Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Free Tutorials (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Snowdrops Bead Tutorial (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49300)

Ruth Nichols 2007-03-15 5:26pm

Snowdrops Bead Tutorial

Hi Everyone!

I thought I would share this info here for you to use and try since I posted it over on the other forum. I had promised it over there but I don't see any reason not to share it here too.

Snowdrops Bead Tutorial

First thing you will want to do is chose your base color(s) and make a shape that is pleasing to you. You can start your base bead in white, ivory, clear or what ever color you choose. I used white.

Make the shape as you will want it to look at the end of the bead with nice ends and good smooth shaping. I used white for my base color and one a deep transparent green and one a transparent blue or deep purple for the sky. Start encasing the bead by winding the glass on from the end of the bead toward the center and stop. Wrap around the bead with the green first then doing the blue or purple side last. Placing the green at the bottom of the bead with the blue or purple at the top.

Have pre-made plenty of green leaf stringers or vine stringers and some white stringers handy for your flowers. Make sure you have a sharp edged tool (knife or a CGM) to be able to manipulate the glass and flatten it in some areas.
After making the base bead, stripe on a selection of different lengths to make "stems and leaves of the flowers. Curve over some of the tops, leave some strait. Try some different colors for the shorter blades if you like.

Next, taking your white stringer, (I used black in this illustration because it shows up) make 3 short swipes for the flower head. It will look like an upside down V with a leg in the middle. BUT... this is important! Make your middle leg first as this will help in placement of the other two petals.

After you have the flower heads in place take a sharp edge tool and define the edges between the petals. Like an upside down V or almost a U shape. Here you can take your graphite pointing tool or a sharp blade and clean up the edges of your flower petals.

Don't admire your work to much! Put that baby in the kiln!

If you would like a list of the tools I used let me know.

MaryBeth 2007-03-15 6:38pm

Thanks, Ruth:waving:

rosebud101 2007-03-15 7:37pm

This looks great, and it's easy to understand. Thank you. I'm trying this tomorrow!

Mallory
rosebud101

squid 2007-03-15 7:53pm

very cool - and I love those flowers too!

Just Nancy 2007-03-16 5:11am

A use for my pounds and pounds of green I never use. Thanks. I will actually try this tutorial. ;)

Ruth Nichols 2007-03-16 11:39am

Great! I am happy that this is going to be a try it out tutorial! I would LOVE TO SEE what you guys all come up with!

Any new pictures to share? Don't worry if it's not perfect... I guess I should show my first attempt huh? LOL YIKES.....

Whimsey 2007-03-18 2:12pm

Thank you so much Ruth fot the tut. I won't be able to try it now until next weekend :( But you can be sure I am going to try it. Can I have your phone number in case I need help!

Wilma

tenor_ringer 2009-09-20 5:47am

Ruth,

Nice tut. Thanks for posting.

Ruth Nichols 2009-09-20 8:45am

I am happy that you guys liked the tutorial. :biggrin:

BeadBlossoms 2009-09-30 1:32pm

Thanks so much Ruth - it is wonderful for you to share it with everyone. I particularly appreciate the drawings, I'm a very visual learner :)

Thanks again!!

cakelady 2009-09-30 6:49pm

You rock Ruth. Great tutorial. When my hand heals , I am on it. thanks

Janetlee 2009-09-30 7:00pm

Thank you Bunches, Ruth for sharing the Great tut!!! \\:D/
I'm trying this one for sure this weekend.
I appreciate ya!:waving:
Janet

ROC 2009-09-30 7:20pm

Ruth, thanks so much for sharing this. I would love to know what tools you use on the flower petals. My past efforts have had dismal results with this type of floral. Hopefully I'll get to give your tutorial a shot this weekend.

Ruth Nichols 2009-10-05 6:28pm

My pleasure you guys! Glad you are trying it out... but I wanna see what you come up with. We need photos!

Karen Hardy 2009-10-05 7:51pm

Lovely, Ruth! Thanks!

Puddy Tat Glass 2009-10-05 7:59pm

Thanks Ruth. Very nicely done tut, easy to understand the step-by-step illustrations.

artiegirl 2010-08-26 6:52pm

Thanks Ruth it is so easy to understand and I will give a try

BeadBlossoms 2010-08-26 7:16pm

Wow, I love it! Thanks so much Ruth!!!! :)

Rose Leslie 2010-08-26 7:32pm

Thank you Ruth. That is awesome. Will try it tomorrow.

Ruth Nichols 2010-08-26 9:10pm

I hope it works out for all you guys.

Mitosis Glass 2010-08-27 8:25am

Thank you so much, Ruth! I love those kinds of flowers and I'll have to try this tutorial.

Meow Meow Beads 2010-08-28 4:57am

awesome! Thanks Ruth!

Barndoor 2020-11-03 7:00am

I love this. So pretty. Thankyou!