Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Those Pesky Purples - CiM (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281550)

Listenup 2015-09-11 8:34pm

Those Pesky Purples - CiM

Most of us know that purple glass photographs different under different light sources. I thought I would do up a handy-dandy chart to help you know which CiM colors do and don't change color. Enjoy!

Updated CiM Chart in post #26

Jennefer 2015-09-11 8:47pm

Thank you!

Listenup 2015-09-11 8:55pm

You're Welcome Jennefer.

CheriB 2015-09-11 9:36pm

Your color charts are such an amazing resource. Thanks for making them available!

Listenup 2015-09-11 9:50pm

I figure that if I want to know, then someone else out there might want to too. That's the secret behind my charts.

KJohn 2015-09-11 11:03pm

That is so interesting. And one reason I tend to avoid working with purple. I never know how it will turn out. Saving this, thanks!

Listenup 2015-09-11 11:28pm

These are all the same. I just took the picture of the beads on the rods in my studio, then carried the board into the kitchen and took the picture again. Personally, I feel that whenever you sell a bead with a color that changes due to light, you should show a picture of it in both lights. At a minimum, mention it in the description. 4 beads in that picture did not change at all. They're just there so you know they won't, or to show the opposite color (like the Raindrop).

Effetre has it's own colors that behave this way.
Transparents:
  • Lavender Blue
  • Dark Lavender
Opaques:
  • Alexandrite
  • Lavender

CheriB 2015-09-12 12:45am

Isn't there a transparent Effetre called Orion that does the same?

Listenup 2015-09-12 12:52am

Yep, just found it. I'm going to go through my book in the daylight to check and see if those are all. Then I may just decide to do a chart of them as well.

kokopelliegirl 2015-09-12 5:44am

Thank you! I made a crocus hollow bead, which I was pleased stayed translucent, but it is blue. I never thought to look at it in different light!

allicat 2015-09-12 6:04am

I'll be sending some of the CIM samples you didn't have the end of this coming week Kay. I also have some purples that I don't see above (Damson, Eggplant, I think I have Tranquility, Plum and maybe a couple others as well). Shall I send them along as well?

Also, Pink Champagne also does a bit of color changing in different light conditions; would you like a sample of that too?

Alli

Chocake 2015-09-12 8:16am

Thank you

Listenup 2015-09-12 1:48pm

Only if they change colors in the light Alli (and I do appreciate your asking). I think I do have many of those colors. I just need to know which ones to test.

I just looked at the other charts I have and it looks like Count Von Count will also change - need to find that one again. Tranquility is one I don't have. Pink Champagne I should have, but I can't find it offhand (must only be half of a rod I have left) - and would have never thought to check that one. So yet, if you wouldn't mind. I truly appreciate it!!!

Listenup 2015-09-12 1:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kokopelliegirl (Post 4788911)
Thank you! I made a crocus hollow bead, which I was pleased stayed translucent, but it is blue. I never thought to look at it in different light!

Check it and let us know. I used to tell the kids that these colors were magic and I'd let them hold a bead (actually I made ghosts) and let them take it from the living room to the kitchen. Great way to impress them.

Listenup 2015-09-12 1:58pm

Someone brought up a great point. If you're thinking of putting fluorescent lighting in your studio, the colors will be bluish as you're working on them as well - this does not just take place during photography.

The tips of my hair are the same way. They're purple, but if I'm under fluorescent light, they're blue. Kind of messes up the whole ombre look.

glvz 2015-09-12 3:01pm

Thanks for the chart-I tend to avoid those colors also but didn't realize crocus was one of the changers-never noticed it.

Georgia

Ravenesque 2015-09-16 11:19pm

Helpful! And effetre does it too of course, basically anything that's a pretty lavender :|
I don't buy them as I know I will get a customer complaint that they are blue lol

Listenup 2015-09-16 11:55pm

Yes, I'm making up a chart for them too.

Listenup 2015-09-21 9:58pm

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the Effetre Colors.

Angie09 2015-09-22 7:19am

Kay ... do you mind if we send these photos to our customers when we are selling purple beads?

Listenup 2015-09-22 3:01pm

Go for it, as long as you leave the copyright info intact. Be advised though that the CiM one will change. I'm going to remove the 4 that don't change color and add 3 that do.

Orion is a Effetre color that changes that I don't have so it's not on the chart either.

The charts are also on Pintrest.
https://www.pinterest.com/kaypowell102/my-glass-charts/

truegem 2015-09-24 2:44am

Are these all the CIM purples?

Listenup 2015-09-27 7:57pm

No, not yet. I still have to update the CiM chart, but we're redoing my son's bedroom right now and all of his crap...er stuff, is in my studio. Sorry for the delay. As for it being ALL of the purple colors of CiM, no - and some colors I haven't even seen yet.

Listenup 2015-09-27 9:14pm

As per the CiM website, there are 18 purples.
http://www.creationismessy.com/palette.aspx?id=8

Soupy 2015-09-28 11:37am

Awesome thread, thank you!

Listenup 2015-10-05 4:12pm

I just finished the new CiM Daylight Vs Fluorescent Light chart. Same permission to share as before. :love: you all!

swamper 2023-11-30 7:15am

This information is very interesting. Imagine dressing for work under regular lighting, then getting to your office and your necklace is totally off.

echeveria 2023-11-30 7:23am

I am just preparing to get rid of the fluorescent light over my kitchen sink. Hopefully the world is on track to replace everything with LED tubes. Our offices did that in 2008 since the light is so much brighter than the old fluorescents, and they last a lot longer. I wonder if the LED's shift the color? I will have to test that. Purple has such a fickle heart.

kevingreenbmx 2023-11-30 7:29am

to shed some light on this (hehe, pun) from the glass chemistry perspective:

The purples and pinks that shift depending on light source will be those based on praseodymium and neodymium (or, as a mixture, Didymium, just like our safety glasses).

There are other coloring additives that will not have this shift. Manganese purples will not exhibit this behavior. Nor will Cobalt/Gold Rubies and Amethysts.

echeveria 2023-11-30 7:31am

Good to know the chemistry Kevin!