
Best of luck with your new ebook Helen!!!
I love your new cottage roses you've got up on etsy, just breathtaking!!!!

helensharvest
2008-07-26, 6:06pm
No prob, Debbie! ♥ The Roses are sold w/ an order in different colors. Thanks so much! Love, Helen

Jenfire
2008-07-26, 8:00pm
Helen,
I ask this only because I can not pick up the book and thumb thru it. Do you offer advice on sculpting flowers such as your tulips or roses, cane colors and mixing etc? I ask only because the description makes it sound like you are just teaching the bead shown and a leaf tutorial.
Thanks
Jen

helensharvest
2008-07-26, 8:21pm
No, Jen. Those are much more complex.
This ebook will teach you to make a basic and balanced sculpted 5 grooved petal Flower, a sturdy one which could be a springboard for any you can imagine. This sturdy like a Croc and lovely like a spike heel Flower Bead was 6 years evolving (see? I DO believe in evolution:). I will have several more later with precise instruction for varieties, birds, fish, squirrels, etc., but this first one is a foundatin for those to come. I'm getting old and want to pass on these tips, and my kiddos don't like melting glass?!? ♥ Love, Helen

debkauz
2008-07-26, 8:55pm
Are the others included in the initial cost or will they be separate? I wish you all the best in getting your information out there but I can't imagine spending $100 on something I can't pick up and thumb through first. Your beads are beautiful so I'm sure people are going to love it!

Jenfire
2008-07-26, 9:09pm
LOL -- thanks Helen for such a prompt answer! That is my quote of the week, "sturdy like a Croc and lovely like a spike heel"
Jen

LavenderCreek
2008-07-27, 4:35am
Love your work, good luck Helen!

helensharvest
2008-07-27, 5:40am
Thanks, Friends.

No, Deb, the additional ebooks will naturally be additional cost. It's a brave new cyberworld out there, and I think the convenience of having instruction delivered into your emailbox, ready whenever you are to print a page to work on when you're ready, is an awesome advantage to a book you don't want to get dirty or have room for near your torch. When your cold drink condenses on it, no prob, just throw it away as a coaster.:)

I have found throughout the years of my making everlasting glass flower garlands, that many ladies like buying, collecting, wearing them. I have made a lot of money doing it. I have had the pleasure of dressing brides and brideparents, matching flowers to prints in fabrics, and various other personal projects. Wearable Botany is very desirable...if it's sturdy, and mine is...THAT"S what my ebook teaches. The frills come later...gotta' learn the scales and major keys before we rock in E flat.:) ♥ Love, Helen

Anne Ricketts
2008-07-27, 7:34am
Good luck Helen!! I know how much work goes into your wonderful flower beads!!

Elleth
2008-07-27, 8:25am
Helen,
I am considering getting your tutorial, from what I've seen of your work it looks like it will be a good one! But, like Deb, spending that much on something I cant have a peek at first gives me pause. With that in mind is there anyway you can share some additional images with us without giving away any of your techniques?

miahawk
2008-07-27, 10:54am
I have a question as well, regarding this paragraph:
"I will email you in PDF form the 2.2MB File, with the password to open it. Please do NOT share my original techniques with your lampworking friends. They are for your beads only. I encourage you to email me if you have any questions, and I can't WAIT to see the gorgeous Flower Beads you make."

when you say "for your beads only" do you mean I can use the techniques in my work that I intend to sell, or do you mean I can use the techniques in beads I make for myself?

helensharvest
2008-07-27, 12:40pm
Thanks, Y'all!
My techniques, when you buy them, become your techniques, and are for your beads to be sold or kept as you like. I just ask that you keep the "secrets" to yourself for your benefit of your own work. I'm a painter, and have learned to translate an image into 3D on the front, but flat on the back, similar to a plaque. That way it has the appearance of a realistic flower, but is comfortable and strong to the wearer. I haven't seen anyone else make these, and I offer email support if you have any questions, forever. :) Thanks, ♥ Love, Helen

debkauz
2008-07-28, 8:24pm
Not quite sure that this will come across as intended but I sure hope it does. I'd love to buy your tutorial but I won't pay $100 for a 28 page (I think) tutorial. When most of the tutorials (actually all of them) that I've seen are in the $13-$18 range I'm not sure how yours is so different to make me want to pay that much more for it. If you are asking me to consider paying that much I would really need to know what makes it so different. I'm not trying t I'm NOT trying to say that you don't have the right to charge that BTW, because you have every right to charge what you want. I can think of a book that many people think of as very pricy for $75 that has a ton of information/techniques in it, not just one. I do want to say that I would buy it in a flash if it was in the $25 or less range but there's just no way I can ever justify $100 for a tutorial.

helensharvest
2008-07-28, 8:58pm
You're not alone, Deb..I haven't even sold one yet. Most folks won't pay $100 for an ebook when there are plenty way cheaper ones around. I wouldn't either unless it was worth it, and the only place to get the original details. I know, because they are my details that I discovered from making thousands of petals, correctng mistakes, trying new adjustments, experimenting w/ a husband who throws my beads into a glass water bowl for quality control.:) My book is only for those who want to make sculpted flower beads, my specialty, and are willing to pay $100 for it. I wish it had been available for me years ago.

My beads are my original designs, although copied often, as you may have noticed through the years. I have been an organic, botanical, realistic and abstract flower painter/gower/crafter for decades. Have you seen how many repeat buyers I have? Click on the numbers behind my name to check out my designs, if you are unfamiliar with my beads. The quality and quantity of my work speaks for itself. God has richly blessed the work of my hands, all glory & thanks to Him.

How long do you think it will take one to learn to make glass flower beads to sell, with email coaching for life? How many gorgeous beads will they have to sell, with my blessing rather than stolen, to make back that c note? Many of my beads having many steps, take over an hour..not for the faint of heart or beginner. You don't want to sell those for $10 either, or you haven't even covered your costs. Those that want it will buy it.:)

Thanks for your comments. ♥ Love, Helen

Janine
2008-07-28, 9:19pm
Deb, thank you for your post. I was trying to figure out how to ask that but could not articulate it.

Helen, your beads are indeed gorgeous, and I appreciate you posting your thoughts so clearly, without taking offense. :-)

Troll Lover
2008-07-29, 4:01am
And it is sold. Gosh Helen, I really LOVE your work and I wish I had the cash to buy the tut, really! And if you'll ever make a tut on this one, I'd buy it right away!
http://ny-image1.etsy.com/il_430xN.30353009.jpg

helensharvest
2008-07-29, 7:27am
Thanks, Deb. I think you jump started my sales...sold 2!

Thanks, Anouk. I can't remember what inspired that piece, maybe old barkcloth? My best friend Liz, a master gardener who grows many of my models, ordered one of those yesterday, so I have to make it again...I write detailed descriptions just in case that happens, so I can at least remember the impression that inspired me, but I think I mixed some of those layers for sure. Good day all...hope to spend much of it melting glass.

♥ Love, Helen

Anne Ricketts
2008-07-29, 7:47am
Thanks, Deb. I think you jump started my sales...sold 2!

Yay Helen! :grin:

debkauz
2008-07-29, 7:47am
It's a stunning piece.

Glad it's selling for you Helen!

glassactcc
2008-07-29, 7:58am
Helen. I have always been a HUGE fan of your beads. Anytime I saw them on Ebay, I would just be so inspired.

Good luck with your tut and the way I see it is, I go out to dinner and spend close to that much. I would much rather have your tut and have a grilled cheese sandwich instead.

Carlabeads
2008-07-29, 8:00am
That's so true, Cynthia.

If I could afford it, I would absolutely buy it. Maybe I need to get to work on my own tutorial so I can afford to buy Helen's. ;)

AKDesigns
2008-07-29, 11:41am
Here's my take on all of this and I realize that most won't agree. I think people are selling all of their experience, expertise and secrets that they have developed over many years....way too cheap.

glassactcc
2008-07-29, 11:47am
I agree. Especially the artists who have been doing this for a long time. I think even $100.00 is cheap and the others are going for so little.

Here's my take on all of this and I realize that most won't agree. I think people are selling all of their experience, expertise and secrets that they have developed over many years....way too cheap.

Hayley
2008-07-29, 12:16pm
My techniques, when you buy them, become your techniques, and are for your beads to be sold or kept as you like.. . . and I offer email support if you have any questions, forever. :)

Combined what Amy said "all of their experience, expertise and secrets that they have developed over many years" with the fact that it's all rights released and with email support – it is worth WAY more than its price tag.

AKDesigns
2008-07-29, 12:27pm
Personally if I was going to do one (and I'm not), I would set up a private Yahoo email group. Anyone that purchased my tutorial would be a member and receive all the questions asked and my answers. In the future there will be a way to do that right here on LE even. I think by doing something along those lines that a higher tutorial price is even more justified. I think higher prices are already justified though.

ItsMeRoRo
2008-07-29, 12:34pm
I LOVE this tut and will save my pennies to get it...

I am curious as to which torch you use. I am on a Minor and do find some struggle with making larger items such as these. I would like to get an appropiate torch too...

Thanks for the insight. I think $100 is a lot of money, but more than fair.

:)

Moth
2008-07-29, 1:08pm
Sorry! Posted in the wrong thread...I'm moving it.

:-)

helensharvest
2008-07-29, 1:22pm
I have a Bobcat, my first and maybe last torch...love it so much, especially since I can touch it and not get burned...spoiled I am, w/o interest (so far) in Boro...but that could change.:) ♥ Thanks, Love, Helen

ROC
2008-07-29, 2:02pm
Helen, your tut was sold out when I looked at it a minute ago. Isn't this sort of the concept of an internet lampwork class? I'd pay $100 to take a class in person, and if you're offering the same help I could get in person, it's worth the money. That said, though, I also greatly appreciate those who so generously share techniques and tips here.

Your pieces are true works of art, and I continue to look at the one I have, asking myself, "Now, how did she do this part?" I'm glad I got it when I did and was lucky enough to find a piece in my price range.

helensharvest
2008-07-29, 2:19pm
I relisted it, Rachel. Which piece do you have? ♥

helensharvest
2008-07-30, 5:56pm
I have tried 3 times to email a copy of my ebook to Australia w/o success. Has anyone else had this problem? We are having bad weather today and I'm on satellite. Will keep trying. Thanks, ♥ Love, Helen

pipyr
2008-07-30, 6:07pm
I have a Bobcat, my first and maybe last torch...love it so much, especially since I can touch it and not get burned...spoiled I am, w/o interest (so far) in Boro...but that could change.:) ♥ Thanks, Love, Helen

:lol: Just spend a little time with me, Helen...I bet you could make gorgeous boro things :twisted:

Anne Ricketts
2008-07-30, 7:15pm
Helen, have them check their junk mail, one gal had mine in there and one just didn't get it so I had to email to a different email but as far as I know, eveyone has gotten theirs!

mnoelker
2008-07-30, 7:19pm
Helen-You are a class act. Congrats on your tutorial!

helensharvest
2008-07-30, 7:26pm
Pipyr, I'd love to spend time and do boro w/ you, but doubt that will happen. When you get land, you spend all your time always working it...and we don't even have animals yet. We hate even to have to go to town...did I tell you the air smells like potpourri here?

Thanks, Anne. She had a prob w/ her paypal addy.

Mary, you are sweet, and thanks!

♥ Love, Helen

Orchid40
2008-07-30, 9:39pm
Hi Helen, I love your work & I believe you have set a new presidence (sp?) for the price of tutorials. Congratulations!!!

helensharvest
2008-07-31, 5:44am
Thankyou, Charlotte! ♥

Carols Glass
2008-08-01, 1:59pm
I want this tutorial SO badly. I can hardly sleep at night thinking should I get it or should I keep trying to make flowers my way.....?

Decisions, decisions!

playswithfire104
2008-08-01, 5:34pm
Oh get it Carol! :cool:

Carols Glass
2008-08-01, 7:09pm
Ok, Nancy!

I got it, I love it, now I'm going to go to my torch and make something beautiful, yahoo!

playswithfire104
2008-08-01, 7:16pm
Wow I didn't realize I had that much power! Maybe I can use some of that power to get people to buy my beads! :lol:

I can't wait to give it a try. Hopefully tomorrow.

Carols Glass
2008-08-01, 7:51pm
Nancy, I have to admit I had already bought it when I saw your great advice to go ahead and buy it, hehe.

It's going to be so much more fun knowing what to do than trying my own ways. Last night I had petals exploding all over the place and of course, me screaming and quitting and wanting this this tutorial!

I am really excited about going back to the torch now. But......I just had to make some Friday night popcorn and I'm enjoying that first. :-)

helensharvest
2008-08-01, 8:02pm
OK, ladies! I need to see all these Flowers blooming in your garden kilns tonight....please? I made a cow today. I may have made one before in my chicken phase, but living in the country makes you love country things I guess...Thanks, ♥ Love, Helen

Carols Glass
2008-08-01, 8:23pm
I'm going to go warm up the kiln now and we'll see what comes out in the

mooooooorning, hehe.

Carol

Hayley
2008-08-01, 8:23pm
I got one in the kiln, Helen! Can't wait till after the Gathering to try out your techniques. Needless to say, I didn't follow the instruction exactly . . . mine is more a hibiscus lol! Hope to make one more this evening!

Will sign up for bead coach this weekend. I am taking a workshop with Narikazu Kogure!!!

yellowbird
2008-08-01, 8:30pm
Helen I'm pretty close to getting your tut but only have a minor will that do? I'm not going larger anytime soon. that I know of.

I love cows can we see the cow?

Carols Glass
2008-08-01, 11:05pm
I used the tutorial to make a sunflower. I made a sunflower the other day and I believe this one I just made is SO much prettier, balanced and stable, but I was nervous and afraid if I didn't hurry up and get it in the kiln something would go wrong as it usually does or seems like it does. Then, I was going to quit for the night since it was so late but I just had to make a couple of the leaves too :-).

I can't wait till the morning and I hope we do get to see your cow, Helen!

helensharvest
2008-08-02, 5:47am
Hi yellowbird. I only have a Bobcat, have never used a Minor, but have read they are comparable. I do turn my candles way down, oxy up working so small. This is kind of hard stuff, even for advanced beadmakers, but I have tried to be clear in my instructions, and will hold your hands in a cyber way. ♥ Love, Helen

Carols Glass
2008-08-02, 10:27am
Helen,
Where is your cow?
I'll show you my sunflower if you show me your cow, lol.
Love,
Carol

Carols Glass
2008-08-02, 10:46am
yellowbird, I wrote this in the bathroom on LE but I copied and pasted because it might help you make your decision:

I got the tutorial yesterday and I personally know it was worth every penny and more. She does tell you what is in the tutorial. She teaches you to make the flower that is on the listing for the tutorial. She has said in a post I've read somewhere on LE that it is the foundation for making her other flowers.
Not only does she save you 6 years trying to figure it out for yourself but she has undoubtedly saved me a lot of glass.
I have a beautiful sunflower (of course, that's my opinion and my DH's opinion who rarely says anything about my beads) to show for it.
I put a clip on the printed out tutorial and when I was making the sunflower (I know that is not the flower she was teaching but it is what I chose to make)........anyway, I was able to flip to the page I needed and it was written so perfectly that it was easy to find the information I needed at the time while twirling my bead in the flame to keep it warm!
I marvel at the wisdom she had when writing this tutorial now that I've actually used it to make a flower .
I highly recommend it.
I haven't bought any other tutorials yet, not because I didn't want to but because I am making sculptural flowers at the present and really needed some help.
This tutorial was better than taking a $400 class in my opinion because I didn't have to leave home, I didn't have to get a hotel and, well you get the idea. It's not that I wouldn't do all the above, I just don't have the finances and in my city there is nothing available.

helensharvest
2008-08-02, 12:05pm
Thanks so much, Carol, you Sweety, you!
This is a bead of my across the road neighbor cow...my first from life, so don't judge too harshly..I make better flowers.:) ♥ Love, Helen, awaiting a Sunflower...

Carols Glass
2008-08-02, 12:56pm
That cow is soooooo cute! I bet your neighbor just loves it, too. It's got the sweetest expression, did you name it?

ok, since you showed me yours, I'll show you mine. Now, remember this is my first one and I was extremely nervous and well, I promise the next one will be better.

I need to get off this computer now and make my next one!

Amethyst_briolette
2008-08-02, 12:57pm
OMG. I would buy that tut in a HEARTBEAT! You're sold out Helen!

ALSO.. DRESDEN TULIP... O M G.. Unbelievable. Must have. need $$.. Someday, Helen, I WILL o9wn one of your masterpieces. It is on my bucket list.

helensharvest
2008-08-02, 1:07pm
The cow is my neighbor in the wooded acres, w/o a person living there. I have seen a man in a cowboy hat w/ a notebook in a pick up, counting the cows, recording the new calves perhaps. I think some daisies would look cute w/ cows, whatcha' think? A beadset is born.

Looks great, Carol...way better than my first! How long have you been melting glass? Is that striking Yellow? I have an order for a sunflower today. :) Thanks, ♥ Love, Helen

helensharvest
2008-08-02, 1:10pm
Try again, Amethyst. I'm listing on etsy as they are bought, or you can buy one here in the classifieds. Thanks for liking my Tulip, too. ♥ Love, Helen

Carols Glass
2008-08-02, 1:26pm
Thanks, Helen.

Yes, that is striking yellow. I was so excited I forgot to put some of my already made accent cane on the inside of the petals to make it look more realistic.

Maybe next time. Have fun on your sunflower making.

Also, the daisies is a great idea. I hope I get to see that set!

ETA: I've been torching since about Mother's Day of 2006

teachertracey
2008-08-02, 1:52pm
I just love your work, Helen. I ogle it and drool over it all the time. Congrats on the success of your tutorial!

Love the cow, and Carol's sunflower too. Pipyr's right,I know you'd rock boro too.

helensharvest
2008-08-02, 2:03pm
Thanks, teach!

Carols Glass
2008-08-02, 2:05pm
thank you so much teachertracey, I ogle and drool over Helen's work all the time too. Then, I make my DH turn around and look when he's sitting here behind me in his rocking chair :-). Today, I said, Look, dear, this is Helen's sunflower, my sunflower pales in comparison to hers!

helensharvest
2008-08-02, 2:08pm
No fair, Carol! I've probably made 50 or 100 in paint and glass, and fabric, too. I'm moving over for you.:)♥

Carols Glass
2008-08-02, 2:17pm
Helen, you always bless me with your kindness. :-)

Love,
Carol

helensharvest
2008-08-02, 2:23pm
Would you like to join beadcoach at yahoo? Sweetness nurtures my flowers to grow prettier.:)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beadcoach/?yguid=35159102 ♥

Carols Glass
2008-08-02, 2:46pm
I would love to!

Carols Glass
2008-08-02, 2:54pm
Ok, I joined and I am pending :-)

mad hatter
2008-08-02, 3:04pm
Well sometimes selling 300 at 20 is more than selling 30 at 100. But it is good to experiment with what the market will bear. More power to you.

Catt
2008-08-02, 3:19pm
I got my tutorial Helen, thanks so much!

I have to ditto everything that Carol has said. With all the hours I work with the presses leaves me no time to take classes, and little time on the torch. This tutorial that Helen has written works for me, it's the next best thing to taking a class. Now maybe, just maybe I can drool over my own flowers someday and not just Helen's :).

Carols Glass
2008-08-02, 3:45pm
Now, if I could just get my DH to cook for me like Helen's DH cooks for her, I'd be downstairs torching right now instead of making beef stew.

dgg112
2008-08-02, 4:15pm
Now, if I could just get my DH to cook for me like Helen's DH cooks for her, I'd be downstairs torching right now instead of making beef stew.

Helen's dh cooks for her??? Are the directions for making that happen in the tutorial??? If so I got to have it!!!!! LOL

helensharvest
2008-08-02, 4:22pm
Oh, come on, Y'all. My husband does a lot of stuff I'm not even gonna' talk about because I don't wanna' make you eat your hearts out.:)
What husband would shoot himself in the foot having his wife cook the food, when she could be making some bucks cooking glass in the studio to buy the food? I look forward to the day he can stay home w/ us all day.
♥ Love, Helen

Carols Glass
2008-08-02, 4:23pm
No, but I think that would make a great tutorial! "How to get your husband to cook food for you while you cook glass!"

yellowbird
2008-08-02, 4:36pm
thank you . Helen you're a riot. can't wait to get it.

playswithfire104
2008-08-02, 4:37pm
No, but I think that would make a great tutorial! "How to get your husband to cook food for you while you cook glass!"

If it is just grilled cheese sandwiches I don't need the tut. :lol:

ETA I did my first flower. Whew. I think this could be addictive. But I do think I have a couple of questions I'll send to beadcoach. Thanks so much for providing beadcoach.

Carols Glass
2008-08-02, 5:31pm
I just posted a couple of questions to beadcoach, I hope I see your questions and bead there too Nancy.

Carols Glass
2008-08-02, 9:36pm
The cow is my neighbor in the wooded acres, w/o a person living there. I have seen a man in a cowboy hat w/ a notebook in a pick up, counting the cows, recording the new calves perhaps. I think some daisies would look cute w/ cows, whatcha' think? A beadset is born.

Looks great, Carol...way better than my first! How long have you been melting glass? Is that striking Yellow? I have an order for a sunflower today. :) Thanks, ♥ Love, Helen

Helen, as I was making another sunflower, (you know PPP) I realized I had told you the wrong yellow and it is actually electric yellow. Sorry about that!

helensharvest
2008-08-02, 9:40pm
I don't hardly know the difference. I think I still have the same yellow from when I first started.:)♥ NightNight

helensharvest
2008-08-04, 6:33am
I just added some extra pix to our yahoo site, for you ladies who may need a little extra visual explanation, from one who looks at pictures and often skips words...hope they help you, and please post your Flowers! I can't WAIT to see them. Did my work help you? ♥ Love, Helen

jana
2008-08-04, 8:23am
With the price of this tutorial vs. others, pictures of what people are doing with your tutorial are going to help sell your tutorial. You have the support group private, which I understand, however you should make the photos public.

Would you like to join beadcoach at yahoo? Sweetness nurtures my flowers to grow prettier.:)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beadcoach/?yguid=35159102 ♥

helensharvest
2008-08-04, 8:39am
I encourage my ladies to show their glass flowers here and in s&t's and everywhere. But the pix we were talking about were additional ones for the ebook instructions, Jana. Thanks, ♥ Love, Helen

jana
2008-08-04, 8:43am
Ahhhhh I get it...thank you for clarifying. I thought it was a gallery.

Hayley
2008-08-04, 9:12am
Helen - thank you for the additional photos! I didn't get a chance to make another sculptural floral bead (been in Kogure's workshop all weekend learning Satake!) . . . I look forward to playing some more after the Gathering.

Carol - love your sunflower!

Helen - sweet cow!

I have to photograph my stargazer lily/hibiscus hibrid! ;-)

helensharvest
2008-08-04, 9:18am
I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting, Hayley...just kidding. I have about 3 things going on at once here, but just want to encourage you to post your pictures, at your leisure.:) ♥ Love, Helen, not afraid of hurricane eddie sposed to visit our land this evening, but little dog has been under the couch all day...

Carols Glass
2008-08-04, 9:29am
Thank you so much, Hayley! I really am excited about making flowers now with this tutorial. I should post my "before" sunflower so you can see the difference, hehe. It's just like night and day :-).

I can't wait to see everyone else's flowers, hint, hint!

My arm is bandaged because I burnt it reaching for a stringer and that cut my last flower session short but today is hopefully a different story, I can't wait to fire up the torch!

I love the extra instructional pics and info, thank you so much and I posted in our beadcoach group also.

Oh, our 5 dogs always want to be on your lap during storms, you're lucky, lol.

helensharvest
2008-08-04, 9:33am
Bless your heart...err, arm, Carol! May it be your last burn! Lavender essential oil is good for burns, too. ♥ Love, Helen

playswithfire104
2008-08-04, 9:56am
As soon as DH emptys a camera card I'll attempt to post some pictures. These flowers sure addicting!

Carols Glass
2008-08-04, 9:47pm
Nancy, you've got that right about the flowers being addicting. I've got 3 in the kiln but I don't know if any of them are presentable, however the last one I almost threw in the water in the middle of it, is kind of cute.

I was really anxious to see your flowers, Nancy and others, where are they? I want to see!

Hayley
2008-08-06, 2:48pm
I finally took a pix of my pathetic first flower! lol! I made the base too big (I am small beadie challenge . . . ) I am dying to torch so I can fix some of the mistakes I made (smaller base, thinner stringer for stamen, watch out for heating too much of the whitem, etc. etc)! Yet the Gathering is calling. I am actually posting this and then heading over to Oakland!!!

Thank you, Helen . . . I really enjoy doing sculptural flowers!!!

helensharvest
2008-08-06, 2:52pm
Oh, Hayley...it's wonderful! It's ever so much better than my first 100, for sure. Thanks, Sweety, and have a wonderful time! ♥ Love, Helen

Carols Glass
2008-08-06, 3:36pm
Hayley, that really is beautiful, I'm really looking forward to seeing your next sculptured flowers, too.

Helen, I have ordered some of the tools you use and I am believing that will help me a lot, but I just can't help making more flowers in the meantime. Some are terrible and go in the wonky pile and some I would almost wear, lol!

helensharvest
2008-08-06, 3:41pm
I got most of my tools at HobbyLobby, I think. I can't wait to see more, and how is your arm, Carol? ♥

Carols Glass
2008-08-06, 3:51pm
I definitely need the micro mashers. All I've had to use were my jewelry pliers.

My arm is not looking good, thanks for asking. The burn itself is only the size of a golf ball but the red area is spreading fast and swelling up and it is the size of a softball. Maybe it's because things are worse on the 3rd day it seems. I've kept antibiotics on it, but probably should have that medicine people talk about that is a prescription? Anyways, every now and then it hurts so bad I have to rest it on something. Feels like the bone was burnt? Probably not but that's how I describe the pain.

I know I'll be ok, thanks for asking. Hey, it doesn't keep me from making flowers so it can't be all that bad!

helensharvest
2008-08-06, 4:02pm
Go to an emergency room, Carol...couldn't hurt, and sure could help. Golf ball size sounds HUGE to me...half a dime and I'm crippled. Please? I'm having sympathy pains for you. No glass flowers are worth THAT much. ♥

playswithfire104
2008-08-06, 4:20pm
The prescription is Silvadine - not sure about the spelling. It was developed druing the Vietnam war to treat napalm burns. It is good stuff!

Carols Glass
2008-08-06, 4:34pm
Thanks, Nancy, I wrote that down.

If or when I go to the drs. I will ask about it.

For now, though, I'm going to go make some pretties hopefully!

Thanks,
Carol

Carols Glass
2008-08-06, 4:35pm
Helen, you are so thoughtful. I promise I won't let it go if it keeps getting worse.

But my torch is calling me!

hehe

Thank you so much for your concern,
Carol

kittyluv4ever
2008-08-06, 6:04pm
Hey Carol, one thing we found out the hard way with burns, do not use peroxide on them it actually eats away the newly forming skin around the outer edges. The cream is also sometimes called silver sulfadene. Hope you get better soon!

playswithfire104
2008-08-06, 7:08pm
My Dr. knows I play with fire. So I just called and asked for him to call it in for me and he did. It is a sulfa drug - I think that is what they call it so if you are allergic to sulfer or sulfites (?) you can't use it.

Carols Glass
2008-08-06, 8:25pm
Thanks again, Nancy, I'm allergic to quite a few things but I don't think sulfer is one of them.
Bet my doctor won't call anything in for me though without having a peek. Just a gut feeling.
It doesn't hurt to try though!
It's not getting any better.
Tomorrow I hope to wake up and all the red will be gone!:-)

Carols Glass
2008-08-06, 8:27pm
Donna,
I just saw your post, thank you.
You know, it's funny you mentioned the peroxide. I thought about putting it on it but decided to wait. Must have been instinct.
Now I know I won't put that on.
Wish I had some ST-37 around here though. I know that stuff works. I wonder if I just have a little, lol.

DayDream Beads
2008-08-06, 8:34pm
Carol, now you didn't tell me all this is going on with your burn. Get your fanny to the emergency room!!!! That is an order! You can give up torching for one day. You may have to to it longer if you don't get yourself taken care of (Lucy) lol
Need me to come over there and take you, hey, then I can go too and get taken care of, my problem is driving me insane.

Carols Glass
2008-08-06, 8:47pm
Thanks Diane, you have convinced me to go tomorrow if it's not better, lol!

Sure, come get me and we'll go together, sounds like a plan, hehe.

DayDream Beads
2008-08-06, 8:51pm
My head and neck is burning sooo bad. :(

Carols Glass
2008-08-06, 8:54pm
You must be a LOT more allergic to red than I am!

DayDream Beads
2008-08-06, 9:13pm
Looks like a big time sunburn, oh I hope it doesn't peel.

helensharvest
2008-08-07, 2:14pm
So, Carol...it's tomorrow, and we're awaiting your medical report...♥

Carols Glass
2008-08-07, 2:51pm
Helen,
My dear sweet wonderful DH, after I showed him my arm and told him I would have to go to the doctors if I didn't get something on my arm that worked.......got up and went to 2 stores looking for something for me. He ended up getting me some Johnson & Johnson First Aid Cream. I put it on with a bandage last night and when I got up this morning the red swollen area around the burn looked and felt so much better.
I'm on the road to recovery, yeah!
Thank you Helen for caring :-)

Here is a couple of pics to show you I am trying!

The light pink ones were from last night. The big one came loose from the mandrel when I was using the Lynx and I'm sure it was operator failure that caused it so my dear sweet wonderful DH hooked the Betta back up and I made the little one with it.

helensharvest
2008-08-07, 4:44pm
Carol, ain't husbands grand? Mine is my most encouraging fan, thinking ALL my beads masterpieces...we're so blessed!

I'm so glad your arm is better, but still keep an eye on it. I had to go to the store after a bad burn once, and went straight to the frozen food for a bag of frozen broccoli, and held it on my arm the whole shopping trip...did the trick, and then I bought it.:)

Now, to the flowers...no fair, Gal! Who's gonna' but my next ebooks if they see you doing double layers with the first? They look great, and I'm particularly impressed with the last White one...aren't you? Bravo! ♥ Love, Helen

SilverSage
2008-08-07, 4:46pm
uhh ohhh....I did mine with double layers, too :)

Carols Glass
2008-08-07, 5:01pm
Thank you, Helen, you're the sweetest :-).

My DH rarely applauds me but he does like the flowers more it seems.

I'm still waiting for my new tools. I have been using whatever is handy so far. I've used the Leonardo ruffler lately and of course the Leonardo pullers and pushers, lol. I love those things, but I know these particular flowers will be so much easier with the tools you use and I have ordered from JameyLynn at Howaco. I think she has them all!

Sorry for over-layering! I can't help myself!

helensharvest
2008-08-07, 5:33pm
Just kidding...layer on! You're making flowers for future queens and princesses' tiaras. :)
Julie, please show us yours, too? ♥

SilverSage
2008-08-07, 5:47pm
Ran out of time today. Will try to post a couple of pics tomorrow.

AKDesigns
2008-08-07, 6:26pm
I'm not a flower girl...yet at least, but I have to admit that I'm drawn to this thread. Carol, those are freakin' FAB!

Carols Glass
2008-08-07, 7:24pm
Amy, thanks! Talk about cheering somebody up, you sure cheered me up.

Just made one that broke from the bead release again. I needed that :-).

playswithfire104
2008-08-07, 8:02pm

I hope this worked. Here are my flowers. What do you think?

Carols Glass
2008-08-07, 8:06pm
Wow, you've been busy, Nancy. Beautiful flowers!

helensharvest
2008-08-07, 8:06pm
Be very gentle with your sculpting, Carol, to keep your release whole. I often break them when I get too rough or in a hurry...or put too much glass on. I think 13/32" mandrels, since they have more surface area, get a better grip on the glass. Eighth inch would be better but then you have to deal with the huge hole.:) ♥

Carols Glass
2008-08-07, 8:09pm
Helen, I'm using 3/32" right now. I don't know about 13/32".

Yes, it's when I'm in a hurry or getting carried away that it happens.

Thank you Helen.

helensharvest
2008-08-07, 8:10pm
They ARE lovely, Nancy! Thanks so much. BTW, how long have y'all been at the torch? ♥

helensharvest
2008-08-07, 8:11pm
Typo, Carol, and you're more than welcome...3/13" is correct..long day. ♥

playswithfire104
2008-08-07, 8:19pm
Thanks! The last one I tried to get fancy and used 3 different pinks and totally burned out the top layer so I got that ugly gray color. But at least I got more practice making them. I think I'm been toching for about 3 years.

Carols Glass
2008-08-07, 8:30pm
I don't know about 3/13" mandrels either, LOL!

Ok, I"m sorry.

I've been torching since about Mother's Day 2006 I think.

I wish I would have started when I was much younger!

helensharvest
2008-08-07, 8:35pm
Well, goodnight, Garden Ladies. I'm so proud of you, in a grandmotherly sort of way.:) ♥ Love, Helen

SilverSage
2008-08-08, 9:22am
Flowers 3, 4, & 5. You don't get to see 1 & 2 - we'll just have to say they were good practice :lol:

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/sterlingfindings/flowers.jpg

helensharvest
2008-08-08, 9:47am
Wow, Julie! They are BEAUTIFUL!
Ya'll are doing so awesome, and I thank you for posting pix of your first. I can only imagine what your later works will look like.
Uhoh, I better get in my studio and melt some glass.:) ♥ Love, Helen

Carols Glass
2008-08-08, 10:49am
Julie, thank you for sharing your flowers, I love them all!

I was extremely frustrated last night after one broke from the bead release and I didn't torch for hours. Then, when I went back to the torch I prayed, God, help me, don't let the bead release break, PLEASE! So, I'm just happy that it didn't happen after that plea for help, LOL!

here is last nights' pics. I won't make you sick by posting the pic I just took of my burn.

SilverSage
2008-08-08, 10:51am
Carol, Your flowers are lovely, especially this last one!

Carols Glass
2008-08-08, 10:51am
I'm out of white glass now so my flowers will be a lot different until I get more (coming with my tools soon)

dgg112
2008-08-08, 10:54am
Wow Ladies!! AMAZING flowers!!!
Carol have you tried Fusion bead release?? It's like cement!!! lol I finally figured out if I dilute it with some other release I get the perfect combination that works for me. But Fusion is great, it's so strong I have to soak the beads in water sometimes to get them off the mandrel.

Carols Glass
2008-08-08, 10:54am
Thank you, Julie.

I was working on roses before the tutorial came along and doing them vertically on the mandrel with the mandrel running through the middle of the rose. I was just beginning to try different methods of making them so that they would have the hole horizontally and here comes Helen's wonderful tutorial that saved me years of trial and error and lots and lots of glass.

I still love making the little roses with the holes down the middle, well someday, but for now I'm loving making these!!!

Carols Glass
2008-08-08, 10:56am
thank you so much Debbie!

No, fusion is on my list to try though, I've heard wonderful things about it.

I think the bead release breaking was just my own fault for not keeping the whole bead warm and tugging too hard.

Carol

SilverSage
2008-08-08, 10:56am
I'm with Debbie on the Fusion. That's what I use and I haven't broken the release on a single flower yet!

Carols Glass
2008-08-08, 11:03am
hmmm, who carries it?

helensharvest
2008-08-08, 11:06am
It's BEAUTIFUL, Carol! And I love your Leaves, too! I often make a set with a large flower in the center, bordered with leaves, then buds pointing upwards, as if they are growing. I learned the design from an old chintz logo, and the flourish just happens to work great with glass flowers. Keep up the great work...you get an "A+". :) ♥ Love, Helen

Carols Glass
2008-08-08, 11:08am
Helen,

An A+ means a LOT coming from you!
Thank you so much.
You really made my day!
I just want to make more and more and more! (yes, it's addicting)

Carol

dgg112
2008-08-08, 11:08am
I've gotten it from Bill Thornton (Morettiandmore) and I think Howaco, I'm sure all or most of the suppliers carry it!

SilverSage
2008-08-08, 11:09am
I always get the Fusion Bead Separator from Frantz. I don't know who else carries it.

dgg112
2008-08-08, 11:10am
Wow Carol got an A+!!!
Congratulations!!!!! :0)

Carols Glass
2008-08-08, 11:11am
Great, thanks!

Carols Glass
2008-08-08, 11:12am
Wow Carol got an A+!!!
Congratulations!!!!! :0)

Thanks, I'm so happy!

helensharvest
2008-08-09, 4:21pm
I had my 400th sale on etsy today, and to celebrate, I am offering $10 off this ebook for all the wonderful LampworkEtc. Street Team members...you know who you are. I ♥ etsy. ♥ Love, Helen

Carols Glass
2008-08-09, 10:40pm
Congratulations, Helen!
There is hardly a day that goes by that I don't go to look at all your flowers on etsy, it's like walking through a garden for me. Just beautiful. That is a nice offer, I hope you get lots of takers.

helensharvest
2008-08-11, 2:29pm
Thanks, Carol. You are so sweet. Since you are hanging around here, I might as well post my new work for you...then you won't have to go find it.:) See that Pinky set? You and Julie inspired that one with your double layers. ♥ Love, Helen

Carols Glass
2008-08-11, 3:33pm
What beauties you hold in your hand, Helen!

It's no trouble finding your other garden flowers, I usually just click on your etsy when you post :-).

Thank you for sharing here though. I love each and every one of them.

Carol

playswithfire104
2008-08-11, 7:15pm
WOWWIE!!! Gorgeous!!!

helensharvest
2008-08-11, 7:54pm
Thanks, Misses Nancy and Carol. I tried a new color combo today for a Pat Austin Rose, and if it turns out, I'll show you tomorrow.
How do y'all's gardens grow, eh? Nightynight ♥ Love, Helen

helensharvest
2008-08-12, 8:33am
The Pat Austin came out so here she is. I'm praying for your Dad, Carol. ♥ Love, Helen

Carols Glass
2008-08-12, 11:10am
Wow, Helen, you've really made progress, LOL!

Or should I say, you've really outdone yourself!

Anyways, thanks for your prayers for my dad, he needs a miracle and I'm a believer.

My garden hasn't been growing since my granddaughter has come for a visit a couple of days ago. She is 18 like my son who is still living with me.

Have a blessed day, Helen and keep up the marvelous work. I wonder how do you do all that in such a short amount of time. How many hours do you usually torch at once?

helensharvest
2008-08-12, 11:29am
Hi, Carol. I usually work in my studio about 5 or 6 hours a day, and at least that at the computer, taking Sunday off, and Wednesday is no torch day to get orders out, and let my gimp shoulder rest. The rose above took about 2 hours. Thanks for liking it, and God's blessings to you.♥ Love, Helen

dgg112
2008-08-12, 11:58am
The Pat Austin came out so here she is. I'm praying for your Dad, Carol. ♥ Love, Helen

OMG Helen that is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'd love to have your talent to make all those beautiful flowers!!!! You are amazing!!

helensharvest
2008-08-12, 12:42pm
Well, Texas Debbie...you can't have My talent because God already gave you YOURS.

I heard a guy say that the other day. God gives everyone 2 things, talent and time.

But you can BUY my techniques.:) They ain't cheap, and neither are my Beads, but rather valuable.

Y'all, we are making art, and it IS valuable. I've been an artist since I was a hippy in highschool home ec, when Sr. Collette let me embroider a picture rather than make a 5th mini skirt in 1964.

I've sold a lot of art in a lot of mediums. I used to have needle work things in head shops all along the interstate so when I would go to a town, I'd go pick up consignment money to party on. We're talking 60-70's here.

I moved to CA and got a job teaching in an embroidery studio and later saw one of my designs in a needlecraft window in a mall in Fort Worth. Ah, the taste of fame this little hippy had then, but w/o being paid much for it.

Later, I married a signpainter, and we painted the town, figuratively and literally, but we spent all our money and when computers started doing our art, we had no $30,000 for one. I painted fabric quilts and even had an opening at a gallery, a little fame and a little money. We got saved around that time, and spent all our time in the Bible trying to see how we were supposed to be living the second half of our spent lives.

We paint big, and love simple, bold graphics, having done it a lot, but this tiny glass art gig is the BEST! I can revisit my childhood embroidery and apply it to glass. I can march my little boxes to my country mailbox w/o having to go to town, and get exercise doing it (heehee, need all of that I can get.)

I don't have to tell any of you what fun torching is, the riches that await there, in creating, but in SELLING your art, too! Sometimes I think there's some kind of art guilt that makes artists underestimate their work...get over it. If the grocery store charges for their produce, why don't you? It IS valuable, and many folks value it and will pay a LOT for your work! ♥ Love, Helen, very blessed, having bought a car, some land, and lots of other goddies through lampwork, and thanking God!

EmbellishYourself
2008-08-12, 2:16pm
Helen, thank you for telling your story, it's very inspirational!

playswithfire104
2008-08-12, 3:42pm
Sometimes I think there's some kind of art guilt that makes artists underestimate their work...get over it. If the grocery store charges for their produce, why don't you? It IS valuable, and many folks value it and will pay a LOT for your work! ♥

OK send those people my way!! :lol: No really send them!!

I'm doing a show this weekend and I am such a tutorial ho that I keep buying new ones so I've been doing all kinds of stuff. Creatures, trees, leaves, rosebuds, batik patterns and even a budda head wine stopper. I have no idea what will sell best. So I have a bit of everything. If something special does really well on Fridaay I'll come home and make more, ditto for Sat. But after the show I plan on spending lots of time on your flowers. I have another show coming up at the end of the month but it is for finished jewelry. Do you have any pictures of your flowers that have been made into finished jewelry?

Actually now that I think about it, I'll probably start Christmas stuff soon. Poinsettias maybe? We'll see.

helensharvest
2008-08-12, 6:49pm
Oh, Nancy, I'm sure you'll do great.
I don't have any pictures of finished jewelry, probably since I string mine mostly ready to wear. I spoiled my friends when I first started beading, and just kept it up. I usually use the main focal flower for a centerpiece, since it's heaviest, with a few beads up the sides with leaves, bugs, birds. I like to use czech little flowers, too, and I have seed beads in lots of colors.:) I love the smallness of them, adding scale to a set.
I like to make Poinsettias, too, but let's do Fall first, eh? ♥ Love, Helen

helensharvest
2008-08-13, 5:48pm
If you have bought this ebook of mine and have not receieved it, please empty your email inbox. I got one back while ago saying your box was full, and would like to send it to you.♥

DayDream Beads
2008-08-13, 8:12pm
Helen, It is hard to believe that your flowers are made of glass. They are so beautiful. If only one day I can make flowers half as beautiful as you make.

helensharvest
2008-08-13, 9:00pm
Well, Thank you, Diane. I just peeked at 3 of the cutest grandkiddies I ever saw. I haven't any of those, just grand beadies, heehee. Better go to sleep now. ♥ Love, Hlen

kbinkster
2008-08-13, 10:07pm
Thank you, Helen, it came through just fine on my alternate email. My inbox really isn't full, it just thinks that it is sometimes.:love:

helensharvest
2008-08-14, 5:58am
Are you guys interested in a Squirrel ebook, with Acorn and Oak Leaf? I'm working on one now, but it's really difficult, and I think I should do a simpler one first...whatcha' think? Also, I'm planning on giving discounts to repeat buyers...like that idea? ♥ Love, Helen, excited to be a fiddling fool much of today :-({|=

SilverSage
2008-08-14, 6:48am
Hi Helen,
I'm afraid the squirrel, acorn and oak leaf has no interest for me (sorry), but I'm definitely interested in more complex flower designs.

GlassGalore
2008-08-14, 10:16am
Hi Helen,
I'm afraid the squirrel, acorn and oak leaf has no interest for me (sorry), but I'm definitely interested in more complex flower designs.

I'd not so much be interested in the squirrel part, but I like the acorn and leaf idea, and ditto on the more complex flower designs. And I very much like the idea of a discount for repeat buyers. ;) Congrats on this new direction, Helen!

playswithfire104
2008-08-14, 2:07pm
I have to agree. I'm not real excited by a squirrel. Now the Panda, that's another story! I'm also looking forward to the birds nests with eggs, roses and that glourious tulip!!!

GlassGalore
2008-08-14, 2:14pm
I have to agree. I'm not real excited by a squirrel. Now the Panda, that's another story! I'm also looking forward to the birds nests with eggs, roses and that glourious tulip!!!

Yes, yes, I second the panda, birds, nests, cabbage roses and tulips as well. And let's not forget the gorgeous koi and waterlilies. But you have to keep some secrets for yourself I suppose, so I'm happy with whatever you decide to share! :)

kbinkster
2008-08-14, 7:24pm
Koi? Did someone mention koi?

GlassGalore
2008-08-14, 8:26pm
Koi? Did someone mention koi?

Yup, Helen makes a beautiful koi. Help me twist her arm (gently) to add that to her tutorial Tut-Do list. ;) :lol:

helensharvest
2008-08-15, 6:14am
Good Morning, Y'all!

I downloaded a huge game patch for my teenager overnight, and my satellite hughsnet is "punishing" me today w/ super slow bandwidth usage, I think for 24 hours, so I should be back late tonight.

I won't be able to mail any ebooks probably until then, but I can sure work on the next one, which will be "Perfecting The Pansy with Leaves and Honey Bees". It will be different than Laurie's, and I asked her permission before deciding to do it. I have had more requests and sold more Pansies than any Flower, except maybe the Rose, (and I am planning an ebook on several styles of Roses and Buds also) but the Pansy was next in line in my glass gardening discoveries, so I'd like to loosely stick to the progress pattern that emerged, with each Flower more detailed and complex.

Repeat Buyers will be $75 from now on, and First Time Buyers still $100, with email support for life, as usual.:)

Have a good day at your garden torch, and please post pictures here, too, as well as at the yahoo group. They look GREAT, says the old proud MawMaw.:) ♥ Love, Helen, sad to be mia for a day...did I say I don't reccomend hughesnet...it was my only option?

dgg112
2008-08-15, 6:35am
♥ Love, Helen, sad to be mia for a day...did I say I don't reccomend hughesnet...it was my only option?[/QUOTE]

GEEZ Helen I feel your pain!!! lol I have hughesnet too and that little technicality is NOT something they mention ahead of time!! We are extremely out in the boonies and it was either hughes or dialup, so I finally took the plunge last Dec for hughes. Since then I think at least once a month we go over our fair practice thingie,what a crock! I finally went up to the next level.

I've got flowers to show but it'll be this afternoon, I'm off to torch on this glorious COOL and RAINY day, such a wonder and rare thing around here!!!

Troll Lover
2008-08-15, 7:15am
OMG Helen, that rose is just outstanding!!!!!

helensharvest
2008-08-15, 11:16am
Thanks, Anouk, and thanks for buying it! May you be ever blessed when you wear it! ♥ Love, Helen

Troll Lover
2008-08-15, 11:30am
Thanks Helen, I just couldn't resist it :love:!

dgg112
2008-08-17, 6:32am
This is my latest and most successful flower yet. I've posted it on ebay, in memory of a friend we lost recently to cancer, with all proceeds going to the American Cancer Society. It's the best yet and I really love making these flowers. Thanks so much to Helen!!!

helensharvest
2008-08-17, 6:40am
It's GREAT, Debbie! And already has 3 bids! I linked it here, because when I clicked your ebay it said you had no listings..go figure. Keep up the good work.:) ♥ Love, Helen

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220270036648&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=012

dgg112
2008-08-17, 7:35am
It's GREAT, Debbie! And already has 3 bids! I linked it here, because when I clicked your ebay it said you had no listings..go figure. Keep up the good work.:) ♥ Love, Helen

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220270036648&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=012

Thanks Helen

I think I got the link fixed.. maybe

dgg112
2008-08-17, 7:39am
Thanks Helen

I think I got the link fixed.. maybe

nope.... ok I tried again now it's fixed!

Carols Glass
2008-08-17, 11:39am
That is really beautiful, Debbie in Texas!!!

I'm waiting for my needlenose mashers, once I get those, watch out, lol.

I should get them this week.

helensharvest
2008-08-17, 11:54am
Hi, Carol. The ones I use are only bent needlenose tweezers, I think from Hobby Lobby in a set of 3 or 4 tweezers, in case you get impatient. ♥

Carols Glass
2008-08-17, 11:56am
I just happen to have a coupon, maybe I will run over there tomorrow if I don't get something in the mail, thanks Helen!

Carols Glass
2008-08-17, 11:56am
What department of Hobby Lobby did you find them in?

About my dad, I haven't gotten to speak with him but one of my sisters got to speak with him on Wednesday when he called her on his cell phone from the hospital!! She said he talks more clearly than he did before!!! That is exactly what I've been praying for, too. Shoot for the moon, lol. Thank you for your prayers, Helen.

dgg112
2008-08-17, 12:08pm
That is really beautiful, Debbie in Texas!!!

I'm waiting for my needlenose mashers, once I get those, watch out, lol.

I should get them this week.

thanks Carol.
I found an old pair on my work table. Wonderful surprise!! They're just the cheapie ones, but the "nose is extra long" and very tapered. they are now with my torching things lol

helensharvest
2008-08-17, 12:11pm
Aw, I'm delighted your Dad's doing better! Prayer is our delightful duty.
I think maybe near the soft flex? or an aisle or 2 around there. Want me to forward you a 40% discount coupon you can print? ♥

helensharvest
2008-08-17, 12:13pm
Oh, I read you already had a coupon...remember when you tweeze, get in and out really quick so they don't stick.:)

helensharvest
2008-08-19, 6:15am
Carol, dear...look what I found for you! Halfway down the page are the ones like I use and on sale for 4.95...Arrowsprings has the best tools, don't you think? ♥ Love, Helen

http://arrowsprings.com/

helensharvest
2008-08-19, 6:47am
Yikes, here are the 2 tools I found in a pack. ♥

http://www.craftsetc.com/store/item.aspx?ItemId=28968&dep=85&cat=40&subcat=10&Search=Y

Carols Glass
2008-08-19, 8:54am
Thank you, Helen, I appreciate those links. I did get my marvelous needlepoint tweezers yesterday. I just love them!
I have tweezers that look like the ones at arrow springs but not the ones in the craftsetc dot com link. I've never seen ones like those before!
Last night, my second attempt at making the flower as in your tutorial looks bootiful and I made a cross and I like it, too!
Thanks so much!
Carol

Rose Leslie
2008-08-19, 11:41am
I see that your tut is sold out. I won't have any money for one until the end of the month. Are you going to have more? Please let me know. Thank you so much.

helensharvest
2008-08-19, 11:46am
I have plenty, Rose Leslie. My new url beadcoach.com links to an old listing and I don't know how to fix it w/ my finicky server. Having 2 url's on the same server is t-r-i-c-k-y. I'll figure it out eventually, but I keep one here and one on etsy, for when you're ready. Thanks, ♥ Love, Helen

kbinkster
2008-08-19, 12:23pm
I made my first one just the other day. Should I post a picture?

helensharvest
2008-08-19, 12:29pm
Oh, please do, Kimberly! Did you use one of those new Crickets? ♥ Love, Helen

Carols Glass
2008-08-19, 12:32pm
I can't wait to see your flower, Kimberly!

kbinkster
2008-08-19, 1:40pm
Well, it's nothing to write home about, but I thought I'd share anyway.:lol:

This was my very first attempt at the tutorial flower and I deviated a little. I made the petals two-toned and pointed. It was made on a Cricket on, I believe, 5 LPM.

helensharvest
2008-08-19, 1:44pm
It's darling, Kimberly! Looks like a Starflower, eh? A little Floral Jewel, and thanks for sharing it. ♥ Love, Helen

Carols Glass
2008-08-19, 1:46pm
That is a beautiful flower, Kimberly, thank you for posting a picture of it :-)

dgg112
2008-08-19, 1:54pm
Well, it's nothing to write home about, but I thought I'd share anyway.:lol:

This was my very first attempt at the tutorial flower and I deviated a little. I made the petals two-toned and pointed. It was made on a Cricket on, I believe, 5 LPM.

ALLLLLLL RIGHHHHHTTTTTTTT KIMBERLY!!! That's a great flower!!!!

Aren't they fun??? one question, what the heck is a cricket??? I was expecting to see a little bug on your flower!!! lol

kbinkster
2008-08-19, 3:46pm
Thank you Helen, Carol, and Debbie! :)

Helen, you are so very encouraging. I really enjoyed your tutorial and the support you offer on the yahoo group.

Carol and Debbie, I hope to someday catch up with you and your beautiful flowers - you both have really taken off with this technique.

Debbie, the Cricket is a new torch. There's more about it in the torch forum.

Carols Glass
2008-08-19, 5:11pm
Kimberly, thanks and I'm wondering how you did that two-tone on your flower, that is gorgeous. I want to do that!

I almost had a cute little flower to put in the kiln, still trying to make the perfect flower like the one on the front of the tutorial...........almost.......then of course, I ruined it by trying to make it just a little better. I thought the top petals needed to be just a little taller to hide the base. Then, there was this ugly gunk that I saw on the front petal, then it was hopeless after that, I gave up but it is in the kiln anyways.

I'm going to keep trying until I make one I would be proud of enough to sell!

Kimberly, I want a Cricket! Are you selling those?

Rose Leslie
2008-08-19, 5:12pm
Thank you for answering my question.

helensharvest
2008-08-19, 5:35pm
You're welcome, Rose Leslie!:)
I'm covering blending colors on petals in my next ebook, Carol. Thanks, ♥ Love, Helen

Carols Glass
2008-08-19, 6:22pm
Sounds great, Helen!

Carols Glass
2008-08-19, 6:27pm
I will probably wait on the torches to see how everyone likes them and of course when I have more spending money!

Mostly just wondered if you are selling them, Kimberly.

kbinkster
2008-08-19, 9:11pm
I'm not selling the Crickets just yet, Carol. Maybe I will be by the time you're ready for a new toy.:)

I am so enjoying this tutorial! I can't wait to see what you come up with next, Helen.

helensharvest
2008-08-20, 7:33am
Thanks so much, Kimberly!

My next ebook (I keep calling them ebooks rather than tutorials because that's what my publisher calls them, and she insists:) is named "Perfecting the Pansy with Leaves and Honey Bees".
It's basically the set I've sold hundreds of times on ebay and etsy called Pansy Buzz...
It is very intricate with details and is taking a rather long time to do, but will have advanced techniques I discovered as my Pansy evolved throughout the years.
This has been my most popular best seller (except Roses) as there are many Pansy Lovers throughout the world, especially botanical England and Australia. :)

I'm also planning a Rose Ebook, with several varieties, and perhaps Birds or Butterflies? I really like Birds because they eat the Japanese beetles on my roses and it's a thank you to them. But I love Butterflies, too, so we'll see. Pulling my mind back to getting in the studio to make pansies.♥ Love, Helen

Carols Glass
2008-08-20, 11:26am
Helen, that is so exciting, I can't wait!

dgg112
2008-08-21, 5:54am
Once you buy this tutorial, ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL you're going to want to do is make flowers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
I sit at the torch trying to decide what I'm going to try and before I know it, there's a flower started on my mandrel!!! LOL It's an obsession!!!!!
I've got a pretty good hibiscus made, but I need to take the picture again.

helensharvest
2008-08-21, 6:13am
I know exactly what you mean, Debbie!
To be able to imagine, make and have an everlasting crystaline flower that will never die in less than a day is an obsession I oblige almost daily. :) Isn't it fun, this glass gardening business?
I've been making autumn leaves last couple days, but flowers are more fun, and I hope to get back to them soon. ♥ Love, Helen

dgg112
2008-08-22, 7:53am
still having trouble with that little thingie!!! LOL

Helen hurry with the pansy tutorial, I'm out here floundering on my own!!! LOL
This is ink blue I don't know why it looks so dark in the picture cause in real life it's purple! :0(

helensharvest
2008-08-22, 8:01am
Wow, Debbie, your petals are looking GREAT! My teen is encouraging me to walk, torch, anything but work on my computer, where he is neverwintering knights or some such. And the computer is where I write, so...I'll listen to you instead of him...but he's here in my ear just waiting to jump in my chair when I get up...Keep up the great work, and how's your Pinky doing on ebay? I'll go peek. ♥ Love, Helen

EmbellishYourself
2008-08-22, 9:18am
Debbie those flowers are beautiful!!

Carols Glass
2008-08-22, 1:04pm
I love your flowers, Jenny!

dgg112
2008-08-22, 1:18pm
Wow, Debbie, your petals are looking GREAT! My teen is encouraging me to walk, torch, anything but work on my computer, where he is neverwintering knights or some such. And the computer is where I write, so...I'll listen to you instead of him...but he's here in my ear just waiting to jump in my chair when I get up...Keep up the great work, and how's your Pinky doing on ebay? I'll go peek. ♥ Love, Helen

thanks Helen!
How old is your son? Mine is 16 and I know exactly what you're talking about!!Tell him you have some desperate lampworkers in need of another ebook and for him to just think of all the cool games he can get when you start selling the next one!!!!

helensharvest
2008-08-22, 1:28pm
He's 14, but his big brother was 16 when he was born, so he's grown up with 3 (instead of 2) adults his whole life, so he thinks he's a man. He wants me to get a new computer because he gets the hand me down computers.:) I told him I had to sell lots of ebooks to get another, heehee. Guess we had the same answer already. Does yours argue w/ everything you say? My first was compliant, straight A, reader, but this one is a firecracker, who lives to game. Sigh...I jut finished my Leaf and Beed stage beads for the book, Deb, so we'll see how long it takes. I'm guessing maybe 2 or 3 weeks...lots of details? ♥Love, Helen

GlassGalore
2008-08-22, 7:45pm
He's 14, but his big brother was 16 when he was born, so he's grown up with 3 (instead of 2) adults his whole life, so he thinks he's a man. ... My first was compliant, straight A, reader, but this one is a firecracker, who lives to game. ....

Amazing what a difference a generation makes, eh Helen? Technology has come so far, so fast in the past 20 years that all the gaming, computer stuff etc... wasn't even a distraction when your oldest was a teen.

There are some terrific flowers coming out of this tute! Just a matter of time before I take the plunge and buy mine, although I'm no where near advanced enough to attempt them yet. ;)

helensharvest
2008-08-22, 8:06pm
Well, thankyou, Lisa! These lampers are putting out some great flowers so soon, eh? They do me proud.:)
Did you used to sell swanky Swarovski jewelry on ebay? I remember you from somewhere in cyberland.:) ♥ Love, Helen

dgg112
2008-08-23, 10:04am
He's 14, but his big brother was 16 when he was born, so he's grown up with 3 (instead of 2) adults his whole life, so he thinks he's a man. He wants me to get a new computer because he gets the hand me down computers.:) I told him I had to sell lots of ebooks to get another, heehee. Guess we had the same answer already. Does yours argue w/ everything you say? My first was compliant, straight A, reader, but this one is a firecracker, who lives to game. Sigh...I jut finished my Leaf and Beed stage beads for the book, Deb, so we'll see how long it takes. I'm guessing maybe 2 or 3 weeks...lots of details? ♥Love, Helen

Argue??? Why of course not, he's 16, he's knows everything and is always right!!! Oh and I have 4 girls, was so hoping raising a boy would be different. HA!! He can be just as moody as they were anyday!! AND his truck that he's had for 7 months has more "wrinkles" than I do and believe me I'm no spring chicken!!! LOL
OK two-three weeks?? Ok I can wait,... I guess!! lol
Thanks to everyone on all the nice comments on my beads, believe me it's Helen's help, I couldn't do this stuff before.
AND HOW COME I'M THE ONLY ONE PUTTING UP BEADS???????? That's wrong!! I feel like such a hog!!!!

helensharvest
2008-08-23, 11:36am
I'll show one, Debbie! But it's not from THIS ebook, but a way in the future one, heehee. I love Blue Flow and Willow and all that Blue China. My mil has some that was her mother's, and I love to see it, hold it, eat her great pie on it.:) Anyway, here's a set I made yesterday inspired by a cup I saw on ebay. ♥ Love, Helen

helensharvest
2008-08-25, 6:18am
At the suggestion of Tim Adams on etsy, I have started a monthly Lampwork Necklace giveaway to my enewsletter subscribers. I will print my list, cut it into strips and have my son pick one on the last day of each month for this year, at least. Please send me your name and email address to be included. I usually write weekly about my latest beads, and our greenhorn adjustment to country life....oooh, bugs? snakes? horses? ♥ Love, Helen

dgg112
2008-08-25, 7:11am
At the suggestion of Tim Adams on etsy, I have started a monthly Lampwork Necklace giveaway to my enewsletter subscribers. I will print my list, cut it into strips and have my son pick one on the last day of each month for this year, at least. Please send me your name and email address to be included. I usually write weekly about my latest beads, and our greenhorn adjustment to country life....oooh, bugs? snakes? horses? ♥ Love, Helen

bugs? snakes? and horses?? awww Helen that's sissy stuff, where are the wild hogs? panthers? and mountain lions??? not to mention the little guys like coyotes, bobcats and foxes!! lol those are the little goodies we've had to adjust to. I had not actually seen the panthers or mountain lions but we've been told they're out here. Two weeks ago my husband was out running (my athelete) and had stopped on the road to talk to a neighbor that happened to be driving by. He looked down the road (where he would have been walking any minute) and there in the middle of the road was a huge mountain lion. It walked on across the road and disappeared into the brush. Needless to say, my neighbor brought him home.
I have enjoyed reading about your country adjustments. Goats are a good substitute for sheep. I got started with goats back when I was making goat milk soap, duh it just made sense at the time to get a couple goats. They're great little pets! Mine are dwarf nigerian and I'm down to 10, of the 10, 6 were bottle babies and they still think I'm Mommy. If I sit down near them one has to get in my lap. That's a lapfull, let me tell you!!
Ok I'm off to sign up for your list, although I thought I already had, must have dreamed it!!

playswithfire104
2008-08-25, 7:25am
Amazing what a difference a generation makes, eh Helen? Technology has come so far, so fast in the past 20 years that all the gaming, computer stuff etc... wasn't even a distraction when your oldest was a teen.

There are some terrific flowers coming out of this tute! Just a matter of time before I take the plunge and buy mine, although I'm no where near advanced enough to attempt them yet. ;)

Lisa don't sell yourself short! Helen't tut is great and her 'after tut support' is unbeatable.

I have a BIG show this weekend - wish me luck everyone so I can pay off my CC that has all my tut charges on, and allow me to buy more! ;) After this show I can play on the torch more and make some more flowers. I haven't sold one yet but I get told how beautiful they are and I'm planning on making a necklace or two out of them, hopefully to sell this weekend. I did trade one with Cosmo/Chad at Beadfest and got THE most incredible marble! I'll post more after I make more. In the meantime if anyone makes jewelry out of theirs please post pictures of it.

dgg112
2008-08-25, 9:28am
I'll show one, Debbie! But it's not from THIS ebook, but a way in the future one, heehee. I love Blue Flow and Willow and all that Blue China. My mil has some that was her mother's, and I love to see it, hold it, eat her great pie on it.:) Anyway, here's a set I made yesterday inspired by a cup I saw on ebay. ♥ Love, Helen

Those roses are just incredible!!!
I haven't gotten the nerve to list any of mine yet, well except for the charity auction, that was different. When I look at yours and then look at mine I feel like a kindergartner next to Michaelangelo!! LOL I know practice practice practice!!!! :pout: lol

helensharvest
2008-08-25, 10:42am
Aw, Deb, don't despise the day of small beginnings, now. We have to start somewhere. I just wanted to show an example of how you can translate these techniques from china to a hot little rose bead in your hand. I LOVE seeing an idea realized into glass, don't you?

My husband has seen wild hogs and a wildcat, too. He didn't know if it was a bobcat or mountain lion...or swamp lion...couldn't resist...not even any hills here.:) I saw an eagle once.
We've heard of panthers, too, and I've seen the coyotes come out at dusk in our back woods. It's thrilling, but scary, too, and very much fun. I need to make some glass foxes, and coyotes. Funny how those prim flowers are getting wilder and more fauna than flora, this rural influence showing in my work, heehee. I have berries, black eyed susans and mushrooms in my yard today, with the Coreopsis in bud.

I need to learn about goats. Can you milk Neubian's? Do they have good feltable, spinnable wool, too? It's so hot here, I want to get compatable goats that won't eat everything. I think son would love them. Time to get back to work. Good day! ♥ Love, Helen

Carols Glass
2008-08-25, 4:53pm
I tried my torch at making a violet Friday or so and I will be trying again tonight. I have a flower book with pictures of real violets and I'm just having so much fun trying that I don't mind trying again, LOL if that makes sense.

Well, since I was young I heard that if at first you don't succeed, try, try again. I think it stuck!

Carol

helensharvest
2008-08-25, 6:18pm
Can't wait to see them, Carol. I make White Violets every Winter because they bloom in my meadow yard. ♥ Love, Helen

Carols Glass
2008-08-25, 8:00pm
Helen,

Boy, do I live a sheltered life. I had no idea there was even such a thing as a white violet. How can they be called violet if they aren't purple? lol

helensharvest
2008-08-26, 10:22am
Sure, Carol! I knew they were Violets by their botany, but I had to google them to make sure. They have a tiny Purple blotch, and are native to the parish (county) north of ours. They are my only Winter flower and quite delightfully welcome, when flowers are so sparce. I bought some Pineapple Sage last Spring and hope it flowers for Winter, too. That's the only ones I remember. :) ♥ Love, Helen, who made glass berries yesterday:)

Carols Glass
2008-08-27, 5:24pm
Ok, Helen, you asked for it. Here's my Violet set. :-)

helensharvest
2008-08-27, 5:47pm
Beautiful, Carol! I love the way you used different glasses for your Leaves, and your Buds look great, too! I'm one proud MawMaw! ♥ Love, Helen

dgg112
2008-08-27, 6:29pm
OH WOW Carol you did a beautiful job!!! And you do BUDS!!! I'm so jealous I do really bad buds!!! lol

Carols Glass
2008-08-27, 8:14pm
Thank you, guys! i appreciate your compliments so much.

And these flowers truly are addicting.

Sometimes I want to go to the flower shop and buy real flowers like you have, Helen but all I have is a book with pictures or google, lol.

helensharvest
2008-08-27, 8:30pm
Grocery stores have great flowers from Holland and France, and I encourage you to grow your models, Sweety. There's nothing more fun than planting zinnia seeds, cutting them for bouquets, bringing them into your studio and immortalizing them in glass. ♥ Love, Helen

Carols Glass
2008-08-28, 8:24am
You mean an indoor greenhouse or something? In Ohio, where I am, we get 3 warm months and the last few years it's only been warm 3 days in the summer, lol.

Not good for swimming!

helensharvest
2008-08-28, 8:32am
Aw, come on, Carol...they do it in Canada and Alaska. Inside every artist is a gardener. ;)Off to town to play music.♫ ♪ ♥ Love, Helen

Carols Glass
2008-08-28, 9:01am
They do what, Helen, a greenhouse or outdoor garden, come on, help me out here. I need to know where to start my garden. :-)

I have indoor plants, Moses in a basket, spider plants and lots of spider plants. I did have a rubber plant and one other plant I killed with overwatering.

Guess I'll google it.

helensharvest
2008-08-28, 10:15am
I suggest, Gardening Carol, that you build a 4' square raised bed in the sun protected from North wind, and fill it with organic compost you buy at a garden place. Start w/ any small flower plants, herbs, but get a few seeds, too. Radishes, lettuce are quick and make cute edging. Water them daily or so, and cover them when with plastic when frost comes and you have a great start, a mini greenhouse that should work....and don't forget the Pansies, come Spring. They're Winter flowers here, but probably Spring there. ♥

Carols Glass
2008-08-28, 11:39am
Thank you kindly, Helen,
I've always wanted to plant my own herbs, here's my chance!
I'm sorry, I just had no clue.
Carol

Carols Glass
2008-08-28, 11:42am
Play music? You mean among all your other God-given talents you play instruments, too? :jawdrop:

helensharvest
2008-08-29, 7:26am
Heehee, only fiddle. You ought to learn, too. The ambidexterity us lampworkers develop is conducive to playing instruments. It's truly so much easier. Go for it, my glass gardener, organic gardener and musical Friend! ♥ Love, Helen

helensharvest
2008-08-30, 5:57am
Just a note to let you know I will not be able to email "Sculpting..." if you buy it after gustav hits, for a while. I'll see if I can figure out a way from my laptop. I can, however for a couple more days...after that is iffy. We were almost a month w/o electricity last time. I will bring my laptop wherever we roam to keep in touch...any suggestions where there is glass/bead happenings? Might as well make a vacation of it. Thanks, ♥ Love and requesting your prayers, Helen

dgg112
2008-08-30, 6:07am
when is Gustav expected to arrive in your parts Helen???

helensharvest
2008-08-30, 6:23am
I'm watching the weather channel with its terrible funky elevator music, and it seems Tuesday -Thursday. Having plenty of time to batten down, take in the yard stuff, we are leaving Monday, when the highways will be clear. Doesn't St Louis have some glass stuff? Or maybe Louisville? Have you seen either? ♥

helensharvest
2008-08-30, 4:43pm
We're going to Austin, and will call it a mini vacation. I'll bring my laptop and try to keep in touch. ♥

Carols Glass
2008-08-30, 5:26pm
Helen, I read your pms/emails this morning and am praying for you. Please be safe, I don't know what I would do if something happened to my sweet friend, Helen! It made me cry just thinking of it.

helensharvest
2008-08-31, 4:29am
You are SO sweet, Carol. Thanks for thinking of me.
It's so funny. Chester who is usually slow and methodical is hyper like a monkey. But I who am the hyper one, in catastrophe, shut down w/ headache, dull and dumb, lacking sleep.
We have to pack and be out of here by tomorrow...no telling for how long. Hurricanes eat screens which you can't live w/o when the tropical winds bring the mosquitoes in, and you have no power, so Abraham is taking off the screens today, rather than slaying digital enemies in various games.:) Wonder if he'll complain?!?
I will try to pack and get out all my Beads today to be mailed from Austin...there's no church, stores, or anything open. We're refugees again, but it really is an adventure, since we did it almost exactly 3 years ago for rita. Chester is thinking hannah will be worse for us...we'll see. We will probably try to find a place closer to home so we can sneak in to check our stuff. They get freaked out about looters, army guys w/ guns pointed at you is scary, but they're ok if you are the porperty owner and can prove it. Guess we better carry real estate deed, too...didn't think of that.,,dull, I tell you.
I'll be posting to let you know how we are, and thanks again. ♥ Love, Helen

GlassGalore
2008-08-31, 11:29am
Sending prayers your way, Helen! I hope that the storms will not be as strong as they are predicting and move quickly through. Please keep in touch when you're able to.

helensharvest
2008-08-31, 11:58am
Thanks, Lisa. I'll try to check in when that strong east wind, which has already started here, blows us to Texas.:) ♥

Carols Glass
2008-09-02, 9:44am
Thanks, Lisa. I'll try to check in when that strong east wind, which has already started here, blows us to Texas.:) ♥

Are we there yet? :-k

helensharvest
2008-09-03, 4:24pm
I'm back, w/o effect. I did get to go drop a little cash at Blue Moon and see some Beads in real life rather than online or in books.:) AND, my Chester wants to start making huge stained glass lights, since there was a man he watched there. Then we'll be glassmates, with twin studios we shall build, heehee. Hope his dream lasts.
Please let me know if I can help you, my gardeners of glass. I'm at your service. ♥ Love, Helen