Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Torch Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   New Mega Minor torch? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65899)

Venessa 2007-12-03 8:39pm

I got mine within a week to week and a half of ordering, but that's been since mid October.

Humble newbie 2007-12-04 6:19pm

I ordered it from Arrow Springs on 11/13/07. They got some in last week but are passing them out in order of when they were ordered. I'm cancelling my order as I nabbed the last one from another dealer, same price today. You may want to call them and see where you are on the waiting list.

MaryBeth 2007-12-07 3:20pm

I received a ship notice from AS yesterday. It looks like I will have it by Tuesday:-D

ellyloo 2008-01-18 8:07am

How is everyone liking them?

Venessa 2008-01-22 5:51pm

I love mine. I took it to the STL party this weekend, and several others liked it a lot as well. I can tell it is hotter, esp when I first got it-I was frying all of my soft glass!

villa design 2008-01-27 12:17am

Has anyone tried this torch with an oxycon? Thanks to Venessa, I'm thinking of buying one.

beadescape 2008-01-27 8:34am

I had a Minor and bought the Mega Minor in December. I was not happy with the torch until I added a second concentrator and now I am thrilled. There was hardly any difference between the two with one concentrator but two works well.

Humble newbie 2008-01-27 9:45am

I agree with Jan. It needs that second concentrator.

Nicker 2008-01-27 9:48am

I havent found that. I just made a huge 2 inch goddess on it with no problem at all.

Venessa 2008-01-27 6:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by villa design (Post 1610820)
Has anyone tried this torch with an oxycon? Thanks to Venessa, I'm thinking of buying one.

:cool: I don't know what you are talking about...lol

villa design 2008-01-27 6:40pm

Hmmm... maybe I need to borrow Vanessa's again and test the one oxycon theory. ;)

Venessa 2008-01-27 8:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by villa design (Post 1612350)
Hmmm... maybe I need to borrow Vanessa's again and test the one oxycon theory. ;)

Hmm, who is this Vanessa? She sounds generous. LOL

villa design 2008-01-27 8:27pm

Miss Venessa with an E ! :)

ewdb 2008-02-20 1:39pm

soooo all of you that have had this torch now for a few months, any updates on this thread? i'm most interested in the propane/one oxycon vs ng/one oxcon users.

also, how does it compare to a Mini CC?

I'm thinking of moving to a dual fuel system later this year and the Mini CC was my first choice due it being well known for maintaining great ambient heat for larger sculptural pieces - is the Mega minor as good in that area?

anything else y'all might have found out about this new torch?

The Glass Chef 2008-03-18 1:47pm

Okay, I am totally clueless on the torch buying thing but I am wanting a Mega Minor too. Why is it that you get 2 oxygen concentrators instead of one stronger one? Is there such a thing? How much does it cost for 2 oxy cons? Thanks in advance for your help.

oxydoc 2008-03-18 6:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wendyki (Post 1414638)
when I asked arrow springs today they said this would not run well on concentrators

but that they also hadnt had it hooked up so I will be interested in knowing more also :)

Hey Ya'll, we have the Mega Minor in our shop studio and it runs fantastic on an M15. We hooked up 2 M15s to just for the hell of it and we were burning thru 1" boro rod in seconds. My sister works with boro daily with this set up. She loves the Megs. I think 2 5 liter machines should do fine. jack

Nicker 2008-03-18 6:46pm

Arrow Springs said it wouldn't work on a concentrator? Huh, that's very odd. Everyone I know who has one has them on concetrators and tehy run just fine. I love my Mega it's on a concentrator and works just great!

The Glass Chef 2008-03-19 7:10am

Nicker,
Which concentrator do you use?

dogsrlove 2008-03-19 7:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicker (Post 1738515)
Arrow Springs said it wouldn't work on a concentrator? Huh, that's very odd. Everyone I know who has one has them on concetrators and tehy run just fine. I love my Mega it's on a concentrator and works just great!

AS couldn't have said that, perhaps you misunderstood? I tested the MM for Craig, on one and then on two concentrators for a month. Mighty fine little torch. I REALLY liked my colors that "popped" in boro.

Vanessa

Nicker 2008-03-19 9:19am

Well the quote oxydoc did from Wendyki a few posts above said Arrow Springs told him it wouldn't run well on one concentrator, so they must have said that to her at least.

Anyhow I find it runs fantastic on mine its a refurbished Alliance and I can do large pieces on it no problem.

Carolyn M 2008-04-09 1:02pm

I have a prototype Mega from Nortel and have been using it for a couple of weeks. I have it on one 5 liter oxycon and I find it is only slightly hotter than my minor. To do boro I would definitely recommend tanked oxy or two concentrators.

I really like this torch. I find it very easy to use for beads that require fine heat controll such as fine stringer work. It was easy to find the 'sweet spot' and the flame is strong and clean. I use a lot of silver colours, and after the first day or so I was easily able to strike and/or reduce them. The colours were phenomenal, they almost seem brighter than when I was using my Minor

The flame seems more focussed to me, but that may be my imagination.

All in all I would highly recommend this torch, and will be looking to purchase one soon.

The Glass Chef 2008-04-10 6:25am

Thank you, Carolyn! That is the information I was looking for! I know now that I will buy one too. Yay!
Peggy
The Glass Chef

glassactcc 2008-04-10 6:30am

Ok, what you said, I wanna do that:twisted: Is that hard to do, or can some unsuspecting husband do it? Talented husband of course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joebirder (Post 1410152)
I ordered one the other day from Arrow springs. I'm going to take it apart and mount it on top of my Redmax in place of the minor....
I can't wait..... \\:D/

Jeri 2008-04-10 2:27pm

I have to chime in that I love my mega minor and that I use it with an M-15 concentrator NO problem. Jeri

The Glass Chef 2008-04-11 4:47am

Okay, Mega Minor with an M15 concentrator. That was my next question. Cool!! Thanks everyone! What kind of M-15 do you have? Is there more than one brand?

Jeri 2008-04-11 5:18am

An M-15 is a model made by Unlimited Oxygen, I'm not sure if any other manufacturer calls it by that letter/number. Jeri

volkanokaren 2008-04-19 1:52am

Carolyne,is there any difference tn the look between the prototype and the one you well purchase

Karen
Volkano Exotik

drfab 2008-04-24 10:46am

Hi, I thought I'd chime in too. I love my mega minor. (It's Jeri's too!) and the new ones seem to have B-type hose fittings instead of hose barbs. That's good so you can use B-B hoses and no more hose clamps. Neil (aka Drfab)

Beadzz 2008-05-26 1:46am

Mine is on its way to me, can't wait to try it. Have a Minor now so i'm really curious :)

volkanokaren 2008-06-18 10:56pm

Mega minor with Ex 15 , I love it

Karen
Volkano Exotik