Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Free Tutorials (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Double stitch viking knit tut...pics (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124031)

honey*bee 2009-03-07 1:47pm

Double stitch viking knit tut...pics

I had a couple people ask me how to do the double stitch so after trying to explain it verbally I figured I would take some pics... Hope these help.
Step 1 is single knit stitch.

Continue going up two rows at a time to finish your chain!

houptdavid 2009-03-07 2:26pm

Ok Now I gotta try the double again! Thanks Kristina!

honey*bee 2009-03-07 2:48pm

No prob, hope it helps!!

Chau Nguyen T 2009-03-07 3:05pm

Thank you Kristina. Now i know what i'm missing. I have to make a rope of single knit first; then, move up 2 rows to start the double knit, correct? The book has pictures exactly like your instruction. So when i went around the mandrel that my end and i don't know where should i go up or down.
That's perfect. I have a rope that's still on the dowel, i can use that to practice my double knit. I'm so happy. I can't wait to do it. Thanks.

honey*bee 2009-03-07 4:57pm

Great! Happy to help! Let me know if you have any questions.

lilacwind 2009-03-07 5:13pm

Ok, I think I have a mental block about the double. I get when you do three rounds, then go up and repeat the stitch. ..now I get lost. Do you do the double stitch for the three rounds? That means the first three rounds now have the double....and you have nowhere to go doing the double. Now do you do three more rounds then double them? From what I have tried to figure, it sounds like you just keep going. Do you do single and double at the same time after the first three rounds?

I have gotten so confused, I finally singled the whole chain, then have gone back over the whole chain with the double.I think the result must be pretty much the same, just not done the way it is described....

Thanks for your help,
Mimi
www.lilacwindartglass.etsy.com

honey*bee 2009-03-07 6:24pm

After you finish the first three rows of single stitch and you come back around to where you started then count up two loops and stitch your wire behind the second loop up. Do that all the way around. You should now have what looks like two rows close together like in the last pic. You aren't going to keep going up you are actually going to go down, let me explain...

After you have done the first row of double stitch count the rows where the wire is straight rather that the loops, because even though you have two loops they look like one.

If you keep doing this way, counting the rows you will see that you are actually moving down the dowel...

I hope this helps. Don't give up though just look at the pics real hard and look at your dowel and I promise you eventually it will just click and you will say "Oh Ya, I get it". LOL That's how it came to me.

bead crazy 2009-03-07 9:04pm

I will tell you what I do is I do the knit with single first in black or colored wire just a cheap craft wire I do many more than 3 usuall about 10 around so when I put it though the draw board I don't ruin my silver or copper wire because it gets smashed

honey*bee 2009-03-07 10:14pm

That is a good tip. I haven't really started using silver wire yet as I am still perfecting my skills and I don't want to waste money. Hopefully I will be ordering some soon.

The interesting thing with this knit is that I have found that you can cut it anywhere and then bind off the end. It's great when you are starting out and haven't quite perfected the drawing ratio.

bead crazy 2009-03-08 2:04am

I always do that I make a long rope and cut off what I need. It works just as good with the single knit too. When you use the different color then you can see how to do the double you will see where to start the double at

honey*bee 2009-03-08 7:59am

Ya, when I figured it out it was one of those "OH YA" moments! LOL

WireWeaver 2009-03-08 9:18am

I've been having computer problems and haven't been able to chime in until now. The photos posted showing how to begin working double knit have been great! I thought it might also be useful to show what a chain that is ALL double knit looks like. I have pulled out a photo from my tutorial on VK to show this. Working a few rows of single knit at the beginning of the chain are just to get things started. Once you begin working double knit, just keep going! The number of rounds you work is irrelevant.

Chau Nguyen T 2009-03-08 9:38am

I did the Double Viking Knit now. It's funny that i can say i'm cheating. I have a rope of 12" of single Viking Knit and i was trying to figure out how to do the Double knit. After Kristina tuts and some PM with her i took out the haft-done rope, thread in another new wire at the beginning and start to knit down. It looks like double knit. I don't know that the method is correct or it just a new way to do it? I wish i could take some pictures to show you guy.