Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   New formulation of Effetre Super Clear (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302426)

greghumphrey 2017-09-07 6:12pm

New formulation of Effetre Super Clear

Has anyone tried the N]new formulation of Effetre Super Clear? If so does it resist boiling and scumming?

Thanks

KJohn 2017-09-07 8:15pm

I have some on the way, I am curious as well!

EmeryLawson 2017-09-08 8:09am

No, but it will be on my next glass order. Curious to see what everyone thinks.

dusty 2017-09-08 10:51am

What I've used doesn't have many bubbles at all. It's still just as scummy, though, and I think I've noticed that it has the same tendency for scum to come back even after skinning if it's hit with the wrong flame.

notrhydon 2017-09-08 11:30am

Dusty, sounds like it doesn't seem to outperform zephyr then right? I just ordered some zephyr to test out and when I heard about this I was kicking myself because it isn't cheap!

della 2017-09-08 8:12pm

notrhydon, you did the right thing imo. I NEVER used ANY clear better than Zephyr. I love it so... You do know you can often get seconds from the DH website? I have never had an issue with seconds.

dusty 2017-09-09 3:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by notrhydon (Post 4952993)
Dusty, sounds like it doesn't seem to outperform zephyr then right? I just ordered some zephyr to test out and when I heard about this I was kicking myself because it isn't cheap!

I prefer Zephyr and Aether. I've only used about half a pound of the new Effetre, and clears can vary wildly from pound to pound, but what I've tried is actually about as bubble-free as Zephyr, and probably more optically pure (less cords in it - probably not a concern for most beads, but it shows up in marbles). Using it costs a lot of time removing scum and stuff, though, and the scum can ruin a piece.

notrhydon 2017-09-09 6:06am

Good to know all that! Thanks Dusty!

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

notrhydon 2017-09-13 4:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by notrhydon (Post 4953119)
Good to know all that! Thanks Dusty!

Good call. The zephyr actually paid off. It's frustrating to make an implosion marble for an hour then not be able to see in it.

greghumphrey 2017-09-14 5:57pm

I should get my order next Wednesday. I can compare it against Uroburos and Cim clear. Hope it doesn't boil as easy or I have found the internal core for a my more expensive color beads :)

KJohn 2017-09-15 4:08am

So far, it is working well for me. I am using the thicker rods right now which tend to be more clear in any case, but I don't have many complaints so far. I did notice some scratches at the ends of the thicker rods, they could be removed easily. The regular size 5-6mm looks ok. The others are 8-9mm.