Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Torch Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Hothead to triple mix? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252259)

PatsyEmporium 2013-09-20 9:27am

Hothead to triple mix?

Too big of a jump? I've been reading about all the different torches and just lightly tossing ideas in my head. I want a torch that has a range of possible flame configurations.ive been working on my HH for 6 months +\- and feel comfortable on it. I'd prefer to upgrade torches only once if possible also. The lynx looks pretty cool-

Silver Moon Lampwork 2013-09-20 10:06am

I'm no expert and I'm sure others will chime in. I don't see any reason not to go for it and get the torch you really want now rather than later.

Lorraine Chandler 2013-09-20 5:15pm

You can always sell it if it doesn't work well for you and you won't know until you try.:waving:

De Anza Art Glass Club 2013-09-20 5:32pm

I see from your ETSY page that you're in Sacramento. If you're going to be at the SGB NorCal meeting tomorrow, I can bring one for you to try. Let me know soon, because I'm packing the car up now. (P.S. my PMs aren't working, so just reply in this thread)

PatsyEmporium 2013-09-20 6:35pm

Ah thanks but I work a 12 hour shift tomorrow:( I'll look up SGB NorCal I haven't heard of it is it a lampworking group :)

De Anza Art Glass Club 2013-09-20 7:35pm

SGB NorCal is the local ISGB chapter. There should be a meeting at Arrow Springs sometime in the next couple of months. There was one scheduled for that location a few months ago, but Arrow Springs moved locations and their studio wasn't ready yet. Next month's meeting is in Petaluma. There's no meeting in November, and the December meeting will be at Sharon Peters' in Alameda (Christmas party).

ISGB Western Region: http://www.isgb.org/regional-information/west.html
Northern California chapter: http://www.sgbnorcal.org

PatsyEmporium 2013-09-20 8:33pm

Thx :)

kbinkster 2013-09-21 6:43am

Hey, I moved from a Hot Head to a Lynx after working on a Hot Head for 6-7 months! What prompted me to make the upgrade was going to a bead meeting and watching someone use a Lynx to encase a bead like it was nothing. I mean, she just heated up that clear and wrapped it right around the base bead with ease. I stood there amazed because encasing was something I was really interested in but I struggled to encase on my Hot Head.

When I first got it, I borrowed the GTT instructional VHS (this is how long ago it was) from the vendor who sold me my torch and watched it two or three times just to make sure I knew what I was doing (the video is now on YouTube, but, really, the included instructions were sufficient - I was just anxious about getting started). I sat down with the torch and played with the knobs and flame so I could get a feel for what everything did before I put glass in front of it. Once I did put some glass in the flame, I was hooked. :lol: I later ordered a Phantom, and that's when I met my husband.

There is a learning curve, but it isn't a big one. Things can get a lot hotter a lot faster and you can adjust this by running a small flame or working further out in a regular-sized flame or working just outside the edges of the flame while you get used to moving a little faster.

My advice would be to use the Lynx as a standard mix (except for using the pin point flame -learn that flame now) until you get used to the extra heat, and then start exploring the triple mix feature. To use the Lynx as a standard mix, adjust your flame using the green and red valves, only, and just crack open the blue valve a tiny bit. To get the pin point flame, make a flame using only the red and blue valve, and have the green valve off.

Learn to adjust your flame chemistry by looking at your candles. A typical flame used to work soft glass beads might have candles that are 1/4" to 3/8" long. If your candles are 3/8" long, then white/yellow tips that are about 1-2mm would indicate a neutral flame. Longer tips that streak and feather would indicate a fuel-rich, or reducing, flame and shorter tips to no tips would indicate an oxygen-rich, or oxidizing, flame. The shorter you run your candles, the shorter you will want your tips to be. If you are running 1/4" candles or shorter, you will want there to be no tips on the ends of the candles.

It's wonderful to have such control over the flame chemistry! You are really going to have fun!

AmorphousDesigns 2013-09-21 8:21am

Susan, if you want to try a Lynx, I have a Phantom which has a Lynx center fire and I live within comfortable driving distance of Sacramento. PM me if you are interested in trying it out. I have soft and boro so you could try different glass with it too.

PatsyEmporium 2013-09-21 12:10pm

Wow thanks for all the info!! I don't know what I would do without the forum. I don't know what kind of upgrade I'm going to make or when but having as much info as possible is of course the key! Someone offered me a cricket (?i think) and an OxyCon for a good price but I haven't been able to come up with the cash yet I'll have to talk to her cause I don't want to leave her hanging but I really don't know what to do yet, it is quit a very important decision and investment.
Thanks Elizabeth I'll pm you