Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boro Room (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Tiny squiggle bead question (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222734)

Kitty 2012-04-21 2:58pm

Tiny squiggle bead question

Hi all

Please excuse the awful pic!

I work with soft glass only and a client wants me to make very thin squiggle beads and they are just going to break I know with any amount of pressure on them. She wants them to be about 1/8 to 3/16 at the thinnest area and not too much bigger elsewhere. Don't think they will hold up to any wear but I want to try.

So my question is is will boro be any better as far as wear on a necklace? I have a pretty good torch, although I know it will take a lot longer to melt boro. Also, if you think boro is a good choice for this kind of delicate bead, where would you suggest I buy it from? I need it quickly.

Thanks so much!

Kitty

Lara 2012-04-21 5:20pm

Kitty, I don't work boro, but I would think it would be less likely to break. I don't nkow for sure, but that is where the gut goes.

deb tarry 2012-04-21 5:28pm

They would be stronger in boro Just a note though if you are making the bead then adding the squiggle make sure you have a good weld. I can't give any suggestions on where to buy as I am from Canada.

Three Muses Glass 2012-04-21 6:15pm

If you need it quickly, order from Mountain Glass Arts in Asheville. If you order in the morning, you'll probably have it the next day or the day after.

I think it would work but they'll still be delicate.

Angie09 2012-04-21 7:33pm

Kitty,

Do you just need clear boro? If so, I can send you some on Monday. I have LOTS!!!

Angie

Kitty 2012-04-22 3:23am

You guys are just awesome. Thanks so much. Angie I may take you up on that! As soon as I hear from her I will contact you. I really appreciate your kind gesture. I will definitely paypal you shipping moola. :)

Angie09 2012-04-22 6:26am

If you need a color, I have just about every color made. Thought I would be the "boro queen" but I'm just not as in to it as I used to be. Just let me know what color(s) and I'll include those as well. I'll cut the rods so shipping will be less. Don't ya just love custom orders??? :rolleyes:

gmkcpa 2012-04-22 4:03pm

The squiggle bead in boro is very strong. I've made several, all by accident. Start making a bead on a mandrel. After a few wraps get the bead release to release, pull out a tail as long as you like, burn the tail off and stick the bead in the kiln. Sometimes if I wrap too fast, using a 7mm or so rod, I put too much strain on the bead release, it breaks free of the mandrel and I can't finish the bead, so burn off that 7mm rod in a squiggly way. They make cool necklaces.

Kitty 2012-04-22 5:06pm

Hi Gerald,

Thanks so much. That is pretty much what I did for these. But she wants them to be 1/8 to 3/16 wide. Do you still think they will be strong that small?

Jngljnke 2012-04-22 7:19pm

I learned in soft, all off mandrel. I also had several things turn squiggly. Manyof them are still alive three years later. Make them in soft, then anneal.

gmkcpa 2012-04-23 6:23am

Glass is a very strong substance. And a jerk acting like Superman can
Break anything, but assuming no jerks around, 1/8 to 3/16" should be
Plenty strong enough.