Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Studio (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Planning a Dream Studio (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104362)

ginkgoglass 2008-09-14 6:06am

Planning a Dream Studio

I've been dreaming about my studio for a long time, and it looks like I may be able to convert my entire detached 2 car garage to a dedicated studio for my workspace and a teaching venue. We have very few flameworkers here in Memphis, but I am hoping to convince a few of them to teach some classes here in soft glass especially (since I am horrible at soft glass), and maybe bring in others from elsewhere. The studio will include fusing and flameworking, a reception area, a clean area, and display for sale. The torch table will be on casters and will be flexible so it can be used as a large workspace for other projects as well.

Here's my preliminary setup plan. Any comments or suggestions on what I need to change would be greatly appreciated!

ginkgoglass 2008-09-14 6:29am

Wow that is a horrible pic.

Ok changed it.

Shane 2008-09-14 7:15am

I'm jealous. Looks awesome. I wanta place that big with multiple torches etc. We'll want pics!

agw 2008-09-14 7:18am

Lana, I am a total newbie but have done many different crafts over the years and now lampworking; and have needed a sink for more than a few.

The one thing I would suggest is to make sure there is ample counter space beside the sink on at least one and preferably two sides for "dirty" and "clean" items.

Right now I have my washing machine beside my laundry sink that I use to clean my mandrels, prepare bead release, soak beads for removal from the mandrel etc... I'm sure you know way more than me about that :grin: but I don't think I could manage without it as a counter.

I'm sure you already have it factored in, just not specifically labelled in your floorpan, so just in case you didn't.... My two cents worth.

Otherwise, I'm in serious envy! I only wish I could come and take a class from you!

Curly Irish Girl 2008-09-14 8:06am

Looks like a great layout plan....the only thing I would think about, if it were me, would be a dedicated surface area for a small sand blasting booth (table top variety) if you like the effect....I would love to have a dedicated spot.....also don't know if you are also a "maker" of finished jewelry, but those little tiny pieces of findings and adornment take up lots of space....don't be like me and have them in little bags in large plastic sealing bins......also think of the tasks associated with your yearly inventory - make it easy on yourself.

ginkgoglass 2008-09-14 10:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by agw (Post 2067719)

The one thing I would suggest is to make sure there is ample counter space beside the sink on at least one and preferably two sides for "dirty" and "clean" items.

Right now I have my washing machine beside my laundry sink that I use to clean my mandrels, prepare bead release, soak beads for removal from the mandrel etc... I'm sure you know way more than me about that :grin: but I don't think I could manage without it as a counter.

I'm sure you already have it factored in, just not specifically labelled in your floorpan, so just in case you didn't.... My two cents worth.

Thank you, this is a great point! I did not think of that at all. I saw a commercial kitchen stainless sink which has space on both sides, which I think would be ideal.

ginkgoglass 2008-09-14 10:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly Irish Girl (Post 2067786)
a dedicated surface area for a small sand blasting booth (table top variety) if you like the effect....I would love to have a dedicated spot.....also don't know if you are also a "maker" of finished jewelry, but those little tiny pieces of findings and adornment take up lots of space....don't be like me and have them in little bags in large plastic sealing bins......also think of the tasks associated with your yearly inventory - make it easy on yourself.

Where would I find a tabletop sandblaster?
Another question is how to protect the area around the grinder from water splashing everywhere. I wonder if this is an issue with the Ameritool grinder?

As far as the jewelry finishing space -- I was thinking the clean area to the right of my computer area would have shelves above and space to work on things like this.

I love your suggestions -- keep em coming!

precious baubles 2008-09-19 11:51am

Wow - can I borrow that ?

Hi Ginko
I think you put a lot of thought and planning into this....AND I would like to "borrow" that plan....since I will be getting a new studio - in the next year! We just bought lake front property and we are building a 2 storey 2 car garage...and I will be getting half of the upstairs - what are the dimensions of your studio going to be....? will you be posting pics as you go along?
I have a problem envisioning future space...I usually have to re-arrange 35 times before I get the right configuration that works for me - So when I saw your drawing of your future space a bright light went on!
Nice plan...take care!
Paulette:wave:

agw 2008-09-19 12:18pm

Lana, glad I was able to help! That commercial sink sounds like it would be perfect!

ginkgoglass 2008-09-20 6:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by precious baubles (Post 2079240)
Hi Ginko
I think you put a lot of thought and planning into this....AND I would like to "borrow" that plan....since I will be getting a new studio - in the next year! We just bought lake front property and we are building a 2 storey 2 car garage...and I will be getting half of the upstairs - what are the dimensions of your studio going to be....? will you be posting pics as you go along?
I have a problem envisioning future space...I usually have to re-arrange 35 times before I get the right configuration that works for me - So when I saw your drawing of your future space a bright light went on!
Nice plan...take care!
Paulette:wave:

Paulette, borrow away!
Glad it inspired you to see the plan. I will be posting pics as we go along. Here's a couple of funny ones to get it started (my studio is a mess!)

Paul Ewing 2008-09-20 9:49am

Lana, where are you running your hoses/piping for the propane and oxygen? That is one of the biggest things causing me problems designing our next studio space.

As for table top sandblaster, Harbor Freight has a couple. Search for Blast on http://search.harborfreight.com then refine to Central Pneumatic for the manufacturer.

ginkgoglass 2008-09-20 4:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Ewing (Post 2080970)
Lana, where are you running your hoses/piping for the propane and oxygen? That is one of the biggest things causing me problems designing our next studio space.

As for table top sandblaster, Harbor Freight has a couple. Search for Blast on http://search.harborfreight.com then refine to Central Pneumatic for the manufacturer.

Thanks for the info on the Blaster.

This is a good question, and I don't have an answer . . . But I am looking into it. I have my propane and O2 in the garage right now which is by my choice, but that would be a no no with other people there. Also the liquid O2 is like a half a ton or something and takes up too much room. I think there may be a way to hard connect it through the floor and out to the back with flexible metal. If anyone knows how to do this please let us know.

The other issue is how to get makeup air to the studio and where to put it with the vent hood in the center of the room.

I'm looking into a hotel type heating cooling unit that would be mounted in the wall to help take the chill off or cool the room in the summer.

I will be researching all this and will post what I find out here. There are all sorts of problems that need to be worked out.

Here is a revised plan:

szglassy 2008-09-21 7:04am

I really love your logo/banner!

Did you design it?

yellowbird 2008-09-21 7:15am

I think the large kilns should be next to each other and if I dreaming they have a vent.

IF-Designs 2008-09-21 8:57am

I think the layout is interesting but I think one kiln isnt going to be enough if you want to have classes. I would do 2 at the very least on the table where people are working and you may want to make that table area pretty wide so people dont loose too much workspace to kiln placement...one thing to think about is people trying to put stuff into a kiln, are they going to be up moving around with hot beads etc? are they going to have to reach over and around their torches? Try to reduce the risk of injury as much as possible. Make sure you upate your homeowners insurance to cover classes there and liability...and make up or consult someone on wavers / realeases of liability for injury etc etc.

ginkgoglass 2008-09-21 12:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by szglassy (Post 2082529)
I really love your logo/banner!

Did you design it?

Thank you, my graphic artist boyfriend made it for me. I love it!
He is actually a artist blacksmith now, but worked for many years as a graphic artist.

ginkgoglass 2008-09-21 12:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IF-Designs (Post 2082732)
I think the layout is interesting but I think one kiln isnt going to be enough if you want to have classes. I would do 2 at the very least on the table where people are working and you may want to make that table area pretty wide so people dont loose too much workspace to kiln placement...one thing to think about is people trying to put stuff into a kiln, are they going to be up moving around with hot beads etc? are they going to have to reach over and around their torches? Try to reduce the risk of injury as much as possible. Make sure you upate your homeowners insurance to cover classes there and liability...and make up or consult someone on wavers / realeases of liability for injury etc etc.

Thanks for your input. I think there are kilns with bead doors on two sides which would be ideal and what I have in mind for the table. I've been in classes where the kiln was across the room and we made it work, and yes there were people holding hot beads over their heads to get to the kiln. I do have a small Paragon that could stay on the shelves behind me for additional space. Another option would be to just put stuff in fiber blankets and batch anneal after the class.

Kym 2008-09-21 12:41pm

Would two annealers (like the chillipeppers) back to back be good for the table? I assume the pic isn't to exact specifications cause how are you getting to the door of the smaller floor kiln?

Makes sense to the have the two floor kilns side by side.

Sand blasters would have their own air extracted hoods and sides wouldn't they (I want one soooo bad). Otherwise wouldn't the sand stuff end up everywhere? boy, you are going to need some electricity to run all this stuff!

What a dream. Pity you can't put the table and chair outside, it looks a bit of a crush to get through the doors.

Kym

ginkgoglass 2008-09-30 10:10am

What do you think of this Garage ventilation/cooling system? Obviously I would NOT vent into the attic but out the top of the garage roof. It is a 1350 cfm fan. Also wondering how many cfm's are needed for each torch station. Anyone use this or hear of it? I was thinking of installing it in the center of the garage roof over the torch table.

Garage ventilation/cooling system

Tesorobeads 2008-09-30 2:35pm

Wow look at all your lampworking space. I cannot wait to see pictures of how you progress.

Debbie

precious baubles 2008-10-01 7:59am

hi

how big is your space - length and width?
and how are you making out with the plan?
have you started?
P

Curly Irish Girl 2008-10-01 8:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Ewing (Post 2080970)

Paul - any suggestions on size of air compressor to accompany the blaster....seems like that is where the real cost comes into play.

Dasi 2008-10-01 11:26am

I recently finished my studio and I did not leave room for a photo tent and lights.....

Do you have plenty of glass storage? It is better to put glass on shelves that go floor to ceiling and bolt the unit to the wall. This way you do not have too much weight in cabinets that are mounted on the wall....

ginkgoglass 2008-10-02 8:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by precious baubles (Post 2104800)
how big is your space - length and width?
and how are you making out with the plan?
have you started?
P

I have not really measured yet -- just in the dreaming stage.

Paul, I do think I am going to have to push the torch table up to the north wall in order to run the gas hoses to the torches though.

Dasi, the main glass storage will be on the north wall for rods and such. Sheet glass will go on the west wall.

Crazy Woman 2008-10-03 1:47pm

Couple of suggestions that worked really well in our studio ~ If you can add windows, place them up high ~ long slender instead of squares. Lets more light in and gives you more space for cabinets and objects on the cabinets.

Put your outlets up high ~ things that are on the counter don't usually have long enough cords to reach all the way to the floor. And add more than you think you will need.

We made our workstations 42" high (I think) and use drafting stools. This allows the option of sitting or standing. We opted to have it coming out of the wall and use three sides for three stations rather than along the wall and facing the wall. I talk to the wall (boss) all the time and didn't want to do it in the studio :roll: We have the oxy and propane outside in the garage and used pvc pipe to run the hoses thru and under the workstations. Used quick connects so we can change out torches easily.

I use industrial shelving for our rod storage and it works well. I thought there would be plenty of room in a 14' x 25' studio for everything... not!!! Still have stained glass and fused glass storage out in the garage area.

I also have a central cabinet (birch map storage cabinet ~ a fantastic find for $25 :-D ) on casters in the middle of the studio that I covered the top with indoor/outdoor carpeting for extra space when putting projects together. Also used the indoor/outdoor carpeting on top of the cabinet that holds the Morton System.

No matter how much room you have ~ you could always use more. Or, as my husband says, if I build it ~ she will fill it !!! :biggrin:

If you need some photos, let me know... happy to share. Must be working fairly well as one of my students built a mini-me studio !!!

Have fun designing and creating your dream studio!

Edit: Just remembered we picked up some lapidary equipment and a flat lap at Glass Stock..... No room in the studio for those ~ so out in the garage area. So do you think I can park two cars in the studio and move the studio to the garage????? :poke:

ginkgoglass 2008-10-03 2:30pm

Leslie, I would love to see pics, please post them here if you like so everyone can enjoy them. Thanks for all your suggestions!

Crazy Woman 2008-10-17 3:58pm

Sorry, Lana ~ meant to get back to you on this..... I'll make a note to also send you some current photos.... It's a lot fuller than when first done... lol....

http://crazywomanglass.com/StudioWeb/index.html

Ellen Black 2008-10-18 4:34am

Leslie, what a fantastic space to create!

Crazy Woman 2008-10-20 2:26pm

Thanks, Ellen ~ Here's two photos of the 'lived in' studio..... vent hood is in and somehow it's not as neat and tidy as the photos from last year :rolleyes: Added the maple map file (a steal for $30) in the middle of the room and topped with carpet for lots of extra work space

ginkgoglass 2009-04-30 5:26pm

Ventilation, my head is spinning

My head is spinning from all the reading and calculations about ventilation, not fumes! I swear I really was good in math but I am overwhelmed trying to figure all this out. #-o

I have a 96 X 60 inch (8 x 5 foot) island workbench. I am going to build a hood to hang over the table and vent out the north side of the house with no bends. Passive makeup air will come in from that north wall as well moving over the table and out with the fumes.

The way I understand it is:

1. The hood can be a few inches less than the table as long as the flame is entirely under the hood.

2. 96 x 60 divided by 144 x 125 = 5000 cfms needed for the fan.

How high off the table does the hood need to be?
What else do I need to know?