Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Torch Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Flame not completely blue... (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273539)

Mesnik 2014-12-20 3:51pm

Flame not completely blue...

1 Attachment(s)
This torch has seen maybe 15 hours of use, to a total of 4 times.

It seems to me that the flame used to be blue all the way until today...

I have cleaned it as per direction with no changes.

No matter small flame or large, i can't get it blue all the way.

I have a full propane and new oxy con. So no changes from the last 3 times I have use it.

What do you think?

2xMI 2014-12-20 8:14pm

Try doing a search on you tube for Pyronamix-- Kimberly posted a number of videos showing different torches with different flame settings. That might help you figure out what your flame should look like. Hope this helps.

Mimi

snoopdog6502 2014-12-20 8:18pm

A neutral flame should have a good 1/4" to 1/2" yellow feather at the torch tip.

The flame in the picture looks like an oxidizing flame.

hawkglass 2014-12-20 8:25pm

The flames neutral snoop ..with a beth the usualy come to a point like thay and the only way to tell the differance is the candles are all even witch means neutral flame if the outer are longer its reduing if the inner are longer it oxidizing ......id say its normal if you are running a higher psi of propane

Mesnik 2014-12-21 7:43am

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a close up of the candles from that same time.

Propane is about 4 to 5 psi and the concentrator is a 20 psi, 10 lpm...

I did try changing the flame, from oxidizing to reducing and the yellow at the tip didn't change much...

Kalorlo 2014-12-21 8:00am

That looks fairly normal to me - was it just that you were looking through your diddies at it before?

Mesnik 2014-12-21 10:45am

LOL

I know!!

These pictures I took with the glasses in front of the camera.

But you may be on to something...

I am a newbie and not used to look at the flame, so could be my engineering brain just acting up as usual!

Let me take a pic without the glasses...

istandalone24/7 2014-12-22 6:33am

that could be a few things.
dust in the atmosphere, poor ventilation (fumes building up), humidity etc.

Mesnik 2014-12-22 3:58pm

1 Attachment(s)
Based on your suggestions, istandalone, I closed the basement door and it seems to have made a bit of difference.

Now this pic does not have the glasses on the lens either.

Thanks for the help!

istandalone24/7 2014-12-23 6:31am

i get the same thing from time to time. i really think it's due to dust and pollen in the air (at least in my neck of the woods during certain seasons) most of the time,
but if it's a very humid damp dank day i get that red glow around the flame too.

Dragonharper 2014-12-23 7:55am

That looks like a normal Beth flame to me, I have both a bravo and a champion. My bravo looks like that with just the center going.

Mesnik 2014-12-23 8:24pm

Cool! Good to hear...erm...read!

Thanks again for the help!!

jhamilton117 2015-01-21 5:43am

That coloring can happen as a result of toxic fume build up in the flame atmosphere, please make sure your ventilation is setup and functioning properly. You also need to think about intake air, and if you have a furnace or gas water heater in your basement, you could be pulling there exhaust fumes back into your home which could cause a deadly situation.